PDA

View Full Version : KGB

The Shadow
11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Pro Football Weekly is reporting that KGB has been cut and Harrell activated.
Any confirmation yet?

mraynrand
11-01-2008, 12:15 PM
PACKERS ACTIVATE DT HARRELL, RELEASE DE GBAJA-BIAMILA

The Green Bay Packers have activated DT Justin Harrell from the physically unable to perform list and released DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Saturday.

Harrell appeared in seven games, including two starts, as a rookie in 2007.

In nine seasons with the Packers, Gbaja-Biamila appeared in 124 career games, including 74 starts. He is the franchise’s all-time sacks leader with 74½, having passed Reggie White (68½) in 2007.

“We want to thank Kabeer for his contributions to the Green Bay Packers,” Thompson said. “During his time here, he has been a big part of our organization and our community. We wish Kabeer and his family well.”

In leaving the organization, Gbaja-Biamila issued the following statement: “My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words. I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community. During my time here, I’ve built relationships with a number of people in the Packer family. The front office executives, G.M.s, coaches, past and present players, the enormous support and administrative staff plus the greatest fans in football, all have helped make my time here truly special and I am thankful for that. It has been a very positive experience. I was able to build a family here and grow with a community that I call home. Again, I’ve been truly blessed. I don’t know what my football future holds, but one thing I’ve realized is that football is more than a game — it’s about building relationships and changing lives. One of the commitments I’ve had throughout my career has been to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is something that I intend on doing whether on the field or not. God bless the Green Bay Packers!

Patler
11-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Any confirmation yet?

If correct, they must like Pettway a little bit.
I've seen two comments that he has been outstanding in his few ST opportunities so far.

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, I'm suprised just because it never even crossed my mind, but looking on it with hindsight it sort of makes sense. He's really sucked ass this year.

mraynrand
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
It doesn't shock me much. I didn't think KGB would make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season anyway.

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Somewhat surprising, but not shocking. KGB hasn't been the same, and I think they feel they can get some of the same things with Jason Hunter that they can with KGB. Always a class act. Sad to see him go, but he'll be in the Packers Hall of Fame some day.

The Shadow
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Are we now officially a younger squad than a iunior high team?

Patler
11-01-2008, 12:20 PM
They must have felt that KGB would not come around as a pass rusher this season at all. As bad as they need to improve in that area, if they felt he had any chance to regain some of what he had, they wouldn't have released him.

A really first class individual.

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Are we now officially a younger squad than a iunior high team?

Tausch, Cliffy and Al Harris are getting into the danger zone too. If Thompson finds some answers at these positions so we don't have to keep these aging guys around, we could be the youngest team in the NFL for yet another year :shock:

It's going to turn around eventually, but as Wolf's last additions depart and we only have 4 or 5 Sherm guys around, they're going to be very young. That 5 year era of Packer GM decisions has had a dramatic effect on the balance of this roster, even still. It's not so devastating to the overall team because MM and TT have worked together to get a lot of production out of a young team, but man, what acctually happened during that Sherm era is so blatantly dreadfull just by looking at the age groups on this team.

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree though, great Packer. Great teammate. It's sad to see him go. That injury last year combined with age did him in.

HarveyWallbangers
11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
They must have felt that KGB would not come around as a pass rusher this season at all. As bad as they need to improve in that area, if they felt he had any chance to regain some of what he had, they wouldn't have released him.

Probably tells us that they like Pettway on STs, and that they think Hunter and Jeremy Thompson can replace KGB's pass rushing snaps. Makes some sense.

Patler
11-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Probably tells us that they like Pettway on STs, and that they think Hunter and Jeremy Thompson can replace KGB's pass rushing snaps. Makes some sense.

I agree, no real shock to the move based on performance to date by KGB. Anyone can replace what he has provided in 2008.

