PDA

View Full Version : Author Tony Hillerman dies

oregonpackfan
10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Noted American author Tony Hillerman died today at age 83. He wrote many fine mysteries involving modern Navajo Native Americans.

His main protagonists were Navajo tribal police officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.

Though Hillerman was white, he was very knowledgeable in the Navajo culture. Many of his stories were in the setting of the Four Corners area where New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado meet.

If you haven't read any of his novels, I recommend you try one of them. A Thief Of Time is a good first read if you are unfamiliar with his works.

Tony Hillerman
Activity Sheet

Biography
Tony Hillerman, novelist and journalist, was born May 27, 1925, and grew up at St. Mary's Academy, a boarding school for Native American girls at Sacred Heart-a Catholic mission formerly located in Pottawatomie County near Asher, Oklahoma. Hillerman once said of the nuns at Sacred Heart, "They eventually forgave my brother (photographer Barney Hillerman) and I for not being Indian, but they never forgave us for not being girls."
In 1943, he joined the U. S. Army, serving in combat in World War II. He was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster, and the Purple Heart after being wounded in 1945. (These injuries included broken legs, foot, ankle, facial burns, and temporary blindness.) He was discharged in 1945.
Hillerman earned a B.A. at the University of Oklahoma in 1946, and an M.A. from the University of New Mexico in 1966. He worked as a newspaper editor in Lawton and as a political reporter for United Press International in Oklahoma City.
As a novelist, he won the Edgar Allen Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America in 1974 for Dance Hall of the Dead (Harper 1973). Hillerman was also inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 1993 and won the Oklahoma Center for the Book Lifetime Achievement Award Winner in 1991. His novels, which focus predominantly on Navajo themes, include: The Blessing Way, The Boy Who Made Dragonfly, Listening Woman, A Thief ofTime, Talking God, Sacred Clowns, The Fallen Man, and The First Eagle.
Hillerman is professor of journalism at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. Although he says he feels great for the shape he's in, his health has been a concern. He told PBS in 1996, " I am 71, have now-and-then rhematic arthritis but now very badly, have in-remission cancer, have had a minor heart attack, have one mediocre eye, one tricky ankle and two unreliable knees due to being blown up in WWII. "
He married Marie Unzner in 1948, to whom he is still married. They have six grown children. His memoirs, entitled Seldom Disappointed, will be published in October, 2001. His newest mystery will be called Golden Calf and is due out in 2002. He resides in Albuquerque, NM.

Thief of Time
A Thief of Time
Book Description from amazon.com
A noted anthropologist vanishes at a moonlit Indian ruin where "thieves of time" ravage sacred ground for profit. When two corpses appear amid stolen goods and bones at an ancient burial site, Navajo Tribal Policemen Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Officer Jim Chee must plunge into the past to unearth the astonishing truth behind a mystifying series of horrific murders. Read an exerpt.

The Blessing WayThe Blessing Way
Book Description from amazon.com
High on the desolate mesa they found the body. The mouth was filled with sand. No tracks, no clues. Every Navajo knew that nothing human killed like that.
Rumors of witchcraft and the supernatural are nothing new to Lt. Joe Leaphorn of the Navajo Tribal Police. He and anthropologist Bergen McKee had stalked the Wolf-Witch before. Always it had eluded them, vanishing like a ghost on the wind. But never had it left such a horrifying trail of murder.
For Lt. Leaphorn, the case was a baffling challenge to his logic. For Bergen McKee, it was a problem of academic concern. Now, no longer is tracking the Navajo Wolf simply a challenge - now it's a matter of life and death. Read an exerpt.

Unofficial Tony Hillerman Homepage
http://www.umsl.edu/~smueller/

Hillerman Country
http://www.mysterynet.com/hillerman/

Book Page Interview
http://www.bookpage.com/9809bp/tony_hillerman.html

Back to Writing Out Loud -- Home -- State Department -- ITV Schedule

Deputy Nutz
10-28-2008, 08:38 AM
I say good riddance to that liberal piece of Scum, may the devil enjoy his soul!

SkinBasket
10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Noted American author Tony Hillerman died today at age 83. He wrote many fine mysteries involving modern Navajo Native Americans.

His main protagonists were Navajo tribal police officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee.

Though Hillerman was white, he was very knowledgeable in the Navajo culture.

This reads like an Onion article.

oregonpackfan
10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I say good riddance to that liberal piece of Scum, may the devil enjoy his soul!

Hillerman was a highly respected author! To be honest, I have no idea of his political affiliation and/or philosophy! :shock:

Are you saying that anyone who has achieved recognition in his/her field has to be a liberal? To take it further, does being liberal in political affiliation a negative thing?(Yes, if you listen to the likes of Texas, all liberals are evil people who hate America... :roll: )

Deputy Nutz
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Hillerman was a highly respected author! To be honest, I have no idea of his political affiliation and/or philosophy! :shock:

Are you saying that anyone who has achieved recognition in his/her field has to be a liberal? To take it further, does being liberal in political affiliation a negative thing?(Yes, if you listen to the likes of Texas, all liberals are evil people who hate America... :roll: )

Oh sorry I jut thought that was forum policy to shame the dead, my bad

swede
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought Tony Hillerman was the fat guy with the Brooklyn accent from the McLoughlin Group--not the guy with the huge jowls--the fat guy with the curly black hair.

Is McLoughlin still alive? He seemed ready to step into a six foot hole twenty years ago.

I actually had a bit of a thing for Eleanor.

Edit: Tony Blankley and Jack Germond were the two fat guys. McLaughlin, apparently, is still alive. Unbelievably, Jack Germond is still alive after carrying that 40 pound wattle around for twenty years.