PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Extended Through 2014

Farley Face
10-31-2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/10/31/1/

Edit: Thanks Brando19 for this update:

Here's the money....from PFT:

The contract signed Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers pay him big money. But not huge money.

But we’d take it if we could get it.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Rodgers will receive $20 million guaranteed on a six-year, $65 million deal.

The contract falls short of the deal signed last year by Tony Romo of the Cowboys, who’ll receiver $67 million over six years, and who got $30 million guaranteed. And Romo’s deal was criticized in some circles for not pushing north the high-water mark for high-end quarterbacks.

After three years of sitting on the bench (and losing plenty of money via unachievable play-time incentives), Rodgers likely opted to take what he could get now in lieu of pushing for free agency after the 2009 season.

Absent an extension to the CBA, Rodgers would have been eligible for restricted free agency only after next season, because the rules of the uncapped year (set for 2010) require players to have six or more seasons in order to achieve unrestricted free agency.

Zool
10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Should be interesting to see the numbers. Anyone want to throw out a guess?

Farley Face
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM

I'd guess Romo-like dollars, whatever that was.

taylor 31
10-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Guess this means they won't be bringing Brett back.

Tony Oday
10-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I think it is going to be a number that is good for both the Pack and AR...meaning a little discount built in for cash already paid ;)

boiga
10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
I felt that this might come today considering that we're at the deadline for using those 20 million in extra cap space and Jennings is holding out until after the season.

Good for Rodgers though. It's rather spectacular that we've managed to transition from one franchise QB to another so seamlessly.

CaliforniaCheez
10-31-2008, 02:17 PM
5 year extension.

A 50 million dollar deal with 15 million up front would be my guess. It will be incorporated into this season as a pay raise so the 15 will not count against the future cap.

Part of the 50 mil will be incentives.

The cap for this season is mostly chewed up. In 2 years the deal looks a lot beter for the Packers.

Just a guess now, don't yell at me when the real numbers come out.

]{ilr]3
10-31-2008, 02:27 PM

I'd guess Romo-like dollars, whatever that was.

Wasnt Romo's contract suprising low? I think it will be more than Romo's as I think Rodgers is a much better QB.

LL2
10-31-2008, 02:35 PM
This is a bit of a surprise. I can see why TT would do the deal...but I though Rodgers would wait. A 5 year deal locks him up until he's around 29 yrs old. After 2 good years he could ask for Peyton Manning numbers...which is around $15 mil a year.

RashanGary
10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
My guess:

36 mil base
up to 54 mil with incentives
10 guaranteed (probably counting against this years cap)

PackerTimer
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM
This is a bit of a surprise. I can see why TT would do the deal...but I though Rodgers would wait. A 5 year deal locks him up until he's around 29 yrs old. After 2 good years he could ask for Peyton Manning numbers...which is around $15 mil a year.

He also could get hurt or struggle next year. If it's me and somebody dangles enough money in my face, I'll just take it and run.

RashanGary
10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Hopefully we can lock up several core players either right now or in this offseason. The time to lock guys up is at least a year before UFA. We have next year with Jennings under contract and one more year with him as a franchise player. I would think this coming offseason would be the time and I would think something close to Rodgers deal would be appropriate. Collins, Bigby, Tramon, Jolly, Colledge, Spitz, Kampman, Pickett and Tascher are also coming up shortly.

Tony Oday
10-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Ill go with $17 million guarenteed 7 year contract avg $9.6 a year :)

SkinBasket
10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Collins, Bigby, Tramon, Jolly, Colledge, Spitz, Kampman, Pickett and Tascher are also coming up shortly.

Isn't Kampman in yr 2 of 4? Meaning he'll have 2 years left after this season?

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Isn't Kampman in yr 2 of 4? Meaning he'll have 2 years left after this season?

Year 3, I believe.

MOBB DEEP
10-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I felt that this might come today considering that we're at the deadline for using those 20 million in extra cap space and Jennings is holding out until after the season.

Good for Rodgers though. It's rather spectacular that we've managed to transition from one franchise QB to another so seamlessly.

QFT; def spectacular..good job TT

man, i need to learn how to download a rodgers avatar like everyone else...

Pack-man
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Guess this means they won't be bringing Brett back.

Brett who?

Brando19
10-31-2008, 03:54 PM

The contract signed Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers pay him big money. But not huge money.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Rodgers will receive $20 million guaranteed on a six-year, $65 million deal.

