PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell

steve823
10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok Justin Harrells gunna come back and finish the season strong. 6 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 7 tackles for loss.

Lol but seriously how much would he help if he actaully turned out to be a stud....lol its prolly too late thats y im even thinking this nonsense

Joemailman
10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm thinking he'll put up those numbers his first game.

red
10-30-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm thinking he'll put up those numbers his first game.

well, he better do it quick then. i figure he only has 8 or 9 plays in him before he gets hurt again

Fritz
10-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Agreed with the above in that the first priority is for Harrell to not get hurt. He's got to be able to play the rest of the season.

Secondly, he's got to get his game legs back (wait, did he ever have them?). So for the first couple of games I think he's just taking some snaps to give Pickett, Jolly, and Cole a rest.

But after that, if he can get that far, then it's time to see if he can actually be a force in the league. I sure hope so. If he can hold his ground and absorb double teams in the run game to open things up for the linebackers, and get some push in the middle in the passing game, then we will have a guy who can help this team.

I'm rooting for the guy.

LL2
10-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Harrell will mostly be a body for a while. I like the way Cole and Pickett hace been playing. It would be great to see Jeremy Thompson come on strong in the second half of the season.

cheesner
10-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Of the Packers DTs, Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, and Jolly, only Jolly had some success early. The others took a few seasons to develop. Don't laugh - Harrell may surprise some of you.

I know Harrell's injuries have been frustrating for fans who seem to demand only immediate gratification, but give the kid a break. I doubt he will ever have 6 sacks in a season - that is not his game. His game is a pocket collapser, that is why the Packers drafted him. If he becomes what he can become, he will be a very valuable player for the Packers.

Pugger
10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Has he been activated yet? I'm hoping he can help with the running game and will help keep the D line fresher later in games as we rotate fellas in and out. :)

sharpe1027
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Gilbert Brown was cut, picked up by the Packers, didn't play much and then hurt his next two seasons. Don't write the kid off just yet.

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Of the Packers DTs, Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, and Jolly, only Jolly had some success early. The others took a few seasons to develop. Don't laugh - Harrell may surprise some of you.

Pickett was solid from his second year on. In fact, he set his career high for tackles in his second season.

rbaloha1
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
JH flashed power and explosion last season. IMO by the end of the season CW proves to be a good no resign.

JH eventually replaces Pickett. JT eventually replaces KGB. TT rocks!

BF4MVP
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I hope he helps our D keep TEN's runningbacks in check.

steve823
10-30-2008, 02:36 PM

I know Harrell's injuries have been frustrating for fans who seem to demand only immediate gratification, but give the kid a break. I doubt he will ever have 6 sacks in a season - that is not his game. His game is a pocket collapser, that is why the Packers drafted him. If he becomes what he can become, he will be a very valuable player for the Packers.

Lol yea I know he wont have six sacks..he'll be lucky if he even has 1. Hes more of a grady jackson type of guy..lol. Man anybody else miss seeing gradys fatass falling on people?

Tony Oday
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I would be happy if he came in and the run defense gives up 10 less yards a game...

Pacopete4
10-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Gilbert Brown was cut, picked up by the Packers, didn't play much and then hurt his next two seasons. Don't write the kid off just yet.

I dont ever wanna see Harrell's name next to the Grave Digger's... Gilbert was a man!, he played hurt and was a game changer.. he fought for everything he got. Harrell is a fuckin pansy ass pussy who has millions upon millions for being athletic and most likely wont do shit with that ability

but heres to hoping im wrong cuz our season could swing on this kid being good or not

HarveyWallbangers
10-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Gilbert struggled with the league for a couple of years before finding his niche. Remember he was a member of the Vikings before he joined the Pack.

Tony Oday
10-30-2008, 04:21 PM

I dont ever wanna see Harrell's name next to the Grave Digger's... Gilbert was a man!, he played hurt and was a game changer.. he fought for everything he got. Harrell is a fuckin pansy ass pussy who has millions upon millions for being athletic and most likely wont do shit with that ability

but heres to hoping im wrong cuz our season could swing on this kid being good or not

Well you have a history of being wrong ;) lol just messing with ya.

