PDA

View Full Version : MIKE SINGLETARY

Bretsky
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
CLASSIC today with our old pal Vernon Davis

Davis slapped an opposing player

Mike Singletary threw his ass off the field and then went off on the post game conference.

Interesting stuff

Apparently he told Davis he'd help the 49ers more by going into the locker room, showering, and then coming back in Street Clothes.

And off went VD to the locker room while the rest of the game was played

Brando19
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
DAMN! I just seen that on TV. Singletary is running a tight ship up there in San Fran...until Vernon Davis gets pissed and whips his ass... :lol:

BallHawk
10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Good for him.

Cheesehead Craig
10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
DAMN! I just seen that on TV. Singletary is running a tight ship up there in San Fran...until Vernon Davis gets pissed and whips his ass... :lol:
VD goes after Mike and VD would get his ass whooped.

St. Vince
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM

I think Mike has the edge in this fight. The guy is tough as nails.

Discipline? Sportsmanship? I thought they were dead. I never thought I could thank a Bear but here goes, Thank You, Mike Singletary. I have hope that the future of the NFL will look to you for guidance.

Lurker64
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I think at this point, the only person in the NFL who regrets missing out on Vernon Davis is Al Davis.

Brando19
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM

20 years ago....yeah. Now...Mike would beg Vernon to stop beating him to a bloody pulp. Face the facts...people age.

MJZiggy
10-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I bet Mike Singletary never cried during the draft. VD messes with him and he doesn't need to worry about getting a beatdown. He needs to worry about the splinters in his ass because it's obvious his coach isn't putting up with much and Davis is now in his doghouse.

Brando19
10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I bet Mike Singletary never cried during the draft. VD messes with him and he doesn't need to worry about getting a beatdown. He needs to worry about the splinters in his ass because it's obvious his coach isn't putting up with much and Davis is now in his doghouse.

Well said... :clap:

Freak Out
10-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I bet Mike Singletary never cried during the draft.

:)

Damn strait. He may not be able to take him alone at his age but you know damn well someone will watch his back.

TravisWilliams23
10-27-2008, 05:44 AM
I'll bet this is the first time in his life VD has been told the world doesn't revolve around him. Kudos to Mike Singletary.

Now we'll see just what kink of a player-person Vernon really is. He can sulk and act like a 2 year old or he can use this as a springboard to make himself the premier tight end many predicted he would be coming out of college.

Thank you TT for picking AJ Hawk.

KYPack
10-27-2008, 08:01 AM

Vernon Davis is gonna do no such thing. For one thing, he approached Mike after the game and was sent packing again. Singletary told him, "you don't want to talk to me now".

Davis would have about 40 players and a bunch of coaches on his ass if he started any shit. The Niners didn't win the game, but they took a step towards becoming a team again. The guys respect that stuff.

On a physical level, if Davis and Singletary tangled, Vernon better pack a lunch, because Mike would battle his ass all day long.

GoPackGo
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
here's the press conference

http://ballhype.com/video/mike_singletary_full_press_conference_classic_hd/

Fritz
10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Hooray for the Pack not taking Davis.

And hooray for Mike Singletary.

Cheesehead Craig
10-27-2008, 01:19 PM

+1

VD hasn't really done jack since being in the league. He has been mostly hype. Donald Lee has similar numbers the last 3 seasons.

He needed someone to knock him down a few pegs and kudos for Singletary for doing it.

KYPack
10-27-2008, 03:08 PM

+1

VD hasn't really done jack since being in the league. He has been mostly hype. Donald Lee has similar numbers the last 3 seasons.

He needed someone to knock him down a few pegs and kudos for Singletary for doing it.

Davis has all the physical talent in the world. He still plays like a rookie. Every 4-5 plays, he blows somebody up. Then, it's a couple blown assignments mixed in with a few whiffs.

Million dollar body with a ten cent head on it.

sheepshead
10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Yet another example of the need for a rookie salary cap and why TT should stay out of the first round every year until we get one.

red
10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
more from pft. go get em mike

SINGLETARY WANTS TO GET RID OF “CANCERS”
Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2008, 3:51 p.m.

As it turns out, Sunday’s eye-popping postgame press conference from new 49ers coach Mike Singletary was preceded by an even more fiery locker-room speech, during which Singletary promised to rid the team of “cancers.”

