6 total turnovers
13 sacks

^Advantage Rodgers

gbgary
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/smilies/smilie_thud.gif

gex
10-26-2008, 08:29 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lurker64
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
As much as some may or may not love Favre, you have to admit the possibility that Thompson and McCarthy might have known what they were doing when they picked Rodgers for the job.

At this point, you also have to admit the possibility that Rodgers could have beaten Favre in a fair competition for the starting job this year.

Fred's Slacks
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Very controversial topic. Just that fact that its a arguable is great news for all Packer fans no matter what side of the fence you reside on. I think at this point Favre's ability to read the blitz, feel pressure and get rid of the ball quickly is ahead of Rodgers (understandably) and it could have helped us in a few situations this year. However Rodger makes up for some of that with his mobility and his ability to make plays with his feet. Overall, I think Favre may have had a slight edge this year but I don't think it would have been enough to change our record so far. With Rodgers, it appears we may have a pro-bowl quality QB for the next 10 years.

GrnBay007
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Troll >>>Chevelle2 :?:

All this stuff does is create arguments. How about just let them both play their own games and stop comparing? Maybe next week Favre has a better game then Rodgers and we have the same stuff posted the other way around. Is it really worth creating all the drama?

PackerTimer
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
As much as some may or may not love Favre, you have to admit the possibility that Thompson and McCarthy might have known what they were doing when they picked Rodgers for the job.

At this point, you also have to admit the possibility that Rodgers could have beaten Favre in a fair competition for the starting job this year.

Agreed. Eventually even the most ardent questioners have to say that TT and MM made the right choice not only for this year but also for last year. Rodgers may never be as good as Favre was in his prime but he is every bit as good of a QB righ now and was certainly the right choice for the future of the organization.

Joemailman
10-26-2008, 11:58 PM
If Favre were outplaying Rodgers, I'm sure there would be no shortage of threads about that, so I suppose it is fair to bring this up. Still, the only thing I really care about is that Rodgers is playing well, and will probably get better with experience. Whether Favre plays better, or worse than Rodgers is of no real consequence to me.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Quite honestly, I agree with the premise of this thread, and have been saying it for a couple of weeks. Despite a weak schedule and offensive teammates that aren't devoid a talent, Brett looks more like the 2006 version of Brett than the one that had close to a career year last year. Take out the Cards game and you'd have a ton of people thinking he's a washed up 39-year-old QB (9 TDs and 10 interceptions).

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2008, 11:59 PM
If Favre were outplaying Rodgers, I'm sure there would be no shortage of threads about that, so I suppose it is fair to bring this up. Still, the only thing I really care about is that Rodgers is playing well, and will probably get better with experience. Whether Favre plays better, or worse than Rodgers is of no real consequence to me.

Kind of how I feel, but it's fair to offer an opinion on this.

cpk1994
10-26-2008, 11:59 PM
If Favre were outplaying Rodgers, I'm sure there would be no shortage of threads about that

Understatement of the year!

SkinBasket
10-27-2008, 07:00 AM

All this stuff does is create arguments. How about just let them both play their own games and stop comparing?

I don't think it's fair to call Chevelle a troll for posting his opinion backed by numbers in a thoughtful manner. People here should be able to discuss this without it turning into a free-for-all gang bang. Just because certain people haven't been able to previously, shouldn't stop others from posting their own opinions.

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Quite honestly, I agree with the premise of this thread, and have been saying it for a couple of weeks. Despite a weak schedule and offensive teammates that aren't devoid a talent, Brett looks more like the 2006 version of Brett than the one that had close to a career year last year. Take out the Cards game and you'd have a ton of people thinking he's a washed up 39-year-old QB (9 TDs and 10 interceptions).

Actually, watching the Jets vs. K.C. yesterday, I thought he looked a lot more like the 2005 version - like at Philly. Very strange play calling - especially on some third and 1 calls. Bad judgment going deep. On some of those ugly plays, Favre almost looks like a caricature of his worst reputation. Funny thing was that without about 5-6 really bad plays, he played really well. It's like Favre has gone totally schizophrenic - good Favre most of the time and them BAM - here's the bad Favre chucking one up. Plus his arm strength has clearly diminished.

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 07:11 AM

All this stuff does is create arguments. How about just let them both play their own games and stop comparing?

I don't think it's fair to call Chevelle a troll for posting his opinion backed by numbers in a thoughtful manner. People here should be able to discuss this without it turning into a free-for-all gang bang. Just because certain people haven't been able to previously, shouldn't stop others from posting their own opinions.

If you continue your free thinking, you will be removed from this web site.

prsnfoto
10-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Actually, watching the Jets vs. K.C. yesterday, I thought he looked a lot more like the 2005 version - like at Philly. Very strange play calling - especially on some third and 1 calls. Bad judgment going deep. On some of those ugly plays, Favre almost looks like a caricature of his worst reputation. Funny thing was that without about 5-6 really bad plays, he played really well. It's like Favre has gone totally schizophrenic - good Favre most of the time and them BAM - here's the bad Favre chucking one up. Plus his arm strength has clearly diminished.

