PDA

View Full Version : Greg Jenning's New Contract!

SnakeLH2006
10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
So what should/would/will we do??

Jennings is no doubtedly our best weapon on offense RIGHT NOW, and doubt ANYONE could argue that. He's a team player, a beastman to contain, and has proven that Brett the Jet WAS NOT the reason he makes big plays. Without him we are screwed. Driver is getting older, Grant is tepid at best, Lee is well a TE.

The facts are this, if healthy, G-Jenn (yep just coin-phrased it 8-)) is our and one of the top 10 playmakers in all the NFL.

According to this new article http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/33618699.html he is gonna wait till after the season, which is ok considering he's under contract through next year (2009).

What kind of money is he worth? I ask this question, because, he if he stays healthy will IMHO prove to be worth more money than all the big-game WR's making loot right now.

TO- 9 million
Randy- 9 million
Ocho Homo- 9 million
Roy Williams (1st, 3rd, 6th round picks in trade for one 1000 yard season...YAH GO COWBOYS :roll: )- 9 million

...etc...The best are declining and old/or way overpaid (Roy????)

But Dallas usually sets the market. If G-Jenn stays healthy, I have no doubt he'd command 11 million right now on an open market at his age (25) esp. in a year or two with a potentially uncapped market after 2009.

What do we need/should we pay him? I'd like 6 years, but would take 5 for 60 looking how (as shitty as OUR economy is, we all still sit at home or a bar and watch these mofo's so the NFL will only get bigger).

What's it gonna take keep him? I say 5 and 60 if he waits till next year, else if he caves 5 and 55. Big win for G-Jenn and us either way as he is the only thing that makes us ok on offense. Imagine him out or gone for the season. :cry: Thoughts??....

Brando19
10-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Damn you. Change the title...it's misleading!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought he had a new one.

Oscar
10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Same here with the title.. Got me hook, line, n sinker.. :lol:

falco
10-31-2008, 07:44 AM
greg jennings ain't signing a new contract anytime soon

cpk1994
10-31-2008, 07:45 AM
greg jennings ain't signing a new contract anytime soonand TT isn't going to begin working on one for him yet either.

falco
10-31-2008, 07:52 AM
greg jennings ain't signing a new contract anytime soonand TT isn't going to begin working on one for him yet either.

ahhhh, but i disagree...I think TT would sign him up in a heartbeat today - but he has decided to wait for his big payday of FA

sheepshead
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM

huh?? This is Jennings agent all the way. TT would sign him today if he could.

Rastak
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM

What, I agree with sheep!

He's got 20 mil laying around, the deadline approaches and Jennings is proving to be a top 10 guy in the league. He'd do something in a heartbeat but Jennings told him he didn't want an extension during the season. I would guess Rodgers will be the guy to open the back of the Brinks truck for his riches.

Tony Oday
10-31-2008, 09:51 AM

He's got 20 mil laying around, the deadline approaches and Jennings is proving to be a top 10 guy in the league. He'd do something in a heartbeat but Jennings told him he didn't want an extension during the season. I would guess Rodgers will be the guy to open the back of the Brinks truck for his riches.

I see them signing both of these guys to long term contracts this year. AR has proven he has the ability to be a Top QB in the NFL and Jennings is a top drawer talent that has to stay healthy.

sheepshead
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Stay with me my Packer Brothah, you'll soon see the light!

Pack-man
10-31-2008, 10:05 AM

No question about it, TT would sign him today if he could. His agent is waiting til the season is over. He'll try and get a real sweet deal. He may be a tough one to sign.

Rastak
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM

I see them signing both of these guys to long term contracts this year. AR has proven he has the ability to be a Top QB in the NFL and Jennings is a top drawer talent that has to stay healthy.

Doesn't look like it....maybe right after the season.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/33618699.html

COPYRIGHTED JSO CONTENT REMOVED

Gunakor
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM

No question about it, TT would sign him today if he could. His agent is waiting til the season is over. He'll try and get a real sweet deal. He may be a tough one to sign.

