PDA

View Full Version : Camera - Help!!

GrnBay007
10-20-2008, 11:31 PM
I am looking for advise in purchasing a new camera. The digital camera we have now takes great pics when just taking a pic in the house or yard.

What I'm looking for is a camera to take good, close up pictures at sporting events from the stands....either indoor or outdoor. I've been going down on the field or right behind the players on the court when I can, but that's not always possible.

The problem I've been having with our current camera is mainly indoor pictures in the gym. They are always coming out dark. Someone suggested not using a flash due to the lighting in the gym but when I tried that the pictures come out brighter, but they are not clear at all. The camera we have has several different settings but I've tried them all and can't get good indoor pictures in a gym at a sporting event.

Any suggestions?

Joemailman
10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Ask Ziggy. She was taking lots of pics at the Posters game.

Zool
10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I am looking for advise in purchasing a new camera. The digital camera we have now takes great pics when just taking a pic in the house or yard.

What I'm looking for is a camera to take good, close up pictures at sporting events from the stands....either indoor or outdoor. I've been going down on the field or right behind the players on the court when I can, but that's not always possible.

The problem I've been having with our current camera is mainly indoor pictures in the gym. They are always coming out dark. Someone suggested not using a flash due to the lighting in the gym but when I tried that the pictures come out brighter, but they are not clear at all. The camera we have has several different settings but I've tried them all and can't get good indoor pictures in a gym at a sporting event.

Any suggestions?

As with everything, it depends on your price range. I have a pro photographer friend, and he always tells me Canon or Nikon. Ive had both, and I love my current Canon PS A710. Great zoom, can add lenses and was ~$200.

GrnBay007
10-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I would like to get something under $350. Like I said, our current camera is great for regular stuff...I just want to get something that can take good pics, indoor/outdoor from the stands at the kid's sporting events. ....hoping I can find that under $350. That's my budget for my x-mas present to myself. :oops: lol

I really don't know anything about digital cameras and what is important to look for.....you know, all the mumbo jumbo talk. :D

Partial
10-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Any suggestions?

Use a shorter shutter speed and open the aperture.

Do some googling. It's not the camera. It's the lighting.

If you want to get up into the SLR level, the Canon Rebel is always a solid choice and fairly inexpensive. Check Craigslist or some used local camera shops. You can find some gems for very inexpensive.

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 12:32 AM

What's that? :shock:

Partial
10-21-2008, 12:38 AM

What's that? :shock:

You're getting blurry pictures because the room isn't super duper bright, and you're having to hold your camera still for 1/60th of a second or so versus 1/500th.

If you used a tripod inside or from the sideline, you will get much better looking shots, but sometimes thats not feasible.

In that case, get the aperture up (will open the whole that draws in light bigger), so you don't need to have it open as long, and thus having blurrier photos.

My roomate is a fashion photographer. I'll ask him what he thinks will be the best solution tomorrow.

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 12:46 AM
My roomate is a fashion photographer. I'll ask him what he thinks will be the best solution tomorrow.

Great! Please do ask. But also let him know this is action....not fashion.

:lol:

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
www.dpreview.com

retailguy
10-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Ziggy & MTP were using a Canon S3i. You can get one on ebay for about $300.

I don't know much about camera's but this was a 6 or 8 megapixel with a 12x zoom.

packinpatland
10-21-2008, 08:52 AM
I use a Canon Rebel XTi...........never been disappointed.
This was taken last year at the Bears game.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s229/packinpatland/Rodgers.jpg

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Dang, were you on the field? :wink:

Great pic!!

GBRulz
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM

I don't know much about camera's but this was a 6 or 8 megapixel with a 12x zoom.

I would bet they are much less than that. You can buy the newest model, the 10mp with a 20x zoom for under $400 new at most places.

I have a Canon SLR, but it's a pain to lug around the camera and lenses for everyday use. My "purse" camera is a Canon SD110, which takes excellent pics and it's small, but only a 3x zoom.

