PDA

View Full Version : Favre Admits to Talk With Millen: With Qualifications

pbmax
10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/22/favre-admits-to-strategy-session-with-millen/)

FAVRE ADMITS TO STRATEGY SESSION WITH MILLEN
Posted by Mike Florio on October 22, 2008, 11:50 a.m.

As it turns out, Brett Favre’s position that the report he talked to the Lions before their Week Two game against the Packers is “total B.S.” is, well, total B.S.

OK, maybe not total B.S. But B.S. nonetheless.

In press conference remarks that likely sounded a lot more innocuous to Brett as he was saying the words than they’ll appear when reduced to writing, Favre admits to talking with Lions CEO Matt Millen prior to the game.

And Favre admits that Millen asked him about the things the Packers have done in the past when playing the Lions.

And Favre admits that he responded to Millen’s question.

And Favre admits that he assumed others were in the room listening while he spoke to Millen.

That said, Favre took strong positions on some of the key points. He emphasized, for example, that he didn’t have a “game plan” in his lap when talking to Millen. Well, no one ever said that he did. The report from FOX’s Jay Glazer was/is that Favre spent time talking to the Lions in an effort to help the Lions prepare to play Favre’s former team.

Favre also stressed that this happens all the time, pointing to communications with former Arizona defensive end Calvin Pace as his new team, the Jets, prepared to play his old team, the Cardinals.

But Favre overlooked the main point here. He doesn’t play for the Lions. And so while it’s fair game for former coaches and players to help their new teams get ready to play their old teams, the notion that Favre said anything other than “Matt, I’m really not comfortable with this, since the Packers paid me damn good money for 16 years and they’re eventually gonna retire my jersey and they still have a $30 million marketing deal on the table” is troubling to us, and it should be very troubling to every Packers fan.

Favre confirmed that the conversation was the result of efforts by Millen to get in touch with the Jets quarterback to invite him to go hunting on Matt’s property, which is roughly an hour from Favre’s new place of employment. (Favre also said that Millen pointed out that he has bulldozers and tractors, in the event Favre needs to relieve some tension. Maybe we need to drive a bulldozer or a tractor to appreciate the medicinal value of such endeavors, but we’ve yet to see a construction worker who seems mellow.)

Coincidentally, the duo finally got connected in the days preceding the game between the Packers and the Lions.

Favre tried to downplay the import of his comments to Millen by suggesting that Favre didn’t remember much about what the Packers did when playing the Lions last year (but, naturally, Favre remembers vividly that he completed 22 straight passes), and by noting that he hasn’t been in the Packers’ offense for more than a year.

But here’s the truth. Favre was a member of the organization for more than a decade and a half. Though Mike McCarthy had been the head coach for only the last two years of Favre’s career there, the offense is the same.

And Brett hasn’t been out of the offense for more than a year; he last played as a Packer less than nine months ago.

Have tweaks been made since Aaron Rodgers became the quarterback? Sure. Are the Packers still doing a lot of the stuff that they did when Favre was the quarterback? Absolutely.

The question from Millen surely wasn’t confined, as Brett claims, to what the Packers have done in the past against the Lions. The question undoubtedly was aimed at finding out what the Packers do generally.

As Brett observed out, the Lions can watch film in an effort to decipher strategies and tendencies. But why spend all that time searching for something you might never find when the guy who was the quarterback of the team every single game for 16 straight seasons is willing to spill his guts?

Favre also claims that the conversation was shorter than reported. He says that he talked with Millen (and whoever was in the room listening) for 15-to-20 minutes. Favre also claims that half the time was spent talking about hunting and other non-football things (perhaps like throwing a dead turkey in a teammate’s locker), and that the rest of the time was spent talking football.

But if Favre is telling the truth about the duration of the call, Favre could have passed along plenty of useful nuggets in only 7-to-10 minutes of time.

Bottom line? Favre’s initial comments to Peter King indicate strongly that no communications of any kind occurred. It’s ”total B.S.,” he said, “not true and pretty ridiculous. I’m telling you it’s not true. What the hell is [FOX’s] problem?”

Now, Favre is singing a far different tune as he tries to strike a balance between conceding portions of the story without (as King suggested) “irrevocably tarnish[ing]” his reputation in Wisconsin.

If anything, Favre’s words prove to us that Glazer was right. And given that Favre initially tried to call the entire story “B.S.”, we choose to conclude that any portion of his dramatically revised version that conflicts with Glazer’s story is B.S., too.

KYPack
10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Sheezus

Just shoot me.

I've entered the "Favre overload and I don't give a shit any more" zone.

pbmax
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Its America's Newest Hit Soap Opera. It should be on Univision.

boiga
10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Sheezus

Just shoot me.

I've entered the "Favre overload and I don't give a shit any more" zone.

I hear you KY. I can't get worked up over this crap anymore either. It's lame and pathetic, but I'm sure I have forgotten about it in a decade or so.

Its America's Newest Hit Soap Opera. It should be on Univision. Bretty el Feo?

MOBB DEEP
10-22-2008, 11:26 AM
DAYUM.....

red
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
this is florio trying to stir shit

he does this every now and then. he latches on to something, and tries to turn it into the most imortant thing in the world

he's just trying to get packer fans all riled up, and he's always hated favre

so what if brett did talk? what could the lions learn from the guy who use to be our qb?

he didn't know the game plan for the lions

he couldn't have told them anything that they couldn't already learn on espn nfl coutdown

we've been using the same system for a decade and a half. most people should know what we run

in fact, many teams run the same system and even use the same terms

many former packer coaches have gone on to coach around the nfl, and can spread all the info in the world. including the former head coach of the lions

so while it was a dickish thing for brett to do, i don't see what the massive huge deal is. the lions were not helped out at all by anything he told them

falco
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
you know who favre really fucked over? all the people here who have been sticking up for him through this latest saga. way to take a big shit on all your loyal fans

Partial
10-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Dumb move by Favre. Lost a lot of respect.

boiga
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM

so while it was a dickish thing for brett to do, i don't see what the massive huge deal is. the lions were not helped out at all by anything he told them

You're right that this isn't a big deal in the long run, red, but you can't throw the blame for this controversy at Florio's feet. Every football news agency reported on this story (save ESPN) with Fox leading the way. Favre acting like an asshole to his old team will always get play, even if the results aren't significant.

pbmax
10-22-2008, 11:44 AM

he couldn't have told them anything that they couldn't already learn on espn nfl coutdown

we've been using the same system for a decade and a half. most people should know what we run

many former packer coaches have gone on to coach around the nfl, and can spread all the info in the world. including the former head coach of the lions.
This is the Belicheck defense. "OK, so he did it and it was probably wrong. But its not a big deal. In fact, its just a notch more effective than a superstition."

But the facts of the call speak for themselves. Millen thought enough of the info to invite coaches to hear Favre speak. Coaches, who do not have much free time during the week, thought enough about it to listen in on the call. It must have had some value to these people, who have all spent decades in this business. It also likely they know more than Merrill Hoge and Sal Pal.

It clearly wasn't enough of an edge, but that doesn't make it right.

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Favre also stressed that this happens all the time, pointing to communications with former Arizona defensive end Calvin Pace as his new team, the Jets, prepared to play his old team, the Cardinals.

happens all the time? :lol:

Favre neglects to mention that he is not a member of the Lions team. Like Calvin Pace is a member of the Jets.

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2008, 11:53 AM
But the facts of the call speak for themselves. Millen thought enough of the info to invite coaches to hear Favre speak. Coaches, who do not have much free time during the week, thought enough about it to listen in on the call.

ya, I agree with this.

On the other hand, I really doubt Favre said anything specific or significant.

Favre was an idiot and ass, bad judgement, But it was small potatos, he wasn't working the phones, looking to screw over the packers.

Guess I'm taking a middle ground, like Leoroy Butler.

oregonpackfan
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
In hindsight, if only Favre had stayed retired last March, none of this two-headed soap opera would have happened. By "Two-headed" I mean the 1. retirement-unretirement-trade debacle and 2. this episode of talking to the Lions.

The outstanding legacy of this fine Green Bay Packer legendary player is slowing being chipped away day by day... :(

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:17 PM
So I wonder who else he's been talking to.

RashanGary
10-22-2008, 12:18 PM
What ever happend to that concrete denial that 007 showed us from teh Lions and Favre's, "it's total BS" text that the crusaders were so quick to site as fact. Favre is a liar. His word is no good. I hope we have that established and ESPN is a complete sham of an organization for trying to cover thsi up for their main offseason squeeze.

When we weave a basket of lies. . . . Well, Brett can tell you.