In fairness to Brett and as hard as this is for me to admit the Jets o-line is actually worse than the Packers and that is really fucking bad. One pick was a yee-haw, one he was hit and the other depends on who you listen to the announcers and obviously Brett felt his reciever stopped his route ending in a bad looking pick taken to the house. Rodgers has played well and ironically the QB would have not been the problem for the Pack this year, at the beginning of the season the schedule looked very hard in reality it shouldn't be both the Jets and the Pack are similar teams both have a shot at the playoffs because of their weak divisions and both ain't going anywhere if they get there. The good news for all us Packer fans is if TT can ever actually draft a real O-lineman and D-lineman the sky is the limit please no more WR's we are quite stocked there now!

Deputy Nutz
10-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Not to get into any argument here since I have pulled myself from this ridiculous bullshit, but all I have to say is "SCORBOARD"!!!!!

In 2007 Favre's led Packers were 13-3, and at this point in the season they were 6-1, not like the 4-3 Rodgers led Packers.

Just cared to point that out, but hey I ain't trying to predict the weather or anything.

PackerTimer
10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Not to get into any argument here since I have pulled myself from this ridiculous bullshit, but all I have to say is "SCORBOARD"!!!!!

In 2007 Favre's led Packers were 13-3, and at this point in the season they were 6-1, not like the 4-3 Rodgers led Packers.

Just cared to point that out, but hey I ain't trying to predict the weather or anything.

If the Packers defense was as healthy as they were last year, I think there's a good chance we're at least 5-2 and maybe 6-1.

Bossman641
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
The 2007 defense also gave up a lot fewer points, and the defense and special teams basically won a few games outright, Philly and Wasington games come to mind.

ThunderDan
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM

In fairness to Brett and as hard as this is for me to admit the Jets o-line is actually worse than the Packers and that is really fucking bad. One pick was a yee-haw, one he was hit and the other depends on who you listen to the announcers and obviously Brett felt his reciever stopped his route ending in a bad looking pick taken to the house. Rodgers has played well and ironically the QB would have not been the problem for the Pack this year, at the beginning of the season the schedule looked very hard in reality it shouldn't be both the Jets and the Pack are similar teams both have a shot at the playoffs because of their weak divisions and both ain't going anywhere if they get there. The good news for all us Packer fans is if TT can ever actually draft a real O-lineman and D-lineman the sky is the limit please no more WR's we are quite stocked there now!

So TT is doing a good job then?

Alan Faneca was the best free agent Guard last year. People were pissed that TT didn't go after him. Now you are admitting that the Jets line is worse than the Packers. So TT must have known what he was doing on passing on Faneca?

I'm not sure your logic is right. The Jets were supposed to have one of the best lines this year. It may have not turned out that way but on paper they were golden before the first snap of the season.

Partial
10-27-2008, 10:16 AM

If the Packers defense was as healthy as they were last year, I think there's a good chance we're at least 5-2 and maybe 6-1.

Woulda shoulda coulda. Just sayin' we could play the 'if' game all day long.

pbmax
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Now now people. If Tank has taught us anything, its that Guards are THE MOST IMPORTANT ingredient in building a Super Bowl winner. Look at all the Super Bowls that New England has won since they signed Logan Mankins ::genuflect::.

It cannot be Faneca's fault that the Jets are struggling, unless he has suffered from overnight aging or a crippling back injury, neither of which are a Guard's fault ever.

The most likely suspect is the GM. Or the playcalling. The people who are responsible are probably of questionable sexual orientation too.

pbmax
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
We need a genuflect emoticon.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

It's about as pertinent as pointing out the 2005 Packers were 1-6 at this point in the season.

Partial
10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't get it?

Partial
10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Favre is playing pretty decent over their considering their talent level. Let's not forget they were picking ahead of us in the draft when we got Hawk, but they don't see to know how to build a team and have shit for talent all over.

They have a respectable top 2 WR. That's about it. Ferguson has been a bust at T. Mangold has been ok at center after a great freshman year. Bubba is their TE... nuff said. Fanaca has been a dissapointment. They traded away a solid guard last year in Kendall. After their #1 and #2 receiver, they don't have anybody. Coles is a solid #1. Crotchstain is a solid #2.

They traded away their best DL to the Falcons two years ago for pennies in return. Ellis is getting old. Jenkins is old and fat. They traded away a stud linebacker for draft picks. They have a rookie starting at one of the OLB spots. They have one decent safety and one decent corner.

They're far from deep, or good, or anywhere near the Packers level of talent.

With that said, they have the same record, so they're playing well for their talent level. They're in a much more competitive division. Miami is showing to be for real, and NE looks awfully good as well. Buffalo looks solid as well.

