PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Singletary Too Talented to Coach Successfully?

oregonpackfan
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Many of us have heard that Mike Singletary has been promoted as Head Coach of the 49'ers.

Those of us who remember Singletary as a middle linebacker can testify that he was a remarkable, highly talented, player. From I have read, he is also a fine man both on and off the field.

Though he was an elite player and is a high character man, can he successfully coach at the Head Coach level?

On an ESPN talk show, the topic came up that elite players often find it difficult to coach successfully. Often, many of them fail.

Mike Golic, former Eagle and co-host of "Mike and Mike In The Morning" cited the example of Reggie White. When Reggie White was in his prime as a defensive end for the Eagles, the coaches asked him to teach his fellow lineman about his moves. They found that though Reggie was a skilled player and an intelligent man, he couldn't break down his moves or verbally explain his moves to his teammates.

His talents and skills were so instinctual to him he just couldn't not effectively teach them to his teammates.

Golic went on to say that he does not predict that Singletary will ultimately fail but to say that highly skilled players are often at a loss to coach and/or teach after they retire. He further stated that it is the average to low-average players that become the successful coaches. Those players have to put more analysis into how to become successful as players. Therefore, they become the more successful coaches.

What you do feel about his argument?

sheepshead
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/384406_hawk22.html

KYPack
10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Mike was a solid athlete who combined study with focusing on technique to become an elite player. He isn't like most superstars who are special guys. Mike was an above average guy who maximized his potential. I saw a segment on Mike coaching kids at the Senior Bowl. It was the best coaching session on teaching shed technique I've ever seen.

That's where Mike may have the same failings as the other stars in the coaching ranks. He burned the midnight oil to become an elite player. Some of the guys he'll be coaching now spend their extra time burning other things. Mike may not understand their "approach".

mraynrand
10-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Mike is completely unlike a lot of other 'star' coaches. He didn't ask for or get preferential treatment as a coach. He worked his way through the ranks and was moved up because he had coaching talent. He is a bright guy, almost annoyingly so at times (I like those interviews as a player where he would say something like "Essentially , my principle philosophy and my primary endeavor was to remove the head of the running back").

Singletary earned it. He knows how to work with, teach, and coach players from the ground up.