PDA

View Full Version : Good idea extending Rodgers?

Brando19
10-31-2008, 09:02 PM
From PFT:
More details are trickling out regarding the contract signed on Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

We’re told that he’ll make $28 million over the next three years, and that the new money on his contract is $63.5 million over five years.

That’s an average of $12.7 million per year, which puts him currently in the top five of all NFL players.

Not bad for a guy with seven starts and four wins in his career.

Still, the contract is light on guaranteed money. Most elite players are getting $30 million or more guaranteed.

That said, Rodgers will be very well paid — if he stays healthy and if he remains effective.

Partial
10-31-2008, 09:53 PM
It's good to lock him up but he's no where near a top 5 player. Not even top 50.

bobblehead
10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
It's good to lock him up but he's no where near a top 5 player. Not even top 50.

whereas I agree with you, a team MUST have a QB to be competitive....with a notable VERY few exceptions over the years. We won't have anyone else ready any time soon so this is a fair deal all around...we are going to sink or swim with the guy and that is that.

Do you feel the same way about jennings?? People on here are giddy to give him a huge contract and I feel like its too early yet...wait til camp next year. A WR isn't a QB so its not the same situation...the QB you honestly build the team around, a star WR can be neutralized much easier.

Brando19
10-31-2008, 10:41 PM

whereas I agree with you, a team MUST have a QB to be competitive....with a notable VERY few exceptions over the years. We won't have anyone else ready any time soon so this is a fair deal all around...we are going to sink or swim with the guy and that is that.

Do you feel the same way about jennings?? People on here are giddy to give him a huge contract and I feel like its too early yet...wait til camp next year. A WR isn't a QB so its not the same situation...the QB you honestly build the team around, a star WR can be neutralized much easier.

Have you seen Jennings play every Sunday? Lock that sum bitch up!

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2008, 10:44 PM

Not now, but only because he hasn't played enough. If he plays like he has for the rest of the season, you could make a case. He's on pace for 65 completion %, 3800+ passing yards, 27 passing TDs, just 9 interceptions, 250 rushing yards, and 7 rushing TDs. If he finishes with those numbers, people will consider him a top 50 player and probably a top 6-7 QB.

The more important question to ask is: will he be a top 5-7 QB for the next 6 years? It's certainly possible. Barring injuries, I'm almost expecting it at this point.

CaliforniaCheez
11-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Personally, I don't care about the size of his extension.

I'm not sure why people would get aroused by size and length of his extension.

Obviously, Rodgers was excited about his extension and will be playing with it this weekend.

It is his own private affair and I'm not sure the other players would appreciate his extension being waved in their face in the locker room.

Partial
11-01-2008, 02:17 AM

Not now, but only because he hasn't played enough. If he plays like he has for the rest of the season, you could make a case. He's on pace for 65 completion %, 3800+ passing yards, 27 passing TDs, just 9 interceptions, 250 rushing yards, and 7 rushing TDs. If he finishes with those numbers, people will consider him a top 50 player and probably a top 6-7 QB.

The more important question to ask is: will he be a top 5-7 QB for the next 6 years? It's certainly possible. Barring injuries, I'm almost expecting it at this point.

Agreed. That's fair. I still think 12 mil a year is a bit much. He's paid like a top 5 player someone said. If so, that's too high at this stage, even if you're compensating him for bench warming and missing out on bonuses, etc.

Lurker64
11-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Agreed. That's fair. I still think 12 mil a year is a bit much. He's paid like a top 5 player someone said. If so, that's too high at this stage, even if you're compensating him for bench warming and missing out on bonuses, etc.

Strictly speaking the deal averages 10.8 million dollars a year, which is significant because that's much closer to the deals David Garrard and Tony Romo signed (both ~20 million), and the full details aren't really available to us, so we don't really know how much of the 65 million is part of the last year, a year that Rodgers will never play under this current contract. It's common behavior in the NFL to make give contracts a ridiculously overpaid final year in order to make the agent happy so he can say "We got so much money for such and such a player" with full knowledge that the player will either be extended or cut before that final year is served.