“There are some people in this room that don’t need to be here,” Singletary told the team, according to Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “We’ve got guys in here that are cancers. The thing about cancer cells is, they multiply. We’ve got to cut them out.”

One of the tumors apparently is tight end Vernon Davis, whom Singletary booted after Davis was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

“You don’t need to be sayin’ nothin’ to me right now,” Davis reportedly said as Singletary was in the process of chewing the third-year player out for his error.

“I said I don’t need to hear it,” Davis said.

And that’s when Singletary told the sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft to hit the showers.

One veteran defensive player praised the move to Silver: “Vernon does this crap all the time, and [former coach Mike] Nolan would always let it go. He created this monster.”

We also think that “this monster” was created in part by a rookie wage system that makes an annual handful of players untouchable during the early stages of their careers, since their teams can’t afford to take the cap hit that would result from cutting them. Time and again we’ve heard rumblings that players who waltz into the locker room as multi-multi-millionaires often can’t be coached or mentored, because they simply refuse to listen.

Because they know that, no matter what happens, they aren’t going anywhere.

The strangest aspect of Nolan’s reputation for going easy on the players is that he was, by all appearances, a butthole when it came to his dealings with the front office. Even after G.M. Scot McCloughan persuaded ownership to give Nolan another chance at coaching the team after Nolan’s authority over personnel had been transferred to McCloughan, Nolan boasted at the press conference announcing the move that “I will remain the one voice in this organization, and the face.”

Well, the organization now has a new voice, and a new face. And his first order of business apparently will be to undo the damage Nolan caused by tolerating guys who aren’t committed to the goal of winning via teamwork.

That said, where was Singletary before he became the head coach? Was he privately lobbying Nolan to engage in some organizational oncology, or was Singletary simply keeping his mouth shut, waiting and hoping for the whole thing to fall apart so that he’d get his chance to put it all back together?

Partial
10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaDJ-WuuSY

video of presser.

Can't do it!

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaDJ-WuuSY

video of presser.

Can't do it!

lol; going to be a classic like "hello, we play to win the game..."

texaspackerbacker
10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Hooray for the Packers for not getting Vernon Davis--even though I was for him before I was against him.

Hooray for the Packers more so for NOT getting Mike Singletary as head coach.

The guy is NOT a good coach with regard to x's and o's, and his attitude will do more harm than good in the context of today's players. Some people may like this confrontational crap, but that just creates division and distraction, and it ain't what wins games.

MJZiggy
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know, Tex. Right now, that toughness might be just what the niners need--someone who won't take the players' prima donna b.s.

Carolina_Packer
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
It would have been an easy mistake for a lesser evaluator to make to draft VD over AJ. AJ might not be the most impressive player from his class, but he's more impressive at his position than VD, and won't be a bad guy on the football team, ever.

bobblehead
10-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Hooray for the Packers for not getting Vernon Davis--even though I was for him before I was against him.

Hooray for the Packers more so for NOT getting Mike Singletary as head coach.

The guy is NOT a good coach with regard to x's and o's, and his attitude will do more harm than good in the context of today's players. Some people may like this confrontational crap, but that just creates division and distraction, and it ain't what wins games.

We don't really know...with MM as his coach and Favre as his QB he might have been put into his place right quick and he might be a stud right now. This is why I value TT and MM so much...they create players that may fail elsewhere....which is why I didn't want to cave to Ryan Grant.

gex
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I would take Singletery as a coach anyday.

texaspackerbacker
10-29-2008, 12:38 AM
I don't know, Tex. Right now, that toughness might be just what the niners need--someone who won't take the players' prima donna b.s.

Mark my words, I guarantee, within the first six games, the opposition will TEST Singletary, and people will think he isn't experienced enough to make the right decision. The 49ers players will have to stick with him ....... but a lot of them won't because they won't be able to handle his outmoded "toughness"--similar to Ditka's second time around.

I don't give a shit if the 49ers go down the toilet or not. I'm just glad the Packers didn't end up with Singletary or somebody similar.

KYPack
10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I could take Tex on about Singletary, but I won't, cause he may be right.

Mike knows the x's and o's all right. But coaches don't get to play that badass card as much people think. You have to reach the players on a lot of different levels. Turning up the heat only works if that's your real personality and you have some good assistant coaches who can balance the constant pressure it puts on the guys.

Mike doesn't have his own staff, yet.