The contract falls short of the deal signed last year by Tony Romo of the Cowboys, who’ll receiver $67 million over six years, and who got $30 million guaranteed. And Romo’s deal was criticized in some circles for not pushing north the high-water mark for high-end quarterbacks.

After three years of sitting on the bench (and losing plenty of money via unachievable play-time incentives), Rodgers likely opted to take what he could get now in lieu of pushing for free agency after the 2009 season.

Absent an extension to the CBA, Rodgers would have been eligible for restricted free agency only after next season, because the rules of the uncapped year (set for 2010) require players to have six or more seasons in order to achieve unrestricted free agency.

KYPack
10-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I believe at this point, we usually have a noob posting

"If we can sign him at the veterans minimum"

LL2
10-31-2008, 04:20 PM

If I was Rodgers I would've chanced it and played the rest of the season and tried to get $12-13 mil a season.

Spaulding
10-31-2008, 04:32 PM
That seems like a hell of a deal for us. Only $20 million guaranteed is less than early first rounders get and although we've seen less than a dozen games of Rodgers I think most would agree that his future looks bright.

Rodgers gets paid with some insurance/security on his end and the Packers get what could be a huge discount in the long run. The risk/reward ratio is in my eyes definitely in the Packers favor. Even if Rodgers regresses or proves to be injury prone as some fear we're not on the hook for that long and were able to use excess cap from this year.

Farley Face
10-31-2008, 04:49 PM
That seems like a hell of a deal for us. Only $20 million guaranteed is less than early first rounders get and although we've seen less than a dozen games of Rodgers I think most would agree that his future looks bright.

Rodgers gets paid with some insurance/security on his end and the Packers get what could be a huge discount in the long run. The risk/reward ratio is in my eyes definitely in the Packers favor. Even if Rodgers regresses or proves to be injury prone as some fear we're not on the hook for that long and were able to use excess cap from this year.

I agree. The Romo deal was viewed as below market value at the time and he got the same years (6), 67 instead of 65 million, so basically a wash, but he got 30 mill guaranteed. He had a few more starts under his belt at the time but I think it is a fair yardstick.

The guaranteed money is similar to what they should expect to have to pay Jennings. Roy Williams got 5 years, 45 mill w/ 20 guaranteed.

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure it's a great deal--because Rodgers has only started 7 games. I'm glad it's done. Kind of reminds me of '93, I think, when Favre signed a big extension. They signed him to decent money before they were sure what they were getting. Of course, at that time Brett was an RFA and had the Saints knocking on his door.

Tony Oday
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure it's a great deal--because Rodgers has only started 7 games. I'm glad it's done. Kind of reminds me of '93, I think, when Favre signed a big extension. They signed him to decent money before they were sure what they were getting. Of course, at that time Brett was an RFA and had the Saints knocking on his door.

But we could be like other teams that don't have a starting QB and draft more guys in the first rounds and stick millions into them :)

rbaloha1
10-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Great move by TT. Brings stability to the organization. Should also attract big name free agents.

Next players to sign to long term deals are: Greg Jennings and Nick Collins.

boiga
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Hmm... Considering how much of a bargain this is on the face of it, I have to imagine that this contract has some spectacular incentives built in. 20 million just seems far too little guaranteed for a top tier QB.

I'm willing to bet that if Rodgers starts every game his end pay will be significantly higher than 65 million. Otherwise, it would seem that Rodgers got underpaid.

Partial
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
seems a bit high on the guaranteed cash. Otherwise, its about right I guess.

Players are way overpaid.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-31-2008, 07:17 PM

How so? Are you against capitalism?

gbgary
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure it's a great deal--because Rodgers has only started 7 games.

we all knew romo was the real deal after seven games (probably less)...i think the same thing holds true for AR. he's also the real deal.

Badgerinmaine
10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm much more interested in, and pleased by, the commitment to Rodgers than the financial details. I'm delighted to see the signing.

Lurker64
10-31-2008, 07:35 PM
20 million guaranteed isn't all that much for a quality starting QB. Those are probably the hardest part of a team to replace. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal for all involved.

Patler
10-31-2008, 07:36 PM
The Packers have made heavy use of bonuses tied to being on the game day active roster. This is not "guaranteed" money, but will be earned as long as he is not injured so as to be incapable of playing. I suspect he has a lot of money "virtually guaranteed" in that way, money that's not part of the $20 million guaranteed but almost certain to be earned.