So until we get a year by year breakdown it's hard to say how ridiculous this contract is. It seems like it's about the going rate for a promising up and coming starting NFL QB given Romo and Garrard's contracts.

Badgerinmaine
11-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Obviously, Rodgers was excited about his extension and will be playing with it this weekend.

It is his own private affair and I'm not sure the other players would appreciate his extension being waved in their face in the locker room.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am firm in my belief that any of us would be excited to have such an extension on our hands. I am sure it will give all of us long-lasting pleasure.

Tarlam!
11-01-2008, 06:52 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am firm in my belief that any of us would be excited to have such an extension on our hands. I am sure it will give all of us long-lasting pleasure.

It just went "click". :lol:

sheepshead
11-01-2008, 07:14 AM
From PFT:
More details are trickling out regarding the contract signed on Friday by Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

We’re told that he’ll make $28 million over the next three years, and that the new money on his contract is $63.5 million over five years.

That’s an average of $12.7 million per year, which puts him currently in the top five of all NFL players.

Not bad for a guy with seven starts and four wins in his career.

Still, the contract is light on guaranteed money. Most elite players are getting $30 million or more guaranteed.

That said, Rodgers will be very well paid — if he stays healthy and if he remains effective.

So wait a minute, is the conclusion here that we only resign "top 5 players" or "stars" where did this criteria come from?

MJZiggy
11-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Considering what we have on the team behind him and what's available on the open market these days, I'm glad we have him locked up for a while. I'm not so concerned about how long he's played because the coaches have had 3 years to watch him practice and work with scout teams, so the games he's played only tell them whether he can do all the things they've seen him do on the practice field in games. Since they extended him, I gotta think they've seen what they want.

Pugger
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
And isn't only his signing bonus guaranteed? And wouldn't it cost us a lot more if TT waited until after this season??

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Rodgers is probably going to continue to get better. It's kind of suprising, but he could easily outperform this contract by quite a bit. Also, in his first year he has a chance to have a higher QB rating than Favre ever had in his 17 year career. His TD to INT ratio has a chance to be better than Favre's ever. His completion percentage could easily be in the top 2 or 3 of Favre's career seasons.

If you compare Rodgers stats now to Favre's over the last 10 years, Rodgers is clearly putting up better numbers. If you compare Rodgers to the best seasons Favre ever had, he's still in the conversation as far as having similar play.

It's kind of scary how good he's playing thus far, with the injured shoulder to top it off. Yikes! Well, it's scary to Vike/Bear fans anyway.

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Rodgers is probably going to continue to get better. It's kind of suprising, but he could easily outperform this contract by quite a bit. Also, in his first year he has a chance to have a higher QB rating than Favre ever had in his 17 year career. His TD to INT ratio has a chance to be better than Favre's ever. His completion percentage could easily be in the top 2 or 3 of Favre's career seasons.

If you compare Rodgers stats now to Favre's over the last 10 years, Rodgers is clearly putting up better numbers. If you compare Rodgers to the best seasons Favre ever had, he's still in the conversation as far as having similar play.

It's kind of scary how good he's playing thus far, with the injured shoulder to top it off. Yikes! Well, it's scary to Vike/Bear fans anyway.
Nah, we not scared until he starts winning against us. But Do you guys think this is jumping the Gun? I have had to just explain to Bear Fans why signing Orton to a new contract is crazy right now and here go the Packers signing Rodgers who has almost identical numbers to Orton, just with better WR personnel.

GMs really are jumping the gun lately.

Patler
11-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Nah, we not scared until he starts winning against us. But Do you guys think this is jumping the Gun? I have had to just explain to Bear Fans why signing Orton to a new contract is crazy right now and here go the Packers signing Rodgers who has almost identical numbers to Orton, just with better WR personnel.

