PDA

View Full Version : Why Mike Tice was fired

ahaha
06-26-2006, 09:25 PM
[img][/quote][/url][/list]

The Leaper
06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
That is a hell of a reason. With this kind of insight available, inquiring minds want to know the real reason the personnel guy got fired.

PackerPro42
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I think he got fired mainly because of the direction the team was going after the Love Boat affair.

MadtownPacker
06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I think fans where sick of that stupid pencil in his ear.

At first I was sad to see him go but after hearing BRad Childish comments I think we have even better meathead.

Harlan Huckleby
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
where's he at now?

I won't be surprised if he gets another head coaching gig someday.

oregonpackfan
06-26-2006, 11:15 PM
where's he at now?

Rumor has it he has been seen walking though the wooded Cascade Mountains of Oregon masquerading as Bigfoot.

Harlan Huckleby
06-26-2006, 11:16 PM
well, he wouldn't need a lot of make-up

Deputy Nutz
06-27-2006, 12:09 AM
I am still kinda pissed the Packers didn't bring him in for a look

OS PA
06-27-2006, 12:27 AM
where's he at now?

Isn't he co-head coaching for the Jag's?

The reason, I believe, Mike Tice was fired was that his team on paper were monsters, but played like little girls. For all that size and angry eyebrows he doesn't seem to be the type of guy who can motivate anyone. I'm not really glad to see him go, but I guess i'm not to afraid, Minnesota has a history of choking, and it appears they've got themselves another artist to paint failure.

HarveyWallbangers
06-27-2006, 07:29 AM
I think he was a good motivator, he ran tough practices (I believe they hit a lot more in practice), and his players loved him. However, he wasn't very good with Xs and Os, and he made some poor in-game decisions. They Vikings have been a physically tougher team than the Packers for the last few years. Mentally, they've been midgets. When things go bad, they go really bad. I think Tice was a decent coach. Not great, but not horrible either. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a head coach again either. He'll need good coordinators to succeed though.

KYPack
06-27-2006, 07:50 AM
where's he at now?

He's the OLine coach of the Jags. He's already had Del Rio singing his praises as being such a slick line coach and helping the running game. The O coordinator is now looking over his shoulder.

I was always on the fence on Tice. He acted like a hard ass, but the Queens were always such a loose group.

Whoops, hope I didn't wake up the trolls.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
where's he at now?

He's the OLine coach of the Jags. He's already had Del Rio singing his praises as being such a slick line coach and helping the running game. The O coordinator is now looking over his shoulder.

I was always on the fence on Tice. He acted like a hard ass, but the Queens were always such a loose group.

Whoops, hope I didn't wake up the trolls.

YAWN......did you say something...HEY.....(just kidding)

Actually Harvey has it pretty much right. In addition to that, Red McCombs kept the team grossly understaffed. The OC was unqualified last year and the team had NO OL coach! Ouch. Maybe they went too far in other direction this year, I don't know. They have the largest coaching staff in the NFL ( I read that somewhere) and they now have two OL coaches.

On a side note, what the heck motivated a poster to start a thread on an ex Viking coach in a Packer forum?

Slow news day. Maybe I'll start a "Why Forrest Gregg was fired thread".

havanother
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Sorry the Pack didn't look at him??? What! Tice is not head coach material. He got the interim job when Green left and that team was never the same. They played dead with Tice at the helm. To be honest I'm more worried about the talent on that team now that Childress is there. The guys on the roster will be out to prove themselves to a new coach and he seems to be the type of guy who really is a hard ass ---- the T. O. situation. The entire coaching staff was in agreement when they benched him. Tice is right back where he belongs. With the other meatheads that can understand his meathead talk.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I know I was hoping that they would have looked at him too. Just because the Viqueens always seem to bring in a Bagder or a Packer.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Mike Tice was fired because he couldn't hold the team together emotionally. I remember one game I was watching they were in the game and they ran a fake punt in the fourth and didn't convert. That's just stupid coaching.

mngolf19
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Having new ownership also played into the decision to hire a new coach.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 02:16 PM
They went from a ticket scalping idiot to a mud slinging cry baby, good for them.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
They went from a ticket scalping idiot to a mud slinging cry baby, good for them.