If Rodgers continues along the performance lines he has so far, he won't get close to seeing the end of the contract. He will be "renewed and extended" a couple years early, just as now, just as Favre was and just as a lot of other top QB have been.

Partial
10-31-2008, 08:05 PM

No, I'm against all the inflation that has made 10 million of ten years ago 30 million of todays world.

Brando19
10-31-2008, 08:21 PM

They play games. They don't save lives or make a difference in the world. They're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid.

RashanGary
10-31-2008, 08:32 PM
These are things that a lot of teams are afraid to do until they absolutely have to and some other team is knocking. People call TT afraid, but I think he is one of the more gutsy GMs in the NFL. He wasn't afraid to go young when he took over the shitty roster even though many would point the finger at him and maybe the president would too, causing him to lose his job. He wasn't affraid to take a strong stand against Brett Favre even though he coiuld have lost his job over it. And now he's proving that he's not afraid to lock guys up early and build the team on forsight rather than overpaying in the UFA market where things seem more sure but come at a higher price that eventually takes away from the rest of the team. He has confidence in his forsight. It's a confidence that people think is crazy because they have no clue where he's going, but he is not afraid. That criticism has been completely off the mark IMO and this is more evidence against that.

The Packers seem to be in very good hands. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to strengthen the lines and put this team over the top.

DonHutson
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
They play games. They don't save lives or make a difference in the world. They're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpaid.

True, but then the owners are selling all the tickets and merchandise, and they're raking in the TV revenue. Shouldn't the players get their share?

What do you think this is, the NCAA? :wink:

MJZiggy
10-31-2008, 08:40 PM

True, but then the owners are selling all the tickets and merchandise, and they're raking in the TV revenue. Shouldn't the players get their share?

They should simply charge less for the tickets and merchandise....

Brando19
10-31-2008, 08:49 PM

Athletes who charge money for autographs or pictures when you see them out should be suspended.... :evil:

Brando19
10-31-2008, 09:04 PM
From PFT:

More details are trickling out regarding the contract signed on Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

We’re told that he’ll make $28 million over the next three years, and that the new money on his contract is $63.5 million over five years.

That’s an average of $12.7 million per year, which puts him currently in the top five of all NFL players.

Not bad for a guy with seven starts and four wins in his career.

Still, the contract is light on guaranteed money. Most elite players are getting $30 million or more guaranteed.

That said, Rodgers will be very well paid — if he stays healthy and if he remains effective.

GBRulz
10-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Athletes who charge money for autographs or pictures when you see them out should be suspended.... :evil:

and people who aren't considerate enough to leave the athlete alone when they are out and about on their private time should be bitch slapped.

Brando19
10-31-2008, 09:15 PM

and people who aren't considerate enough to leave the athlete alone when they are out and about on their private time should be bitch slapped.

Very true...BUT a fan who sees his favorite athlete (happened to my friend's son at a Charlotte Bobcat game) at the stadium before the game and they say they'll pose for a pic and an autograph for $20 should be suspended...and bitch slapped...and bitch slapped again.

GBRulz
10-31-2008, 09:16 PM
From PFT:

More details are trickling out regarding the contract signed on Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

We’re told that he’ll make $28 million over the next three years, and that the new money on his contract is $63.5 million over five years.

That’s an average of $12.7 million per year, which puts him currently in the top five of all NFL players.

Still, the contract is light on guaranteed money. Most elite players are getting $30 million or more guaranteed.

That said, Rodgers will be very well paid — if he stays healthy and if he remains effective.

Hopefully a big chunk of that $28 million will be absorbed into this years cap. Would be curious to know that though.

GrnBay007
10-31-2008, 09:17 PM

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/bitch-slap_1130536521.jpg

:P

GBRulz
10-31-2008, 09:28 PM

Very true...BUT a fan who sees his favorite athlete (happened to my friend's son at a Charlotte Bobcat game) at the stadium before the game and they say they'll pose for a pic and an autograph for $20 should be suspended...and bitch slapped...and bitch slapped again.

I see what you're saying, Brando but a lot of players, especially your high end ones, only sign at private signings these days. There is mucho money involved in autographs and why is it fair that only the "fans" can make the profit from them? I think it's wrong that people have the mentality that "we pay your salary, you owe us an autograph" type of thing.

From what I see around GB, players either sign or they won't, based on what their mood is that day. I've never heard of them saying they will sign IF money is involved. However, $20 isn't a lot to ask if you really want a pic and autograph from your favorite player. It weeds the autograph money hounds out IMO. Also, I've heard of players donating autograph money to charity, too.

GBRulz
10-31-2008, 09:29 PM

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/bitch-slap_1130536521.jpg

:P

LOL. I need about 20 copies of that, please :lol:

wist43
10-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Rodgers has been far better than I could have imagined... but given the system they run, it won't win them a championship.

He's proven he can manage a game okay, but midget ball requires a QB that can do more than manage a game, it requires a QB that can control a game, and ultimately win it - against other championship calibur teams, against power teams. I just see the Packers as being too finesse all the way around, and the power teams will continue to beat the snot out of them. I see Rodgers as being a part of that fatal flaw.

Never see Rodgers being good enough to win it all given the system they run... then again, I didn't see him lasting more than a few snaps b/4 crumbling in a heap of tears either. So who knows???

Brando19
10-31-2008, 09:33 PM

I see what you're saying, Brando but a lot of players, especially your high end ones, only sign at private signings these days. There is mucho money involved in autographs and why is it fair that only the "fans" can make the profit from them? I think it's wrong that people have the mentality that "we pay your salary, you owe us an autograph" type of thing.

From what I see around GB, players either sign or they won't, based on what their mood is that day. I've never heard of them saying they will sign IF money is involved. However, $20 isn't a lot to ask if you really want a pic and autograph from your favorite player. It weeds the autograph money hounds out IMO. Also, I've heard of players donating autograph money to charity, too.

I get your point...but then again I don't. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I feel if a player needs $20 for an autograph when they're making millions and millions...then they're too dumb to have that much money because they've totally mismanaged it. But again...who am I to say...I only make $40,000 a year, still love the NFL, and will grow old complaining about how much athletes get paid. :lol:

bobblehead
10-31-2008, 10:00 PM

They make a difference in my life every sunday. They make what people are willing to pay them. They work a lot harder for 10million than tom cruise does. They also can't fake their way into being paid (well...few exceptions). Its not like I don't know 5 struggling actors who could do any tom cruise film, look good doing it, ect...but if you are good enough to be an NFL player you make it...if not, nobodys uncle covers your ass. You think they are overpaid...don't pay their salary anymore.

bobblehead
10-31-2008, 10:03 PM

hmmm....they sell out every game, but they should sell the tickets for less so scalpers can buy them all and overcharge us...nice.

Harlan Huckleby
10-31-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to think of a way to argue that this deal justifies the Packer's decison to part with Favre.

Without some game experience, neither the Packers or Rodgers could set a market value for him. And probably Rodgers would be inclined to move-on at his next opportunity.

But unfortunately, the situation is muddy. Maybe the Packers could have kept Rodgers even with Favre here, perhaps even for cheaper.

What we know is that going with Rodgers appears to be working out well for the long term.

Brando19
10-31-2008, 10:39 PM

They make a difference in my life every sunday. They make what people are willing to pay them. They work a lot harder for 10million than tom cruise does. They also can't fake their way into being paid (well...few exceptions). Its not like I don't know 5 struggling actors who could do any tom cruise film, look good doing it, ect...but if you are good enough to be an NFL player you make it...if not, nobodys uncle covers your ass. You think they are overpaid...don't pay their salary anymore.

Damn...you must make the big bucks. :wink:

Gunakor
11-01-2008, 01:44 AM
From PFT:

Hopefully a big chunk of that $28 million will be absorbed into this years cap. Would be curious to know that though.

I'm sure it is. That would make perfect sense considering this extension was done just days before the deadline to put a player's "new" money on the 2008 books. I'm hoping that they chose to apply as much of the guaranteed money as possible on 2008, seeing as how they had 20 million to play with and nobody else wishing to renegotiate before the end of the season. We can eat up the majority of Rodgers' guaranteed money this year and have it off the books before we have to start renegotiating other players' contracts.

LL2
11-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I think it's possible that Arod could've played longer hoping for a better deal, but $11 mil per yr avg is still really good. The deal will end when he is around 30 yrs old and if he plays like a franchise QB for the next 6 yrs and possibly win a SB he'll be young enough to sign another blockbuster deal.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM

No, I'm against all the inflation that has made 10 million of ten years ago 30 million of todays world.