Pacopete4
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Well you have a history of being wrong ;) lol just messing with ya.

haha ya, if I was always right... what would I be doing on these message boards?... well, unless ur name is Patler

sharpe1027
10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

The irony in complaining about seeing Harrell's name next to the Grave Digger's. :lol:

In college, Harrell put off surgery to play with a severe bicep injury. The book is out on whether that was a one-time deal, but Gilbert missed quite a few games due to injury, especially early in his career.

red
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM

The irony in complaining about seeing Harrell's name next to the Grave Digger's. :lol:

In college, Harrell put off surgery to play with a severe bicep injury. The book is out on whether that was a one-time deal, but Gilbert missed quite a few games due to injury, especially early in his career.

i think he played like 1 half with that injury, and then missed the rest of the season, if i'm not mistaken

he also was injured for 3 or 4 of his 5 years in college, i think he had 1 season where he didn't miss a big chunk of a year

the guy is just an injury waiting to happen. his first 2 seasons in the nfl have just been par for the course for him

Pacopete4
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM

i think he played like 1 half with that injury, and then missed the rest of the season, if i'm not mistaken

he also was injured for 3 or 4 of his 5 years in college, i think he had 1 season where he didn't miss a big chunk of a year

the guy is just an injury waiting to happen. his first 2 seasons in the nfl have just been par for the course for him

I remember a goaline stand when gilbert had that torn bicept and I think it might have been the last time he played before he was out for awhile, it was pretty emotional to see... he was the heart and soul of some great defenses... while reggie was the vocal leader, Gilbert just got shit done when it counted

sharpe1027
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm not arguing that he hasn't been injured a ton, but they've been serious injuries, not Wynn-type hang nails. I don't think calling him a pansy is fair. The kid has had some bad breaks with injuries, but it is not like he is sitting out with cramps.

Injuries are hard to predict, sometimes guys having injury troubles early and end up having long careers. There are also plenty of cases of guys playing their entire college careers without a single injury only to be knocked out of the NFL due to injuries.

bobblehead
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM

good news...your track record on being wrong is very promising for JH.

Fritz
10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I have to laugh when we call these guys "pansies" and the like. Justin Harrell would crush any poster on this board with one leg.

How many posters would call a football player a "pansy" to his face?

bobblehead
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I have to laugh when we call these guys "pansies" and the like. Justin Harrell would crush any poster on this board with one leg.

You mean guys behind bars like Pacman....or actually no barriers between us?

Fritz
10-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Like pacopete seeing Justin Harrell out and about, like at the mall or in a restaurant.

Pacopete4
10-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Like pacopete seeing Justin Harrell out and about, like at the mall or in a restaurant.

I wouldnt back down from him if thats what youre sayin, even if he can beat me senseless ... he is a pansy SO FAR... get on the field and prove ur worth Harrell u fuckin cock suckin pansy!

Fritz
10-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I'll be standing right behind ya, Paco. Really.

No, really.

Zool
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Fuckin pansie should be playing with a bulging disc in his back not having multiple surgeries.

Noodle
10-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Fritzy is so right about this. It burns my bong when I read posters, sittin' on their fat keesters, bithcin' about an NFL player being injured.

You know how stupid punters look trying to make tackles and getting dragged by 190 lb returners? Well, that punter is probably 5 times the athlete of anyone here. Not one of us would last two plays in the NFL without serious need of an ICU. Except maybe GBRulz. Girl is nails.

Anyway, JH collapsing a pocket would be a huge plus for our D. We get killed by guys being able to step up and make a throw. Crush the interior, and the outside pressures, hurries, and knockdowns multiply big time. He doesn't need a single sack, he just needs to be the big rock in the middle.

steve823
10-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Fritzy is so right about this. It burns my bong when I read posters, sittin' on their fat keesters, bithcin' about an NFL player being injured.

You know how stupid punters look trying to make tackles and getting dragged by 190 lb returners? Well, that punter is probably 5 times the athlete of anyone here. Not one of us would last two plays in the NFL without serious need of an ICU. Except maybe GBRulz. Girl is nails.

Anyway, JH collapsing a pocket would be a huge plus for our D. We get killed by guys being able to step up and make a throw. Crush the interior, and the outside pressures, hurries, and knockdowns multiply big time. He doesn't need a single sack, he just needs to be the big rock in the middle.

Agreed. I think he will be a solid player for us in years to come. Reminds me of grady jackson..except hes isnt 450 lbs hes only like 330.

SnakeLH2006
10-31-2008, 12:51 AM
How could anyone do worst than Jamal Reynolds? I played HS and College....may be out of shape now, but hey, I could get pancaked for a few snaps and luck into a tackle too, maybe. Give me min. salary and we have a deal yo! :shock: :lol:

Pugger
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I though JH looked pretty good late last year when he played. He ain't gonna get sacks but we need somebody in there gobbling up blockers and stuffing the run big time. I hope he is activated for this Sunday's game. He may not be in complete football shape but it would be nice to add another body to the D line rotation. :pack:

Without being HIM we shouldn't sit here in front of our computers and b*ich about him not sucking it up and playing? We have no clue how seriously he is injured. :no:

BobDobbs
10-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Calling him a pansy is probably unfair, but he does have a huge injury history. He was injured when we drafted him and the sell was that he was a bargain because of it. He hasn't come close to playing even half a year of football. It's definitely not out of line to question whether he'll be a bust. WE drafted him in the first and he ahs athletic ability, so we have to give him multiple chances.

It looks like it is possible that his body can't hold up to NFL abuse and that his workout ethic may have left him vulnerable to injury. We can all hope that he comes back, contributes, and then grows to be a good even great player. Right now there is no evidence that it's going to happen. Would anyone actually bet money that he's going to be a good player for us? I doubt more than a handful.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-31-2008, 04:08 PM

Paco sees him out regularly at the mall, "would you like fries with that?"

Merlin
11-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Calling him a pansy is probably unfair, but he does have a huge injury history. He was injured when we drafted him and the sell was that he was a bargain because of it. He hasn't come close to playing even half a year of football. It's definitely not out of line to question whether he'll be a bust. WE drafted him in the first and he ahs athletic ability, so we have to give him multiple chances.

It looks like it is possible that his body can't hold up to NFL abuse and that his workout ethic may have left him vulnerable to injury. We can all hope that he comes back, contributes, and then grows to be a good even great player. Right now there is no evidence that it's going to happen. Would anyone actually bet money that he's going to be a good player for us? I doubt more than a handful.

I don't think the guy is a pansy maybe a little injury prone, er a lot injury prone. He also was a #1 pick in the top half (not by much) of the first round, so he was no bargain. You expect a 16th pick overall to play. He hasn't shown any athletic ability in his NFL career because he hasn't been on the field long enough. In fact, the guy hasn't shown anything since 2005 which was the only year he wasn't seriously injured. Played in 1-2 games in 2006 before tearing his bicep, Played well in 2005 (nothing spectacular statistically), Became a starter in 2004, missed 2.5 games with a bad ankle, 2003 wasn't a starter, appeared in 8 games, and broke his ankle finishing the season for him. His NFL career hasn't fared any better being inactive for 9 games in 2007, and at least 7 in 2008. He hasn't been able to fully participate in OTA's or training camp since his arrival. He has had a rash of injuries that aren't from playing the game which is also a concern. He signed a 5 year contract with 8 million guaranteed. I am willing to bet that he will be on our roster regardless of how he fairs at least through the 4th year of his contract. If he even shows signs of life, he will want a new contract. I also wouldn't hedge any bets that this guy is going to be much more then a body on the field. He definitely won't get many sacks, he has shown that he doesn't do well unless he is matched up one on one. If he gets chipped then engaged, he doesn't handle it well (lack of experience I am assuming), and he doesn't stuff the run any better then anyone else. This isn't 2005 and the Packers don't play in the SEC. Get his butt on the field, stay healthy and DO SOMETHING, then I will change my opinion. Up until now he has proven to be a big waste of space, but no the guy is no pansy.

Bretsky
11-01-2008, 08:16 AM
good post merlin

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, now needs to be Harrell's time to shine. I'm not ready to say now or never, but he's healthier than he ever has been with the Packers. To a great extent, the injury situation was expected, as he was drafted with that thing that was known to still affect his first season.

I really like the size and mobility I've seen in Harrell--as big as Pickett and noticeably quicker. The question is, does his size translate to strength? If so, we may have a guy who more than justifies the mid 1st round pick. If not, we still should have the second large bookend DT that the Bates/Sanders scheme calls for.

It's a great time to get him back--with Tennessee's effective running game and fairly immobile QB.

falco
11-01-2008, 05:25 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Ln2Oh4Wx3ni/340x.jpg

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 06:46 PM
He's a rare naturally big body. He could easily weight 330 and still motor.

Health is turning into a rather large concern. Some of the college stuff could have been fluky, but it's turning into a pretty convincing pattern.

