PDA

View Full Version : Are you overpaid for what you do?

gex
10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
What professions do you think are getting paid to much $$$ for their skillset and actual labor?

Which ones should get more?

MJZiggy
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, of course mine should get more...

Oil executives make too much money.

Partial
10-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Why on both accounts?

MadtownPacker
10-29-2008, 01:45 AM
What professions do you think are getting paid to much $$$ for their skillset and actual labor?Any that post on forums from work. :D

texaspackerbacker
10-29-2008, 01:58 AM
I don't do a damn thing, and I make money off investments, etc. Am I overpaid? In five or six months, I will be old enough to start getting a check from the government every month--Social Security. Will I be more overpaid then?

I had a water leak in the foundation yesterday. Two plumbers did the job in an hour and 15 minutes. The material was easily less than $50 worth. I was charged $1,050 for the job. Does that mean plumbers are overpaid? The job needed doing, and I didn't have the ability to do it myself--and no other plumbing contractor would do it for less. So according to the law of supply and demand, the price was fair.

Ditto that for pretty much any other occupation you can name.

sheepshead
10-29-2008, 07:05 AM
What professions do you think are getting paid to much $$$ for their skillset and actual labor?

This is America, thus no such thing in my opinion. Everyone has the same opportunity to make something of them selves. (of course the Democrat party is looking to change all that )

HowardRoark
10-29-2008, 07:22 AM
English teachers in Rhinelander.

Oil executives.

sheepshead
10-29-2008, 07:30 AM
[quote]What professions do you think are getting paid to much $$$ for their skillset and actual labor?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

retailguy
10-29-2008, 08:02 AM

That wasn't very nice..... :evil: I'm not quite an executive but that misses the point.

mraynrand
10-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Oil executives.

I laughed so hard at this one, I almost fell off my yacht. It would be interesting, and probably frightening, to hear Zig describe how to determine whether someone, in general, is making too much. Well, my ride is warming up on the helipad on deck, so I have to get to the mainland for a meeting with Conoco and Shell to set gas prices.

mraynrand
10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
What professions do you think are getting paid to much $$$ for their skillset and actual labor?Any that post on forums from work. :D

QFT; guilty as charged.

Partial
10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
unionized workers of any sort are typically overpaid as the market cannot set an adequate wage for them.

red
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't do a damn thing, and I make money off investments, etc. Am I overpaid? In five or six months, I will be old enough to start getting a check from the government every month--Social Security. Will I be more overpaid then?

I had a water leak in the foundation yesterday. Two plumbers did the job in an hour and 15 minutes. The material was easily less than $50 worth. I was charged $1,050 for the job. Does that mean plumbers are overpaid? The job needed doing, and I didn't have the ability to do it myself--and no other plumbing contractor would do it for less. So according to the law of supply and demand, the price was fair.

well, figure at least one if not both those guys were making between 10 to 20 dollars an hour

so they made about 20 bucks for actually doing the work, while the owner of the company got the other 980 bucks

at least thats how it works around here

Freak Out
10-29-2008, 12:32 PM

You got fucked Tex. Did you look at the bill? Union shops charge about $85 an hour here for labor so the parts/materials must have been very expensive.

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 06:33 PM

That wasn't very nice..... :evil: I'm not quite an executive but that misses the point.

Best as I can tell, dear, you're not in an industry that charges $3 a gallon for gas when barrel prices are now below $70, making record profits in the billions of dollars from people who can't really afford the prices but can do little about it. The same companies who fight R&D all the time because they don't want the dependence on their product diminished. And before you jump on me about public transportation options, first remember I use the train, and second remember that not everyone has access to good public transport.

Therefore, Retail, I don't fault you for being an executive as you're not ripping off the entire American population who are dependent on your product.

Partial
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
If you think oil execs are overpaid, start an alternative fuel company and pay yourself accordingly and dig out some of their profits.

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.bluehgroup.com/

Not my company, but feel free to invest nevertheless

Oh, and the Masdar Initiative just bought a 20% interest in e-ON. I wonder when we're gonna have to buy out the oil companies because they're sitting on their asses watching this stuff happen?

Bossman641
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Hope I'm not pissing anybody off here, but I say road construction workers. When do they actually work????

HowardRoark
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Oh, and the Masdar Initiative just bought a 20% interest in e-ON. I wonder when we're gonna have to buy out the oil companies because they're sitting on their asses watching this stuff happen?

Is big Teddy letting one outside his window yet?

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Is big Teddy letting one outside his window yet?

Yes.

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 09:01 PM

An English teacher gets paid "to" much $$$?

Oy vey :roll:

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 09:05 PM

Gex (the one who wrote the originally quoted sentence) is from Rhinelander...

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Gex (the one who wrote the originally quoted sentence) is from Rhinelander...

I know, darling.......I get sarcasm. :P

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Ok, love, just making sure there...

arcilite
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
I think teachers are overpaid.

And that was not sarcasm.

AtlPackFan
10-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Am not!