PDA

View Full Version : Best nicknames in nfl (past and present)?

MOBB DEEP
10-29-2008, 10:43 PM
there doesnt seem to be as many as there once was

i love fast willie parker and all day

fav all time is SWEETNESS

mraynrand
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Bubba

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Harry Colon.

http://www.flumesday.com/images/chubby.png

Bossman641
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Iron Head

MJZiggy
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Harry Colon.

http://www.flumesday.com/images/chubby.png

Is he hiding a pot belly not visible in the image? I just don't see it.

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
August "Iron Mike" Michalske
http://www.packershalloffame.org/images/template/inductees/mikemichalske.jpg

Gunakor
10-29-2008, 11:06 PM
The Bus

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Brady "The Swarmin' Mormon" Poppinga
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/446568.jpg

steve823
10-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Marshmellow

http://www.njweedman.com/fatass.jpg

Gunakor
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
The Refrigerator

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Orenthal "Orange Jumpsuit" Simpson
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080212/OJ-Simpson-Jail_l.jpg

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Michael "Hey, can I tell you who I am" Irvin
http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/i/S/irvin_m.jpg

pbmax
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Night Train Lane
The Assassin
Too Tall Jones
Whisper Goodman

Partial
Ryan "Gorilla" Grant

Iron Mike
Laser Rocket Arm
http://myspace-212.vo.llnwd.net/01271/21/29/1271179212_l.jpg

pbmax
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Lou "The Toe" Groza

BallHawk
10-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Ickey Woods

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Turnoversaurus Wrecks
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/cumslinger.jpg

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Fred "The Hammer" Williamson
http://www.remembertheafl.com/images/1965Topps152FWilliamson250w.jpg

Iron Mike
10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Matt "The Hebrew Hammer" Bernstein
http://detroitlions.com/photos/athletes/Bernstein_Matt.gif

Joemailman
10-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Crazy Legs Hirsch

The Stork

vince
10-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Noone's been bestowed with more colorful nicknames than this guy.

http://asthecroweflies.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/lorenzen-giants.jpg
Quarter(got)back
Hefty Lefty
The Pillsbury Throwboy
The Abominable Throwman
J.Load
Round Mound of Touchdown
BBQ (Big Beautiful Quarterback)
Battleship Lorenzen
Butterball
Lord Of The Ring-Dings
He Ate Me

cpk1994
10-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
"The Bald Blur" Mark Murphy

mraynrand
10-30-2008, 08:21 AM
"Buckets" Goldenberg
John "Blood" McNally

MOBB DEEP
10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
the snake

CaptainKickass
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok - but you asked for it.

Some of these I got from this forum, some have been around my circle of friends as long as I can remember. But off the top of my head, here some funny shit.

People -

Atari Bigby = 2600!!
Ryan Pickett = Pickett Fence
Aaron Rodgers = Air'n Rodgers or Err'n Rodgers if he's doing bad
All Harris = Al Harrissment

Brett Favre = Grandfavrer, tell me a story....
Grady Jackson = Gravy Jackson
Marion Barber = MaryAnn Barber
Randy Moss = Mandy Ross
Ryan Plackermeier = Ryan Puntermeier
Matt Hasselbeck = Hasselhoff .... which we all know is only referred to as "The Hoff".

Teams -

Jets = Jerks
Bengals = Bungles or Been-Gals
Pittsburgh Steelers = Shitsburg Squealers
Colts = Cunts
Titans = Titties (they do have "tit" in the name)
Dolphins = The Fish
Patriots = Gaytriots
Broncos = Brown Cows
Chiefs = Chefs (Not goin' anywhere for a while? - go look up the snickers commercial dammit!)
Oakland Raiders = Jokeland Gayders
Chargers = Chagrins (no idea how that one came about)
Seahawks = Chickenhawks
Lions = loins
Vikings = Bi-Queens
Panthers = Panties
New Orleans Saints = New Orleans Sinners
Cowboys = Cowgirls
Giants = Gnats
San Francisco 49ers = San Francisco 69ers

And my favorite nickname for any NFL taem of all time:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers = Tampon Gay Fuckin' Queers.