Fosco33
11-01-2008, 12:32 PM
He's had a good career with GB and his final statement is really the way you want to go out. I bet a struggling team will sign him but his best years are in the rearview mirror.

falco
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
KGB = Kiss his ass GoodBye

that was a weak attempt at humor :cry:

vince
11-01-2008, 12:43 PM
“My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words. I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community. During my time here, I’ve built relationships with a number of people in the Packer family. The front office executives, G.M.s, coaches, past and present players, the enormous support and administrative staff plus the greatest fans in football, all have helped make my time here truly special and I am thankful for that. It has been a very positive experience. I was able to build a family here and grow with a community that I call home. Again, I’ve been truly blessed. I don’t know what my football future holds, but one thing I’ve realized is that football is more than a game — it’s about building relationships and changing lives. One of the commitments I’ve had throughout my career has been to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is something that I intend on doing whether on the field or not. God bless the Green Bay Packers!
Now THAT is going out with grace. Right back at you KGB. Thanks for your faith, loyalty, dedication, reverence and on-the-field contributions to the Packer family.

LL2
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
“My nine years as a Green Bay Packer have been a blessing that is beyond words. I thank God for bringing me to this first-class organization and first-class community. During my time here, I’ve built relationships with a number of people in the Packer family. The front office executives, G.M.s, coaches, past and present players, the enormous support and administrative staff plus the greatest fans in football, all have helped make my time here truly special and I am thankful for that. It has been a very positive experience. I was able to build a family here and grow with a community that I call home. Again, I’ve been truly blessed. I don’t know what my football future holds, but one thing I’ve realized is that football is more than a game — it’s about building relationships and changing lives. One of the commitments I’ve had throughout my career has been to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and that is something that I intend on doing whether on the field or not. God bless the Green Bay Packers!
Now THAT is going out with grace. Right back at you KGB. Thanks for your faith, loyalty, dedication, reverence and on-the-field contributions to the Packer family.

I second that! He is a class act. I am a bit surprised, but such is life in the NFL.

Iron Mike
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Flashback to Training Camp 2000 and Larry McCarren calling him "The Beer Man." :D

VegasPackFan
11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
KGB is a class act and it is really sad to see him go. I love his statement, it shows just how much of a quality man he is, and in a way, what a quality sports franchise the Packers are.

Patler
11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I didn't think KGB would make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season anyway.

I didn't either. Makes you wonder what is different now than 8 weeks ago. At the end of camp, KGB was clearly struggling with a bum wheel. Cutting him then would have saved about $6 million. They must have believed he would get better as the season progressed, and now must be convinced he won't.

LL2
11-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I didn't think KGB would make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season anyway.

I didn't either. Makes you wonder what is different now than 8 weeks ago. At the end of camp, KGB was clearly struggling with a bum wheel. Cutting him then would have saved about $6 million. They must have believed he would get better as the season progressed, and now must be convinced he won't.

Do they owe KGB his entire salary? What is he sign with another team?s

SD GB fan
11-01-2008, 01:13 PM

from the few games i watched, it seems that KGB explodes off the ball the fastest among all of the Dlinemen. He still seems to be a decent pass rusher and has the ability to time the snap (aside from the penalties). He just never finished the play for some reason. I think the coaching staff was waiting for him to finish those plays when he gets over his injury. I guess they are beyond that point now. Thanks KGB for your contributions to the Packers.

boiga
11-01-2008, 01:27 PM
KGB's problem was that he only had one move: the speed rush to the outside. The opposing tackle always knew it was coming during passing downs and the predictability allowed him to be washed too easily.

Now that he's lost a half step with age, he can't even pull the speed rush anymore which leaves him as just a liability against the run.

Nevertheless, I don't see how this can help out pass rush any. Sure KGB can't get to the QB anymore, but neither can anyone else on the right side of our D-Line. One less body isn't going to improve anything.

Still, I'll miss that big Bubba Gump presence in the locker room. He did right by the Packers and was a good guy, for a born again fundy. I wish him well in the future.