Oh Blue, that's a little harsh. Childress hasn't exactly said all the right things but neither has McCarthy. Blowing up on a guy for writing the truth wasn't cool....and he made some mistakes about OTA attendence, said some things he probably shouldn't have. I think both guys are learning.
At the end of the year we should know if either of them is a moron or an arsehole.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
good point Rastak, I was a little hard on the old boy.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 02:28 PM

The dude has made me cringe a few times......I must admit.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 03:02 PM

It could be worse, this just in the Minnesota Vikings have hired a new head coach, Ozzie Guillen. Guillen was quoted saying that they had to pay him a lot of money to wear a fag color like purple.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 03:07 PM

It could be worse, this just in the Minnesota Vikings have hired a new head coach, Ozzie Guillen. Guillen was quoted saying that they had to pay him a lot of money to wear a fag color like purple.

Guillen also told reporters that he would kick the ass of any fans that wore the blonde ponytail hats, they make you look like a fag, and also that horn is gay as hell. In his country a horn like that makes you a fag".

BigDmoney
06-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I was lucky enough to go to college at mankato state university (where the vikings hold their training camp) and i was no stranger to the bars. He wasn't the head coach then (o-line) but he was at the bars more often than any other member of the team, staff or player. And it wasn't even close. I can tell you straight up that he not a bright guy. He had no idendity as to what type of coach he was. He wanted to be a best friend type players coach sometimes and a hardass strict coach at other times. He may be good someday, but he is just not ready yet.

MadtownPacker
06-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh Blue, that's a little harsh. Childress hasn't exactly said all the right things but neither has McCarthy. Blowing up on a guy for writing the truth wasn't cool....and he made some mistakes about OTA attendence, said some things he probably shouldn't have. I think both guys are learning.
At the end of the year we should know if either of them is a moron or an arsehole.
OK whats better, a M3 ripping some reporter for talking shit about his player, true or not (Harris hasnt held out so its not) or Childish ripping on a player who left and was well liked by his teammates? No where near the same IMO. No player is gonnalose respect for M3 for doing what he did. Can Childish say the same?

Tony Oday
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
hehe we wanted childress dodged a bullet there ;)

MJZiggy
06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I still wonder if had TT interviewed him he'd have realized the man was just itching to say something stupid. Would he have made the same decision? Would he have thought of Childress as "the right fit?"

Rastak
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
OK whats better, a M3 ripping some reporter for talking shit about his player, true or not (Harris hasnt held out so its not) or Childish ripping on a player who left and was well liked by his teammates? No where near the same IMO. No player is gonnalose respect for M3 for doing what he did. Can Childish say the same?

Comon Mad, playing a bit with the facts here aren't you? Wilde said Harris was missing from the OTA's because he was upset about his contract. McCarthy then ripped him a new one and stated Harris was missing due to personal reasons and would attend the next OTA. Bullshit on both accounts...1) Many sources now state he (Harris) is pissed 2) He didn't show up.

Childress said a couple of things that made me raise my eyebrows but don't make out like your boy is perfect. He ain't.

the_idle_threat
06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Neither is perfect, but the Pack still dodged a bullet in not hiring Childress.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 08:35 PM
I think what the point of Mad's argument was that Childress' comments were far more detrimental to the team and development of rapport with players than M3s

MadtownPacker
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Comon Mad, playing a bit with the facts here aren't you? Wilde said Harris was missing from the OTA's because he was upset about his contract. McCarthy then ripped him a new one and stated Harris was missing due to personal reasons and would attend the next OTA. Bullshit on both accounts...1) Many sources now state he (Harris) is pissed 2) He didn't show up.

Childress said a couple of things that made me raise my eyebrows but don't make out like your boy is perfect. He ain't.Like I said "true or not" M3 was taking defense of his player. Now that the Packers have a seperate GM and HC these kind of things dont impact a HC and a players relationship like they did with Sherm and Im sure it helped doom him (mckenzie).

Childish though ripped into culpepper who must have had still good friends in MN if he was willing to kick it on the boat with them. I recall daunte had some issues with the management but I dont recall him saying anything about new HC.

