PDA

View Full Version : Big Positive

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I really think our secondary is playing well for a unit that is missing two starters and also had Rouse and Collins nicked up or out in games. We are 1st in the NFL in interceptions, 3rd in pass deflections--yet we are 2nd in the NFC in passing yards allowed at ~186 yds/game. This with a pass rush that isn't close to last year's pass rush. Obviously, three obvious guys that deserve praise are Woodson, Collins, and Tramon Williams. Woodson and Collins are playing like All-Pros and Tramon Williams is playing like a legit solid NFL starter. Also, Brandon Chillar deserves praise in the two games he's played a lot. Limiting two very good TEs (Witten and Clark) to pedestrian games--despite whatever stats they may have accumulated.

Think about this:
51.7 completion %, 186 yards/game, 9 TDs, 13 interceptions, 5.0 yards allowed/pass play

Anybody know what the passer rating for opposing QBs has been?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
There is no way our secondary is performing well. That would be impossible since KS hasn't been fired.

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey, I'll even give it up to Kurt. His guys are playing lights out.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2008, 10:26 PM
I saw you write Bob. I'm holding your feet to the fire.

BF4MVP
10-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I thought I heard on the radio this morning that opponents' passer rating against the Packers is like 62...Could be wrong, but the rating's definitely terrible. The pass defense has done a great job.

Joemailman
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I really think our secondary is playing well for a unit that is missing two starters and also had Rouse and Collins nicked up or out in games. We are 1st in the NFL in interceptions, 3rd in pass deflections--yet we are 2nd in the NFC in passing yards allowed at ~186 yds/game. This with a pass rush that isn't close to last year's pass rush. Obviously, three obvious guys that deserve praise are Woodson, Collins, and Tramon Williams. Woodson and Collins are playing like All-Pros and Tramon Williams is playing like a legit solid NFL starter. Also, Brandon Chillar deserves praise in the two games he's played a lot. Limiting two very good TEs (Witten and Clark) to pedestrian games--despite whatever stats they may have accumulated.

Think about this:
51.7 completion %, 186 yards/game, 9 TDs, 13 interceptions, 5.0 yards allowed/pass play

Anybody know what the passer rating for opposing QBs has been?

58.15 http://home.new.rr.com/rosslahaye/

Patler
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
I thought I heard on the radio this morning that opponents' passer rating against the Packers is like 62...Could be wrong, but the rating's definitely terrible. The pass defense has done a great job.

Per the NFL stats its 59.5, #2 in the league to Tennessee at 57.2
The have a league best completion % against at 51.7

oregonpackfan
10-21-2008, 12:08 AM
You bring up good points, Harvey. I agree.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 05:38 AM
Somebody needs to let B know that Chillar was a FA pickup.

packrulz
10-21-2008, 06:25 AM
I too have been impressed, although the coverage sucked in the losses, I do think Tramon Williams is getting better with more experience, Collins and Woodson are getting some picks, Jeremy Thompson has been playing pretty well for a rookie at DE, once Harris, Bigby, and the rest of the vets get back they'll have great depth on the D. Harrell needs to get his ass in gear and get in playing shape.

LL2
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
The secondary has been the pleasant surprise of the season. I hope they can keep it up throughout the year, and get even better when Harris and Bigby come back.

We play Tennessee after the bye...that is going to be a good game.

mraynrand
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
That's the strength of the defense, by far. Sometimes gameplans work out because you play a team at the right time. The Packers risked it a little bit playing mostly nickle against the Colts, but they could do it because the Colts don't run as much and they couldn't run as much on Sunday. But Woodson was inside Wayne's uniform the entire day, and you could see Harrison and Gonzales getting frustrated having Blackmon and Williams draped all over them on every damn play. Chillar was enough against Clark. Harrison pretty much quit after Collins tipped that TD pass away. It will be interesting to see what they do when they have to completely shift gears to play Tennessee. That game will have a completely different look and they will be asking Poppinga and Hawk to play the run like Chillar and Blackmon played the pass against the Colts.

Harlan Huckleby
10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Jeremy Thompson has been playing pretty well for a rookie at DE,

The reports on him were so bad from last summer, the bar was set at about ankle high. How did he play Sunday? He obviously has the size and build to be a player, it would be great if he could hold his own this season. Maybe they will keep in the rotation when Hunter and Montgomery return.

