PDA

View Full Version : Grady To Raiders?

Scott Campbell
06-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Former Packers veteran DT Jackson to visit Raiders
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Veteran defensive tackle Grady Jackson, one of the few starting-caliber players remaining in free agency just a month before training camps open around the NFL, will visit later this week with Oakland Raiders officials as he seeks a new team for the 2006 season.

Jackson, who played for Green Bay the past three years, is coming off one of the most productive seasons of his nine-year league tenure, having started all 16 games for the Packers in 2005, when he registered a career-best 72 tackles. Despite his performance, the Packers made little effort to re-sign Jackson once he entered the unrestricted free-agent market.

In the three months of free agency to date, Jackson, 33, has met with officials and coaches from a number of franchises, including Atlanta and St. Louis, as well as Oakland earlier in the spring. The Rams probably came the closest to signing the experienced run-stuffer but opted to add free agent Jason Fisk instead. As has been the case for much of Jackson's career, some teams had questions about his weight problems.

Several franchises remain in the market for defensive tackles and, as it gets closer to camp, the interest in Jackson could increase.

The Raiders lost a pair of veteran defensive tackles, Ted Washington and Ed Jasper, in free agency and are thin at the backup positions behind projected starters Warren Sapp and Tommy Kelly. It is not known if Jackson is scheduled to undergo a physical exam in Oakland.

Even at this late stage of his career, Jackson remains an interior defender capable of clogging things up in the middle and of playing effectively against the run. He often commands double-team blocking because of his size and strength, and that allows teammates to flow more readily to the ball. His stamina appeared to be much improved in 2005, and his 16 starts were his most since 2001.

Earlier in his career, Jackson also provided some inside push in pass-rush situations, but he hasn't played on third down the last several seasons and has just two sacks in the past two campaigns.

In 123 games, including 80 starts, Jackson has recorded 431 tackles, 32 ½ sacks, nine forced fumbles, seven recoveries and 24 passes defensed.

Jackson actually began his career with the Raiders in 1997, when they made him a sixth-round draft pick from Knoxville College. He has served stints in Oakland (1997-2001), New Orleans (2002) and Green Bay (2003-05).

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

CyclonePackFan
06-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Oakland...the retirement home of the NFL

Noodle
06-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm in the minority here, but I'm kind of sad to see him go. I think he could still contribute if used in a rotation. When he was fresh, he could be a beast.

Harlan Huckleby
06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't think you are in the minority, Noodle. Nobody is losing sleep over Grady's departure, but I bet the majority of fans would want to give him a conditional contract. (uhhh, not making a pun on his condition, I just mean not a lot of gauranteed money.)

mmmdk
06-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Grady did fine for Packers but mainly in spurts, never consistantly during the seasons. He's 33 going 34 - let's move on and I hope the best in Raiderland.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Jackson will fit in nice there if he goes. It's a bunch of washed up stars. Exactly what he is. Have fun with Sapp fat ass.

MacCool606
06-27-2006, 01:10 PM
I kinda wish we could get Grady in the DT rotation too. But, Grady was looking for the big $$ contract, and seemed to think Green Bay owed him one. Now maybe his stance has been changed a bit, but my guess is that the only way the Packers could get him would be if he doesn't get any interest from anyone else.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Not signing Grady will look like a great move in year, I would put money on it. He is only one Extra Tasty Crispy Bucket away from a triple bypass or a blown knee.

Pack0514
06-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Well its not Grady but, the Raiders have signed Donnell Washington. I believe the Raiders also signed Robert Thomas as a UFA earlier in the FA signing period..

From KFFL.com ----

Raiders | D. Washington signed
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:36:47 -0700

Raiders.com reports the Oakland Raiders have signed free agent DT Donnell Washington (Packers) to an undisclosed contract.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't think you are in the minority, Noodle. Nobody is losing sleep over Grady's departure, but I bet the majority of fans would want to give him a conditional contract. (uhhh, not making a pun on his condition, I just mean not a lot of gauranteed money.)

I liked Grady Jacksons efforts for us on the field and overall he was impressive when on the line.

I believe his time with us was over and that showed definitely during TC last season as he complained a good deal and missed his buddy Cletidus.

I felt that, it was one of those definite 'times to move on', for Grady and the Packers.

I hope he finds work as I certainly would have pulled for him if he turned back to us.That wasn't ever going to happen, as we have real depth at the middle of OUR DL with a position by committee approach.

MJZiggy
07-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Looks like it's not gonna happen.

Raiders | G. Jackson may not visit
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 03:41:52 -0700

Jason Jones, of the Sacramento Bee, reports there were reports that the Oakland Raiders were bringing in free agent DT Grady Jackson (Packers) for a visit, but that may not happen. Jackson's return to the Raiders would go against Oakland's plan of rebuilding around veteran DT Warren Sapp with young players.

MJZiggy
07-02-2006, 09:14 AM
And while we're on the topic of the Raidahs, Washington signed his big money contract.

Raiders | Contract update: D. Washington
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:04:42 -0700

Oakland Raiders DL Donnell Washington signed a one-year contract with the team with a base salary of $350,000 for the 2006 season.

Carolina_Packer
07-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I hope we are just as happy with Ryan Pickett. Grady probably wanted a little too much money for what the Packers would want to bring him back for. Oh well, it happens in the NFL. I wasn't unhappy with him when he was healthy.

Mazzin
07-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I think the big guy really was a BIG part of our defense haha. But I think pickett will fill in nicely