Deputy Nutz
10-27-2008, 11:25 AM

It's about as pertinent as pointing out the 2005 Packers were 1-6 at this point in the season.

Like I said, I ain't trying to predict the weather, but record comparison is a lot more accurate than comparing statistics of two QBs that play on totally different teams, I get that Rodgers throws the ball to himself, blocks for himself, runs the ball, you know all the things that Favre does for himself as well.

The comparison is stupid, and even during my argument stage, I certainly never supported a comparision between Rodgers and Favre. Shit why not just compare careers at this point? Where do the comparisions end?

Like Favre said, nothing in this game is guaranteed, nothing is consistent in the NFL from year to year, so again, be at peace watch the Packers, watch the Jets if you choose, but the second half of the year is starting, maybe we should just put this shit behind us.

Deputy Nutz
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Different coaching staff totally different players, total roster overall since 2005. Anything else smart guy?

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Different coaching staff totally different players, total roster overall since 2005. Anything else smart guy?

The point is. It's not the same team. It's not the same schedule. There aren't the same amount of injuries. The defenses aren't playing similarly. There's no telling if Favre would play like he did in 2006 or 2007. I've watched all of the Packer games and I've watched a majority of the Jets game, and it's pretty clear to me who is playing better. If you can't at least acknowledge that, then it's pretty useless to discuss.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I think Favre is playing pretty decent over their considering their talent level. Let's not forget they were picking ahead of us in the draft when we got Hawk, but they don't see to know how to build a team and have shit for talent all over.

They have a respectable top 2 WR. That's about it. Ferguson has been a bust at T. Mangold has been ok at center after a great freshman year. Bubba is their TE... nuff said. Fanaca has been a dissapointment. They traded away a solid guard last year in Kendall. After their #1 and #2 receiver, they don't have anybody. Coles is a solid #1. Crotchstain is a solid #2.

They traded away their best DL to the Falcons two years ago for pennies in return. Ellis is getting old. Jenkins is old and fat. They traded away a stud linebacker for draft picks. They have a rookie starting at one of the OLB spots. They have one decent safety and one decent corner.

They're far from deep, or good, or anywhere near the Packers level of talent.

With that said, they have the same record, so they're playing well for their talent level. They're in a much more competitive division. Miami is showing to be for real, and NE looks awfully good as well. Buffalo looks solid as well.

Whatever. The Jets have two good WRs in Cotchery and Coles. Stuckey isn't a bad slot receiver. Jones is a solid RB. Bubba isn't their primary TE. He's third in receptions. They have two solid pass catching TEs in Chris Baker and athletic rookie TE Dustin Keller. It's not his teammates fault that Brett's chucking it up whenever he gets any kind of pressure.

I understand there's a learning curve, but it should be smaller on a 16 year veteran and he's also had an easy schedule to deal with. He's thrown 3 TDs and 7 interceptions against the softest part of his schedule (Cincinnati, Oakland, and Kansas City).

Deputy Nutz
10-27-2008, 11:39 AM

The point is. It's not the same team. It's not the same schedule. There aren't the same amount of injuries. The defenses aren't playing similarly. There's no telling if Favre would play like he did in 2006 or 2007. I've watched all of the Packer games and I've watched a majority of the Jets game, and it's pretty clear to me who is playing better. If you can't at least acknowledge that, then it's pretty useless to discuss.

Whatever. Really it doesn't matter, It is a total useless waste of time to bother discuss this, you at least got that right.

prsnfoto
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Alan Faneca was the best free agent Guard last year. People were pissed that TT didn't go after him. Now you are admitting that the Jets line is worse than the Packers. So TT must have known what he was doing on passing on Faneca?

I'm not sure your logic is right. The Jets were supposed to have one of the best lines this year. It may have not turned out that way but on paper they were golden before the first snap of the season.

My logic is that TT has drafted at least 6 o-linemen and they haven't panned out yet but he has done a great job at drafting WR's. I never clamoured for Faneca because I knew TT would not sign him anyhow turns out he might have been right. My logic is that with Rodger's the Jets are probably 4-3 and with Favre the Packers are probably 4-3 the QB play is not the main concern on either franchise. I would argue that the Packer's roster has more talent to work with over all.

Partial
10-27-2008, 11:53 AM

I agree, but to the contrary, if you flip-flopped Rodgers and Favre onto the opposite teams, do you feel your opinion would stay the same? That is the point. I surely do not feel that way. The Packers are a far better team. Rodgers has to not screw it up. Favre has to create.

Bossman641
10-27-2008, 12:23 PM

I agree, but to the contrary, if you flip-flopped Rodgers and Favre onto the opposite teams, do you feel your opinion would stay the same? That is the point. I surely do not feel that way. The Packers are a far better team. Rodgers has to not screw it up. Favre has to create.

What exactly does Favre have to create? I'd say his statistics make it look like he is playing better than he actually is. He got a boatload of TD's against the Cardinals when the defense kept taking the ball away. Other than that he has been far from a playmaker.

