PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting Thread

Deputy Nutz
10-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Just finished up an early season hunt this past weekend in Wisconsin. I am in an "earn a buck" county and it is begining to become frustrating. Well I should this past weekend was frustrating, it seemed nothing worked in my favor,

On Friday I got into the woods at about 4:00, I went to were my ladder stand was, it was a great spot when there was corn in the field, but what I thought was a nicely picked cornfield from a distance was actually what was left from last year, since my family rents the fields to a local farmer I was a bit pissed. Anyways I didn't have much time to go running into the woods so I stayed there, and twenty minutes later a 125, maybe 130 class nine pointer came up to the edge of the field, leaped the fence, it was a beast, biggest deer I had ever seen in the woods. I had the opportunity to shoot it probably three or four times, instead I cursed the DNR, and cursed myself for not having a camera.

That was a once maybe twice in a lifetime buck, but since you can't kill a horned deer until you capture a doe life sucks.

At least I am not the asshole who brought in 31 ferral hogs because he was upset with the deer regs. Asshole.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Deer hunting in Wisconsin is antiquated.
:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?page=h_fea_muley_find_burkhead

North Dakota

North Dakota's Badlands hold a surprising number of large mule deer. When hunters think of North Dakota, skies filled by waterfowl and ring-necked pheasants come to mind. And while those images are proper in the eastern two-thirds of the state, there are some surprising numbers of big mule deer bucks in the southwestern one-third of the Peace Garden state.

That's particularly true in the state's Badlands region according to Rock Creek Outdoors outfitter Ron Hartman of Grassy Butte.

"I believe it's a mistake to leave North Dakota out of the picture," said Hartman. "We have the opportunity to see some very good mule deer here. For archery especially, you increase your opportunity for a shot tremendously because of the terrain we have here as compared to the mountains."

Tom Miranda, host of Advantage Adventures and Strategies in the Wild on ESPN2 found out first hand two autumns ago just how good North Dakota mule deer hunting can be as a 180-class giant sauntered into range at 35-yards. Unfortunately for Miranda, his arrow sailed off the mark and the big mulie buck melted away into the stunning Badlands terrain.

While Hartman admits that not every North Dakota mule deer is that big, he says that many are.

"You're going to get opportunities to see plenty of muleys that can make Pope & Young in the 145 range," Hartman said. "You will also find a few that get up there into the 170 range and even a few that might go 180. And of course, like anywhere, there's always a chance to see one of those 190 plus monster mule deer.

"But on average, a hunter who hunts in western North Dakota can expect to have a pretty good chance to see a Pope & Young class mule deer."

http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/hunting/i/P2_h_fea_ND_mule_deer1.jpg

Little Whiskey
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
nice buck!

I've been quite a bit this year. Seen a few small bucks and a few doe.

last weekend as I was walking back from my stand I noticed someone else put one up about 60 yards away. I've been hunting this spot about 6 years. They just cut a bunch of trees out of a neighboring plot of land and this guy moved his stand to over look the clear cut. I left him a nice note telling him what i thought of his move.

Oscar
10-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm gonna go deer hunting for the first time this season. My best friend has hunted all his life so were gonna go together. The season doesn't start (other then bow) here in N.W. Missouri until Nov. so it will be a bit. Were gonna go turkey hunting this weekend..Another first for me. I'm really looking forward to it.

LL2
10-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Since been about 20 years since I've hunted in Northern Wisconsin. When I was a kid my father cursed the DNR many times. Calling them corupt and working by their own rules. He still hunts up there. I can tell you for sure though...many deer that are killed do not get tagged. For some it's called putting food on the table..as many loggers and farmers do not make a lot of money.

SkinBasket
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
http://logo.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/240x360_benefitnyc.jpg
Let's go buck hunting!!!

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Who did the drawing of you and Nutz?

SkinBasket
10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Partial. Said we could pay him in bananas or something.

Little Whiskey
10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm gonna go deer hunting for the first time this season.

jeffro, have you been to the range yet? if not you need to get shooting. especially if its not your gun. shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

GrnBay007
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
My son went hunting for the first time last weekend and he loved it....wants to go again. He went on a Youth Hunt sponsored by Pheasants Forever.

Seems like many of the boys/young men today have never hunted, don't know anything about fixing cars and can't do any "fix it" jobs around the house. I'm glad my ex is teaching our son these things.

Oscar
10-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks Whiskey. I own several guns and have spent lots of time shooting..Just never got into hunting.... Always thought about it.... Just haven't tried...It's gonna be a lil different shooting turkey or deer instead of a target or an empty soda bottle.. Took a hunter safety class this past week as well.

GBRulz
10-23-2008, 05:39 PM
My son went hunting for the first time last weekend and he loved it....wants to go again. He went on a Youth Hunt sponsored by Pheasants Forever.

Seems like many of the boys/young men today have never hunted, don't know anything about fixing cars and can't do any "fix it" jobs around the house. I'm glad my ex is teaching our son these things.

When your son knows how to change light fixtures, send him on over..LOL.

The WI DNR tried to pass some law a couple years ago that allowed 8 year olds to hunt. With an adult present and passing a safety course, of course. Needless to say, it didn't pass. Within that same year, WI passed a law requiring booster seats to children 8 and younger, or a certain height, weight, etc. The local paper posted a cartoon with an 8 year old in his booster seat holding a rifle, it was pretty funny.

hurleyfan
10-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I went Deer hunting yesterday in my 2007 Durango!

Got me a big ol' doe :twisted:

Fvck, I wish there were more places to hunt with a rifle in my neck of the woods!

bobblehead
10-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Ah yes...earn a buck...yet another case of lobbyists affecting things negatively. Earn a buck was put in when the insurance companies got sick of people hitting deer with their cars so they lobbied state congress who insturcted the DNR to implement earn a buck. Farmers thought this was neat as the deer quit eating the crops and now we have managed to keep deer populations down to a level so as not to make for good hunting anymore.

Deputy Nutz
10-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Ah yes...earn a buck...yet another case of lobbyists affecting things negatively. Earn a buck was put in when the insurance companies got sick of people hitting deer with their cars so they lobbied state congress who insturcted the DNR to implement earn a buck. Farmers thought this was neat as the deer quit eating the crops and now we have managed to keep deer populations down to a level so as not to make for good hunting anymore.

This may be true, but I live in the subs where nobody hunts and this is where the deer populations are starting to get out of control, where car accidents are becoming more and more common.

mraynrand
10-24-2008, 10:53 AM

This may be true, but I live in the subs where nobody hunts and this is where the deer populations are starting to get out of control, where car accidents are becoming more and more common.

Our community took cell phones away from the deer, and the accidents have gone way down. They just don't pay attention to cars when they are texting.

mraynrand
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Probably too much deer sex

http://skinnymoose.com/health/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/whitetail-deer-bizare-sex.jpg

SkinBasket
10-25-2008, 07:48 AM
LOL @ deer cock. Speaking of which, whatever happened to ballhawk?