Deputy Nutz
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
With the trade of Favre, and the amount of injuries this year compared to years past under McCarthy this team is doing better than expected going into the bye week. The defensive line is a mess, and Barnett is playing less than average, Hawk has been hurt with the chest in the preseason and now the groin injury. Bigby has played in one game, and Harris has been out since week three. Clifton is a shell of his former self, and Ryan Grant is not the Ryan Grant of the last half of 2007.

So this team has not put all the pieces together and yet they sit at 4-3, and I will take that.

When Bigby comes back, does he replace Rouse or does the Packers coaching staff rotate them do to matchups week in and week out like they chose to do with Chillar?

mraynrand
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Thompson played better Sunday. Saw him shed some blocks to help on tackles. Didn't get pushed all over the fiel. Clifton was better too. Freeney had a couple of good pressures, but not much else. Clifton got some help with crucial chips from backs. Hawk was hurting. He was running funny coming out of the tunnel. Very stiff.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
When Bigby comes back, does he replace Rouse or does the Packers coaching staff rotate them do to matchups week in and week out like they chose to do with Chillar?

I'm guessing Bigby starts. I get the feeling that they are thankful as Rouse as a backup, that he's had his moments, but he hasn't done enough (e.g. he's had some breakdowns, bad games mixed in with the good plays) to unseat Bigby.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Thompson played better Sunday. Saw him shed some blocks to help on tackles. Didn't get pushed all over the fiel. Clifton was better too. Freeney had a couple of good pressures, but not much else. Clifton got some help with crucial chips from backs. Hawk was hurting. He was running funny coming out of the tunnel. Very stiff.

I agree with this--although I didn't watch Thompson that close. I do know that I felt like Thompson was a liability before this last game.

mraynrand
10-21-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm guessing Bigby starts. I get the feeling that they are thankful as Rouse as a backup, that he's had his moments, but he hasn't done enough (e.g. he's had some breakdowns, bad games mixed in with the good plays) to unseat Bigby.

Right now, you can see that Rouse is just slow to react overall. He had that nice break for the Int, but the pass was way late. Watching Rouse in the secondary, it looks like his recognition isn't all that quick - he's thinking it through, then moving.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Right now, you can see that Rouse is just slow to react overall. He had that nice break for the Int, but the pass was way late. Watching Rouse in the secondary, it looks like his recognition isn't all that quick - he's thinking it through, then moving.
That's what you get with a project like him at S. Maybe the switch will finally go off for him this season. Not like we have any mentors on the roster that these guys can learn from. They are all pretty young.

Partial
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM

I think they should start him and unleash the Hawk.

They could play a base defense in most cases now.

Partial
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM

I agree with this--although I didn't watch Thompson that close. I do know that I felt like Thompson was a liability before this last game.

I've heard that MM won't get his starting spot back unless Thompson seriously falters. I don't have a problem with that because MM was A) The back-up originally, B) a 4th year guy who hasn't shown to be anything more than a guy

Partial
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM

That's what you get with a project like him at S. Maybe the switch will finally go off for him this season. Not like we have any mentors on the roster that these guys can learn from. They are all pretty young.

He's a very good back-up safety. I think he'll continue to develop. My concerns at that he will lose some speed and then he'll be screwed.

mraynrand
10-21-2008, 01:14 PM

What do you mean by project? I see him as a young guy with less experience.

Charles Woodson by all reports has been pretty influential in he training area. Woodson and Harris have tons of experience and can 'mentor.' That's probably better for corners, but they probably have all sort so f useful tips for safeties. And the light seems to have turned on for Collins at safety. Why can't he mentor? Why can't Rouse pick it up from coaching?

MJZiggy
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM

I think they should start him and unleash the Hawk.

They could play a base defense in most cases now.

They shouldn't be unleashing Hawk until the groin heals and he is at full speed.

Noodle
10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
They shouldn't be unleashing Hawk until the groin heals and he is at full speed.

Exactly. Good coaches don't ask guys to do stuff they can't physically do.

On the topic, that completion percentage is astounding given how non-existent the pass rush has been. No way we should be doing that well.

I think the pass defense will get even better when Bigby returns and brings that intimidation factor to the package. He's no Harrison or Lott, but he can bring some wood, and that matters a lot in taking away routes over the middle.