How he's supported by management will also bring a lot to bear on whether he can be successful. SF management hasn't been all that savvy. I dunno if they can support Mike with the right cast of characters to win there.

Mike Ditka wouldn't have been shit if it hadn't been for Jerry Vainisi pulling all those rubies out of the draft for Mike to holler at.

Spaulding
10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Although I agree with the Singletary approach, that was old school and pretty much only worked in years past (50's,60's,70's and 80's). Players today are mostly coddled or hyped way too much for their own good.

Classic examples of a coaches hard line approach (Ditka, Coughlin up until last year he had Tiki saying the coach had lost the team and Coughlin evidently changes his approach/style) get old or tuned out by the players.

It's sad as all the bullshit and whining and showboating degrades the league in my opinion but as long as fans suffer it or allow their kids to emulate it - it's not going away and neither are the pampered players.

All I can say is thank goodness for McCarthy's approach and some of the leaders on this team (Woodson, Harris, Kampman, Driver, etc.).

Draft football players first, athletes second, entertainers 43rd.

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2008, 08:23 AM
The 49ers have such a losing mentality right now that they need someone to stand up and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". Mike may only last the rest of the season, but he's going to wake some people up while he's there to believe they should be doing better. That's what SF needs right now. GB didn't need that and MM was the perfect hire for us. Singletary is what SF needs for the remainder of the season.

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
There was a series on this in the Washington Post on Monday. Here is what Dan Reeves had to say about it.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2008/10/keep-it-real.html

Freak Out
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
The 49rs are fucked because of who owns the team not by who coaches the team.

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think Singletary will need to coach that aggressively if he's still in the job in a year or two--but at the start of the job it's more necessary to lay down the law and let people know who is in charge. You can always let up later (as Tom Coughlin seems got have done to a point), but going the other way is very hard.

Fritz
10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Back when I'ze a kid we never give no one no lip. We got whooped up on an' beat on by air elders, an' by golly we liked it!

It toughened us up an' made us men - even the wimin!

That ol' Mike Singletary's gonna make a man out of that punk yet!

MOBB DEEP
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
because singletary is a pk (preacher's kid) im assuming he's going to use this whole ordeal as a teachn moment and seek to appeal to vd's sensibilites. i doubt he wants to alienate any player but instead wants to help them grow as men first then players (thats OLD SCHOOL and biblical, btw). he's a smart guy so he's bound to use his wisdom/experience appropriately

SO much is a bout attitude when u're dealing with a league with so many talented players. im sure behind closed doors he's being more comapasionate/empathic than that press conference. vernon is STRAIGHT FROM THE HOOD here in DC and has been catered too by fam, friends, and coaches. but like MOST from that demographic (not all Pac Man types ya know?!), he'll learn to appreciate this type of structure and guidance

once the players realize he cares (jeff fisher-like) they'll run through a wall for MS

tex is CRAZY to not want a man like MS coaching the pack (WTH?)

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Back when I'ze a kid we never give no one no lip. We got whooped up on an' beat on by air elders, an' by golly we liked it!

It toughened us up an' made us men - even the wimin!

That ol' Mike Singletary's gonna make a man out of that punk yet!

Didja walk uphill both ways to school in the (snow/100 degree heat) every day, too? :D

Pack-man
10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Although I agree with the Singletary approach, that was old school and pretty much only worked in years past (50's,60's,70's and 80's). Players today are mostly coddled or hyped way too much for their own good.

Classic examples of a coaches hard line approach (Ditka, Coughlin up until last year he had Tiki saying the coach had lost the team and Coughlin evidently changes his approach/style) get old or tuned out by the players.

It's sad as all the bullshit and whining and showboating degrades the league in my opinion but as long as fans suffer it or allow their kids to emulate it - it's not going away and neither are the pampered players.

All I can say is thank goodness for McCarthy's approach and some of the leaders on this team (Woodson, Harris, Kampman, Driver, etc.).

Draft football players first, athletes second, entertainers 43rd.

+1

I also do like the fact that MS called VD out and sent him packing during the game. I know a few of his players gave MS props for doing this to VD because he had been a major pain in the ass. Doing this once and setting the tone is Ok, but to continually do this will never work in this day an age of all the diva players.

MS will not be able to continue to chastize players publically or he will lose control of the team quickly. That is a shame but its reality.