PDA

View Full Version : Time off from school...

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Shouldn't matter which canidate this is about. Is it really OK to take children out of school and bus them to a political rally?

DEFIANCE, Ohio -- "Where is Joe? Is Joe here with us today?"

That's the question John McCain asked roughly 6,000 people at Defiance Junior High School here this morning, But the correct answer was no -- Joe the Plumber was nowhere to be found.

There are conflicting reports about where or when or if Joe will appear with McCain at some point during his two-day bus tour of Ohio, but the candidate clearly thought that he was meeting him here in Defiance, the first stop on the tour.

While riffing on a common line from his stump speech about Obama's desire to "spread the wealth," McCain confidently proclaimed, "Joe's with us today. Joe where are ya? Where is Joe? Is Joe here with us today? Joe, I thought you were here today."

Then the senator covered up for Joe's absence by saying, "All right, well you're all Joe the Plumber. So all of ya stand up ,and say I thank you." McCain went on to say that he had seen Joe on TV this morning, and he asked the crowd to "give him a round of applause for what he's done for America.

McCain also hit Obama on some comments he made to ABC's Charlie Gibson last night when asked if he had thought about what he would do after November 4th if he lost. "Last night, Sen. Obama said that if he lost he would return to the Senate and try again in four years with a second act. That sounds like a great idea to me. Let's help him make it happen."

But Obama didn't tell Gibson that he'd make another White House run; he said he looked forward returning to the Senate and working with the next president and Congress.

"Look," Obama said, "when I started this campaign we were the longest of long shots, and Michelle and I were extraordinarily happy before I started running. And I'm a relatively young man. Ya know, they say there are no second acts in politics, but I think there are enough exceptions out there, that I could envision returning to the Senate and just doing some terrific work with the next President and next Congress."

A local school district official confirmed after the event that of the 6,000 people estimated by the fire marshal to be in attendance this morning, more than 4,000 were bused in from schools in the area. The entire 2,500-student Defiance School District was in attendance, the official said, in addition to at least three other schools from neighboring districts, one of which sent 14 buses.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/30/1616435.aspx

Deputy Nutz
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Are you really this far off your rocker? It was probably a very educational field trip. Have you ever taken government in school? Maybe even US social studies class?

It is our political process first hand.

mraynrand
10-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I think the kids should remain in class where they can learn what a rotten despicable, poverty stricken country this is - they could watch the Obama infomercial as a first lesson.

retailguy
10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I think the kids should remain in class where they can learn what a rotten despicable, poverty stricken country this is - they could watch the Obama infomercial as a first lesson.

Think of the WASTED MONEY. They probably could have bought brand new updated texbooks with the latest information about the chosen one.

What a bummer. :wink:

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Are you really this far off your rocker? It was probably a very educational field trip. Have you ever taken government in school? Maybe even US social studies class?

Had this been an Biden or Obama rally I doubt you'd feel the same.

SkinBasket
10-30-2008, 04:46 PM

right back at ya!

Deputy Nutz
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Not so, McCain, and Obama are both very inspiring people, in different ways of course, but the fact is when you have the ability to see and possibly meet a presidential candidate, you should, it is very memorable experience for many different reasons and I am sure that the kids from the middle schools were impacted by seeing McCain.

Please don't label me a Republican my image can't handle that around here.

MJZiggy
10-30-2008, 08:15 PM
I can agree with Nutz's sentiment. Even if you don't agree with the politics of the candidate...I remember a published picture of Clinton shaking Kennedy's hand while Kennedy was campaigning. People kept pictures of themselves with Reagan too, and maybe Bush I.

Joemailman
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I just hope they didn't go because they thought Joe The Plumber was going to be there. What a bummer...

GBRulz
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I see nothing wrong with it as long as the district has the money to do it.

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
I can agree with Nutz's sentiment. Even if you don't agree with the politics of the candidate...I remember a published picture of Clinton shaking Kennedy's hand while Kennedy was campaigning. People kept pictures of themselves with Reagan too, and maybe Bush I.

Bill Clinton was a month shy of his 18th birthday when he shook President Kennedy's hand... at the time he was in Washington, D.C. as a delegate from Arkansas to the Boys Nation Convention. He chose to be there.
I think there is a big difference between that scenario, and taking 4000 kids out of school, at tax payer expense, and busing them to a politcal rally.

HowardRoark
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Bill Clinton was a month shy of his 18th birthday when he shook President Kennedy's hand... at the time he was in Washington, D.C. as a delegate from Arkansas to the Boys Nation Convention. He chose to be there.
I think there is a big difference between that scenario, and taking 4000 kids out of school, at tax payer expense, and busing them to a politcal rally.

What do you think about this field trip for the kiddies?

http://californiacrusader.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/actual-video-footage-1st-grade-field-trip-to-lesbian-wedding/

bobblehead
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM

that was right before he went to russia to protest america in the vietnam war right??

MJZiggy
10-30-2008, 10:08 PM

http://californiacrusader.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/actual-video-footage-1st-grade-field-trip-to-lesbian-wedding/

I don't even have to click on that link to know it was child abuse. Weddings are far too boring for 6-year olds to mak them have to sit through them for anyone but family...

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Is that the best you can do??? ..... as long as parents signed the consent form.
Which, I guess, they had to do for the McCain rally.......
I've chaperoned, I can't begin to count, numerous 'field trips' in my day...one thing I've observed.......most were a waste of time. The majority of the kids just want to get to the gift shop......and have a great time on the bus ride. Mind you, I said 'majority'......not all.

oregonpackfan
10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I just hope they didn't go because they thought Joe The Plumber was going to be there. What a bummer...

Rumor has it that GBRulz is negotiating a record deal for Joe The Plumber! :lol:

HowardRoark
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM

Is that the best you can do??? ..... as long as parents signed the consent form.
I've chaperoned, I can't begin to count, numerous 'field trips' in my day...one thing I've observed.......most were a waste of time. The majority of the kids just want to get to the gift shop......and have a great time on the bus ride. Mind you, I said 'majority'......not all.

So, you are in favor of both. They are both educational.

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Actually..........GBR.......he is single........and not that bad looking...... :lol:

Sorry Zig.....he's way too tall for you! :lol:

packinpatland
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM

So, you are in favor of both. They are both educational.

I think I said something about parent consent forms and most field trips not being worth the time. And just to make it clear.....no.....not in favor of either.

Deputy Nutz
10-31-2008, 02:18 PM

So you are saying that field trips as a whole are a waste of time. Ok, I agree with this.

mraynrand
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
So you are saying that field trips as a whole are a waste of time. Ok, I agree with this.

I agree, except that a twelve hour trip to a rendering plant to work in the 'scraps recovery' bin, might serve to motivate the kids to work harder in school.

packinpatland
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM

I agree, except that a twelve hour trip to a rendering plant to work in the 'scraps recovery' bin, might serve to motivate the kids to work harder in school.

Now you're on to something........ :lol:
Years ago I suggested that instead of kids 'doing time' in detention, why not have them clean the school yard of debris. Needless to say.....it didn't go over well. Kids are coddled.