Tony Oday
11-01-2008, 01:42 PM
When a guy goes out like that you almost hope he gets a job in the front office or something to stick around.

Thanks for the Memories KGB.

Bretsky
11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Any confirmation yet?

well there is one heck of an upgrade :lol:

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 02:42 PM
It doesn't shock me much. I didn't think KGB would make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the season anyway.

I wanted him cut before the draft and his money go to Michael Turner but what do I know.

The Gunshooter
11-01-2008, 02:50 PM

from the few games i watched, it seems that KGB explodes off the ball the fastest among all of the Dlinemen. He still seems to be a decent pass rusher and has the ability to time the snap (aside from the penalties). He just never finished the play for some reason. I think the coaching staff was waiting for him to finish those plays when he gets over his injury. I guess they are beyond that point now. Thanks KGB for your contributions to the Packers.

Charging upfield out of the play he can do. He has to be able to dip down, plant and pivot with that bad knee to close the pocket and he can't do it any more.

pack4to84
11-01-2008, 03:13 PM
One more jersey I own that doesn't play for the Packers anymore.
4 (1 white, 2 green, 1 reversible)
30 (2 green)
94 (1 white, 1 green)

Badgerinmaine
11-01-2008, 03:21 PM
It probably was time for him to go, but what a great presence he was on and off the field in his time. Thanks, KGB.

Partial
11-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Sad to see a Packer great go. I'll have a beer for the all-time leader in sacks in GBP history tonight.

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
9.5 sacks last year despite playing only passing downs. I'd think he could catch on somewhere.

RashanGary
11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I hate to bring this thread down with more of the same garbage abotu the same pampered brat, but it's amazing how a long serving player can go out iwth class and dignity when their head isn't so big that they think everything is owed to them. Really, this was refreshing and a very good example of what we come to expect from great guys and great teammates. Unfortunately, not every guy in the lockerroom is and sometimes we think we know a person and they are completely different. True colors show in times like these. Brett Favre really stained his legacy as a great teammate and every Packer taht goes out with class reminds me of what a POS Brett Favre is.

Patler
11-01-2008, 03:57 PM
9.5 sacks last year despite playing only passing downs. I'd think he could catch on somewhere.

Someone will probably give him a chance because of that, but if you look at 2007 closely his productivity dropped to virtually zero last season after he was hurt, and he never got anything back this year after a couple off-season "cleanup" surgeries.

I really think he is done physically.

Lurker64
11-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I hate to bring this thread down with more of the same garbage abotu the same pampered brat, but it's amazing how a long serving player can go out iwth class and dignity when their head isn't so big that they think everything is owed to them. Really, this was refreshing and a very good example of what we come to expect from great guys and great teammates. Unfortunately, not every guy in the lockerroom is and sometimes we think we know a person and they are completely different. True colors show in times like these. Brett Favre really stained his legacy as a great teammate and every Packer taht goes out with class reminds me of what a POS Brett Favre is.

Good post except for the last sentence. The last sentence is unnecessary, it would be better to leave it off and allow people to draw their own conclusions. Everybody who read the previous few sentences and knows you knew where you were going there, sometimes it's a more useful rhetorical technique to just elect to not go there in these cases, and allow people to draw their own conclusions.

KGB went out in an amazingly classy manner. That's to his credit. Not everybody does that, and that's too bad. Because Mr. Gbaja-Biamila went out with kind words and a positive attitude, that leaves me with nothing but good feelings about him and his career with the Packers, and I wish him well. Sometimes when players leave on bad terms and they have bitterness in their hearts, they sometimes act in ways that beget bitterness in the hearts of people who would otherwise think of them fondly. This is too bad.

That's all you really need to say.

Patler
11-01-2008, 04:25 PM

Good post except for the last sentence. The last sentence is unnecessary, it would be better to leave it off and allow people to draw their own conclusions. Everybody who read the previous few sentences and knows you knew where you were going there, sometimes it's a more useful rhetorical technique to just elect to not go there in these cases, and allow people to draw their own conclusions.