I think an SLR is too much camera for 007 and I think a small point and shoot won't have the zoom that she is looking for. I suggest a mid-size camera, which IF you eventually do want to get into an SLR, many feature the manual settings for you to learn on. For the everyday user, there are all the pre-set modes, as well.

Here is Canon's (yes, I am partial to Canon) latest and greatest camera in the mid-range size. Has an excellent 20x optical zoom, 10mp, large LCD, Image Stabilization, which would help with those indoor low lighting shots.....etc.

http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=224328&catOid=-16941

More info on Canon's site....
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17630

That would be my suggestion for your Christmas present :P

GBRulz
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
why is my post blank?

nm

Zool
10-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Fixed....had a space in a url.

GBRulz
10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Fixed....had a space in a url.

TY, Zool !

packinpatland
10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Dang, were you on the field? :wink:

Great pic!!

No, but we did have good seats. :lol:
While I agree with GBR about the size of camera, altho when I first got it, it seemed huge, it doesn't now. What I like most about the camera is the ability to take rapid shots.

Iron Mike
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Great! Please do ask. But also let him know this is action....not fashion.

:lol:

We have Canon Powershot S5 IS cameras at the office.
http://www.jjmehta.com/images/canon_s5_4.jpg

And it's neither action, nor fashion. :oops:

MadtownPacker
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM

I don't know much about camera's but this was a 6 or 8 megapixel with a 12x zoom.You Gabachos are always getting hustled!

I paid like $250 and that was in Dec 2006 after I got my old one ripped off at the @49ers game that month. The newer model is about the same price now.

Here is a nice one for that price:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon-PowerShot-SX110-IS-9-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-Black-SX110ISK/sem/rpsm/oid/221270/catOid/-16941/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Here is the neest version of the one I used at the ATL game.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon-SX10-IS-10-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-SX10IS/sem/rpsm/oid/224328/catOid/-16941/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 05:38 PM

If thats what you really want, you'd be best served to save up and get a more expensive digital SLR camera with a 300mm lens
check out the Oympus E-510 and Nikon D80. They are Consumer Reports highest rated consumer digital SLR's. I have the Olympus E-510, 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses.

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
www.dpreview.com

I second this website.

If thats what you really want, you'd be best served to save up and get a more expensive digital SLR camera with a 50-200mm lens
check out the Oympus E-510 and Nikon D80. They are Consumer Reports highest rated consumer digital SLR's. I have the Olympus E-510, 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses. The 50-200mm is much nicer

Partial
10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
She just wants something that isn't blurry when items are moving. That doesn't require an SLR. As a matter of fact, if you don't know how to shoot with a regular camera, and SLR certainly isn't going to make it any easier.

I am sure she gets great motion shots in July on a bright, summer day. I would bet my bottom dollar that she does. Why? Because the shutter is open for 1/500th of a second and it is far too short of an increment to let the wobble of human hands affect the shot clarity.

aperture - how much light is getting in, the more light, the better.

shutter speed - how long the hole letting the light in is open

With moving objects, clearly you want as small of a shutter speed as possible so it can gather the image quickly. He child will be flurry running a post down the field at 1/60th of a second. A 20k camera isn't going to change that fact.

View the shot on this page:
http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

That is with a very cheap camera and a super fast shutter speed. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to capture that moment. Short shutter speed allow for motion shots as such.

I'm very confident your camera is capable of doing what you want. It's just a matter of reading the manual once you understand aperture, etc, and making the necessary adjustments.

My roomate says 99% of photography is knowing how to use the camera, and having the proper lighting equipment. He can get great shots, far better than Pips shots (which are very good) with a cheap 100 dollar digital. DON't, I repeat DON'T waste your money on a new camera.

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Pdouche-
you seem to grasp the concept of photography. However no one is suggesting she spend 20K(pffft?) on a camera. If she spends more than a couple hundred on a quality digital SLR camera and lens and gets awesome photos, she will never regret it. Her kids will only be young playing sports once. Her photos will be the envy of all the other moms she hangs with.