SkinBasket
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Where do the comparisions end?

(L*5+G*3)/10

Where L=length and G=girth. Full turgidity is assumed. Weight has been discounted due to the degree of difficultly involved with using a kitchen meat scale while attaining the desired balance so as to gain an accurate measurement.

SkinBasket=5.4

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
For whoever watched the Jets game, can you at least agree that Favre threw at least 3 or 4 really really bad and ill advised tosses (not even including the pick six). Some of that was bad playcalling (unless audibled to by Favre), and some of it was absolutely horrendous judgment by Favre. That's what I saw, and for the record, I really want to see Favre play well.

RashanGary
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Jets D YPG 12th overall
Pack D YPG 16th overall
Advantage Jets

Jets D PPG 20th
Pack D PPG 17th
Advantage Pack, but many Favre turnovers probably contribute to Jets givng up points

Jets rushing YPG 15th
Packer rushing YPG 23rd
Advantage Jets

Packers QB Play > Jets QB play

the only thing that makes us equal is Rodgers playing better QB than their guy. Can't really use the "Jets are worse overall, so that is why Favre is playing worse" arguement here. The Packers are worse overall and Rodgers is still outplaying him.

ND72
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Personally, I hate making comparisons like that. They just aren't real comparisons. For the most part, I do think Favre carried us last year, at least through most of the year. Is Rodgers carrying us this year? Some might say yes, some might say no. I'm going with what I've said all along. If Aaron Rodgers, plays the way Aaron Rodgers can play, manage the game, be smart, and complete passes, we'll be fine. And that's exactly what he's done. Minus the Tampa game, he has been one of the top QB's in the league this year. If we get our running game going, you might see the Packers explode much like last years team.

However...for us to be successful with Aaron, we need our defense to play like they did against Indy. Allow us to be careful and cautious and smart, and not have to take chances.

cheesner
10-27-2008, 03:45 PM

My logic is that TT has drafted at least 6 o-linemen and they haven't panned out yet but he has done a great job at drafting WR's. I never clamoured for Faneca because I knew TT would not sign him anyhow turns out he might have been right. My logic is that with Rodger's the Jets are probably 4-3 and with Favre the Packers are probably 4-3 the QB play is not the main concern on either franchise. I would argue that the Packer's roster has more talent to work with over all.

Wolf was also a pathetic judge of OL talent as in all the years he was GM he only drafted one offensive linemen (Aaron Taylor) who was successful*.

*Many of Wolf's picks became successful, Wahle, Timmerman, Taucsher, Rivera, etc. but only after 3-5 years into the league. In comparing the two GMS, it would be unfair to expect TTs OL to perform better sooner than Wolf's picks.

gex
10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
A-rod is what he is, a good game manager, nothing spectacular but not hopeless. If he sticks with the plan and doesn't turn it over we will be in the game at the end.
Favre is a game changer, he instills fear into opposing defensive coordinators trying to game plan against him, and his presence opens up other aspects of the offense.

cpk1994
10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
A-rod is what he is, a good game manager, nothing spectacular but not hopeless. If he sticks with the plan and doesn't turn it over we will be in the game at the end.
Favre is a game changer, he instills fear into opposing defensive coordinators trying to game plan against him, and his presence opens up other aspects of the offense.I hate to break it to ya, but Brett isn't scaring D Coordinators at all right now.

Tony Oday
10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Favre is a game changer, he instills fear into opposing defensive coordinators trying to game plan against him, and his presence opens up other aspects of the offense.I hate to break it to ya, but Brett isn't scaring D Coordinators at all right now.

Brett right now is a D coordinators dream!

AR is a game changer because on 3rd and 5 he can scramble for the first if there isn't anyone open. Does he make the stupid/ill advised/brilliant/into triple coverage TDs? no. But he is threading the needle like no other and his arm strength is great.

Lurker64
10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Personally, I think the term "game changer" is one of the most overused cliches in professional football. Opposing teams gameplan for everybody on the other team, even average players. Information like "he's fast, but not very physical, so if you jam him at the line he's in trouble" helps shape game plans even when the receiver in question is only average. You plan around all the guys on the other team, not just the really good ones. The weak points of the other team are just as important in shaping strategy as the strong points of the other guys. You don't think that historically opposing DCs tried to force Favre into throwing Favresque INTs, in addition to trying to limit his out of the world plays? You exploit the bad and you minimize the good, and every NFL team does this with every player on the other team.

Also, if we're talking about "can make game changing plays", well pretty everybody in the league falls into that camp. Any LT can make a pancake block, springing an RB, any RB could hit the right hole and spring a run, even pedestrian receivers occasionally make ridiculous catches, even bad QBs can toss accurately even on difficult throws (I recall T. Jack hitting Troy Williamson in the hands deep downfield on many occasions, it wasn't Jackson's fault his WR couldn't catch a cold), etc.