KGB went out in an amazingly classy manner. That's to his credit. Not everybody does that, and that's too bad. Because Mr. Gbaja-Biamila went out with kind words and a positive attitude, that leaves me with nothing but good feelings about him and his career with the Packers, and I wish him well. Sometimes when players leave on bad terms and they have bitterness in their hearts, they sometimes act in ways that beget bitterness in the hearts of people who would otherwise think of them fondly. This is too bad.

That's all you really need to say.

Wise advice.

DonHutson
11-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hell of a career for a 240 pound, 5th round DE that was cut during his rookie year.

Good luck to him in the rest of his life. He's a bright, charitable guy. I'm sure he'll have no trouble filling his time with worthwhile activities.

pbmax
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Do they owe KGB his entire salary? What is he sign with another team?s
At the risk of being Patlerized (tm), I believe KGB's entire salary was guaranteed when he was on the opening week roster. And now that its past the trading deadline, he will need to clear waivers. If he does, he can negotiate a new agreement. If someone claims him, then they pick up a pro-rated portion of the salary.

And he will be missed. Seemed like a very good person, a very good pass rusher and very good in public for the Packers. And a great nickname.

texaspackerbacker
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, he's a part of recent history, and by all indications, a good teammate and good character guy, but even when he was injury-free, he cost us probably more offsides penalties as he got sacks. It seemed like the solid majority of his sacks came in mop-up times--not very often when the game was on the line.

I have likened him to a baseball hitter with "warning track power"--a lot of near misses, not many sacks, at least at crucial times.

And this year, he hasn't even been near that good.

MOBB DEEP
11-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, he's a part of recent history, and by all indications, a good teammate and good character guy, but even when he was injury-free, he cost us probably more offsides penalties as he got sacks. It seemed like the solid majority of his sacks came in mop-up times--not very often when the game was on the line.

I have likened him to a baseball hitter with "warning track power"--a lot of near misses, not many sacks, at least at crucial times.

ever the cynic eh??

God Bless u kabeer

mraynrand
11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
. It seemed like the solid majority of his sacks came in mop-up times--not very often when the game was on the line.

Remember the NFC Championship game last year? KGB came up big time with a sack in the closing minutes. The Packer offense just couldn't take advantage of it. You pay a guy like KGB all that money to make just a handful of plays like that. And he did, for a lot of years. Yeah, a little sporadic but he had some great plays. Nothing left this year for sure.

red
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
finally

i've been waiting for this move for almost 3 years now

gbgary
11-01-2008, 06:05 PM
i was surprised when i heard the news. wasn't surprised that somehow a Brett reference was issued. if there was a thread about some proposed new roofing material to be used on Lambeau someone would mention Brett.

red
11-01-2008, 06:07 PM
i was surprised when i heard the news. wasn't surprised that somehow a Brett reference was issued. if there was a thread about some proposed new roofing material to be used on Lambeau someone would mention Brett.

well, you honestly couldn't put a new roof on the stadium without the tens of millions of dollars that brett brought to this franchise over the years

gbgary
11-01-2008, 06:09 PM

well, you honestly couldn't put a new roof on the stadium without the tens of millions of dollars that brett brought to this franchise over the years

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif why i otta...

gex
11-01-2008, 06:29 PM

I don't think his name was muttered untill the #1 hater brought it into the conversation.

Talk about an obsession.

Let it go JH, let it go.

KYPack
11-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I've been real down on KGB ever since he's been relegated to 3rd down. That's a lotta jack for a part-timer. that said, sacks are like gold to any team and the DCoordinator.

When the one trick pony couldn't do his one trick, he had to be cut.

I, too, thought they could have made that determination in September. An aging DLineman, KGB wasn't gonna come back and we could have used that cap space for Greg J and other deals we need to get done.