Also, I'm not sure about his commitment to football. He just doesn't seem to want to work based on listening to his lockerroom pressers. It's not a good sign.

I saw a lot of potential. I still see a lot of potential, but he's going to have to prove it before I put any more faith in him. I'm in skeptical wait and see mode.

SnakeLH2006
11-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Health is turning into a rather large concern. Some of the college stuff could have been fluky, but it's turning into a pretty convincing pattern.

Also, I'm not sure about his commitment to football. He just doesn't seem to want to work based on listening to his lockerroom pressers. It's not a good sign.

I saw a lot of potential. I still see a lot of potential, but he's going to have to prove it before I put any more faith in him. I'm in skeptical wait and see mode.

So JH, what is your next screenname now that you lost faith in the "real" JH (if there is one)? Just curious?

This would be great topic, but I'll start here:

1) Legend Killer
2) Fuck Brett I Bought Him a Beer Years Ago and Didn't Buy Me One
3) Trollin' On Brett
4) TT's Boyfriend
5) 3 MVP's My Ass

All good one's for ya JH, as I like #1, and #2 is too long, but #3 seems appropriate...yes?? 8-) :lol:

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
good post merlin

HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN!!!

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM

Now this is more your style....you really put up good posts when BF isn't involved.

RashanGary
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Now this is more your style....you really put up good posts when BF isn't involved.

I call a spade a spade with Favre or anyone else. If you don't like hearing it about Brett, well, that's on you.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM

For $50, I'd be willing to call Derrick Frost a pansy.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I still see a lot of potential, but he's going to have to prove it before I put any more faith in him. I'm in skeptical wait and see mode.

Ummm, you've adopted his name as your own identity. Too late for wait-and-see mode, you are already all the way in.

RashanGary
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I still see a lot of potential, but he's going to have to prove it before I put any more faith in him. I'm in skeptical wait and see mode.

Ummm, you've adopted his name as your own identity. Too late for wait-and-see mode, you are already all the way in.

:) Yes, my initial read was dead wrong. Now, that I'm wrong and have given up, I'm in wait and see mode going forward.

RashanGary
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
He played OK when he was in though. Even shed a double team and made a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

red
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
well, he didn't get hurt today, well, not that we know of. so that should get him on the studs list

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I thought he looked fine. A little chunkier than in the past, but that's ok. I think he is a big boost to the unit as a credible big body to rotate in.

Patler
11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I thought he looked fine. A little chunkier than in the past, but that's ok. I think he is a big boost to the unit as a credible big body to rotate in.

Interesting observation, because they claim he is playing 10-15 pounds lighter than last year.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
maybe he just has hugely developed abdominals.

wist43
11-02-2008, 08:07 PM
The guy has fresh legs... all those other guys been out there slugging it out for 3 months.

2 tackles is impressive stuff though. For a 1st rounder, the guy has to be considered a bust.

Patler
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
The guy has fresh legs... all those other guys been out there slugging it out for 3 months.

2 tackles is impressive stuff though. For a 1st rounder, the guy has to be considered a bust.

Haynesworth was considered a bust until about half way through his fourth season. Harrell certainly has "bust potential", but he has a ways to go (or maybe not go?) before he can achieve it! :lol:

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
A guys' gotta have something to shoot for...

bobblehead
11-02-2008, 08:47 PM
xx

steve823
11-02-2008, 11:38 PM
He did good while he was in. Id say right now he is at a 49/51 % ratio of bust/good-above average player.

pbmax
11-03-2008, 09:29 AM

I think that matches Haynesworth's total yesterday. Should we start giving Mr. Harrell our Pro Bowl vote or should we wait another week? :lol:

sharpe1027
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that matches Haynesworth's total yesterday. Should we start giving Mr. Harrell our Pro Bowl vote or should we wait another week? :lol:

Signed.

You can't judge DTs by the number of tackles, especially in the Packer's system, which as I understand it, their job usually invovles eating as many blockers as possible to let the LBs make the play.

From what I saw of Harrell, he held his own, but didn't get much push. The only guy I saw getting push was Pickett. Given that this may be one of the best O-Lines we'll face all year and it was his first game back, I am cautiously optimistic that he can play well enough to get solid time in the rotation.

Fritz
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Interesting observation, because they claim he is playing 10-15 pounds lighter than last year.

Or maybe he looks bigger because people on this thread are saying he's got a big bust.