I don't feel much differently about him. He's still a human being, being human and really, it's not that bad but for all of those worshippers who insist he can do no wrong, take a look at this. He stabbed his former teammates in teh back to get revenge on one guy. That is where Brett Favre's head is at. He's a spoiled rotton famous athlete that will shit on everyone without blinking if it helps him out. This is what happens when we resist the urge to let the good things go to our head.

sharpe1027
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
ya, I agree with this.

Favre was an idiot and ass, bad judgement, But it was small potatos, he wasn't working the phones, looking to screw over the packers.

Guess I'm taking a middle ground, like Leoroy Butler.

The intent was to help the Lions against the Packers. IMHO, it is not a defense that he maybe he didn't know enough specifics to make a huge difference or that you didn't plan ahead. If someone tries to shoot you with a gun and happens to miss because the gun is inaccurate/old, would you excuse them because their chances of successfully killing you were low? I hope not.

Also, there is a difference between watching tendencies on game film and knowing the strategy/reason behind the tendencies.

I would add it to the list of jackass things he's done, but I'm done keeping score.

I hope he plays all year for the Jets and they make the playoffs as a wild card and lose the first round. That gives the Pack a mid 2nd rounder. That's not much different than getting one of the last two 1st rounders, if the Jets were to make the Super Bowl. Other than than, Brett who? :roll:

RashanGary
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
I hope he plays all year for the Jets and they make the playoffs as a wild card and lose the first round. That gives the Pack a mid 2nd rounder. That's not much different than getting one of the last two 1st rounders, if the Jets were to make the Super Bowl. Other than than, Brett who? :roll:

I think a whole lot of Packer fans are starting to echo this sentiment.

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM

The Watergate papers weren't all that significant either.

This time, instead of "I am not a crook", we heard "that's total BS".

falco
10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
what a tangled web we weave
when first we practice to deceive

falco
10-22-2008, 12:28 PM
this entire year has been an eye opening experience in terms of my view of brett favre

sort of like when you find out there is no santa claus ... your whole world seems to be spinning around you while your mind tries to adjust to this new information ... ah yes, my sophomore year of college was full of challenges

sheepshead
10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
So I wonder who else he's been talking to.

He knows Jeff Fisher pretty well too. This really sucks and Favre's an idiot.

Scott Campbell
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
sort of like when you find out there is no santa claus ... ....

Shhhhhhhh. Some of them still believe in Santa Favre.

Gunakor
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM

he does this every now and then. he latches on to something, and tries to turn it into the most imortant thing in the world

he's just trying to get packer fans all riled up, and he's always hated favre

so what if brett did talk? what could the lions learn from the guy who use to be our qb?

many former packer coaches have gone on to coach around the nfl, and can spread all the info in the world. including the former head coach of the lions

It doesn't matter what he may or may not have told Millen, and it doesn't matter who may or may not have been listening in on the conversation. It's the principle of the thing. If Brett were spilling his info about the Pack to the Jets before a matchup between those two teams, fine. Completely understandable. But that's not what happened. I'm sure you can understand this one. It shouldn't be that hard to take the blinders off and see what's going on.

gioreeko
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I need Al Pacino to go up to Favre, grab his face and kiss him on the lips. "I knew it was you! I knew it was you Favr-o, you are dead to me!"

gex
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM

SHHH , if you let that be known the HATERS wont have anything to cry about.

pbmax
10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
SHHH , if you let that be known the HATERS wont have anything to cry about.
Why post this?

BobDobbs
I don't think that for many of us fans this is about whether Brett's talk provided tactical advantage. The issue is that we form personal bonds with the players and team. I realize that this is ridiculous, but emotional investment is an important part of being a fan.

Clearly, we are a better team than the Lions by a lot. He could have played for them and we would have won. It's just that he sees the franchise as only the two major football decision makers and we see it as much more than that. The Green Bay Packers are a group of athletes putting themselves in harm's way for our pleasure. The team is also a heritage and a part of our culture. He is disrespecting all of that even if he does not know it.

His place in the heritage and lore of the franchise is what he is endangering, not our win loss record. I have always liked Favre as a person outside of football. I think him coming out publicly about his drug addiction as well as using his wealth to put together a massive aid shipment for Missisippi post Katrina were two of the more important acts I've seen an athlete make.

Maybe he feels disrespected by the fan base here and he does mean to offend us. It is not a huge deal, but it does show that he can't get over what happened. He needs to accept that his own actions led to his release and also that time does not move backwards. Let it go. Show some class. An apology to the fans would be nice.

I can't wait until Monday night when we can start talking about how the Titan's looked against the Colts.

Joemailman
We've seen in recent years that Favre sometimes talks when he shouldn't, but I think intent matters in how Favre is judged here. As long as Favre wasn't calling around with the intention of screwing the Packers to settle a score with Thompson, I don't think it's that big a deal. It was probably a case of poor judgment, but not bad intentions.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Well said, Bob Dobbs.

Deputy Nutz
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I could swear that article was written by Justin Harrell.

TravisWilliams23
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

This MUST be the reason for Marinelli's "NO COMMENT" to reports about this story. It doesn't look too good for your coaching ability or your teams football ability if you KNOW WHAT"S COMING AND CAN'T STOP IT!!

I don't do it very often but I should thank God I'm NOT a Detroit Lions fan!

Kiwon
10-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Farve's been riding the foolish train for some time by letting his ego get the best of him. He is quickly squandering the goodwill established between him and the fans.

He is showing no loyalty to the Packers and their fans so I would not be surprised to see the front office eventually respond more directly without much fear of a backlash. You think that in 16 years there is nothing that people in the Packers organization have kept quiet about in deference to Farve and his standing with the Packers?

In a court case, when one side brings something up it becomes fair game. Farve is making enemies out of friends and it will come back to haunt him.
He better just stop talking before all his dirty laundry gets leaked to the press.

Brando19
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Anyone know where I can watch Favre's press conference from today? I read he gets angry when told about Woodson's comment.

Brando19
10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
BTW...I was able to see a small clip from his press conference today...and it was kinda ironic he was saying over and over he wishes everyone in Green Bay well and he never sabatoged the team while wearing a New York TITANS! hat.....haha.

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2008, 11:10 PM
We've seen in recent years that Favre sometimes talks when he shouldn't, but I think intent matters in how Favre is judged here. As long as Favre wasn't calling around with the intention of screwing the Packers to settle a score with Thompson, I don't think it's that big a deal. It was probably a case of poor judgment, but not bad intentions.

I agree with this.

I have found all of Favre's sins forgivable, going back to Gretta and earlier. The reason why I am so critical of Favre is out of anger at his loyalists, who claim that Favre has been a victim of TT and the cold-hearted Packer organization.

th87
10-23-2008, 02:06 AM

I agree with this.

I have found all of Favre's sins forgivable, going back to Gretta and earlier. The reason why I am so critical of Favre is out of anger at his loyalists, who claim that Favre has been a victim of TT and the cold-hearted Packer organization.

This is probably why everyone's over the top on this issue. To balance out zealotry, it's natural to take extreme positions.

Fritz
10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I wonder if Jeff Fisher is going to call up Favre to invite him to go hunting in Tennesee.

Pacopete4
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I wonder if Jeff Fisher is going to call up Favre to invite him to go hunting in Tennesee.

I hope so... just means more likely of a Packer win!

Keep up the good work Brett!

Joemailman
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Reading the transcript of Favre's press conference, I find it hard to believe that Favre was trying to undermine the Packers.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081022/PKR01/81022142/1058

Millen, on the other hand, may have been a real snake in the grass if he called Favre on a speaker phone and had his coaches listening in. I would be interested to hear Millen's version of the story, but probably won't.

Bretsky
10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Reading the transcript of Favre's press conference, I find it hard to believe that Favre was trying to undermine the Packers.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081022/PKR01/81022142/1058

Millen, on the other hand, may have been a real snake in the grass if he called Favre on a speaker phone and had his coaches listening in. I would be interested to hear Millen's version of the story, but probably won't.

I'm not completely forgiving with Favre did; but I will note rather then going drama queenie like on all of this you have been one of the better voices of reason in here about this.

LEWCWA
10-23-2008, 10:07 PM
It sound to me like two friends talking and it getting to what they both do "football" Favre gave him feedback as a friend on things others used against them. This is such a non-story it isn't funny. Favre didn't dial up the Lions with the intent to help them beat the Packers. He gave advice to a friend about things they did to them. Like hey Matt---You guys always do x when we did y. Teams are killing you with that.......I really don't think it was much more than that!