MadtownPacker
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I think what the point of Mad's argument was that Childress' comments were far more detrimental to the team and development of rapport with players than M3sDamn, I could have just said "what BlueBrewer said" and not have had to type all that.

Bretsky
06-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Time will tell; bottom line is Brad Childress has excelled as a coach everywhere he's been. He may have made some PR mistakes, but I'm not going to say he's any better or worse than MM until I see them a couple years.

Rastak
06-28-2006, 06:59 AM
I think what the point of Mad's argument was that Childress' comments were far more detrimental to the team and development of rapport with players than M3s

I'm not sure it's was really detrimental to the players. Actually, his Culpepper comments were kind of funny. His head trainer went down to Florida because the star QB refused to go to Minnesota and he WAS running in a parking lot.

Million dollar team facility or parking lot? Which is the better place to be? He just says what's on his mind. So he pissed off a guy who plays for the Dolphins, that isn't that big a deal. The one that iritated me was that Tarvaris Jackson will finally get some coaching.

1) Uneeded insult to ASU coaches.
2) Shows too much arrogence for my tastes.

The Culpepper stuff didn't bother me near as much.

Merlin
06-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Tice got fired because he is a moron. Childress was a puppet in Philly (everyone knows Reid ran the offense) and the players/fans in Minnesotta won't realize that for another 5 years. If you compare the foot in mouth disease between Tice and Childress, I would say that Childress caught up to Tice in a hurry. What a pair of idiots...

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Time will tell; bottom line is Brad Childress has excelled as a coach everywhere he's been. He may have made some PR mistakes, but I'm not going to say he's any better or worse than MM until I see them a couple years.

I want to go back to Bretsky's homerism in a couple of years, and see if it was warranted. I respect Bretsky, but he's more homeristic about the Badgers than the Packers.
:D

Partial
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Just out of general curiousity B, what were your thoughts on Dayne and Bennett coming out? I didn't know football back then, so I of course thought they'd be some of the best players in the league!!

mngolf19
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM

I'm not sure it's was really detrimental to the players. Actually, his Culpepper comments were kind of funny. His head trainer went down to Florida because the star QB refused to go to Minnesota and he WAS running in a parking lot.

Million dollar team facility or parking lot? Which is the better place to be? He just says what's on his mind. So he pissed off a guy who plays for the Dolphins, that isn't that big a deal. The one that iritated me was that Tarvaris Jackson will finally get some coaching.

1) Uneeded insult to ASU coaches.
2) Shows too much arrogence for my tastes.

The Culpepper stuff didn't bother me near as much.

And what he said about these places in Orlando is true, I've seen lots of them there. Medical places in that area are all crap and many function out of strip malls. Maybe he should have left well alone, but he was stating facts.

ahaha
06-28-2006, 01:30 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

I was trying to post a funny picture I have of Tice, but couldn't figure out how to do that.

If anyone knows how, please inform me.

Partial
06-28-2006, 01:36 PM
hit the Img button on the reply panel, paste the URL of the image (acquire by right clicking, properties, copy the url), then hit the Img button again to close the function off.

Rastak
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM

I was trying to post a funny picture I have of Tice, but couldn't figure out how to do that.

If anyone knows how, please inform me.

That would add alot to the discussion.

MadtownPacker
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM

If anyone knows how, please inform me.Still a great thread Ahaha, to post pics it should work like this example:

http://www.ticespicture.com/meathead.jpg

motife
06-29-2006, 06:31 AM
http://www.firstclasscharters.net/images/picsofmonth/mvc_116.JPG

6'8" of whoop your ass.

Iron Mike
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-1019-tice.jpg

BlueBrewer
06-29-2006, 08:03 AM

That just made my day, what a way to get your day started, a good laugh

Rastak
06-29-2006, 08:30 AM

Add AJ Hawk and you'd have 3 perfect matches!

Iron Mike
06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
That just made my day, what a way to get your day started, a good laugh

Here's a link to the whole article:

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-1019-tice.html

Harlan Huckleby
06-29-2006, 05:43 PM
I kinda like Tice. Or maybe I just don't like that people dismiss him because he looks like a big dumb jock. I was defensive of Sherm because people picked at him because of his looks/demeanor. Demeanor da better.