But yes, Favre is a player the opposing defense schemes around. Rodgers is a player the opposing defense schemes around. Favre can make plays that change the game substantively, Rodgers can make plays that change the game substantively.

One thing I do have to say, though, is that I'm happy the Packers can run the QB sneak again. Watching the Jets run for -2 yards or throw an incomplete deep pass on 3rd and 1 reminds me of things that I do not miss.

ND72
10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

I honestly don't know if D Coordinators ever schemed against Brett. They'd try to put pressure on him, because he was bound to make mistakes....I donno, that's why I'm an Offensive Coordinator I guess, I know how to beat a defense, not create one.

Chevelle2
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
So let me get this straight:

It's OK to discuss before the season whether Thompson et al were morons for not keeping Favre, but its NOT OK to discuss it after the season started and we can examine the performance of the players on the field?

falco
10-27-2008, 06:13 PM
So let me get this straight:

It's OK to discuss before the season whether Thompson et al were morons for not keeping Favre, but its NOT OK to discuss it after the season started and we can examine the performance of the players on the field?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

what is wrong with this thread? this is a message board - people are supposed to debate things... if you don't like it, don't read it

i'm tired of coming here and seeing more posts complaining about things or trying to shut people up than people discussing a topic

MJZiggy
10-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, stop fighting for a second, I have a question. I will preface it by saying that this is an actual question, not a judgment, criticism, praise or anything more than a question so don't get all on the defensive. In 16 years, I've missed seeing Favre play for the Packers once (my kid did have the good manners to be born in the offseason you know). I haven't really watched more than bits and pieces of the Jets game and I have read that some suspect Favre's been hiding an injury. I was watching when Favre made that TD pass to whoever caught it, and they kept showing replays of the throw and his throwing motion didn't look the same to me. The follow through looked a little different than it always has. Yes, I know the ball went where it was supposed to--I'm not questioning the result. Did it look different to anyone else?

Zool
10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally, I think the term "game changer" is one of the most overused cliches in professional football.

My vote goes to "playmaker".

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok, stop fighting for a second, I have a question. I will preface it by saying that this is an actual question, not a judgment, criticism, praise or anything more than a question so don't get all on the defensive. In 16 years, I've missed seeing Favre play for the Packers once (my kid did have the good manners to be born in the offseason you know). I haven't really watched more than bits and pieces of the Jets game and I have read that some suspect Favre's been hiding an injury. I was watching when Favre made that TD pass to whoever caught it, and they kept showing replays of the throw and his throwing motion didn't look the same to me. The follow through looked a little different than it always has. Yes, I know the ball went where it was supposed to--I'm not questioning the result. Did it look different to anyone else?

SEVERAL analysts have noted that favre has been playn with a badly injured throwing shoulder. of corse he's known for playn through pain and not making excuses

NUTHN wrong with this thread or ANY OTHER football-related topic. anyone should be allowed to start pro or anti-favre threads imho; i KNOW i will.....

btw, it makes much sense that the BEST way to compare these two jokers is to compare how they play/win with the same teammates since we have the evidence. will pack be 13-3 and host nfccg...?????? game, set, match

MJZiggy
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
We need a genuflect emoticon.

Isn't that what this little guy is for? :worship:

RashanGary
10-27-2008, 06:53 PM
btw, it makes much sense that the BEST way to compare these two jokers is to compare how they play/win with the same teammates since we have the evidence. will pack be 13-3 and host nfccg...?????? game, set, match

Bottom 10 defense this year. Top 10 defense last year.

Apples to oranges.

MJZiggy
10-27-2008, 06:53 PM

SEVERAL analysts have noted that favre has been playn with a badly injured throwing shoulder. of corse he's known for playn through pain and not making excuses

NUTHN wrong with this thread or ANY OTHER football-related topic. anyone should be allowed to start pro or anti-favre threads imho; i KNOW i will.....

That didn't answer my question. I already said I know of the reports of "hidden injury" (why not just come out and say he's injured like the Packers did? it's not like it makes a difference or anything) I'm asking a specific technical question about his throwing motion.

RashanGary
10-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Rodgers doesn't have the right to be compared to FAvre now. Favre has had a long, great career. That it's even a conversation says a lot about Rodgers. We're lucky, as Packer fans, that we have a 24 year old player that looks kinda good, even when compared to a HOFer who had one of his best seasons ever just a year ago.

As far as TT and MM's decision, I think they made the right one on and off the field. I'm of the opinion that Favre's attitude and arrogance pushed him out the door and TT/MM just stood by their principals as well as the guy they believe in.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM

That didn't answer my question. I already said I know of the reports of "hidden injury" (why not just come out and say he's injured like the Packers did? it's not like it makes a difference or anything) I'm asking a specific technical question about his throwing motion.

it DOES look a lil awkward to me too. esp vs Oak

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Apples to oranges.

practically same personnel with offensive weapons that hav even more experience..

apples to apples really

RashanGary
10-27-2008, 08:13 PM

Apples to oranges.

practically same personnel with offensive weapons that hav even more experience..

apples to apples really

Bottom 10 defense vs top 10. Not close.