Partial
10-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree that it would produce better pictures, but what I am saying is until she grasps the concepts of how to take a good picture, the SLR isn't going to accomplish much besides further confuse her. There's only so much the automatic settings on the camera will do, ya know?

I think she'll be fine with what she has. I'd invest in a tripod before a new camera first and foremost. That will make the biggest difference in high quality in home shots where the lighting is never great. To improve the outside shots when its not bright and sunny she'll need to read up on how cameras work more.

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a tripod and I never use it unless i'm trying to take a picture of the moon.
I'd rather get a quality camera and lens and learn as I go
here's a picture I took the first day I had my new camera and I had no idea how to use it:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/jpopp79/olympus%20e510%20album/Chase71908olymastered1680x1.jpg

MJZiggy
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
If she has a 3x zoom, she's not fine with what she has for taking sport shots. I even have the add-on lens for my S3IS and it has 12X zoom to begin with. That camera is automatic enough that it takes better, clearer shots in lower light than other cameras I have owned. It might not be PIPL good (she knows what she's doing with a good camera) but the price is good and the camera does a good job and is easy to use.

Partial
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
If she has a 3x zoom, she's not fine with what she has for taking sport shots. I even have the add-on lens for my S3IS and it has 12X zoom to begin with. That camera is automatic enough that it takes better, clearer shots in lower light than other cameras I have owned. It might not be PIPL good (she knows what she's doing with a good camera) but the price is good and the camera does a good job and is easy to use.

Zig I have had a Panasonic FZ20 aka a slightly nicer camera and it doesn't make a difference. Sure, the zoom is nice, but if you're going to go to that level might as well get the DSLR imo.

MJZiggy
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Dude, she said she wanted to take tighter action shots of her kids. Listen to what she says she wants before you decide what's sufficient for her. A 3x zoom will not take close-up action shots from the stands.

http://packerrats.com/images/stories/grant100508.jpg

packinpatland
10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Partial, I'm going to agree with you that a good working knowledge of how a camera, any camera, works is the most important tool there is.

GBRulz
10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
If thats what you really want, you'd be best served to save up and get a more expensive digital SLR camera with a 300mm lens

See, at training camp this year I was trying out my new 70-300mm lens, which I actually returned. I found that the lens will not give a low enough aperture setting at the 300mm end with a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. End result, lots of blurred shots. I'm sure I would not have had this problem with a lower F stop lens, which adds $1,000 to the price!! I understand that lenses are something that you just don't go cheap on, plus they never get outdated. However, for the kind of things that I like to take pics of, I think my next investment will be the EF 15mm "fish eye" lens.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I paid like $250.......

And you call yourself a Mexican. Aren't you people supposed to steal that shit?

GoPackGo
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM

See, at training camp this year I was trying out my new 70-300mm lens, which I actually returned. I found that the lens will not give a low enough aperture setting at the 300mm end with a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. End result, lots of blurred shots. I'm sure I would not have had this problem with a lower F stop lens, which adds $1,000 to the price!! I understand that lenses are something that you just don't go cheap on, plus they never get outdated. However, for the kind of things that I like to take pics of, I think my next investment will be the EF 15mm "fish eye" lens.

word. I actually updated that post and replaced 300mm with 50-200mm. You can definitely spend a lot so its best to research the hell out of everything before you buy. The info is out there. cameras can be fun!

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
cameras can be fun!

There are TOOOOO many out there to choose from. :shock:
That's the reason I asked here, to find out what cameras people here have...maybe what they like or don't like about it. The camera we have here is actually my daughter's that she got as a gift, so I want one of my own anyway and since I'm buying one I want to make sure it will take good indoor/outdoor sports shots.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I almost feel like I should take a class...lol

MJZiggy
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Check out the website Scott posted. It's really very good and gives great information about any camera you might be interested in.

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that link SC. Lots of good info there.

GBRulz
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM

word. I actually updated that post and replaced 300mm with 50-200mm. You can definitely spend a lot so its best to research the hell out of everything before you buy. The info is out there. cameras can be fun!

