PDA

View Full Version : Chargers, Saints look to get back on track in London

Pacopete4
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Associated Press

The New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers each had high expectations heading into this season, but both teams are playing sub-.500 football.

The Saints may have a tougher time getting their season on track, though, as star running back Reggie Bush is injured and they're losing a home date on their schedule to serve as the designated hosts in Sunday's matchup against the Chargers in London.New Orleans and San Diego both look to bounce back from discouraging losses and avoid the distractions of playing overseas when they meet at Wembley Stadium.

Neither the Saints (3-4) nor the Chargers (3-4) have managed to get in rhythm this year, but New Orleans' season may have taken a turn for the worst last Sunday as Bush sustained cartilage damage in his knee in a 30-7 loss to Carolina.

Bush, who has 660 scrimmage yards and five touchdowns on the season, had surgery on his left knee Monday instead of traveling with the team to London. It's unclear how long he'll be out.

"He has been a big part of what we have been able to do offensively and it's an injury that we have to deal with," Saints coach Sean Payton said.

Aaron Stecker or Pierre Thomas will be called on to play alongside Deuce McAllister in the backfield.

While the loss of Bush certainly hurts, New Orleans has other problems.

The Saints are in last place in the NFC South and have lost all three of their games away from the Superdome.

"We came over here knowing that this is pretty much a must-win game for us," said wide receiver Marques Colston, who returned from a thumb injury last week. "We have the bye week next week, and just to go in with a win could set our season back on the right track."

New Orleans was held to a season low in points last week, as Drew Brees finished 21-of-39 for 231 yards and an interception.

"Our three previous losses were all games that we had opportunities to win at the end," Brees said. "This was the first one that we were beaten decisively. ... That was more disappointing than anything."

Brees was drafted by San Diego in 2001 and played his first five seasons for the Chargers, leading them to an AFC West title in 2004 before signing as a free agent with New Orleans before the 2006 season. Since then, Brees has thrown for an NFL-best 11,065 yards and is fourth in the league with 66 touchdowns.

"I'd by lying if I told you it was just any other game," said Brees, who leads the league with 2,224 passing yards this season. "But certainly I'm not blowing it out of proportion, and I'm not putting any added pressure on myself or my team."

In the last meeting between these teams on Nov. 7, 2004, Brees threw four touchdown passes in leading San Diego to a 43-17 victory.
Philip Rivers was a rookie for the Chargers in 2004, and San Diego named him the starting quarterback in 2006. Rivers helped lead San Diego to the AFC Championship game last season, but this year has been a struggle at times.

In last Sunday's 23-14 loss at Buffalo, Rivers fumbled twice and threw an interception.

"The taste of that loss isn't gone by any means," Rivers said after arriving in London on Monday. "It was a big game that we lost (Sunday), and we know that, but we're going to have to rebound."

Rivers leads the league with 16 touchdown passes, but he's had little help in the ground game from LaDainian Tomlinson, who still appears hesitant while nursing a toe injury.

After running for a season-high 106 yards and two touchdowns in San Diego's 28-18 win over Oakland on Sept. 28, Tomlinson has rushed for 150 yards and no scores in his last three games.

"The run game comes with opportunities and gaining some momentum," Tomlinson said. "Obviously, we didn't have any momentum in the run game. That's why we're suffering."

This matchup will be the league's second regular season game in London after the New York Giants defeated Miami 13-10 last Oct. 28.

The Giants, who opened 2007 with back-to-back losses, improved to 6-2 with the victory over the Dolphins and went on to win the Super Bowl.

"They were kind of going through the same struggles," Tomlinson said of the Giants. "They came here and it kind of changed their season. We're hoping for the same kind of luck. Hopefully, London brings us that."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Tony Oday
10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I HATE THESE GAMES OVERSEAS!

Not fair to the team that loses a home game at all.

Pacopete4
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
how does it work with the money they lose from fans going to their stadium and surrounding businesses for the home game? or does the nfl throw out a big FU to them

gbgary
10-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I HATE THESE GAMES OVERSEAS!

i do to and hope the Pack never end up in one. they (foreign coutries) don't give a crap about american football. why does the nfl keep trying to shove it down their throats? yes this game may be a sell-out but only because it's an oddity. hell...darts is bigger in the uk than american football. just watch skysports sometime if you don't believe me.

Pugger
10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree, the "home" team here is getting screwed royally and I pray the NFL scraps this notion of foreign games before the Pack is scheduled for one of these "exhibitions". :evil: If the NFL wants to shove the game down the throats to folks that mostly don't give a rat's tail about American Football they should do it during the preseason! :roll: Cities like GB and Buffalo NEED the revenue home games provide. Twice the NFL tried to push American Football over there and it failed both times. Helloooo??!!! :?

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Reports say 3 Saints have tested positive for a water pill that masks steroids. There's said to be 10-18 players that tested positive. Let's hope no Packers are on the list.

Scott Campbell
10-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I heard Duece was on the list.

mraynrand
10-25-2008, 10:41 AM
I was thinking there might be a way for it to be and 'away game' for both teams, but it is not so. It is the Saints home game. Even worse for them, it follows an away game at Carolina and then is followed by thier Bye week and then away games at Atlanta and Kansas City. They have four straight road games, followed by a home game vs. Our Packers. They go from Oct 12 to November 24 between home games. Wow. Forget N.O. - my gut says that's bad for the Packers.

oregonpackfan
10-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Americans have to remember that "Football" or what we call "soccer" is the world's most popular sport and will always be the world's most popular sport.

While I don't mind an occasional NFL game played in Canada or Mexico(as those countries do show an interest in "American football") I think it is a waste of time and money to have NFL games in other foreign countries.

Scott Campbell
10-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm of the mind that if you're not growing, you're dying. While it's not fair to the Saints, somebody had to do it.

Fritz
10-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Americans have to remember that "Football" or what we call "soccer" is the world's most popular sport and will always be the world's most popular sport.

While I don't mind an occasional NFL game played in Canada or Mexico(as those countries do show an interest in "American football") I think it is a waste of time and money to have NFL games in other foreign countries.

But now Tarlam can fly from Germany and see the game. It's a waste of time and money depending on your perspective...

steve823
10-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Reports say 3 Saints have tested positive for a water pill that masks steroids. There's said to be 10-18 players that tested positive. Let's hope no Packers are on the list.

You happen to have the article? Im curious on who was caught so far

gbgary
10-25-2008, 06:19 PM

so now the game will have a steroid-scandal tainted team in it. even more embarrassing for the nfl. hopefully this and the bad weather this weekend in the uk will keep the people away and the nfl will come back with it's tail between it's legs never to return.

KYPack
10-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I've wondered about the compensation for the teams that travel abroad myself. Did some googling and turned up some of the info on this. Of course the NFL is gaga about expanding into a global league, but only if it generates scary revenue right from the jump. That was the reason for the World league/NFL Eurpoa. That little experiment proved Euro fans wanted NFL football only, not a minor league facsimile.

The NFL pays about 5 million (pounds that is, that's 10 million american beans) to put on the annual London game. The visiting team and all 3 other NFL teams split the profits on this game after expenses. This game will be broadcast live on BBC and is expected to generate big revenue. The game is a sellout and ticket $ will be solid.

The "home" team gets a bigger cut for losing one of their regular home dates. I wasn't able to get any figures, but the two teams don't lose any money by playing in the game, but needless to say, it's a major pain in the ass.

Behind all this is the NFL desire to expand into major world markets. There would be a pile of money in expanding to Mex City, London and Toronto. But would other expansion be profitable? Paris and Berlin have been mentioned, but I think both markets might be a bit jaded and enjoy snubbing an American product.

Tokyo, Beijing always pop up in expansion lists of markets, but could you really make it work logistically?

The NBA was all ate up about world expansion, but their forecasts in the light of the recent financial crashes caused 'em to fire 90 intl employees.

I dunno if this will ever work or not. It sure ain't worth it to play one game a year. The game got a little boost from last years participants. the G-Men won the SB & the game didn't hurt them any.

Guiness
10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Steroids in the NFL??? While I never! :shock:

Those 350lb solid muscle linemen? All natural, I tell ya! :roll:
Put me squarely in the camp that thinks most/all pro athletes need 'enhancements' to complete on that level. All push the envelope, some go over the so-called line.

There's an article at sportsline about it.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11058874

Only Deuce and Will Smith were named - here's an excerpt:

he only names the station mentioned were the two Saints, who are in London for Sunday's game with the San Diego Chargers

Badgerinmaine
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Cities like GB and Buffalo NEED the revenue home games provide.

Did you know that the Bills have agreed to play five home games in Toronto through 2012, and will play some preseason games there, too?