PDA

View Full Version : Lions have a new QB

red
11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
from espn

Culpepper, Lions agree to two-year deal to put him at the helm

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Less than two weeks after announcing that he's coming out of retirement, quarterback Daunte Culpepper has a new home.

NFC North blog

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

Culpepper agreed Saturday to a two-year deal with the Detroit Lions. Terms of the deal, scheduled to be signed on Monday, are unknown.

Culpepper canceled a scheduled trip to Kansas City to instead visit the Lions earlier in the week.

Culpepper left the Lions on Tuesday without a deal but kept in touch, trying to find a home for this season and next season. After several days of negotiations, Culpepper agreed that Detroit was the best fit for him.

In September, Culpepper announced his retirement after being offered only one-year deals. Culpepper felt ignored despite his belief in his skills, and when he couldn't find a long-term home he announced his retirement at the age of 31.

In agreeing to a deal with Culpepper, the Lions have a quarterback to help finish this season and take them into next season. Culpepper, a former Vikings starter, has great knowledge of the NFC North.

red
11-01-2008, 06:13 PM
smart move IMO, for a change

i'm not a giant fan of his, but he's head and shoulders better then anyone else they have active there

gbgary
11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Lions have a new QB

no...they have another tired, old QB. he won't make any difference.

Tony Oday
11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
No they have a never could read a defense, only was good with an ELITE WR corps and a great line, fumbling, over the hill QB.

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Lions have a new QB

It will be leaps and bounds better than what they have. Any improvement is an improvement. Besides what does it matter when they are in the derby to get the top QB in next years draft? :roll:

MJZiggy
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Who's playing GM in Detroit right now?

Tony Oday
11-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Lions have a new QB

It will be leaps and bounds better than what they have. Any improvement is an improvement. Besides what does it matter when they are in the derby to get the top QB in next years draft? :roll:

You mean like the bears will be in a year after the wheels fall off this year? I have seen a QB recently in Chitown recently that has had a couple of good games and is now on a bench...

KYPack
11-01-2008, 07:06 PM

Tom Lewand COO.

Many observers think the Kitty's will make a clean sweep, hire a new GM and let him get the new coach & staff.

No, they won't do that, it'd be the right way to do things

Brando19
11-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Brett Favre

Tony Oday
11-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Brett Favre

No Brett "prima donna" Favre is going for Comish or god...he hasnt decided ;)

digitaldean
11-01-2008, 08:57 PM
At least they have a QB who knows enough not to run out of the end zone...

He'd end up fumbling out of the end zone before he could run it out.
:rs:

Dabaddestbear
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Lions have a new QB

You mean like the bears will be in a year after the wheels fall off this year? I have seen a QB recently in Chitown recently that has had a couple of good games and is now on a bench...
Correction, he had 5 games with a rating of 100 or better that year and then he self destructed. Keep in mind, he still took his team to the SB. Last I looked no QB on the Pack squad has even accomplished half of what he has in a season yet. So watch your step on poo pooing on present day QB's.

Fast forward to today. Kyle Orton is much more sound and sees the field exceptionally well. There is a reason why he passes to an average of 7 different receivers each game. He doesn't stay locked on to anyone for too long. No apparent favorites.

And we will wait and see who's wheel's will fall off this season. :?:

Jimx29
11-01-2008, 09:22 PM
welcome back "the roll".....or not

MJZiggy
11-01-2008, 09:33 PM
In order to do a roll they have to score a touchdown first. :idea:

SkinBasket
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM
If they have any illusions that Peppernater is going to any better leading this team than Kitna was, they're no better off than before they fired that disgusting sham of a GM. I guess they've really got no choice though. Do you take the unseasoned Pollack or the busted ass black dood without an agent who's going to have to labor to drop back more than 3 steps?

Tony Oday
11-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Lions have a new QB

Correction, he had 5 games with a rating of 100 or better that year and then he self destructed. Keep in mind, he still took his team to the SB. Last I looked no QB on the Pack squad has even accomplished half of what he has in a season yet. So watch your step on poo pooing on present day QB's.

Fast forward to today. Kyle Orton is much more sound and sees the field exceptionally well. There is a reason why he passes to an average of 7 different receivers each game. He doesn't stay locked on to anyone for too long. No apparent favorites.

Just because you have a long snapper doesnt mean he took you to the SB...It was called a defence and Special teams...and it failed BAD in the SB...

SnakeLH2006
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Somewhere warm on an ocean front with plenty of margaritas, Matt Millen is going "DAMN, if I would have made this move I'd still be the GM in Detroit." :shock: :lol:

Dabaddestbear
11-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Lions have a new QB

Just because you have a long snapper doesnt mean he took you to the SB...It was called a defence and Special teams...and it failed BAD in the SB...
Uh, and this Packers team will take you to the SB when? :roll:
I cant stand Rex for some of his bone headed plays, but he still has accomplished more than Rodgers. And keep in mind that it wasnt the offense that lost the Superbowl. It was the run defense. Did you even watch it, or are you just a follower of the norm?

Anyway that was then. THIS is now. Orton has turned out to be quite good QB for us. So if you want to criticize some issues of the Bears criticize the team of today not yesteryear, for we can go all day pulling stuff from the past about both teams that aren't so glorious. Today the Bears offense is far from the problem even without no true establish weapon on that side of the ball. The defense has underperformed and needs to step it up for us to continue to progress forward. They only 3 games they lost was by the total of 9 points in the last minutes of each. If they right that ship on closing out games they are in the drivers seat.

Fritz
11-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Zig, KY is right but a guy named, I think, Martin Mayhew is the one actually playing GM though it may be a team effort. And because it's the Lions, it's a team effort at futility.

I think it's an okay move. Stanton is their next big QB hope, but he's not ready according to the OC. Orlovsky is - my favorite line - "just a guy." A professinal backup.

Iron Mike
11-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Somewhere warm on an ocean front with plenty of margaritas, Matt Millen is going "DAMN, if I would have made this move I'd still be the GM in Detroit." :shock: :lol:

Shouldn't MM be on his hunting land scouting out sites for the upcoming hunting season???? :?

DonHutson
11-02-2008, 09:35 AM
As a fantasy owner of Calvin Johnson, I can only ask "when can Daunte start?"

Get that man a helmet, and get him out there.

Merlin
11-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Haven't the Lions traded away most of their #1 WR picks by now? Culpepper makes sense if Mike Martz was there, it makes zero sense now. He can chuck the rock but without good WR's, he is going to suck.

Fritz
11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I see Jim Colletto being pressured to call more and more bombs to Calvin. Kinda the Randy Moss theory - throw five or six of these hail marys a game, and hope he comes down with a couple and gets flags on a couple.

It's a plan.