PDA

View Full Version : Longer season

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
There have been several articles in the papers the last couple days about Goodell wanting an 18-game season. Here's one:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/24/goodell.season.ap/index.html

This pisses me off. 11 may be better than 10 when it comes to guitar amps, but 18 is not better than 16 with football games. Its just screwing the fans, milking more money for a thinned-out product. I know its coming, they would play 30 games if they could get away with it, and probably will some day.

Pro baseball and especially basketball are already ruined by forcing the athletes to play a ridiculous number of games, the product is way diluted. One cool thing about football has always been the quality and intensity of a 16 game season.

Remember it used to be 12 games, that was probably even better. Injuries already control about 33% of any teams annual fortunes, more games just means more beaten-down players.

Noodle
10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm with you, Blue Dog. No way this is good for players. You know, the guys who go out there and kill themselves every week.

This only benefits owners. You know, the guys who . . . well, what the hell do they do, anyway? We seem to do ok without some multi-zillionaire asshat running the show.

Keep it at 16, and while you're at it, get rid of at least one preseason game. With the NFL, less is certainly more.

BallHawk
10-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Completely stupid idea. It's all about money. The NFL is already doing better then it has ever done, why mix with the formula.

Also, question for those in the know: Would the NFLPA be involved in the decision making to change the schedule? Would they have to sign off on this?

BallHawk
10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro baseball and especially basketball are already ruined by forcing the athletes to play a ridiculous number of games, the product is way diluted

I'd have to disagree on this. In Baseball the athlete is sitting or standing most of the time. The physical effects of baseball on a non-pitcher player cannot even be compared to smashing your body into 300 pound lineman play after play.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro baseball and especially basketball are already ruined by forcing the athletes to play a ridiculous number of games, the product is way diluted

I'd have to disagree on this. In Baseball the athlete is sitting or standing most of the time. The physical effects of baseball on a non-pitcher player cannot even be compared to smashing your body into 300 pound lineman play after play.

I consider baseball a leisure time activity rather than a sport. Like croquette or checkers. Only kidding, but from a physical standpoint, I suppose they probably could keep playing baseball continuously, year round. But even so, I think the baseball season drags on too long from a fan intersest stand point.

Baseball is a summer game. This "Mr. October" crap is for the birds.

Basketball and hockey playoffs in June is stupid.

Football is the only sport left that sorta sticks to a reasonable season.

BallHawk
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I consider baseball a leisure time activity rather than a sport. Like croquette or checkers. Only kidding, but from a physical standpoint, I suppose they probably could keep playing baseball continuously, year round. But even so, I think the baseball season drags on too long from a fan intersest stand point.

I agree that Basketball drags on forever, especially the playoffs. But I just find NBA basketball to be me-me-me the whole season. NCAA Hoops and the Final Four are way above the NBA.

Can't speak for Hockey. Never had a franchise in Wisconsin so I never got into it.

Baseball can be a love-it or hate-it type of sport. I think most casual fans find that 162 or 82 games is way too many and they lose interest and only watch in April and September/October. I also understand that a lot of people left the sport during the strike and never returned. Personally, I find baseball interesting throughout the season, even though a game in June or July doesn't have the intensity that other sports might have.

I agree the NFL consistently puts out an intense and entertaining product week after week. Football just takes the cake in meaningful games because you have 16, not 162. It's relatively easy to sit down and watch two teams you're impartial to compared to sitting down and watching two teams you're impartial to in the MLB or NBA.

Football is intense, but I still get an equal thrill from watching the Crew take on a division rival in the 9th inning in a close game.

mraynrand
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I love the idea of an 18 game season with only two preseason games. But I'm not out there getting decleated every week either. Football players get the shit kicked out of them every week and there are a hell of a lot of injuries. My counter offer is two less preseason games. I'm sure the commish will listen to me.

falco
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM

I agree that Basketball drags on forever, especially the playoffs. But I just find NBA basketball to be me-me-me the whole season. NCAA Hoops and the Final Four are way above the NBA.

Can't speak for Hockey. Never had a franchise in Wisconsin so I never got into it.

Baseball can be a love-it or hate-it type of sport. I think most casual fans find that 162 or 82 games is way too many and they lose interest and only watch in April and September/October. I also understand that a lot of people left the sport during the strike and never returned. Personally, I find baseball interesting throughout the season, even though a game in June or July doesn't have the intensity that other sports might have.

I agree the NFL consistently puts out an intense and entertaining product week after week. Football just takes the cake in meaningful games because you have 16, not 162. It's relatively easy to sit down and watch two teams you're impartial to compared to sitting down and watching two teams you're impartial to in the MLB or NBA.

Football is intense, but I still get an equal thrill from watching the Crew take on a division rival in the 9th inning in a close game.

i enjoyed reading your post - i wished i felt the same way. IMHO, football puts out an immensely better product. bottom line is just as you said - too many games in baseball. in baseball, i enjoy more following the individual pennant races than watching individual games, since each one carries so little weight

3irty1
10-26-2008, 11:10 PM
The baseball season is not too long.

In baseball upsets are much more common than in football. The best teams in the league go .600. You need a lot of games to determine who's better. Also the everyday nature of baseball leads to a better product.

I agree though that football has the perfect number of games.

Partial
10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Baseball season is far too long. They could learn everything they learn from 90 games, or 3 months of daily play.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2008, 11:18 PM
For me, the baseball season opens on the allstar game, and closes the first day of packer training camp. That three weeks is more than enough for me.

I think baseball is a great game to play. "baseball" meaning softball, I suppose.

BallHawk
10-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Baseball season is far too long. They could learn everything they learn from 90 games, or 3 months of daily play.

Your theory would stand firm if it wasn't for the New York Mets.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2008, 11:25 PM
I really am not in favor of reducing the number of preseason football games. I actually enjoy preseason football, it is a fun game guessing who will make the roster. And every year, it seems the GMs really need that game exposure to make their cuts. How would we know about Brohm & Flynn without 4 games?

If they want to go from 4 to 3 preseason games, I suppose I could live with that.

3irty1
10-26-2008, 11:29 PM

Not at all.

3irty1
10-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I really am not in favor of reducing the number of preseason football games. I actually enjoy preseason football, it is a fun game guessing who will make the roster. And every year, it seems the GMs really need that game exposure to make their cuts. How would we know about Brohm & Flynn without 4 games?

If they want to go from 4 to 3 preseason games, I suppose I could live with that.

Agree. I like 4. As much as the players don't like it, it does seem to do a good job of knocking the rust off. Guys who miss it are at a disadvantage.

Noodle
10-26-2008, 11:36 PM
I understand the reason for 4 preason games, but I also know the regular players hate it, and it just kills me when you have a star, who was at no risk of losing a starting job, knocked out for a number of games or the season due to an injury. So I could go with 3 and could also live without seeing the big dogs playing much in any of them.

For baseball fans, like me, 162 works. Continuity of records and stats is important in America's past-time, and I think the length of the season encourages bringing guys up for a look. I could also go back to the pre-1961 tradition of playing 154, but fat chance in hell of that happening.

Basketball preseason is probably the dumbest thing in the world. It really is nothing but a cash cow and doesn't do a thing for getting a team ready for the season.

Freak Out
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Why in the fuck can't MLB schedule a World Series game for sometime before 8 PM eastern time anymore? Play a day game you fucks! When did the game end Saturday night? 2 AM eastern?

Partial
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM

Not at all.

I'm convinced.

Partial
10-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Any team sport has value in preseason. Baseball is a sport of individual accomplishments so I don't see the value in the preseason for that.

Basketball and football depend on teams getting on the same page and in rhythm since they're working as a team or failing as individuals.

Freak Out
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Why in the fuck can't MLB schedule a World Series game for sometime before 8 PM eastern time anymore? Play a day game you fucks! When did the game end Saturday night? 2 AM eastern?

Sorry......should have put this in the Brewers thread.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2008, 11:53 PM
I like 16 games in the NFL. Preseason could be cut down 1, but that won't happen without adding regular season games. Perfect symmetry. 32 teams in the league, 16 per conference, 4 per division, 16 games makes for easy scheduling.

I also like 162 for baseball.

BallHawk
10-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Any team sport has value in preseason. Baseball is a sport of individual accomplishments so I don't see the value in the preseason for that..

Spring Training in baseball serves multiple purposes:

1. See what the minor leaguers and new kids have in them.

2. Pitchers will work on certain pitches. A pitcher may give up 5 runs in an inning, but he'll be working solely on his curveball or something like that. No different than a QB working on a new throwing motion in preseason.

3. Pitchers and catchers improving coordination and familiarity with each other. For example, Jason Kendall had to spend Spring Training working out signs and pitches with all of the Brewers pitching staff.