He won't be that tough to sign. If he deserves a sweet deal, TT will give him one. He certainly has the means to do so. It's not like we are renegotiating other contracts or letting players go to squeeze his new contract under our salary cap. Jennings IS a Packer, not just a guy in a Packer uniform, and he'll be around for quite some time to come. Bank on it.

cpk1994
10-31-2008, 10:22 AM

huh?? This is Jennings agent all the way. TT would sign him today if he could.I think you misunderstand me. What I mean is that TT will wait until closer to the end of the season. No reason to start now, especially with more chances now for Jennings to get injured than later.

Rastak
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM

huh?? This is Jennings agent all the way. TT would sign him today if he could.I think you misunderstand me. What I mean is that TT will wait until closer to the end of the season. No reason to start now, especially with more chances now for Jennings to get injured than later.

Because Monday is the deadline for applying it to this years cap and they have 20 mil free. That's why now is the time.

Patler
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Monday is only a barrier to negotiating changes in their 2008 salaries, and thus have it affect the 2008 cap. They have until the last day of the regular season to renegotiate various bonus provisions and have some or all of it apply to the 2008 salary cap.

For example, we have seen many teams including the Packers, push cap excess from one year into the next by using last week of the season renegotiations with lower roster players (the Packers used Craig Nall a couple times) to provide performance bonuses that they know will not be reached, but which are of the "likely to be earned" categories that require the bonus to be counted against the current cap. When not actually earned, the cap dollars are added to the next season cap for the team.

They could do the same in reverse, so to speak, by giving Jennings one for 2008 that they fully expect he will earn. It would count immediately against the 2008 cap.

Up to the end of the regular season, they can also negotiate a signing bonus for the new contract and have a portion count against the 2008 cap.

However, in the long run, it really doesn't matter, because most of any leftover cap dollars from this year will be bounced ahead to next year anyway, so the cap space will not be "lost" regardless.

RashanGary
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
If they can't get Rodgers, Jennings or Kampman done maybe they could get a couple smaller deals done now to use up some space and then focus on the monsters during the offseason.

The sooner you lock them up, the better the chance of having a decent deal for the team, but if the player wants to play hardball they WILL get more money elsewhere like Corey Williams and it probably will be a bad deal but it sucks to lose guys none the less.

The Gunshooter
10-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Jennings isn't waiting because he wants to. He is waiting because he knew Rodgers was next. Now that the cap money is gone, why wouldn't GB want to wait also? What this so-called "waiting" does is it stops the media from asking him about it 50 times a day.

Patler
10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Jennings isn't waiting because he wants to. He is waiting because he knew Rodgers was next. Now that the cap money is gone, why wouldn't GB want to wait also? What this so-called "waiting" does is it stops the media from asking him about it 50 times a day.

What do you mean in stating "Now that the cap money is gone...."?

falco
10-31-2008, 10:13 PM

in terms of being patlerized, this is the setup question..this is where patler gives you just enough rope to hang yourself :lol:

Patler
10-31-2008, 11:38 PM

in terms of being patlerized, this is the setup question..this is where patler gives you just enough rope to hang yourself :lol:

:lol: :lol: It's really not meant as a trap, or anything like that. I just want to make sure I know what is meant before I disagree with it!!! :lol:

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 02:59 AM

The money is going to Rodgers. 2008 cap dollars are not enough incentive to do something with Jennings right now, and he probably knew Rodgers had priority.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 03:12 AM

Thanks for the warning. I never would of guessed patler was a sadomasochist.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 03:16 AM
I never noticed it before but now I know why snoopy is pulling on his suspenders and smiling, he is giving himself a hinderbinder!

MJZiggy
11-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I've never thought of a wedgie as something to be smiling about. You guys must experience it differently or something...