Yeah, I realized that later!! You can research the heck out of anything before you buy it and still not like what you bought. I cannot tell you how many cameras and lenses that I have bought and returned, even though it received alot of good reviews. Until it's in your hands and you get the feel of it, you really don't know if you'll like it or not.

So, 007.... I suggest you go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and start putzing around with the cameras. Make notes about what you like and then buy from a place that does not have a restocking fee, just incase you don't like it!!

PS, a new feature on the new Canon powershots is where you can keep part of the picture in color, the other part in b/w. Yes, I know you can edit stuff like this in photoshop, but it's just the convenience factor. Here are a couple examples...no editing was done with this, it's all the camera.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/IMG_0148.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/231.jpg

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I wrote this earlier today, before reading most of these posts.

Many people need 2 of them. It’s affordable for many people now, as the cheap point and shoots are under $200.
1) One of the tiny point and shoot cameras that you keep on you all the time in your briefcase or purse.
2) A more advanced camera for when you plan on taking great shots. It will be bigger, so you won’t carry it on you all the time. I’m guessing that that Michele and PIP use them.

Things I like about my Canon S3:

• Pictures. The results are uniformly stunning.
• AA Batteries. If my rechargeables run out I can buy alkeline batteries at the corner 7-11 in a pinch.
• Widescreen - 16:9. I leave it on as the default setting. Most of the time we look at pictures on the PC or TV, and both are widescreen formats. On these displays pictures look much better than standard 4:3 shots.
• Video. It works so well I wouldn’t bother buying a dedicated video camera.

Things I don’t like about my Canon S3:

• Viewfinder. You don’t get great viewfinders until you move into SLR’s. I didn’t realize what I was missing until I took a few shots for a woman with her Rebel XSi at a wedding. You really need to try one to understand why it’s such a big deal. Amazing.
• The LCD display size is too small. (2 inches)

I also have the pretty highly regarded Canon 700IS. It’s tiny, and I think that’s part of the problem with it. Some of the pictures turn out great, but too many of them are blurry. I think my kids and my wife move the camera body slightly when they press the shutter. My S3 is weightier and doesn’t move around as much.

Two new SLR cameras coming out are going to shake things up pretty good. The Nikon D90 ($900 kit?) and the Canon 50D ($2700 body only). Both include HD video capabilities. It’s a big deal because the optics on a high end camera smoke those on camcorders. So it only makes sense to take advantage of those optics. They’re first generation, and they both have flaws - the D90 more so. I expect HD video to be better with 2nd generation implementations, and the feature should become standard on sub $1000 SLR cameras within the next 2 years. That’s when I’ll buy one. At some point you'll see HD video showing up on pro-sumer models like the S3 too.

Batteries - Sanyo Eneloops, or any of the pre-charged or low discharge rechargeable batteries. Any camera using standard AA's or AAA's can use them, and that makes the camera more attractive to me. Proprietary batteries suck. If you use rechargeables, I suggest you start buying these.

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
This is all very interesting as I'm picking up on some terminology here that even if I had gone to a store and checked them out I may have had no clue what they mean.

Anyone care to post a quick read, important things to include, glossary? lol
:D

Wow, you guys are camera tech-savvy! :D

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM

The latest Rebel XSi at $600 kit price for the body and lens is a ridiculously good bargain.

GrnBay007
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM

The latest Rebel XSi at $600 kit price for the body and lens is a ridiculously good bargain.

I saw that. Is the XSi and update of the XTi?

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 11:21 PM
This is all very interesting as I'm picking up on some terminology here that even if I had gone to a store and checked them out I may have had no clue what they mean.

Anyone care to post a quick read, important things to include, glossary? lol
:D

Wow, you guys are camera tech-savvy! :D

I almost forgot. You definitely want one that does HDLS.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM

I saw that. Is the XSi and update of the XTi?