Cheesehead Craig
10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Favre is a game changer, he instills fear into opposing defensive coordinators trying to game plan against him, and his presence opens up other aspects of the offense.
Defenses plan that they need to be ready at any time for the bonehead throw and get the INT. It was well known that Favre would give the opposing defenses about 3 chances/game for an INT. If that's what you mean by game changer, then yes Favre was one.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Defenses plan that they need to be ready at any time for the bonehead throw and get the INT. It was well known that Favre would give the opposing defenses about 3 chances/game for an INT. If that's what you mean by game changer, then yes Favre was one.

ok, rodgers IS better...u happy??

Guiness
10-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Mmm, I've only seen highlights of him from this season (been meaning to catch a game, but I'm overseas, and getting my hands on the Pack game is enough of a chore) so I can't comment.

I'll raise another possibility though. If his throwing motion has changed, could it be because he's a little tentative not being as familiar with the system? Did his motion change when McCarthy came in and made his changes? Could it be a bit of a lack of confidence in his new LT? There could be other reasons for a changed motion.

MJZiggy
10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't know. It seems like he's releasing higher and it's not his normal follow-through. Or it's my imagination.

Anyone know if changing systems changes your follow-through?

PackerTimer
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Apples to oranges.

apples to apples really

When did football become solely an offensive game?

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know. It seems like he's releasing higher and it's not his normal follow-through. Or it's my imagination.

His follow through changes on all sorts of different throws. I didn't see any consistent change in his release, although I actually saw more sidearm releases. I did see some really weak throws at times. I would say his arm strength is diminished for whatever reason.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Apples to oranges.

apples to apples really

When did football become solely an offensive game?

can the qb effect the defense?

Zool
10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
can the qb effect the defense?

Wouldnt you think that a lack of D would effect how an O was executed?

PlantPage55
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM

So I guess Aaron Rodgers tying Brett's Packer record for 6 straight games with a pass over 40 yards doesn't show any "playmaking" ability.

I guess Aaron is stuck with the "Trent Dilfer" label for the rest of his career, because he won't do crazy reckless shit like Favre.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 10:05 PM

So I guess Aaron Rodgers tying Brett's Packer record for 6 straight games with a pass over 40 yards doesn't show any "playmaking" ability.

I guess Aaron is stuck with the "Trent Dilfer" label for the rest of his career, because he won't do crazy reckless shit like Favre.

THREE MVP'S....

Guiness
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM

I assume you're being facetious. No, of course changing systems doesn't change your follow through. But being tentative, unsure, or hearing footsteps certainly does.

I think BF would be well past those sorts of problems, but after 16yrs in one location, I just can't see how 7 weeks into the season, he could be as comfortable there as he was here.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
THREE MVP'S....

It's not 1997 anymore.

Pacopete4
10-27-2008, 10:10 PM
THREE MVP'S....

It's not 1997 anymore.

MVP runner up... 2008

Chevelle2
10-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Yeah. I already did that, dumbass.

Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.

MadtownPacker
10-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.I dont see anywhere that Mobb called you a dumbass or anything else. Do you?

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.

I'd say Favre 07 > Rodgers 08
I'd say Rodgers 08 > Favre 08

That second one is the only one that is pertinent.

Zool
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
THREE MVP'S....

It's not 1997 anymore.

MVP runner up... 2008

Isnt being psychic awesome?

MadtownPacker
Favre can still win games. He still can sling it. He damn sure wouldn't have held this year's team back.With that said I have to now agree Rodgers has reached the point where him and Favre's skills have met. Rodgers will go up to whatever his limit is. Favre will only fade more as time goes on. ARod will need to do what he is doing for a long time but he does have what it takes.

HarveyWallbangers
Favre can still win games. He still can sling it. He damn sure wouldn't have held this year's team back.With that said I have to now agree Rodgers has reached the point where him and Favre's skills have met. Rodgers will go up to whatever his limit is. Favre will only fade more as time goes on. ARod will need to do what he is doing for a long time but he does have what it takes.

Welcome aboard, pendejo.

Pacopete4
10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
THREE MVP'S....

It's not 1997 anymore.

MVP runner up... 2008

Isnt being psychic awesome?

Harvs point to posting that was to show he hasnt been at that level since 1997.. well only a year ago he was tearin the league up like a 25 yr old kid... the guy still have lots of game in him, I wouldn't count him out this season.. it should be a fun side race to the end with the Packers and Jets because you know everyone is keeping track..

MadtownPacker
10-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Welcome aboard, pendejo.I have never doubted Rodgers skill set. Any opinion about the Favre mess had nothing to do with Rodgers and I even called him the only victim in all of it. My concern was his durability and he has shown it by playing through the injury.