There is a huge difference. Orton is a BEARS' quarterback. What really is the probability that he will have any type of prolonged success at all??? :lol: :lol:

I will admit, I am mildly surprised that Rodgers contract was done now, and not next off season with a full seasons' performance to look at. On the other hand, it is a good one to get out of the way and may show others like Jennings, Collins, Bigby, etc. that the Packers are committed to maintaining the team at a highly competitive level. Stability at QB can attract other players to a team.

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 06:37 PM

There is a huge difference. Orton is a BEARS' quarterback. What really is the probability that he will have any type of prolonged success at all??? :lol: :lol:

I will admit, I am mildly surprised that Rodgers contract was done now, and not next off season with a full seasons' performance to look at. On the other hand, it is a good one to get out of the way and may show others like Jennings, Collins, Bigby, etc. that the Packers are committed to maintaining the team at a highly competitive level. Stability at QB can attract other players to a team.
Stop jinxing us man! Orton is the truth I tell ya! :roll: --lol.
And I think Jennings is really looking for a BIG payday. It was very telling from his words early this year. The Packers will have to go deep in their pockets for him. I hate to say this about a Packer player without snickering, but that kid will be a top WR for a while with ANY serviceable QB. All he does is make plays.

gex
11-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Another thread where Favre was not mentioned in untill now. :roll:
Trollin' tonight are we JH?
Again
Let it go, jh, let it go

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM

You guys beat BF twice last year, I would be VERY scared that this QB won't giftwrap any TD's for Uhrlacher.

SnakeLH2006
11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I couldn't vote because I don't like the poll.

He's not a star right now. I'm not mad cuz he's not a top 5 player. I'm not disappointed to wait, cuz I'm glad they locked him up for a fair market deal.

Snake's Take:

I'm glad they reworked his contract and gave him a decent deal for both parties, but the poll questions were poor IMO, thus an inability to vote.

SnakeLH2006
11-01-2008, 11:43 PM

I'm a big Brett and ARod fan, but to compare the 2 after 7 starts or head to head is one thing. But to compare that over a HOF career is just stupid. The jury is out till the end of the year, but to say his "pace" is better than not only Brett but many great seasons by good QB's is asinine.

Stick with you bro Justin Harrell and let's see if makes ANY plays this year, till you go off on how ARod is the 2nd coming of Christ.

I like ARod, but c'mon man, those comparisons are homeristic till he plays a full season as a starter. :lol:

gex
11-02-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm very surprised at the results of this poll.
To be calling A-rod a star is extremely premature IMO.

The kid has only played 7 full games, and while they have for the most part been pretty good outings, we are about to be 4-4.

I am glad we locked him up, but for this poll the "its to early to tell" option should be winning. Pass me some more of that kool-aid,please. :D

BF4MVP
11-02-2008, 12:58 AM
we are about to be 4-4.

I disagree with that. The Pack are winnin this game!!!

SnakeLH2006
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm very surprised at the results of this poll.
To be calling A-rod a star is extremely premature IMO.

The kid has only played 7 full games, and while they have for the most part been pretty good outings, we are about to be 4-4.

I am glad we locked him up, but for this poll the "its to early to tell" option should be winning. Pass me some more of that kool-aid,please. :D

Hahaha..I couldn't pick any of the 3 options...but Arod kool-aid sounds tasty. Hopefully it's spiked full of TD's tommorrow, Gex? Pass that shit!!! :lol:

gex
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
we are about to be 4-4.

Damn I hope so, but that is tough match up on the road, and with us hurting.

Gunakor
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
we are about to be 4-4.

Damn I hope so, but that is tough match up on the road, and with us hurting.

We are healthy and rested after the bye week. Al Harris should be back, as well as Atari Bigby. AJ Hawk has had a couple weeks to rest the groin and should be in the best shape he's been in since early September. Justin Harrell has been activated and is reportedly in the best shape he's ever been in as a Packer. It was a timely bye week, and this team is not hurting so badly anymore.

gex
11-02-2008, 03:11 PM
we are about to be 4-4.

8-)

Iron Mike
11-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Nah, we not scared until he starts winning against us.

He started. :wink: