PDA

View Full Version : Go Texans

Dr. Spanky
06-26-2006, 11:51 PM
I am a huge Texans fan and all I can say is thank you to Mr. Thompson for giving us Mike Sherman. Damn I don't know how we got so lucky. I mean he is head coach material.

Trust me I wasn't all that happy when we took Mario Williams, I wanted Reggie Bush.

We got a long way to go to make the playoffs, but Carr is the next Brett Favre. Carr has his whole career a head of him. He is ready to go baby!!!

Sherman is going to come up big baby!!!!

Once again thanks to all you fans of the Packers that forced Ted Thompson's hand in firing Sherman. Playoffs baby!!!

Partial
06-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Go you! :cool:

SD GB fan
06-27-2006, 12:04 AM
hooray..
well he was a good coach. good regular season records, but didnt cut it in playoffs. just dun let him sneak into ur front office tho.

OS PA
06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
I was kind of sad to see Sherman go, considering how he kept the team motivated to go out and play their hearts out every Sunday.

He was not a bad coach at all, just got into the wrong situation.

One thing he will bring to Houston is an amazing offensive mind. He should be able to develop Carr into a solid quarterback, and should be able to get your passing game off the back of your running backs. Your offseason was a pretty damned good one, even with the confusion over Mario and Bush.

Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson should be able to add a passing attack.

Mike Flanagan, Eric Winston, and Charles Spencer are definitely upgrades over your current line, and you already have a star Running Back.

Mario Williams will be all he was cracked up to, and DeMeco Ryans is an upgrade over any of your other starters!

I'm excited for your team to finally get out of the bottom of the NFL and make a run at something!

Harlan Huckleby
06-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Sherm is a class guy.

Bossman641
06-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Tank?

Sherman is a class act all the way. I always respected him.

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Saying that Carr is the next Favre is like saying that Aaron Kampman is the next Reggie White, its fun to say but just sounds stupid.

Bretsky
06-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Dr Spanky can't be for real, can he ? As far as I'm concerned, he can have Shermy. Good guy, but an average coach who utilized Brett Favre and the talent Ron Wolf surrounded him with until his cup ran dry due to his own GM skills.

Partial
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Sherman would be a great GM. I think the Texans are looking on the up and up since they're pretty young and have a great running back, receiver, and potentially quarterback combo.

I think passing on Bush was a big time mistake. Not only for the skills he brings, but for the revenue he'd generate and the interest he'd renew into that franchise. Hopefully, Mario turns into a Julius Peppers without the baggage and maybe he'll do the same thing.

EDIT - Sherman would be a great offensive coordinator, not a gm. Got confused while working on something else while typing and not looking at my message.

Bretsky
06-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Sherman would be a great GM. I think the Texans are looking on the up and up since they're pretty young and have a great running back, receiver, and potentially quarterback combo.

I think passing on Bush was a big time mistake. Not only for the skills he brings, but for the revenue he'd generate and the interest he'd renew into that franchise. Hopefully, Mario turns into a Julius Peppers without the baggage and maybe he'll do the same thing.

HA ? Sherman would be a great GM ??????

Crap; gotta go to work; but that phrase greatly surprised me.

Partial
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah B it was a typo/confusion. I meant offensive coordinator. I was entering some information at work while typing that up and must have gotten confused.

He doesn't have the stones to be a truly great head coach, but he is quite skilled in preparing his players. I'd imagine when the pressure is on the actual head coach and not so much him, he'd get more creative with his play calling as well.

Noodle
06-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Yeah B it was a typo/confusion. I meant offensive coordinator. I was entering some information at work while typing that up and must have gotten confused.

What I'm really worried about now is what kind of information you entered at work while you were distracted by your PR post.

You don't work at a nuclear reactor or a missile silo, do you Partial? Should I pack a bag?

Partial
06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Nah, just an intern doing some data entry

Pack0514
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Sherm is a class guy.

I actually liked Sherman. I didnt agree with some of his GM moves but I thought he kept a very tight locker room. I know many will disagree, but I think he is a good coach. From what I hear, the people of Green Bay loved him.

Harlan Huckleby
06-27-2006, 10:11 AM
absence makes the heart grow fonder

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Sherman had horrible clock managment and that is why we lost most of our games. That and Ryan Shortwell.

Harlan Huckleby
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
That and Ryan Shortwell.

Now this is a truly bizarre acussation!

Shortwell had some misses in 2005, but he has been a hell of an accurate kicker.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
What are you talking about? Did you watch any of therre games last year? Many of them were loses by a fieldgoal or so. I would have rather seen a loss in overtime than a missed field goal in the last seconds.

Partial
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
He's one of the top 5 most accurate kickers of all time!!

Merlin
06-27-2006, 12:25 PM
The only big knock I have on Mike Sherman is that his offense was predictable. 4 years ago it wasn't, but he never made adjustments based on the talent he had and it got vanilla really quick. I think if Sherman and Bates were still here, the Packers would be contending this year as long as he got a better offensive coordinator and went to a more conventional WCO.

Personally, it's Ted Thompson I don't like. It's obvious that all Thompson wants to do is replace everyone with "his guys". Say what you will about the draft and whatever with the cap and all of that. Thompson did nothing, I repeat nothing last year when the injuries hit (or prior to that) and we had money. Not enough to keep Whale and Rivera but enough to keep one of them. I think the signing of Woodson was a mistake because they guy is Darren Sharper II. Sure, he will make some plays, but not enough to warrant $625,000 a game! He didn't show up for any OTA's, in fact, has he even been in Green Bay since he was signed???? We should have gone hard at Viniteri, at least he is as consistent as they come and he SCORES POINTS. I wouldn't have minded over paying for a kicker. Now we have a questionable and oft injured POTENTIAL probowl CB and no kicker to speak of. So while we are busy not giving up points on defense we better hope we score a TD every drive in the red zone....

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Well Shortwell still sucks, and like you said Shermans offense is to predictable.

PS: We don't have to deal with longwell anymore because he is a viqueen. Stupid bastards.

Partial
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
How does a top-5 most accurate kicker of all time suck? Do you think your arguments through or just post factless opinions?

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Alright he may be acurate within 30 yards but anyhting out of that he sucks. He has no no range anymore and is way over paid. Think that through mister administrator.

Bossman641
06-27-2006, 12:54 PM
All I know is I'd rather have Longwell than Cundiff or Rayner.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Alright he may be acurate within 30 yards but anyhting out of that he sucks. He has no no range anymore and is way over paid. Think that through mister administrator.

You do watch the games right? What is your analysis of the current Packers kickers?

BlueBrewer
06-27-2006, 02:14 PM

I agree with you, why don't we sign Edinger? He has to be better than Cundiff.

Patler
06-27-2006, 02:28 PM

Perhaps you want to rethink that comment. In 2005 he was 4/5 from beyond 50 yards. I think his range is fine on fieldgoals.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 02:30 PM

I agree with you, why don't we sign Edinger? He has to be better than Cundiff.

I was surprised Edinger did as well as he did last year....he did make a few clutch kicks. I think it was Harvey that pointed out he's not the best cold weather kicker but hell, he did ok in GB last year and he did play in Chicago for years.

Travbrew
06-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah but isn't Edinger the dude who stands all crooked before the kick? I hate watching that. I always get a kink in my neck trying to "balance out" the screen in comparison to his stance. I don't think I could have made it through an entire season watching him.

Rastak
06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah but isn't Edinger the dude who stands all crooked before the kick? I hate watching that. I always get a kink in my neck trying to "balance out" the screen in comparison to his stance. I don't think I could have made it through an entire season watching him.

Yea, it friggen weird that's for sure.

Tony Oday
06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Longwell needed to go. He was accurate but did miss easy ones that cost games last year and also every time he missed he bitched about the hold. F that take some credit for your mistakes. But what the hell, a kicker is a kicker is a kicker just hope they can do their jobs :) If not lookout we could lose a lot more close games this year.

Zool
06-27-2006, 03:10 PM
The only big knock I have on Mike Sherman is that his offense was predictable. 4 years ago it wasn't, but he never made adjustments based on the talent he had and it got vanilla really quick. I think if Sherman and Bates were still here, the Packers would be contending this year as long as he got a better offensive coordinator and went to a more conventional WCO.

Personally, it's Ted Thompson I don't like. It's obvious that all Thompson wants to do is replace everyone with "his guys". Say what you will about the draft and whatever with the cap and all of that. Thompson did nothing, I repeat nothing last year when the injuries hit (or prior to that) and we had money. Not enough to keep Whale and Rivera but enough to keep one of them. I think the signing of Woodson was a mistake because they guy is Darren Sharper II. Sure, he will make some plays, but not enough to warrant $625,000 a game! He didn't show up for any OTA's, in fact, has he even been in Green Bay since he was signed???? We should have gone hard at Viniteri, at least he is as consistent as they come and he SCORES POINTS. I wouldn't have minded over paying for a kicker. Now we have a questionable and oft injured POTENTIAL probowl CB and no kicker to speak of. So while we are busy not giving up points on defense we better hope we score a TD every drive in the red zone....

Woodson has been at every required Packers session since signed. The OTA's are mandatory. He should have been there I agree, just pointing to your question of has he even been in Green Bay.

http://images.packers.com/images/headshots/woodson_charles.jpg

KYPack
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Woodson has been at every required Packers session since signed. The OTA's are mandatory. He should have been there I agree, just pointing to your question of has he even been in Green Bay.

Ah,

That's "voluntary".

Mandatory means you like, have to be there.

BallHawk
06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
wausaupackerpro42, how old are you?

Joemailman
06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Dr Spanky can't be for real, can he ? As far as I'm concerned, he can have Shermy. Good guy, but an average coach who utilized Brett Favre and the talent Ron Wolf surrounded him with until his cup ran dry due to his own GM skills.

Dr. Spanky rhymes with Tank(y)

esoxx
06-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Tank also used to post as Dr. John Holmes. It's gotta be tank. The odds of a Texan fan AND a Mike Sherman fan posting on a Packer board are astronomical. However, it would be pretty funny having a Texan Troll on the board.

MadtownPacker
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
The only reason I hate longwell is because of the team he plays for otherwise I would want him back in a heartbeat.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Why does it matter how old I am?

BallHawk
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Why does it matter how old I am?

I'm curious, because the way you write and they way you express your opinions when the stats totally prove you wrong is childish. As in the Chad Jackson thread, how you repeatdly state your point without giving statistics to back it up. And in this thread you say how Longwell is bad from long range, when he was 4/5 from 50+ yards out. Longwell is the Packer's all-time leading scorer, and you're implying that we're better off with Cundiff? That shows your sour over him signing with the Vikings, and forgetting what he did for this franchise, which is a childish trait. Also you seem to be high on namecalling. That and the South Park avatar. I would put your age at 12-15, more around 12. Am I correct?

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm actually 15 so nice guess. I guess I can see where you're coming from when you say that I don't back any of my stuff up with stats, but in this I think the packers are better off getting rid of him because he was getting pretty expensive. I also think that they could have picked someone bett er than Cundiff.

PS: The Chad Jackson thread is just an oppinion at this point because we haven't seem either of them play in the NFL yet. I think Jennings will turn out just fine I was just impresed with Jackson in the combine. I also saw him on espn in some catching drills and he didn't drop a ball. He won the competition over Vernon Davis who has amasing hands.

PackerPro42
06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
And I don;t recall calling anyone names. I'm just trying to get along with everyone on this site. So if I made anyone mad I'm sorry.

BallHawk
06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Ok, not a critizcism just an observation. I'm 13 myself :mrgreen: In terms of Longwell, I think he was too much money. In terms of Jennings he will be a Steve Smith like receiver. Again, it's just opinion till they get on the field.

EDIT: Not serious name calling, just like "shortwell" and "mr. administrator." Nothing serious, you were probably just joking around. Don't take any of this to offense. I get along with anyone. And don't let Charlie Brown, a.k.a. Tank convince to try drugs. He's a bad bad man. JK. :mrgreen:

Harlan Huckleby
06-27-2006, 10:51 PM
And I don;t recall calling anyone names. I'm just trying to get along with everyone on this site. So if I made anyone mad I'm sorry.

you are a bit argumentative, but that's ok. nothing wrong with your arguing style, if people don't like it, so what.

I disagree with your STRONG opinion on Jackson. Well, if you watched a lot of his college games, fine. Otherwise, I just don't see how you can know much more than is indicated by his 2nd round rating by most teams.

Bretsky
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
What are you talking about? Did you watch any of therre games last year? Many of them were loses by a fieldgoal or so. I would have rather seen a loss in overtime than a missed field goal in the last seconds.

Lonwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the NFL hands down. Did you read about the horrific holds in training camp last year ? BJ Sanders was just not a bad holder in training camp last year; he was terrible. And the coaches could have certainly seen a problem going forward. Longwell was probably being kind only mentioning it a few times last year. Like him or not, Ryan Longwell's accuracy was outstanding and he was money with a good hold.

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
OK - first of all, age is irrelevant here - in a perfect world, we should all be indoctrinated as GB fans around age 8.

Secondly, hey, I am not the biggest Longwell fan (by the way, the alias should be "Shortbad" or "Shortpoor", right?) - but that's such a cop-out to use him as the scapegoat for last year. The guy singlehandedly won FOUR games druing the '04 season. If we were really all that good last year. we wouldn't have needed to rely on just a figgie to win games.

Thirdly, Chaz Woodson hasn't even seen pine yet, so relax.

Fourthly...what the hell was this topic about to begin with???

the_idle_threat
06-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Fourthly...what the hell was this topic about to begin with???

http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/avatars/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

the_idle_threat
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry ... I just couldn't help it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FavreChild
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Although I got nothing against MS, that is a priceless image.

Find Joe Namath + Susie Kolber next, please.

(Again, I forget what the topic is; hope that's okay.)