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 10:59 PM

JH- I like some of your posts, but by not just letting it go you are showing the same lack of class you despise in BF. Drop it, he is a jet, move on. Be the bigger man just like KGB was here, then I will regain the immense respect I had for your posts before BF tried his "comeback".

bobblehead
11-01-2008, 11:06 PM
OK, that being said....I'm going to miss KGB, but his play obviously didn't get back to his preinjury effect. Speed rushers are huge in "mop up" time as they make it really hard to come back on a team...tex, I think of KGB(and hopefully Hunter next) more like a closer....they are dominant on 3rd and 7, and late in a game with a 4 point lead.

I hope this is a statement as much about Hunter as it is about KGB cuz we need that specialist. Pettway must be strong on ST...does this make Jarret Bush expendable??

mraynrand
11-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Pettway must be strong on ST...does this make Jarret Bush expendable??

Not yet. They do different things on teams. Bush is the gunner. If you watch that guy, it's really fun - especially at the game where you can see him dominate on teams. Guys cannot block him. Reminds me of Marcus Wilson - rarely saw the field, but really contributed to special teams. Bush will go if the Packers have a glut at d-back, and I don't see that happening just yet with Harris at 34.

SnakeLH2006
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM

JH- I like some of your posts, but by not just letting it go you are showing the same lack of class you despise in BF. Drop it, he is a jet, move on. Be the bigger man just like KGB was here, then I will regain the immense respect I had for your posts before BF tried his "comeback".

QFT. Who is the bitter one, eh, JH?

Anyway, good luck KGB...always liked ya and am kinda surprised by this move. Without 2008 cap figures yet, did this have something to do with extending ARod and maybe going after Jennings or others this year?

Regardless too bad, KGB couldn't stop a run if they called out the play, but was still our #2 pass rusher, bum knee and all. Hope someone steps up.

Tarlam!
11-02-2008, 01:34 AM
What Lurker said. KGB, all the best to you and yours! Thanks for all the sacks, QB hurries and tackles. You are all class and I hope you wind up with the Packers in some other capacity. You deserve it, and as a fan, it would enrich my Packer experience knowing you were around to put your special stamp on my favourite team.

SnakeLH2006
11-02-2008, 01:47 AM
What Lurker said. KGB, all the best to you and yours! Thanks for all the sacks, QB hurries and tackles. You are all class and I hope you wind up with the Packers in some other capacity. You deserve it, and as a fan, it would enrich my Packer experience knowing you were around to put your special stamp on my favourite team.

I agree wholeheartedly. KGB is Packer peeps. I'm sure he plays 2 more years in an undescript role, yet will be back with the recent Packer alums ala Leroy, Freeman, Santana, etc. to extend Packer cheer in one way or the other. Thanks for the good memories KGB.

cpk1994
11-02-2008, 05:13 AM

I don't think his name was muttered untill the #1 hater brought it into the conversation.

Talk about an obsession.

Let it go JH, let it go.Pot calling kettle. Come in kettle.

That said, Im suprised and probably the only one who thinks this is a dumb move as DL needs all the warm bodies it can get right now.

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Since when did Harrell move to the linebacker spot? You put the best 11 men on the field and keep the best 53 wherever possible. If the front office felt that KGB wasn't showing enough lately to justify his spot and salary, then the right thing to do is let him go. He only played third down and the one coming in can play all downs (caveat: provided he stays healthy). What are we gonna do, cut a wideout because we need bodies on the DL?

Fritz
11-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Nobody predicted this that I can recall on any Packerrats thread this week. When disucussing Harrell coming back, most folks seemed to favor Bush or Pettway getting cut. So I will step up and say, sure, in hindsight I can see the logic of it, but emotionally I'm a bit surprised.

I think Patler is probably right that TT and MM were probably hoping KGB would come around as the season went on - that his knee would heal and he'd improve. However, I like to think too that TT has a bit of a heart and maybe a tiny, tiny bit of his reasoning was that KGB has been the good soldier and should be given an extra shot.