Really? Then why state players are overpaid? Are you complaining that the owners are reaping excessive profits due to inflation?

You really are an idiot.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-01-2008, 06:03 PM

Guess you are against capitalism. They get paid what the market deems correct.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-01-2008, 06:04 PM

Yep, no player, despite the average career of 4 years should ever try to maximize his earnings. :roll:

mission
11-01-2008, 06:26 PM

Yeah.

If Tyrone and I were both on the Packers instead of Jennings and Rodgers (along with other PackerRats posters), I'm SURE the Pack would still sell out all their games, sell a ton of my jerseys and there would still be websites devoted to talking about MY quarterback play.

Yeah. NFL players are so overpaid.

The money has to go somewhere. Might as well make devoting your life to an incredibly rigid lifestyle worth something.

People that have an opposing view on this really just don't understand economics at its core... it's pretty simple and I'm no econ genius ...

falco
11-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Yeah.

If Tyrone and I were both on the Packers instead of Jennings and Rodgers (along with other PackerRats posters), I'm SURE the Pack would still sell out all their games, sell a ton of my jerseys and there would still be websites devoted to talking about MY quarterback play.

The money has to go somewhere. Might as well make devoting your life to an incredibly rigid lifestyle worth something.

People that have an opposing view on this really just don't understand economics at its core... it's pretty simple and I'm no econ genius ...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brando19
11-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Yeah.

It just makes me upset that players make this much and still bitch and complain. Yeah boy, they have a real fucking bad lifestyle. Why don't you try going underground to mine coal for hours after hours. Oh wait...we don't need coal...just for ELECTRICITY! I guess there's alot of shit you don't understand.

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Damn...you must make the big bucks. :wink:

I wish...but I don't have to make NFL bucks to think they deserve it. And Partial...if you think any clowns can play and the league will work....well, 4lettes for you..........USFL!!!

Gunakor
11-02-2008, 01:12 AM

Yeah.

It just makes me upset that players make this much and still bitch and complain. Yeah boy, they have a real fucking bad lifestyle. Why don't you try going underground to mine coal for hours after hours. Oh wait...we don't need coal...just for ELECTRICITY! I guess there's alot of shit you don't understand.

But the consumer spends more money on luxury items and entertainment than they do on coal or electricity...

It's all consumer driven. As long as we humans crave entertainment, entertainers will be overpaid. It's what we spend our money on.

If we paid more on our electric bill, the electric companies would have more money to pay the coal miner. If we paid more for public education, the school districts would have more money to pay their teachers. But when they try to raise the rates/taxes on either we raise hell, because that leaves us with less money to spend on entertainment. Entertainment is where we'd rather spend our money, and is where a large chunk of it goes. That money has to go somewhere.

It's not the NFL's fault they rake in so much money, it's ours for spending it on NFL apparel and Miller Lite and Chevy trucks and anything else you see ads for when watching an NFL game(if you really have to blame someone). And it would be silly of them not to give the lions share of that money to those who deserve it - the players who create the product that brings in so much money.

Brando19
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Yeah.

But the consumer spends more money on luxury items and entertainment than they do on coal or electricity...

It's all consumer driven. As long as we humans crave entertainment, entertainers will be overpaid. It's what we spend our money on.

If we paid more on our electric bill, the electric companies would have more money to pay the coal miner. If we paid more for public education, the school districts would have more money to pay their teachers. But when they try to raise the rates/taxes on either we raise hell, because that leaves us with less money to spend on entertainment. Entertainment is where we'd rather spend our money, and is where a large chunk of it goes. That money has to go somewhere.

It's not the NFL's fault they rake in so much money, it's ours for spending it on NFL apparel and Miller Lite and Chevy trucks and anything else you see ads for when watching an NFL game(if you really have to blame someone). And it would be silly of them not to give the lions share of that money to those who deserve it - the players who create the product that brings in so much money.
Damn good argument. You just earned my respect by having a very intelligent post, proving your point, and doing it in a mature manner. Great post.

Merlin
11-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Well if he is putting up those types of numbers, then I am sure the Packers will re-negotiate his contract. I would think they would offer up a "lifetime" contract similar to what Favre got. Then again, who knows with this management. The front office seems to run only on what makes them money, not what wins them games. It will be interesting to see how much money the Packers make if they start a losing trend.