There's more - but I can't remember them all right now.

:D

GoPackGo
10-30-2008, 01:23 PM
David D. "Deacon" Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnC8L2TfdY&feature=related

Dick "Night Train" Lane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdH1tuq8Bg

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
"Spider" Lockhart may be my all-time favorite.
Others would include "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh, "Dandy Don" Meredith and Flozell "The Hotel" Adams. Walter Payton as Sweetness worked, too.
And you can't forget Paul "The Golden Boy" Hornung here!!

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Chiefs = Chefs (Not goin' anywhere for a while? - go look up the snickers commercial dammit!)

"Great gooogily moogily!" :lol:

SD has been called the Bolts for years, and New England the Pats (or the Patsies) likewise.

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Another all-time favorite of mine: the old Browns' kick returner Gerald "The Ice Cube" McNeil--because he was so small and so slippery. The Browns also used to have "Touchdown Tommy" Vardell.

And nobody's mentioned The Majik Man yet?

Rastak
10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Elvis "Toast" Patterson

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Dave "Hawg" Hanner

TravisWilliams23
10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Packers: "The Minister of Defense" Reggie White
"Gravedigger" Gilbert Brown
" The Roadrunner" Travis Williams

Favorite "other team name": "Mean Joe" Greene

KYPack
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Not my fave, but a good "modern one".

Christian "The Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye.

Freak Out
10-30-2008, 06:48 PM
The Galloping Ghost - Reg Grange.

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Jack "The Throwin' Samoan" Thompson.

The Shadow
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
'Hacksaw' Reynolds.

Fritz
10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Bobby "Buttjuice" Johnson.

Very Old School, there.

oregonpackfan
10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
"Mean" Joe Greene.

mraynrand
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Deion Sanders: "Neon Deion" and "Prime Time"
Brett Favre: "Country Time"

oregonpackfan
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
"He Hate Me."

I am not sure about his real name. Is it Rod Smart? :?:

Zool
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
"He Hate Me."

Correct. Played on special teams with the Panthers for a couple years.

Noodle
10-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Lance "Bambi" Alworth

Reggie "Minister of Defense" White

Jevon "The Freak" Kearse

"Broadway" Joe Namath

"Bullet" Bob Hayes

"Gravedigger"

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

"Hollywood" Henderson

Gunakor
10-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Pacman :lol:

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Lance "Bambi" Alworth

Reggie "Minister of Defense" White

Jevon "The Freak" Kearse

"Broadway" Joe Namath

"Bullet" Bob Hayes

"Gravedigger"

Andre "Bad Moon" Rison

"Hollywood" Henderson

Those are some of the best...I remember when Bob Hayes was also The World's Fastest Human. Was he still there when Clint "The Mad Bomber" Longley played in Big D?

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Bobby "Buttjuice" Johnson.

I'm not at all sure I wanna know how he got that one. :whaa:

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
"He Hate Me."

Correct. Played on special teams with the Panthers for a couple years.
Yup, and in the XFL before that, where he got to have He Hate Me on his jersey.

http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/He_Hate_Me.jpg

Just thought of another favorite one from a while ago now: the Bengals' Pete "The Runaway Dump Truck" Johnson--described his fullback running style perfectly.

SnakeLH2006
10-30-2008, 11:59 PM
This one's easy...hands down:

Jeff Query, Packer WR from the late 80's to early 90's = WHITE LIGHTNING.

A real burner with no hands, but speed, for a 5'9" 170 pound white guy with a shitty mustache.

I remember as a young kid, my parents had season Packer tickets and some racist rednecks sat behind us holding up White Lightning signs, etc. as they got more drunk EVERY second of the game, really annoying and boisterous..... One time some fat redneck spilled a beer on my older brother who had warned him to keep his dumb mouth shut and my bro (who was a TE in college at the time) turned around a clocked him clean out. Security came in and kicked them out... and after a week or two, they must of got booted for good cuz Jeff Query's fan club was no more.

Still White Lightning was an awesome moniker for someone that just flat out sucked as an NFL player, yet could inspire such white trash to unite.

