PDA

View Full Version : A PR Membership Observation

Tarlam!
10-30-2008, 07:14 AM
This is not football related, so, this thread starts in the RR.

I took the liberty of checking our membership files and I have a few conclusions to note.

Firstly, the site is, at first glance, attractive to new members. We have 31 pages of members at 30 to a page. do the math and that is over 900. But we do not have 900 active members.

If you dig into the bowels, you will see of those 31 pages of members, 15 pages of members have ZERO posts. The active members here are doing something wrong.

Mad and his crew ARE definately attracting new members. But we posters are not providing a friendly enough environment for them to hang around.

McDonald's has a corporate saying that I kinda like: "Marketing gets 'em in, Operations gets 'em back". I think the Marketing department here on PR is doing what it promised. I think the Ops department sucks and we need to get our game up to speed.

If I am Mad, I pull the plug on this operation, because we all have been li'l bitches. Me included. For the JSO refugees, this was our saviour site. We simply should not forget what it took to emmigrate here. We owe Harlan and Mad a tonne for doing all the behind the scenes work, so we had a posting home not called Packerchatters.

We now need to think why 450 people register, but refrain from posting.

I think we should discuss this objectively and where guests cannot see it (i-e- away from the Packers Room).

SkinBasket
10-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I think it's a fairly common thing to see on internet forums. A lot of people feel much more comfortable reading opinions than posting them or they simply don't have time to put into debating these things so they pop in to read up, then go and sound all smart at the water cooler.

Tarlam!
10-30-2008, 07:25 AM
I think it's a fairly common thing to see on internet forums. A lot of people feel much more comfortable reading opinions than posting them or they simply don't have time to put into debating these things so they pop in to read up, then go and sound all smart at the water cooler.

No question. But we don't have the luxery of being sponsored by a major newspaper ot TV station. So, maybe we should get smarter about our offering.

The core of us will remain until we die or die of boredom. We started out from a "big programme". We need to market this properly or we will become history.

mraynrand
10-30-2008, 07:56 AM
I send every new member a PM about the Great Pumpkin. Could that have a negative effect?

sheepshead
10-30-2008, 08:45 AM
:drma:

Partial
10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Most of those accounts are probably spam or bots.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
about 20 of them are mine

Deputy Nutz
10-30-2008, 11:51 AM

I took the liberty of checking our membership files and I have a few conclusions to note.

Firstly, the site is, at first glance, attractive to new members. We have 31 pages of members at 30 to a page. do the math and that is over 900. But we do not have 900 active members.

If you dig into the bowels, you will see of those 31 pages of members, 15 pages of members have ZERO posts. The active members here are doing something wrong.

Mad and his crew ARE definately attracting new members. But we posters are not providing a friendly enough environment for them to hang around.

McDonald's has a corporate saying that I kinda like: "Marketing gets 'em in, Operations gets 'em back". I think the Marketing department here on PR is doing what it promised. I think the Ops department sucks and we need to get our game up to speed.

If I am Mad, I pull the plug on this operation, because we all have been li'l bitches. Me included. For the JSO refugees, this was our saviour site. We simply should not forget what it took to emmigrate here. We owe Harlan and Mad a tonne for doing all the behind the scenes work, so we had a posting home not called Packerchatters.

I think we should discuss this objectively and where guests cannot see it (i-e- away from the Packers Room).

Tarlam this simply isn't the case. Sorry, and I certainly am not going to criticize Mad for the job he has done here, but this is still the best forum in regards to Packer football. It isn't going to be attractive to everyone, but I would rather be on a smaller forum, but one that is more active and personable. I know the attitude an personalities of 90% of those that post, I know who I can mess around with, and joke with, I know those that are total pricks. I am a member of other forums, some smaller, and some larger that people don't even pay attention to anything you post or anyone else's posts either, they are dumping grounds.

We are in the most part quite welcoming to new posters, those that care to introduce themselves. Maybe we start an introduction section of the forum where new members post a little intro and we can all say nice things about them and about the forum, make them feel good and safe.

SkinBasket
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Maybe we start an introduction section of the forum where new members post a little intro and we can all say nice things about them and about the forum, make them feel good and safe.

And then I'll PM them pictures of giant cocks.

GoPackGo
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Convince the handful of female members to flirt with the new people after they sign up.

problem solved

Fosco33
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Maybe we start an introduction section of the forum where new members post a little intro and we can all say nice things about them and about the forum, make them feel good and safe.

And then I'll PM them pictures of giant cocks.
http://mrana.typepad.com/bitbybit/images/2007/11/18/171rooster_3.jpg

Seems a rat would be more appropriate...

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/naked-mole-rat.jpg

Badgerinmaine
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
On other Internet forums I use, there is a similar situation. I agree that many people are more comfortable reading than posting, but I also think that people sign up for many things on the Internet that they use only for a while and move on from after trying them. That doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the sites; it just means that people hop around a lot on the Web. I have noticed that people make nice comments frequently when seeing someone's first post. I think it was Partial that did that for me when I got on here, and I appreciated that.

MadtownPacker
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Hard to attract newbies when the regulars are a bunch of fucking maniacs. :lol:

As a poster on this forum I am happy with the amount of people that post here but there is always room for more. Reading others thoughts/opinions on the Packers and the NFL helps me be one of those water cooler experts that Skin mentioned.

Deputy Nutz
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM

As a poster on this forum I am happy with the amount of people that post here but there is always room for more. Reading others thoughts/opinions on the Packers and the NFL helps me be one of those water cooler experts that Skin mentioned.

White people will make you smarter.

Fosco33
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM

Water cooler...

Its a 'bubbler' in WI (Milwaukee).

Mad - I think you meant the sprinkler :P

MadtownPacker
10-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Water cooler...

Mad - I think you meant the sprinkler :PAsshole!!! :lol:

"Bubbler" sounds hella gay. Why you WI doods always acting perverted?

retailguy
10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Water cooler...

They watch too much TV about "California Mexicans"? :shock: :twisted: :wink:

SkinBasket
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Water cooler...

They watch too much TV about "California Mexicans"? :shock: :twisted: :wink:

So does Mad.

MJZiggy
10-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Water cooler...

Mad - I think you meant the sprinkler :P

I thought the translation for bubbler was drinking fountain.