It's a logical move. I must say MM maybe foreshadowed it this week when he talked about wanting to make sure the active guys were going to include excellent special teams players. Thus, they keep Petteway and Hunter over KGB. And I'm glad that the Pack is focusing on ST. It's a part of the game that too often gets ignored.

KGB was hellacious in his prime, coming off the snap so fast and around the corner. And a class act, too. A real man.

Bretsky
11-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Nobody predicted this that I can recall on any Packerrats thread this week. When disucussing Harrell coming back, most folks seemed to favor Bush or Pettway getting cut. So I will step up and say, sure, in hindsight I can see the logic of it, but emotionally I'm a bit surprised.

I think Patler is probably right that TT and MM were probably hoping KGB would come around as the season went on - that his knee would heal and he'd improve. However, I like to think too that TT has a bit of a heart and maybe a tiny, tiny bit of his reasoning was that KGB has been the good soldier and should be given an extra shot.

It's a logical move. I must say MM maybe foreshadowed it this week when he talked about wanting to make sure the active guys were going to include excellent special teams players. Thus, they keep Petteway and Hunter over KGB. And I'm glad that the Pack is focusing on ST. It's a part of the game that too often gets ignored.

KGB was hellacious in his prime, coming off the snap so fast and around the corner. And a class act, too. A real man.

TT is calculated; I'm not convinced he has much of a heart and that is part of what makes him effective

Iron Mike
11-02-2008, 08:08 AM
http://trouble.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/14SD1.jpg

In Soviet Russia, KGB cuts Packers.

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Not so sure, B. You hear of players that were cut and the reason for the timing of the early cut was so they'd have a chance to latch on somewhere else. I've seen interviews where he's talked about how much he hates cutting players and I gotta think this one was a hard cut to make--and if he were that cold about it, I don't know that KGB would have expressed as MUCH love as he did for the team. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a class act, but he did have some extremely nice things to say.

Bretsky
11-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Not so sure, B. You hear of players that were cut and the reason for the timing of the early cut was so they'd have a chance to latch on somewhere else. I've seen interviews where he's talked about how much he hates cutting players and I gotta think this one was a hard cut to make--and if he were that cold about it, I don't know that KGB would have expressed as MUCH love as he did for the team. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a class act, but he did have some extremely nice things to say.

That have a chance with another team line is one everybody effectively uses

The way KGB went out is a reflection on him as a class act

Fritz
11-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I think you're guilty of a bit of stereotyping here, B.

I also think thought that TT tries to put the emotions aside as much as possible when making his decisions. It doesn't mean he doesn't have a heart; it means he tries to let that play as little as possible into his calculations.

And a good thing for the Packers that this is so. GM's and owners that govern from the heart and "feelings" are guys that end up with re-treads peppering the roster and fat sal cap numbers.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2008, 08:35 AM
I wanted to kill Mike Sherman for matching the Eagles offer for KGB when he was a restricted free agent in 2003. They were going to have to send the Packers a 1st and a 3rd if I remember right, but no, Sherman gives a Kabeer an ass load of money to get 11 sacks a year and to get dominated in the run game. sherman most likely would have wasted those picks anyways.

I simply don't care if KGB told the Packers to go fuck themselves, he is no longer a Packer and what he did would be considered a good P.R move. He wants to catch on with another team, and second he probably wouldn't mind coming back to the Packers either in the front office, a coach, or in public relations.

What really makes me sad is this Packer "Hall of Famer" just got cut for Justin Harrell.

KGB was a huge presence on the defense in the locker room. I wonder if this move has a negative emotional effect in the locker room.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Fritz
11-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Nutz, I don't think you're right - I think Shermy upped KGB before any of that stuff came into play with the draft picks. I could be wrong, though.

As with so much in football, whether cutting the dude is a good idea will depend on the future - how it works out. If KGB catches on somehwere and gets ten sacks this season and Justin Harrell just gets hurt, it'll be a bad move. If KGB gets no interest at all and Harrell contributes strongly, it'll be a good move, or if the special teams with Pettway and Hunter are awesome, it'll be a good move.

One could argue this was more Pettway instead of KGB than Harrell instead of KGB.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Nutz, I don't think you're right - I think Shermy upped KGB before any of that stuff came into play with the draft picks. I could be wrong, though.

As with so much in football, whether cutting the dude is a good idea will depend on the future - how it works out. If KGB catches on somehwere and gets ten sacks this season and Justin Harrell just gets hurt, it'll be a bad move. If KGB gets no interest at all and Harrell contributes strongly, it'll be a good move, or if the special teams with Pettway and Hunter are awesome, it'll be a good move.

One could argue this was more Pettway instead of KGB than Harrell instead of KGB.

The Eagles were going to make the deal with KGB, so yeah I am right because I remember Andy Reid saying that if Packers would have tagged him with the two first rounder tag they weren't going to persue, but with the 1st and 3rd they were going to go after him.

Patler
11-02-2008, 09:30 AM

The Eagles were going to make the deal with KGB, so yeah I am right because I remember Andy Reid saying that if Packers would have tagged him with the two first rounder tag they weren't going to persue, but with the 1st and 3rd they were going to go after him.

The Eagles never made an offer, but KGB did visit with them. He was a restricted free agent, and the Packers options were to make qualifying offers that would set their compensation if they lost him at a pick in the round he was taken, a first round pick, or a first and a third. There was no option for them to set it at two firsts.

The Packers chose the middle, a single first round pick, which Reid said he would have been willing to give up for KGB. He said at the time he probably would not have been willing to give up a first and third, however.

Merlin
11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Nothing surprises me with Thompson anymore. Short on depth on the DL? Cut one to bring one on. KGB is a class act and always has been. He is not an every down pass rusher and he didn't look as explosive this year, but then again, who does on our DL? There are other positions we could have cut, say QB. He just signed Rodgers basically for the rest of his "premier" years, why keep two rookies who don't play on Sunday? We needed the depth at DL because of injuries at that position that have haunted us for two seasons now. Doesn't make sense to me.

DonHutson
11-02-2008, 09:46 AM
The Packers chose the middle, a single first round pick, which Reid said he would have been willing to give up for KGB. He said at the time he probably would not have been willing to give up a first and third, however.

The lowball offer was mistake #1. Mistake #2 was Sherman's misguided notion that by paying KGB like an everydown DE he would inherently become one.

If only it were that easy.

KGB was a one dimensional pass rusher, but a very talented one. The best years of his career were in large part wasted by leaving him on the field to get pounded in the run game down after down.

DonHutson
11-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Nothing surprises me with Thompson anymore. Short on depth on the DL? Cut one to bring one on.

With Montgomery and Hunter coming back to supplement the increasingly satisfactory play of Jeremy Thompson, DE isn't really a need any more. Add in the fact that Pettway, Hunter, and Montgomery are all effective special teams players, and there's not much room left. If KGB was destined to take a backseat to all four, he likely would not have even been active most Sundays.

prsnfoto
11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Absolutely great General Manager skills by TT he gave the guy 6 million dollars because he was a class act and the Packers are so rich they can afford to piss it away it is not like they could have used it to extend Jennings we don't need his sorry ass anyways. :roll:

prsnfoto
11-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Talk about an obsession.

Let it go JH, let it go.

He can't this is what happens when your momma lays down with her brotha result=JH, but hey he might actually fucking play a down this week!

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Absolutely great General Manager skills by TT he gave the guy 6 million dollars because he was a class act and the Packers are so rich they can afford to piss it away it is not like they could have used it to extend Jennings we don't need his sorry ass anyways. :roll:

Ummmmm....by Jennings, I'm assuming you are referring to the player who said he would NOT be willing to redo his deal before the end of the season?

Patler
11-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Well, considering KGB was second on the team in sacks in 2007 and second in QB hurries, I can understand why TT would have wanted to give him a chance to get healthy from the off season surgery before deciding if he was washed up or not. If he could have regained his 2007 form, he would have been very valuable. He played pretty well in 2007 before getting hurt.

Besides, if the Packers lose Jennings, it won't be because of too little cap room. It will simply be because the Packers decide they don't want to pay that much for him.

DonHutson
11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Besides, if the Packers lose Jennings, it won't be because of too little cap room. It will simply be because the Packers decide they don't want to pay that much for him.

There's always someone that will pay more than is sensible for any player. There's no reason to think Jennings doesn't want to be here, but he's being a tad bit coy about doing anything too soon.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 11:37 AM
=If correct, they must like Pettway a little bit.

Maybe. I think it is more that KGB can no longer take the field without being a huge liability. HE's done.

(But I still think KGB was onsides on that one play earlier this season! :lol: )

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 11:40 AM
We needed the depth at DL because of injuries at that position that have haunted us for two seasons now. Doesn't make sense to me.

KGB may be worse than than guys on practice squads around the league.

Merlin
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
You don't like the guy HH, I get it. That doesn't mean he is "worse than than guys on practice squads around the league."

Guiness
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Way off - he could at times be a game changer. The notion that his sacks came when it didn't matter is a crock. Yes, he tended to get them in bunches on games that he 'owned' the tackle, but he had the ability to end an offensive drive.

And a class act. Some seem to think he'll go elsewhere, but I think he is done, and he's going to realize that himself and walk away. Unless some playoff bound team picks him up as a vet to shore their line, I don't think we'll see him on the field again.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 09:27 PM
You don't like the guy HH, I get it. That doesn't mean he is "worse than than guys on practice squads around the league."

KGB is a one dimensional player, all he has had the last several years is a speed rush.

Now he has lost his speed.

KGB is a veteran in midseason, the Packers have to play KGB's salary even after cutting him. If he had anything to offer, why the hell would they make this painful move?

If he is better than practice squad guys, then some team will pick him up for a roster spot. I am not expressing an opinion, just stating the obvious. We will see.

Zool
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Ridiculous. His salary or salary desires are what will keep him off a team.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Ridiculous. His salary or salary desires are what will keep him off a team.

If KGB can still play, it is well worth it for him to hook on with another team, even for the vet minimum. He is not going to get another shot in the NFL by sitting at home.

But in all likelhood it is retirement time.

Zool
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
He's a 9 year vet. He's not going to take the vet minimum. He would only latch on to another team if he can get a ring, or a big check.

bobblehead
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM

That have a chance with another team line is one everybody effectively uses

The way KGB went out is a reflection on him as a class act

I think he does the best he can to allow good people every chance to succeed and get paid without hurting the team. He certainly does have compassion. I honestly believe he is brilliant in his approach to things. Allowing guys to get season credits towards pensions, allowing guys to make a little extra when they are hard workers ect....he just doesn't go so far as to hurt the team while doing it.

I'll put it another way...the way he handles a deshawn wynn and the way he handles a KGB are entirely different and for a good reason.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 09:40 PM
He's a 9 year vet. He's not going to take the vet minimum. He would only latch on to another team if he can get a ring, or a big check.

He is guaranteed a salary from GB for this season, money is not an issue for this year.

He isn't going to find a way to a ring or big check by dropping out.

bobblehead
11-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Well, considering KGB was second on the team in sacks in 2007 and second in QB hurries, I can understand why TT would have wanted to give him a chance to get healthy from the off season surgery before deciding if he was washed up or not. If he could have regained his 2007 form, he would have been very valuable. He played pretty well in 2007 before getting hurt.

QFT patler....prsn..this is possibly the worst post in this thread. We had a ton of cap room, KGB is a class act all the way who might have returned to valuable form (but didn't). To complain about TT in this case is even dumber than when most people complain about TT.