MOBB DEEP
10-31-2008, 12:27 AM
lambeau is the most racist/obnoxious venue ive visited in my 34 years of life

i wasnt surprised (and was actually a lil elated after gettn over the sting of the loss) tht moss "mooned" them

ive never understood white's hatred of black considering WE'RE the ones who have been oppressed, enslaved, lynched, disenfranchised, etc - how ironic

i miss bill schroeder

Tarlam!
10-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Having worked for a Wisconsin-based company I never witnessed racism in WI.

Having been to GB only once, I still have a hard time believing this racism sentiment.

And obnoxious? GB Fans are WORLD FAMOUS for their hospitality to visiting fans.

I just never agree with anything you post, MOBB. Guess I must be an obnoxiuos racist, huh? :wink:

SnakeLH2006
10-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Having worked for a Wisconsin-based company I never witnessed racism in WI.

Having been to GB only once, I still have a hard time believing this racism sentiment.

And obnoxious? GB Fans are WORLD FAMOUS for their hospitality to visiting fans.

I just never agree with anything you post, MOBB. Guess I must be an obnoxiuos racist, huh? :wink:

Well been to over 50 games in GB...most often it's a very friendly crowd. Just my experience as a young'en (I'm white, not that it matters, but racism is just stupid and still see it rear it's ugly head). So I agree Mobb.

Speaking of rearing ugly heads, I thought you were done posting Tarlam? You explicitedly PM'd me as such? :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I've been to 12 games at Lambeau, and I haven't heard any racist remarks.

MOBB DEEP
10-31-2008, 07:25 AM
im not sayn its exclusive to GB (most stadiums ive been in are located in more urban areas) but i KNOW what i experienced in 03

and when i say obnoxious i dont mean towards fans of the opposition. im speakn about being repetitive with assanine remarks ("look there's edgerin james" b/c i had dreds - lol. its funny now but when i looked him and his boys dead in the eyes ther was contempt written all over his and his posse's face, wearing some gay hunting gear). im there with my skinny, sympathetic Queen so had to show restraint

and i think its a cultural thing (being so over-zealous); black folk have too many more-important/critical issuses going on in their lives to take a sunday afternoion game WAY too seriously

im not a cultural guru but ive had ALOT of experience dealing with both races; used to be called an OREO b/c of my frienships/speach/behaviors in high school and undergrad

MOST RACIST may be a loaded statement but no offense intended. kinda like trolls dont realize they're trolls, racists may not realize they give off that vibe IMMEDIATELY.....tone of voice, topics they choose to bring up. because i was raised to b accepting ive had to replay certain things in my head or be told by associates in order to realize i was insulted

usually it's the result of beer muscles b/c even though i smile and laugh alot im pretty buffed - lol

btw, spike lee said going to a game in indy was like going to a kkklan rally. im sure most white folks and euros like tarlam! wouldnt concur....

Zool
10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
its funny now but when i looked him dead in the eye he had contempt written all over his and his posse's face, wearing some gay hunting gear). im there with my skinny, sympathetic Queen so had to show restraint

You know, this could really be taken out of context very easily.

MOBB DEEP
10-31-2008, 07:36 AM
its funny now but when i looked him dead in the eye he had contempt written all over his and his posse's face, wearing some gay hunting gear). im there with my skinny, sympathetic Queen so had to show restraint

You know, this could really be taken out of context very easily.

lol

KYPack
10-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Lambeau is the friendliest venue in Pro Sports.

You want obnoxious rednecks?

Go to a game in (in order of neckdom):

Buffalo - Serious drunks who start drinkin on Tuesday for the game. They've been angling for a fight all week and turn on each other if they can't find opposing team fans to jump.

Pittsburgh - See Buffalo

Cleveland - The lake people seem to be as high as they are drunk on booze, which makes 'em sneakier.

Philly - They don't have a jail in the stadium fer nothin'. Philly fans are their own breed and can turn dangerous at the drop of a hat Haven't been to a game in Philly yet, I'm just going by reputation.

Denver - They love them Broncos, but don't understand the game too well. So they act obnoxious at the wrong times.

Washington. Chocolate City, you think they'd be more urbane, but they get cranked up for football. These other towns I expected neck activity, but not among these white collar workers.

These first 3 towns are dangerous places to go to attend a game. They make my top 3 because I've actually seen people assaulted and shit in these towns at NFL games. In Denver and Washington there a lot of drunken asshole fans, but no assaults that I saw.

Thgem dirty looks are bothersome, but you don't need to bandage 'em up for a few weeks after.

KYPack
10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Buffalo - Serious drunks who start drinkin on Tuesday for the game. They've been angling for a fight all week and turn on each other if they can't find opposing team fans to jump.

Pittsburgh - See Buffalo

Cleveland - The lake people seem to be as high as they are drunk on booze, which makes 'em sneakier.

Philly - They don't have a jail in the stadium fer nothin'. Philly fans are their own breed and can turn dangerous at the drop of a hat Haven't been to a game in Philly yet, I'm just going by reputation.

Denver - They love them Broncos, but don't understand the game too well. So they act obnoxious at the wrong times.

Washington. Chocolate City, you think they'd be more urbane, but they get cranked up for football. These other towns I expected neck activity, but not among these white collar workers.

These first 3 towns are dangerous places to go to attend a game. They make my top 3 because I've actually seen people assaulted and shit in these towns at NFL games. In Denver and Washington there a lot of drunken asshole fans, but no assaults that I saw.

Those dirty looks are bothersome, but you don't need to bandage 'em up for a few weeks after. I've never seen a jumping and beatdown at Lambeau. I have seen drunken fools there and guys I would have hated to be sittin' next to, but nothing like some of the dangerous venues across the league.

Patler
10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
On the topic of nicknames... one of the best, based on the position played, playing style, personality, etc:

Craig "Iron Head" Heyward (also sometimes written as "Heywood")

Ironically, he died a couple years ago from recurring brain tumors at age 39.
He was listed at 5' 11" tall and weighing 260 lb., but reportedly weighed well over 300 lbs at times in his career and was normally in the 280-300 lb. range. His nickname came from his running style in which he who would try to run over people by spearing them in the chest or stomach with his helmet. It didn't matter how big they were, he tried to evade no one, and could never be convinced of the advantages in doing so. Put up decent career numbers (4000+ rushing yards), but bounced around to several teams for 11 years. Appeared in one Pro Bowl.

MOBB DEEP
10-31-2008, 09:45 AM

Pittsburgh - See Buffalo

Thgem dirty looks are bothersome, but you don't need to bandage 'em up for a few weeks after.

actually pretty good description of washington as far as the drunkeness. not out of touch 'necks tho..alot come from rural areas of virginia and maryland (a mere 45 min drive). the locals are serious, knowledgable fans for sure (like my barber!)

lol "neckdom"

im thinkn "All Day" may be the best

i really like when the nickname becomes part of their real names like magic in bball. white chocolate was cool too (i picked him to be a star! if only his jumper developed..)

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
A real burner with no hands, but speed, for a 5'9" 170 pound white guy with a shitty mustache.

Sounds a little like me as an 880 runner my sophomore year at Madison West High School.
Well, except maybe not the speed part. :)

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
On the topic of nicknames... one of the best, based on the position played, playing style, personality, etc:

Craig "Iron Head" Heyward (also sometimes written as "Heywood")

I remember him playing for the Saints when he was good...he did a commercial when men's body washes first came out with that little poofy thing people sometimes use with those in the shower. The basic idea was "Ironhead Heyward is man enough to use one of these things...are you?"

KYPack
10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey back on topic, eh?

Couple food guys

Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack.

And the legend:

"Taco" Wallace

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
My dad always used to call Estus Hood "Useless Hood". :)

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
On a college theme...
Frank "The Professor" Ryan, the QB for the Browns when they won the 1964 NFL title. He has a Ph.D. in Mathematics from Rice University.
And, "Otis Sistrunk from the University of Mars".

cpk1994
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
"Grabby Smurf" or "Highway 28" Ahmad Carroll.