MadtownPacker
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Sorry ... I just couldn't help it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! That Sherm, he was always good for a laugh.

the_idle_threat
06-28-2006, 12:06 AM

http://www.eastcoastbob.com/namath%20drunk.jpg

They are a cute couple.

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 12:09 AM
OK....you are missing the effect of me doubled over in laughter....

But boy, that hit the spot!

"I wanna kiss you!"

PackerPro42
06-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Lonwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the NFL hands down. Did you read about the horrific holds in training camp last year ? BJ Sanders was just not a bad holder in training camp last year; he was terrible. And the coaches could have certainly seen a problem going forward. Longwell was probably being kind only mentioning it a few times last year. Like him or not, Ryan Longwell's accuracy was outstanding and he was money with a good hold.[/quote]

It takes two to tango.

BallHawk
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah, but, Longwell did everything he could to get the ball through the upright. If the scurbs we have can't hold a football than that's there fault. He really needed Doug Pederson. That guy should be in the holder hall of fame. :mrgreen:

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
It does take two to tango, and I think Longwell mentally lost it by the end of the season. He's historically been a great kicker though. He always rip him for his kickoffs, but statistically they've been average. I would have to say that average distance on a kickoff league wide for playing in green bay is pretty darn good considering all the southern and dome teams. I am very surprised he signed with Minnesota, I figured he'd be down south somewhere guaranteed so he can work on his golf game year round too.

In summary, he had a bad year. Historically, he has been one of the best kickers ever, and one of the best packers ever. If there is one thing I can guarantee you, it is that San Francisco was kicking itself that they cut this kid :lol:

Deputy Nutz
06-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Longwell couldn't even get the ball to the 5 yard line during kickoffs on a consistent basis. Longwell was an accurate Kicker for field goals, but his leg just wasn't good enough for kick offs, and that is why you don't give a kicker like that all the money.

This thread is funny. A fucking Texans fan. First time I ever heard of one of those.

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:21 AM
You'd visibly see a lot more had they made the smart draft choice. Now you're going to see a lot more saints fans walking the streets.

Zool
06-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Ah,

That's "voluntary".

Mandatory means you like, have to be there.

Well craptastic....It should have read AREN'T mandatory actually. I no speel guud.

Bossman641
06-28-2006, 11:21 AM

http://www.eastcoastbob.com/namath%20drunk.jpg

They are a cute couple.

The picture is nice but here's the video for full effect. Never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95O-lwAMHRc&search=joe%20namath

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

God bless Suzy Kolber.

Rastak
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

God bless Suzy Kolber.

She handled that quite well actually...I laughed my ass off when it happened live.

Harlan Huckleby
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
was Broadway Joe drunk? problem with his meds? that was embarassing.

Rastak
06-28-2006, 11:55 AM
was Broadway Joe drunk? problem with his meds? that was embarassing.

He was hammered.

BallHawk
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
"Oh Boy, Joe's a happy guy."

LOL. :lol:

PackerPro42
06-28-2006, 12:22 PM
zthe good news is he went through rehab and he is all better now.

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I wonder who had the bright idea to put him on national tv in that condition...and has he forgiven them yet? :lol:

Rastak
06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I wonder who had the bright idea to put him on national tv in that condition...and has he forgiven them yet? :lol:

It was on live tv, they had idea he was shit faced when they pulled him aside to talk.

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
He was slurring his words. He probably stunk of booze and was obviously shitfaced, there had to be some sort of indication that he might not be able to pull this off without embarassing himself.

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
But then we wouldn't have had the hilarity that ensued to save for posterity. Drunk people make for good reality tv.

I don't know what all of this had to do with the Texans, but it was probably my fault for leading the topic astray. So I'll conclude by commenting that David Carr is one good-looking QB. The Texans need to get better so that he can get more appearances and commercial deals like Tom Brady.

KYPack
06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Joe was humiliated by his national TV screw-up. If any of you get a chance read "Namath", It's one of the best football bio's ever written. Joe was hitting the sauce extra hard in those days. he had a nasty, crazy break-up with his ex and was making an effort to hit the bottle.

As Wausau pointed out, he has quit the juice and now is sober.

Keep posting Wausu. Don't worry about your age, you make some excellent points. My 15 year old nephew has always been a good source of info for me. He knows his stuff & has been giving me good Packer data since he was 11 or so. Try to tone it down a little, OK?

Zool, sorry if I seemed snarky, but that post has a totally different meaning without the "aren't",

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 04:58 PM
But then we wouldn't have had the hilarity that ensued to save for posterity. Drunk people make for good reality tv.

I don't know what all of this had to do with the Texans, but it was probably my fault for leading the topic astray. So I'll conclude by commenting that David Carr is one good-looking QB. The Texans need to get better so that he can get more appearances and commercial deals like Tom Brady.

AMEN, SISTER!!!! :cool: