PDA

View Full Version : What is the "Official Rats Position" on "Lion

sheepshead
10-27-2008, 08:04 AM
gate"

Since it will never be proven or disproven.

KYPack
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
I think it passes quickly into the mists of time. For instance, when I opened the thread, I had to think what Liongate was.

Brett's a little goofy and likes to ramble sometimes. It happened when he was talking to Matt Millen, who no longer works for the Lions. That's enough for me, I'll tell ya.

oregonpackfan
10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I agree with KY. Brett was showed poor judgment one this one. Like most people, he got into trouble more for what he said, rather than just keeping quiet.

I still believe the quality of the entire episode belonged in the type of magazines sold by the grocery store checkout counters. :roll:

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 09:24 AM
If this is all there is to the 'Brett talking to other teams' 'scandal, then it is nothing.

sheepshead
10-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree no proof no issue.

Deputy Nutz
10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I love Lions, in fact the second to last time I took the kids to the zoo, we went to see the big cats. The male lion felt a little frisky and tried to mount the female lion, it was awesome, my daughter yelled, "Their Wrestling!!!"

Partial
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I love Lions, in fact the second to last time I took the kids to the zoo, we went to see the big cats. The male lion felt a little frisky and tried to mount the female lion, it was awesome, my daughter yelled, "Their Wrestling!!!"

:lol: nice

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 11:57 AM
It did some damage to Favre's reputation. But not a big deal.

Which option should I check?

The poll is designed with only one option unfavorable to Favre, and so severe that nobody will check it. (well, I just checked it to protest this ridiculously cooked poll :lol: ) But actually, I mostly think Favre got screwed in the coverage.

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 11:59 AM

yes, and you designed a poll to reenforce your view. :lol: I agree with your view about 90%, but Favre exercised some bad judgment and was left with a small black mark.

sheepshead
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM

yes, and you designed a poll to reenforce your view. :lol: I agree with your view about 90%, but Favre exercised some bad judgment and was left with a small black mark.

Difficult to say exactly what was said and exactly the information Millen used against the Pack if at all. Thats all I'm saying. I was as sick as anyone when this first came out. I just figure weve had several days to mull it over and I dont expect any new information on the subject.

Jimx29
10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
this has been going on ever since the dawn of free agency. a non-issue except for the favre haters

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
this has been going on ever since the dawn of free agency. a non-issue except for the favre haters

you have to be a Favre hater to question Favre's judgement here?

How broad minded of you.

pbmax
10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I like their films. Lionsgate, that is, not lion "wrestling" videos.

LP
10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm sure it will all blow over in time.

I'm also sure that after the "it's all rumor" and "it's BS" statements, I'll never believe another thing he says without confirmation from at least half a dozen independent, uninvolved, and uninterested sources.

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
It did some damage to Favre's reputation. But not a big deal.

Which option should I check?

The poll is designed with only one option unfavorable to Favre, and so severe that nobody will check it. (well, I just checked it to protest this ridiculously cooked poll :lol: ) But actually, I mostly think Favre got screwed in the coverage.

I feel like I got screwed too. It was supposed to be this huge deal with multiple teams and Favre actively pursuing teams and giving them info. It turned out (if it's over) to be a hunting call with some football tossed in between a doomed GM and a doomed old QB - that clearly did not help the Lions. I want my records back!!!!!!
https://www8.georgetown.edu/centers/cndls/applications/posterTool/data/users/Sam%20Kinison.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
It turned out (if it's over) to be a hunting call with some football tossed in between a doomed GM and a doomed old QB - that clearly did not help the Lions.

This is not what it turned out to be. This is how Favre and his apologists spun it. Favre is no more credible than Glazer and Wilde's sources, and those two guys are standing by their interpretation.

For sure the Lions were interested in what Favre had to say about the Packers. And some people are upset that Favre engaged in such a conversation at all. Some sources have said that the info Favre provided was significant, and passed directly (perhaps they were listening) to the coaches.

I've given Favre a pass on this incident since there's a decent chance that his version of events is mostly true. But it is false to say that it turned-out to be an innocent conversation.

Gunakor
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Players giving insight into thier former teams to thier current teams has been going on since the dawn of free agency. I don't think it's very common for players to be giving insight into thier former teams to a GM of a team said player has never played for.

Let me reinforce this thought: If Favre were to give the Jets advice on how to beat the Packers, there is no problem at all. Matt Millen is not the GM of the Jets, and there lies the problem I have. Favre wasn't giving insight to Millen to give the Jets a better chance of victory or a better chance at the playoffs. Had the Lions won using whatever advice Brett gave, the Jets would be no better off for it. Neither would Favre personally.

Suppose Favre's motive was to "get back" at Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy, 2 people within the Packers organization that Favre feels he's been wronged by. Months after the fact, and after the saga that was July and August 2008, I feel that any further vengence against either side by the other is petty and unnecessary. But in putting myself in Favre's shoes, I'd at least have the sense to realize that any action I'd take that would or could hurt the team in the W-L column would hurt many more people than just the 2 people I hold ill will twoard. My friends, such as Donald Driver and Mark Taucher and Chad Clifton and such, would be hurt just as badly as Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy would be. That IMO cannot be justified.

Now maybe that wasn't his intention. And I don't claim to know exactly what was said, just that something Packers related was said. I know that much because after it had been reported, neither Favre nor the Lions disputed that report. All that has come out of Favre's camp is that something was said, but it's nothing that couldn't be learned from watching film and thus is no big deal. That much could be and probably is true, but that's not what got me angry. It's principle. Going back to my second paragraph of this post, it's not what was said that has me upset but rather WHO it was said to.

The issue then isn't what, but rather who. And that's only a non-issue to those who support Favre over the Green Bay Packers.

cheesner
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Trick question.

There will never be an 'official' viewpoint.

In the end there is little objectivity in these forums from many posters.

The pro-favre crowd will be pro favre no matter what he does. If he picks up an axe and wipes out a dozen orphans, they will comment on athletically he swung the axe and AR could never chop heads like that. TT is a fool who broke Brett's heart causing him to act like that.

The Middle of the Road fans still love and respect Brett the player and separate his professional football life from his personal life.

The Anti-Favres (JH) will still hate Favre.

The rest of the posters, or the 'I-will-judge-Favre-based-on-who-he-is-and-what-he-does-now-and-not-how-great-of-a-player-he-was will give a perhaps an honest answer. But most of us waver between at least 2 or 3 of these categories.

Zool
10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
If he picks up an axe and wipes out a dozen orphans, they will comment on athletically he swung the axe and AR could never chop heads like that.

Brett is Darth Vader?

mraynrand
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
But it is false to say that it turned-out to be an innocent conversation.

that's not what I wrote. But unless there's more evidence, it looks like Millen called up to talk hunting and they also talked football (Does anyone know for certain any more than this?). And regardless of how much Favre gave him (which as far as I can determine, we don't know), it didn't help. IF Favre had called up a numbers of Packer opponents (lik the Bucs) and had helped multiple teams, it would be much bigger. Do you have any evidence he called other teams? Do you know how much he told Millen?

DonHutson
10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I was irritated with Favre's handling of his comeback, but this is much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Brett's explanation seems like the most plausible answer. Who knows who Glazer's contacts are, but I can see the story getting bigger each time it's passed down the line to the point that some low level Lions functionary thinks Favre wrote the game plan.

I also think Glazer was trying to make a big splash because he wants to be John Clayton or Chris Mortenson when he grows up. At least he scooped the guy from the Biloxi Herald on a Favre story.

Pugger
10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I doubt anything Brett had to say to the Loins was anything they didn't already know, but if he gave the loins any info on the Pack it isn't very sportsmanlike to say the least! But I'd love to know who the source was that leaked this story in the first place and what their motive was. There is no other way Glazer would've found out about this little conversation. Somebody over in Detroit wanted Brett to look petty and vengeful. :?

Zool
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Hmm...all these posts and no position suggestions. I'm going to say doggy.

Freak Out
10-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Full on Bonobo style.

http://scienceblogs.com/bushwells/bonobo.jpg

KYPack
10-27-2008, 06:55 PM

You like it puppy fshion, eh Zool?

gex
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
It really did turn out to be just a phone call, but again all the Haters jumped right in and accused Favre of giving every team we play for the next 5-10 years our game plan and the layout of the lockerroom and TT's dungeon space. 8-)