PDA

View Full Version : Does Charles Woodson get votes as MVP of the NFL right now?

SnakeLH2006
10-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Damn Wood has been lights out. Not only has he changed plays and scored 2 Td's off his 4 Int's in only 7 games, but he has CARRIED the secondary with a bunch of injuries to Al, Bigby, Rouse, etc. thus far.

I know it's early and rarely do defensive players get MVP votes, but he'd get mine as it's a short list thus far.

It's easy to say that ARod is the MVP of our team. Look at it like this, if Wood got hurt, we'd suffer but not be expected to lose. If ARod got hurt we'd prob. lose most EVERY game with the subpar backup QB's we have....but that's not how voting goes for MVP (they have to win games by themselves and I like ARod, but Wood just does it EVERY week).

As far as NFL MVP, there's a reason Wood won a Heisman and got drafted very high with Oakland, but he's finally come into his groove at QB of the DB's...maybe a bit older, but as far as gamechangers, his talent is immense. Throw towards him (get shut down or picked for a TD thus far). Even more impressive is his broken toe. What a tough SOB!

It's early, but he gets my vote for MVP right now in the NFL as he's maybe won 2 games for us thus far as a CB which is unheard of since Deion.

Warner gets some votes, Big Ben from the Steelers, but can't think of many of NFL players who can/or did win games by themselves at this point in the season.

Thoughts? Who are the MVP candidates right now? Is C. Wood a viable candidate?

channtheman
10-22-2008, 12:36 AM
You know, I haven't really noticed anybody that really stands out as MVP caliber this year. I now a lot of QB's have been playing great football this year but I guess since Brady blew everyone away last year, anything less than what he did just kind of seems subpar.

That being said, I don't see why Woodson can't be an MVP candidate for the time being. He saved us in the Detroit game and almost did the same for us in Tampa Bay too. As far as I'm concerned, he is as good as any other player for MVP right now.

SnakeLH2006
10-22-2008, 12:41 AM
You know, I haven't really noticed anybody that really stands out as MVP caliber this year. I now a lot of QB's have been playing great football this year but I guess since Brady blew everyone away last year, anything less than what he did just kind of seems subpar.

That being said, I don't see why Woodson can't be an MVP candidate for the time being. He saved us in the Detroit game and almost did the same for us in Tampa Bay too. As far as I'm concerned, he is as good as any other player for MVP right now.

The reason for this topic is this:

I had many NFL conversations with buddies as of late (many Packer fans, several not) but EVERYONE had the same consensus, what a tough SOB C. Wood is and how has evolved into a gamechanger that teams have to scheme for. He doesn't give up big plays often with his gambles, but stats have shown on JSOnline in the last 2+ years, he shuts down whomever he plays against for (ex. 2 catches 21 yards, no TD's, possibly a INT). Al was pretty good, but Wood was the difference maker often.

Who are the MVP candidates as I agree, I don't know who has been more valuable as a gamechanger in the NFL thus far, either?

ahaha
10-22-2008, 07:36 AM
I think Richard Dent was the last defensive player to win the MVP. He played on an outstanding defense, and that's what it would take for another to do it.
Right now Clinton Portis would have to be the leading candidate. Some others would include Kurt Warner, Michael Turner, Eli Manning, Chris Johnson, Jay Cutler, and Drew Brees.
Defensive MVP is realistic. He's got to be a leading candidate. Others to be considered: Cortland Finnegan, Demarcus Ware, LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison, Albert Haynesworth, and Nick Collins.

mraynrand
10-22-2008, 08:43 AM
He's on pace.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=14934&start=0

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I think Woodson has been an extraordinary player. Not sure he has the stats for hall of fame consideration, but he is that good.

ps. would this be a good time to say again that it was silly that Al HArris went to pro bowl instead of Woodson last year? Nah, that would be cheap.

Patler
10-22-2008, 10:15 AM
ps. would this be a good time to say again that it was silly that Al HArris went to pro bowl instead of Woodson last year? Nah, that would be cheap.

It would also be true.

Gunakor
10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
I think Woodson has played extraordinarily well, so don't take this the wrong way. But a cornerback has to be EXTREMELY special to win league MVP. Defensive players in general, but DB's very specifically, do not stand much of a chance at winning NFL MVP awards given the media hype for offensive players. Maybe Defensive Player of the Year - that I think he might have a good shot at. MVP, no. Not in an offense driven league like the NFL.

mraynrand
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I think Woodson has played extraordinarily well, so don't take this the wrong way. But a cornerback has to be EXTREMELY special to win league MVP. Defensive players in general, but DB's very specifically, do not stand much of a chance at winning NFL MVP awards given the media hype for offensive players. Maybe Defensive Player of the Year - that I think he might have a good shot at. MVP, no. Not in an offense driven league like the NFL.