I believe so. If you get an SLR (body that accepts multiple lenses), I'd suggest taking a class. You may consider it even if you get a pro-sumer model like the S3 or S5. I will be. I understand the technology far better than I understand how to shoot. I'm a hack.

GBRulz
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I know one can get overwhelmed with the amount of camera books out there. I went to B&N once and walked out with nothing because there were just too many choices! Anyhow, on Amazon, I picked up a book called "The Digital Field Guide". They make one exclusively for just about any kind of higher end camera. I highly recommend this read.

http://www.ebooknetworking.com/books/047/011/big0470110074.jpg

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks Michele! Your pics look terrific.

Fosco33
10-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I bought a Nikon P80 and have been satisfied so far... My next will be a rebel

Little Whiskey
10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I bought a Nikon P80 and have been satisfied so far... My next will be a rebel

http://img.interia.pl/rozrywka/nimg/Billy_Idol_billyidol_Idol_634124.jpg

taken with a polaroid.

Joemailman
10-23-2008, 04:46 PM
cameras can be fun!

There are TOOOOO many out there to choose from. :shock:
That's the reason I asked here, to find out what cameras people here have...maybe what they like or don't like about it. The camera we have here is actually my daughter's that she got as a gift, so I want one of my own anyway and since I'm buying one I want to make sure it will take good indoor/outdoor sports shots.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I almost feel like I should take a class...lol

Why don't you come to the Posters Game next year and steal someone's camera? Michele, Mad, Ziggy all have nice cameras.

GrnBay007
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Why don't you come to the Posters Game next year and steal someone's camera? Michele, Mad, Ziggy all have nice cameras.

Great idea!!! lol

My Godchild just learned last week she passed the Virginia Bar. We now have a lawyer in the family....I can start getting in a lil trouble if I wanna. :P :wink:

packinpatland
10-23-2008, 04:53 PM
The 'real Vriginia'? or the other one? :lol:

Pass on congrats, good for her!

GrnBay007
10-23-2008, 05:06 PM
She's in DC. I'm very proud of her. :D

Scott Campbell
05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I've been waiting nearly 3 years for this.

sub $1K - check
massive viewfinder - check
SLR - check
HD video - check

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09032504canoneos500d.asp

GBRulz
05-15-2009, 04:14 PM

sub $1K - check
SLR - check
HD video - check

Video on an SLR does nothing for me. Let me know how you like it though.

I just bought a 50D two weeks ago. Best freaken camera I have ever owned.

Partial
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Have any of you ever used one of those "flip" video cams? I'm looking for the cheapest possible decent video camera (it's just for a very minor project that I'm working on with 3 fairly low res youtube vids)

Scott Campbell
05-15-2009, 04:37 PM

sub $1K - check
SLR - check
HD video - check

Video on an SLR does nothing for me. Let me know how you like it though.

I just bought a 50D two weeks ago. Best freaken camera I have ever owned.

I'm reading that it's only good for short clips. I have mixed feelings about the video. Purists hat the idea. But I like the idea that I can shoot video if I need to without carrying the extra device.

SkinBasket
05-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Have any of you ever used one of those "flip" video cams? I'm looking for the cheapest possible decent video camera (it's just for a very minor project that I'm working on with 3 fairly low res youtube vids)

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/flip-mino-hd-hello-kitty-friends-editions-1.jpg

The only question left is which design to pick. We recently bought a 40GB vid camera so I came across several reviews for these things that said they are fine for typical junk. Some complaints about them randomly giving up and dying early, but you get what you pay for, I suppose, and the ones that lived seemed to make their owners happy. I just don't know how many of those reviewers were 12 year old girls shooting their family cat and sexting their friends.

Partial
05-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Any decent camcorders for close to 100 bucks? I don't know if I'll be able to handle sexting for a few weeks only to have the device die.

SkinBasket
05-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Any decent camcorders for close to 100 bucks? I don't know if I'll be able to handle sexting for a few weeks only to have the device die.

No. If it dies that early, it should have some kind of warranty, and if it lasts a year, it was meant to be tossed in the garbage by that time anyway.

Buy this for 60 bucks and hope for the best:

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Video-Ultra-Camcorder-30-Minutes/dp/B000V1PXL4/

If you're looking for anything good, and not just aging tech at a lower price (read DV tapes), you're going to have to move up to the 250-300 range.

Partial
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
30 minutes is the perfect time limit anyway. Beyond that porn tends to get stale.

BallHawk
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM

You missed a Canon DVD camcorder today for $120 bucks during a woot-off.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3208787

BallHawk
05-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Funny this thread pops up, I was about to start a new camera thread for advice.

I'm heading to China for a month over the summer and am going to be in some really scenic areas and the whole trip in general would make for some great photography. I have a point-and-shoot camera, but for such an occasion like this I want something a bit more professional. I've been looking into SLRs but the tech specifications can be overwhelming, not to mention that a large portion of the cameras are out of my price range. I'd be willing to drop up to 500 on a camera if it warrants the price.

Any suggestions?

BallHawk
05-16-2009, 12:25 AM
To supplement the other thread, has anybody had any experience with the Pentax K200D? Looking at various sites, it seems to be a popular alternative to Canon's and Nikon's.

Partial
05-16-2009, 02:26 AM

Gah! And I checked in probably 50 times throughout the day during the woot-off! Crap!

SkinBasket
05-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Recording to DVD is retarded. Not as bad as DV tapes, but almost. There's no excuse for not being able to write directly to flash or HDD these days. Hell, even 5 years ago, it should have been the standard, but I'm sure those companies didn't want to give up the chance to sell their consumable recording media and unique USB connection cables.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2009, 02:26 PM
To supplement the other thread, has anybody had any experience with the Pentax K200D? Looking at various sites, it seems to be a popular alternative to Canon's and Nikon's.

Looks very interesting. No live view, but I wonder if I'd use that much.

Partial
05-18-2009, 01:21 AM
http://www.woot.com/ has a JVC Mini DV Camcorder with 30x Optical Zoom
JVC Mini DV Camcorder with 30x Optical Zoom for 135 shipped

SkinBasket
05-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Mini DV = fail.

MJZiggy
04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to an SLR. My S3IS has been a good little camera, but the new versions with the bigger screens don't accept filters. That doesn't work. I'm still kind of partial to Canon or Nikon. Which is cheaper to fit with lenses? Anyone have a preference?

Scott Campbell
04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I've moved to a 2 camera platform. A Panasonic ZS3 for easy carrying around. And a Panasonic GH1 for hopefully advancing as a semi serious photographer. And it shoots stunning HD video.

MJZiggy
04-18-2010, 09:27 PM
What kind of lenses does a Panasonic take? Oh. It also needs to use one of the 50 SD cards I have laying around here.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 06:09 AM
What kind of lenses does a Panasonic take? Oh. It also needs to use one of the 50 SD cards I have laying around here.

Just Panasonic lenses, and they are spendy. The primary advantage of it is size. It's quite a bit smaller than other SLR type cameras. The theory is that people end up using it more if it's easier to haul around. With the pancake lense it's barely bigger than a point and shoot.

It takes SD cards.

There's a lengthy review on it at DPReview.

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't think pro photographers, but many enthusiasts are embracing micro 4/3rds cameras like this because of the size.

Tarlam!
04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
So I read a little more of the details of Ben's case. It seems that the young woman was wearing a pin that said "I Like To Fuck". Explaining that to a jury probably would present some challenges.

Is this:

1. a serious post?
2. in the correct thread?

Scott Campbell
04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Is this:

1. a serious post?
2. in the correct thread?

Yes.
No.
:oops:

mraynrand
11-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Anybody buying new at this time? What do you like?

Upnorth
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
So I won this awesome underwater camera in March and used it in Hawaii. It is the Canon Powershot D10 and did amazing.

Here's the link:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_D10/

(FWIW I was going to just leave out the link, but I guess I am not a troll at heart)