Patler
11-01-2008, 09:20 AM

The money is going to Rodgers. 2008 cap dollars are not enough incentive to do something with Jennings right now, and he probably knew Rodgers had priority.

I doubt it is all going to Rodgers. They could and maybe still will get another contract done this year.
I agree the teams aren't that concerned with "using up" all of their cap dollars by rushing to get contracts done. They just defer the excess cap dollars from one season into the next season anyway.

mraynrand
11-01-2008, 09:45 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

Patler
11-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Only half! I also agree with one of his basic thoughts.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 03:11 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Patlerized.jpg

Not so fast. All Patler did is take my meaning out of context. What I meant is as far as re-signing Jenning is concerned, utilizing 2008 cap is not an issue because there is not enough left. That being the case GB has no incentive to extend him until after the season and I will bet he isn't re-signed any earlier than next summer. This, IMO, is why Jennings said he wants to wait, it is a positive approach to a potentially disruptive issue as opposed to being asked by the media about it 50 times a day, having the fans resent you, and prophesizing a knee injury like Javon Walker which then becomes reality because of all his negative energy.

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 03:15 PM
If you guys dont resign him you will regret it. He and Driver makes Rodgers or any QB look so much better with their grabs and YAC.
But you have time beyond this year right? So whats the Rush?

Patler
11-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Not so fast. All Patler did is take my meaning out of context. What I meant is as far as re-signing Jenning is concerned, utilizing 2008 cap is not an issue because there is not enough left. That being the case GB has no incentive to extend him until after the season and I will bet he isn't re-signed any earlier than next summer. This, IMO, is why Jennings said he wants to wait, it is a positive approach to a potentially disruptive issue as opposed to being asked by the media about it 50 times a day, having the fans resent you, and prophesizing a knee injury like Javon Walker which then becomes reality because of all his negative energy.

Now I have to disagree with your analysis. Ater Rodgers contract I suspect there will still be plenty left under the 2008 cap to sign at least one of Jennings, Collins, someone else or maybe even several. I will be very surprised if they used up the entire $20 million or so cap space on Rodgers' contract.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Now I have to disagree with your analysis. Ater Rodgers contract I suspect there will still be plenty left under the 2008 cap to sign at least one of Jennings, Collins, someone else or maybe even several. I will be very surprised if they used up the entire $20 million or so cap space on Rodgers' contract.

They had 19 mil before extending Rodgers. I'll bet they used up about 13-15 mil right there. That leaves about 4 mil for signing any vets that might shake loose like Grady Jackson did a few years ago. There is not enough 2008 cap left to be an incentive to sign Jennings before the season is over.

Jennings is taking the high road and I love it.

You are certainly free to agree or disagree.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
The deadline to write a contract and have it impact this year's cap is Monday.

Patler
11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
The deadline to write a contract and have it impact this year's cap is Monday.

No, not entirely. Only for salaries and the like. They can still structure a new contract to include signing bonuses and performance bonuses that impact the 2008 salary cap.

Patler
11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
They had 19 mil before extending Rodgers. I'll bet they used up about 13-15 mil right there.

I will be surprised if Rodgers contract has that much impact on the 2008 cap. It is entirely possible that it will, but I will be surprised if it does.

SnakeLH2006
11-02-2008, 12:57 AM
They had 19 mil before extending Rodgers. I'll bet they used up about 13-15 mil right there.

I will be surprised if Rodgers contract has that much impact on the 2008 cap. It is entirely possible that it will, but I will be surprised if it does.

QFT. According to details leaking out....it looks like ARod's 2008 salary is the same, and TT tore up his 2009 year to extend 6 years for between 63-67 million depending on who you believe with the facts. How much impact if any this has on 2008 is misleading. I'm sure they still have plenty of cash to extend G-Jenn if they want, and regardless of agents/stories....many deals even with Packers have been extended when "they" said we'll wait till next year. Would not be surprised (prob. 50-50) if G-Jenn is extended with a top salary over 6 years for 55 million THIS year.