MVP of the league? Not a chance. Lawrence Taylor in 1986 was the last defensive player and before that I think it was Page in 70 or 71. Ray Lewis could have had a shot in 2000, but they gave it to Faulk. You're not going to see the overall MVP go to a defensive player unless they get some crazy number of sacks (20?) or INTs (15 or more) with lots of TDs. But defensive player of the year is in range I think.

cheesner
10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
It's early, but he gets my vote for MVP right now in the NFL as he's maybe won 2 games for us thus far as a CB which is unheard of since Deion.

And the fact that Deion never won, and I am not sure he even got a vote, leads me to believe there is little chance for a DB to win a MVP trophy.

Patler
10-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Ya, it's pretty much the "If Not a Quarterback, then a Runningback" Award.

RashanGary
10-22-2008, 03:41 PM

So is the Heisman, but that never stopped Wood. I agree though, not a chance. He's been lights out, but he's in a small market and doesn't have the return yardage to make him sexy.

Gunakor
10-22-2008, 03:48 PM

So is the Heisman, but that never stopped Wood. I agree though, not a chance. He's been lights out, but he's in a small market and doesn't have the return yardage to make him sexy.

Deion played in a large market, and was a pretty good return guy for a while, and was arguably the best DB in history. And after all of that, he still wasn't sexy enough to win league MVP. Certainly that doesn't mean it isn't possible, but put things into perspective. Deion Sanders having never won an MVP award speaks volumes to Charles Woodson's chances at it this year. Not going to happen.

LL2
10-22-2008, 03:48 PM
It would be sweet to see 3 or 4 Packer D players make the probowl.

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

RashanGary
10-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

Take Pickett off and add Kampman. That's all I see. Hawk started strong but faded with injury so he's probably out.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

More likely, Kampman, Woodson, Collins, and ???

DonHutson
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
It would be a uniquely cool claim to fame to be the one defensive player to win both a Heisman and an NFL MVP. Won't happen though.

He should be in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year, but he's probably not a front runner at this point.

GBRulz
10-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

I wouldn't count Bigby, Kampman or Harris out.

channtheman
10-23-2008, 02:34 AM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

I'm surprised no one mentioned him. If T. Williams keeps playing how he has and picks up some more interceptions this year he might make it. It might be a stretch but I bet if he played for the Cowboys he would be a lock already.

Gunakor
10-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

I'm surprised no one mentioned him. If T. Williams keeps playing how he has and picks up some more interceptions this year he might make it. It might be a stretch but I bet if he played for the Cowboys he would be a lock already.

If he remains the starter after Harris comes back from injury I'd say he has a legitimate shot. I don't think he'll have as great a chance if he's put back in nickel after Harris returns, if only because he'll have less opportunity. Surely it could still happen, and IMO Williams has the skill to do it, but it's a popularity contest and the voters might not be in T-Will's corner if he's only on the field for half of the defensive snaps.

SnakeLH2006
10-24-2008, 02:01 AM

Woodson
Collins
Pickett
?????

It's garbage and the Cowboys WERE talented LAST year, but 13 probowlers?? Garbage. Unheard of of a team that hasn't won shit in 12 years IMO.

T-Will could do it, if TT is fair and says fuck heirarchry and keeps Al at the 3 CB.. (which is retarded as AL is 34 soon) T-Will has been the biggest surprise thus far with GB.

Going back to MY topic.....the question was does Wood garner MVP votes right now? YES. Will he win it? HELL NO. At his pace yes, but he'd have to maintain 13 picks, 6 Td's. to have consideration. The question wasn't will Wood win it, but is he worthy right now? Just shows the quality of player he is RIGHT NOW.....C-Will is awesome right now, and on a side note, I WOULD NOT start AL over him till he's 100% healthy. And even then I'd prob. not...Give T-Will 6 years 18 or even 24 million on the cheap...if he takes it.

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Chuck did win Defensive Player of the Month in September, and he's followed it up with another strong month. Shutting down Reggie Wayne is drawing him major attention. The Pro Bowl is a joke, but I don't see how even the Pro Bowl voters won't do the right thing.

packerbacker1234
10-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Albery Haynesworth, of tennesee, has meant more to his defense then woodson has to ours.

So, unfortunately... no. Being a homer I would want to say so, but it would be a lie.