PlantPage55
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
THREE MVP'S....

Ha ha, completely irrelevant to the argument. Astounding how some can not let go of things that happened 10+ years ago. But I'll play your game...so, Aaron will never be able to get himself a MVP or two? Not possible?

Because do you really want to pull 3 MVPs out on a guy who is in his FIRST YEAR as an NFL starter? What sense does that make?

That doesn't change the fact that Aaron Rodgers appears to be more than a game manager himself. Our defense and run game haven't been playing well enough for him to just "manage" games.

Chevelle2
10-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.

Rodgers' 08 numbers through 7 weeks

>

Favre's 07 numbers through 7 week

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
[quote=MOBB DEEP]

Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.[/quote

ok, name calln on a forum

thats a moronic move if not face-to-face tuffy

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Rodgers 08 > Favre 07.

I'd say Rodgers 08 > Favre 08

That second one is the only one that is pertinent.

shouldnt we wait til the end of the season to compare favre 07 to aaron 08 tho? what if #12 has bad 2nd half?

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
shouldnt we wait til the end of the season to compare favre 07 to aaron 08 tho? what if #12 has bad 2nd half?

Sure, but up to this point Rodgers has been better. Can we agree on that? And that's with Brett going up against Oakland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Miami. Brett's play has dropped off near the end of the year the last three seasons, so we'll see if he can turn that around.

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Sure, but up to this point Rodgers has been better. Can we agree on that? And that's with Brett going up against Oakland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Miami. Brett's play has dropped off near the end of the year the last three seasons, so we'll see if he can turn that around.

It should be noted that GB has defeated teams with 8 wins total.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM

heck yeah, aaron has been better thus far. i think lord had him beat the first 4 games but since then...

question: right now, in a do or die game who would u take?

tuff question right?

Scott Campbell
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM

tuff question

Hmmm - that's a toughie. What's the game temperature?

Zool
10-27-2008, 11:24 PM

It should be noted that GB has defeated teams with 8 wins total.

And the 3 teams they lost to are a combined 14-9.

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 11:29 PM

tuff question

in tampa

LEWCWA
10-27-2008, 11:38 PM

You say this like it means anything! Lets reverse the roles. Brett QBing the Packers and Rodgers shipped to NY 3 weeks b4 the season. Who would have better numbers then.....Don't compare apples and oranges and pretend it means anything.

Chevelle2
10-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Good luck with that.

Everyone knows Favre's play dips in the 2nd half of the season.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
You say this like it means anything! Lets reverse the roles. Brett QBing the Packers and Rodgers shipped to NY 3 weeks b4 the season. Who would have better numbers then.....Don't compare apples and oranges and pretend it means anything.

My guess is that the Jets would have 5 wins and the Packers would have 4.

Scott Campbell
10-27-2008, 11:47 PM

tuff question

in tampa

I'm guessing it wouldn't be 13 below there - right?

MOBB DEEP
10-27-2008, 11:52 PM

GREAT point

which is why i say the best available measure we hav is how far aaron takes what is basically the same team from 07. the favre detractors dont like using that for some reason. i remember several of them sayn pack will fare better with aaron. but once we lost THREE STARIGHT the excuses started flowing...

its about wins and lord favre has the MOST OF ALL TIME...

Lurker64
10-28-2008, 01:26 AM
But it's not about "ALL TIME" it's about the last 9 weeks of 2008, possibly the playoffs, and 2009, 2010, etc.

LP
10-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Does anyone here think that Rodgers shows as much potential after seven career starts as Favre did after his first seven starts?

th87
10-28-2008, 03:37 AM

GREAT point

which is why i say the best available measure we hav is how far aaron takes what is basically the same team from 07. the favre detractors dont like using that for some reason. i remember several of them sayn pack will fare better with aaron. but once we lost THREE STARIGHT the excuses started flowing...

its about wins and lord favre has the MOST OF ALL TIME...

You're smarter than this.

There are a gazillion changing variables from season to season. Examples include injury, schedule, improvement of other teams, team chemistry, age catching up, rhythm, luck, etc.

Why do the Chargers appear to suck this year? Why did the 2001 Bears suddenly fall off the face of the Earth? Why did the 2002 Patriots suck? Maybe Jadakiss knows.

The fact is that these millions of variables were at play. Life and football are a LOT more complex than just replacing one component with another and expecting everything else to somehow be equal.

Maybe with Favre, we'd be 7-0. Maybe he'd somehow throw 15 TDs and no interceptions. Or maybe he'd fall on his face, and we'd be winless. Or maybe he gets injured.

There is simply no way to know. As I said, too many variables.

The only thing we do know? It's that Rodgers is playing extremely well thus far, and has the upside to improve further. Therefore, any debate regarding Favre's performance as a 2008 Packer is utterly useless, and amounts to nothing more than mental masturbation.

pbmax
10-28-2008, 07:38 AM

Zig, I haven't noticed a change in his release or motion, but I did notice that he doesn't have the same zip as in previous years on some throws. I think the JSOnline folks mentioned this as well.

If he has a throwing arm injury, that would explain it, obviously. He didn't have a full offseason workout, and age might be a factor as well. The most logical explanation is that he has taken a hit given the leaky state of the Jets line at times.

But remember the tired and sore arm from training camp, after Mangini had him throwing most of the camp snaps for two days? Mangini came out and said they would work on reducing the load, but that has happened one time before with the Packers, when he had tendonitis in his elbow.

And I always envisioned the genuflect motion to be more of a snap to attention. I could be wrong :lol:

pbmax
10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
I honestly don't know if D Coordinators ever schemed against Brett. They'd try to put pressure on him, because he was bound to make mistakes....I donno, that's why I'm an Offensive Coordinator I guess, I know how to beat a defense, not create one.
I don't know how many Ds played eight in a box regularly vs Favre if the Packers had a capable wide receiver corp. McGinn has three scouts discussing this on JSO. There feeling is that teams aren't yet afraid of Rodgers and will play eight in the box more often.

I call this effect the Derek Loville effect. I think there are exactly two other people in the world who know what that means.

Pugger
10-28-2008, 01:18 PM
The genuflect motion was something you did in a Catholic church - you bend one knee down towards the ground as you cross yourself (I went to St. Joe's Academy in Green Bay...boy, I'm dating myself here! :lol: )

MJZiggy
10-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I call this effect the Derek Loville effect. I think there are exactly two other people in the world who know what that means.

Derek Loville and who?

I'd say they'll put 8 in the box until 2 things happen: Rodgers burns them with the pass or...ok, until Rodgers burns them a few more times.

If Favre had tendonitis would it keep him from fully extending his elbow? Or is that a flexing issue?

Iron Mike
10-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I went to St. Joe's Academy in Green Bay...boy, I'm dating myself here! :lol:

Wasn't that the girls' school on Webster Ave.???

Chevelle2
10-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Does anyone here think that Rodgers shows as much potential after seven career starts as Favre did after his first seven starts?

Rodgers first 7 starts > Favres first 7 starts

Rodgers at 24 > Favre at 24

Rodgers at 24 > Favre at 39

Rodgers 08 through 7 games > Favre 07 through 7 games

Favre alltime > Rodgers alltime

falco
10-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Rodgers first 7 starts > Favres first 7 starts

Rodgers at 24 > Favre at 24

Rodgers at 24 > Favre at 39

Rodgers 08 through 7 games > Favre 07 through 7 games

Favre alltime > Rodgers alltime

i'm not sure i'd agree to all those, but can't say I wouldn't either...too much time between now and then

PackerTimer
10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't think Rodgers will ever be as good as Favre was when he was in his prime. But it really doesn't matter, he doesn't have to be. If he even is 75% (I think he'll be better than that) of the QB Favre was in his prime, he'll be a very good starting QB for a number of years.

This whole Favre Rodgers thing doesn't mean all that much to me. I'm glad the Packers chose to move on. I felt that way this summer and I definitely feel that way now. Combining Favres years his with what Rodgers could bring us and we might have 25+ years of high quality QB play. How many teams can say that?

I don't think we had any better of a chance at the Super Bowl with Favre over Rodgers this year, let alone for the next ten years. There really was no choice this summer. I think the staff knew exactly what they had in AR and now we're all seeing it to.

MOBB DEEP
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't think Rodgers will ever be as good as Favre was when he was in his prime. But it really doesn't matter, he doesn't have to be. If he even is 75% (I think he'll be better than that) of the QB Favre was in his prime, he'll be a very good starting QB for a number of years.

This whole Favre Rodgers thing doesn't mean all that much to me. I'm glad the Packers chose to move on. I felt that way this summer and I definitely feel that way now. Combining Favres years his with what Rodgers could bring us and we might have 25+ years of high quality QB play. How many teams can say that?

I don't think we had any better of a chance at the Super Bowl with Favre over Rodgers this year, let alone for the next ten years. There really was no choice this summer. I think the staff knew exactly what they had in AR and now we're all seeing it to.

good post

gex
10-29-2008, 10:43 AM

good post

2ND

Harlan Huckleby
10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
the packers haven't had many good QBs. Starr. Favre. Lynn Dickey was good for a couple seasons. Many more duds in between. Rodgers is already a keeper.

RashanGary
10-29-2008, 03:01 PM

3rd, but I think he can be 85% and is better than Favre now.

Pugger
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I went to St. Joe's Academy in Green Bay...boy, I'm dating myself here! :lol:

Wasn't that the girls' school on Webster Ave.???

Yup! However it, along with Abbot Pennings in DePere, merged with Premontre and now the only Catholic high school in GB is Notre Dame occupying the Premontre HS complex on the west side of town.