4. Some roster spots are decided by ST. Maybe not the way preseason decides who is the starting QB or something like that, but bullpen spots and lower end rotation spots can be decided in ST.

So, yeah, it's important.

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Most importantly, pitchers need Spring Training to build up arm strength. Spring Training is very important to them.

Partial
10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Spring Training != preseason games :D

I definitely see the value in training camp for every sport.

wpony
10-27-2008, 12:27 AM
They should leave it alone or go back to 14 the early part of preseason is not for the vets as much is it is for the rookies they could have it where the vets would not even report for the 1st 2 weeks unless the were injured and need rehab. we need the preseason to develop the rookies the owners do not need to keep sqeezing the fans for every penny they have and they young people need time and coaching to devolpe.

Zool
10-27-2008, 07:30 AM

NFL plays 4-5 preseason games. Thats 25% of the amount of regular season games. Essentially thats like a baseball team playing 40+ spring training games.

Shorten the NFL pre-season. The last 2 games are a joke anyways. Its guys who are going to get cut taking up space to other guys dont get hurt.

GBRulz
10-27-2008, 08:05 AM

NFL plays 4-5 preseason games. Thats 25% of the amount of regular season games. Essentially thats like a baseball team playing 40+ spring training games.

Shorten the NFL pre-season. The last 2 games are a joke anyways. Its guys who are going to get cut taking up space to other guys dont get hurt.

That's a very good point. I know a long time ago, I did calculations on how many pre-season games that would amount to for BB, hockey and baseball. Don't remember exactly, but I think the percentile was around 10-12% vs the NFL's 25%.

The NFL has already been trying to lengthen the season. You never saw a SB being played in Feb before.

I say keep the season at 16, take away 1 pre-season game and take away the Pro Bowl. The PB is important to players for one reason...which is to call themselves a pro-bowler when it comes to contract negotiation time.

IMO, more NFL games are going to amount to more games that you have to "pay" for in order to see, as well. More games exclusive to NFLN, ESPN, etc. What's next, NFL on PPV?

GBRulz
10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Let me ask you guys this in another angle about pre-season games. IF they implemented a rookie salary cap, do you find that pre-season games would be as important? These teams have huge investments in these rookies, many of whom will make more money as a 3rd round pick than some vets see in their entire career. With that being said, teams see it even more important to rush these rooks through camp and get them ready, simply because they have mucho denero invested in them.

Noodle
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I agree with GB about ditching the PB. Of the major sports, it's the only all-star game played after the season is over, no one is watching at that point, and football does not lend itself well at all to all-star type formats.

Interesting point about the effect a rook cap would have on the need for preseason. I think the need for 3 or so preseason games is a function of the 53-man roster more than anything else.

Fosco33
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd be fine with an 18 game schedule if they cut a few preseason games and added a bye week (and started the season before labor day). I think we could even debate the wild card and extra week before the Superbowl.

It's not about money to me and the length of the season would be the same. Sure, guys play harder in games - but injuries can happen anytime (practice, etc).

I don't think it dilutes the product either - a slightly longer season would ensure more cross-division or cross-conference games (opening up to teams we don't see play the Pack but every few years).

Plus, a slightly longer season will truly show the best teams rise to the challenge (by allowing all teams some time to make up for bad starts).

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 12:07 PM
They should leave it alone or go back to 14

I like the idea! Bring back the single-bar face masks, too.

To fight this, we might have to suggest going to 12, so the compromise is to keep it as 16. I thought the pros used to play 12 games, but maybe it was 14.

I don't see how the NFL can be stopped from lengthening the season. It sucks, but nothing to do about it.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd be fine with an 18 game schedule if they cut a few preseason games and added a bye week (and started the season before labor day).

ITs against nature to play meaningful football games in August.

Preseason games are just right for summer time, it allows people just to pay a little attention.

Putting the opening games in summer will make it less dramatic. The start of the football season should coincide with the other changes happening in the fall.

Shit, you open the door, and next thing you know opening day will be on the 4th of July. Stop the bastards!

Fritz
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Dag-nabbit. D-a-g nabbit, back when I'ze a kid we never had no 16 game season. The players was men back then - one bar across yer helmet, and two if you wuz a lineman or a linebacker.

14 games, by golly! If you cain't tell who's good and who ain't after 14 games, then you'll never know.

You think the Lions or the Chiefs could prove themselves better if they had more games?

Dont' be a-messin with this game any more. Dag nabbit.