PDA

View Full Version : Is McCarthy too conservative in key situations?

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Why when on the road does McCarthy not go for it on a 3rd and 10 with 3 minutes left in the game and on the 44 yard line? McCarthy pulls back and plays it safe with the screen pass that never works ever, and takes the ball out of Rodgers hands when he was completing passes and driving us down the field. If he has Rodgers throw a pass 20 yards downfield and it gets picked off who cares? It's like a punt anyway. Well, McCarthy, you played to not lose and you lost, are you happy?

mission
11-02-2008, 03:17 PM
He kinda looks down syndrome ...

dissident94
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I was pissed as well. Was he scared of the sack. Who cares about getting sacked at that yard line. A good punt still puts you in the same situation. I hated that call

MOBB DEEP
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
GET SINGLETARY!!!!

red
11-02-2008, 03:19 PM
i agree

play not to lose,

or win

GBRulz
11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
So, is it M3's fault that the D dropped 3 INT's? That Rodgers turned the ball over twice?

It was a well fought game, but against a team like TN, we have to capitalize on everything.

red
11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
So, is it M3's fault that the D dropped 3 INT's? That Rodgers turned the ball over twice?

It was a well fought game, but against a team like TN, we have to capitalize on everything.

he needs to tighten the reigns on his ship

most of those were mental mistakes, he needs to make sure those are minimized

its one thing if its just one or two guys. but when multiple guys are making multiple mistakes, then that has to fall on the coaching as well as the players

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM

I don't recall saying it was McCarthy's fault that those things happened. Yes we need to capitalize on everything in a game like this. However, we have the ball and a chance to win it at the end and McCarthy pulls back and plays it safe by throwing a screen pass that I don't recall ever working this year. Rodgers was on target with a lot of his passes that drive too. Instead of having no confidence in your QB and playing to lose like he did, why not grow some balls and go for the win. If you lose, at least you can say you tried everything you could do to win.

Pacopete4
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
can I bump my, "Were we fooled" thread?

GBRulz
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
some of the mental mistakes were improved today. Much less penalties than usual.

mission
11-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Can I bump my "MM shouldnt call the plays" thread that NO ONE replied to and laughed off as absurdity...

???

Over and over again ... I'm sure it's all coincidental.

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 03:29 PM

I don't recall saying it was McCarthy's fault that those things happened. Yes we need to capitalize on everything in a game like this. However, we have the ball and a chance to win it at the end and McCarthy pulls back and plays it safe by throwing a screen pass that I don't recall ever working this year. Rodgers was on target with a lot of his passes that drive too. Instead of having no confidence in your QB and playing to lose like he did, why not grow some balls and go for the win. If you lose, at least you can say you tried everything you could do to win.

It depends. If no one is open downfield, you dump it off short. I don't blame him at all if he didn't have an open receiver. Better to do that than take the sack--and I have seen that play work, usually with Driver across the middle. Now if they really always run that play in that situation to the point of predictability...

australianpackerbacker
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
One of McCarthys biggest flaws in my opinion is his inability to finish, he doesnt have that killer instinct and thats why we are put in those situations. I mean what the fuck was going on right there it was at the 43 yard line and we punted, at least if we went for a FG it wouldnt feel like conceding defeat. He plays like he's scared to lose, not like he's going for gold. FUCK! His conservative play-calling at inopportune times and his lack of a killer instinct has cost us 4 games that i can think about off the top of my head. We need a running game to make this guy look good and i think thats kind of why we arent seeing the full potential of his play-calling, cos right now hes trying to win two-dimensional with a one-dimensional team.

GBRulz
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm with you, channtheman. I've been one to criticize his conservative play calling on many occasions. but today, I don't think we'd be bitching about the play calling as much if we had stepped it up and capitalized on some opportunities.

Pacopete4
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Can I bump my "MM shouldnt call the plays" thread that NO ONE replied to and laughed off as absurdity...

???

I'm one that agrees with ya Mission... its redundant horshit week in, week out

mission
11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

???

It's really sickening to me... as in, my stomach hurts at times. It's stressful. I need to be more casual of a fan or Ill end up with an ulcer if I dont have one already. :?

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm with you, channtheman. I've been one to criticize his conservative play calling on many occasions. but today, I don't think we'd be bitching about the play calling as much if we had stepped it up and capitalized on some opportunities.

I know what you're saying and yes if we don't drop all the INT's or Rodgers doesn't throw one up to Grant in double coverage and then fumble right after, we probably win. But did anyone else see the blatant pass interference on Jennings where the defender was grabbing his arm? How the ref doesn't call that I have no clue.

Pacopete4
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM

I know what you're saying and yes if we don't drop all the INT's or Rodgers doesn't throw one up to Grant in double coverage and then fumble right after, we probably win. But did anyone else see the blatant pass interference on Jennings where the defender was grabbing his arm? How the ref doesn't call that I have no clue.

how bout the PI that shoulda been called on Chillar that wasnt?

GBRulz
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah, but still, I think jennings should have caught that. On the other hand, we got away with a PI call against TN, too. Chillar, I believe.

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:35 PM

???

It's really sickening to me... as in, my stomach hurts at times. It's stressful. I need to be more casual of a fan or Ill end up with an ulcer if I dont have one already. :?

Isn't that the truth. Sometimes I wish I was a more casual fan and didn't care so much so I didn't have the whole day ruined from a stupid loss. Can you post the link to your thread, I think I missed it but I'd like to read it.

red
11-02-2008, 03:35 PM

yup, the ref really screwed the pooch on that one

probably cost us the game. seemed pretty damn obvious to me

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM

I was recording the game and rewatched that so many times. Chillar never even made contact with the receiver.

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
yeah, but still, I think jennings should have caught that. On the other hand, we got away with a PI call against TN, too. Chillar, I believe.

Chillar never hit the guy, but on Jennings PI no call the guy was grabbing his arm. It makes it a little hard to catch when you want to bring your hand around to the ball but someone is pulling it back.

Pacopete4
11-02-2008, 03:37 PM

I was recording the game and rewatched that so many times. Chillar never even made contact with the receiver.

:roll:

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:39 PM

:roll:

? I don't get it. If you go and watch that play you'll see that Chillar never even hit the receiver and the ball was high so he wouldn't have caught it anyway.

mission
11-02-2008, 03:39 PM
The receivers arm on that play was FULLY outstretched and he still wasnt even able to put a finger on the ball ... I have no idea how all the announcers were clamoring for interference when it was obviously not catchable.

Al Harris seemed to be a detriment today. 38 was rusty when he was in and him fucking up that interception just aint team playin ...

australianpackerbacker
11-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Thats not the point. In the last 10 minutes of the game that did not factor in. Your coach should be the only thing on your football team thats as close to perfect, not your qb, not your wr's or rb's. Our coach took us out of position with poor play-calling and in my opinion bad decisions.

I do feel that our coach has failed to put our team in a perfect position to win the game, in my opinion he was playing not to lose, playing scared, and he got his ass handed to him because he could not take his balls out of his throat. End of story.

Pacopete4
11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
i saw the replay... i saw him hit him about a second to early that didnt allow the WR to go up and get the ball... get those Green and Gold glasses off.. we got lucky they didnt call it and the "PI" youre talking about on Jennings really wasnt that bad at all... Jennings shoulda caught it

channtheman
11-02-2008, 03:42 PM
i saw the replay... i saw him hit him about a second to early that didnt allow the WR to go up and get the ball... get those Green and Gold glasses off.. we got lucky they didnt call it and the "PI" youre talking about on Jennings really wasnt that bad at all... Jennings shoulda caught it

I saw a replay where Chillar didn't even make contact with the receiver but I can see you won't agree so lets just agree to disagree. This isn't going to go anywhere.

HarveyWallbangers
11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
He said after the game that Crosby's range was 57 today, so if they got it to the 40, they were going to attempt a FG. I think the screen pass on 3rd and 10 was designed to get him those 5-6 yards. Instead it went for 3 yards.

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, that would make sense...

Partial
11-02-2008, 05:38 PM

???

I will say this..

It's not like the only person running a route on that play is an RB. He's the worst case target in that situation. The Titans were defending the pass well today.

falco
11-02-2008, 05:41 PM
hey, we lost a tough fought game against arguably the best team in the league - you could say we outplayed them most of the game but came up short in the end...this team has a lot of talent and can keep getting better, and i feel pretty confident with TT stocking the roster and MM developing it

sort of feels like the early 90s when you knew the team was going in the right direction

BobDobbs
11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
A lot of people flaming McCarthy for playing scared today. I kind of wish he would have played a little less scared on some of those plays. With the field position I understand going for it on fourth that first time. But, if you're going to pass it run a pass play, not some gimmicky crap with Grant lining up in the backfield then going out wide. This is not Brian Westbrook. All we accomplished was to let them know it will be a pass play. What's wrong with play action there?

The screen play at the end sucked. I'm guessing he was hoping to catch them pass rushing hard, but this is a team that doesn't blitz much and pursues well. Bad Call. But we had our chance to stop them and failed so welcome to .500 at the midpoint.

One word for everyone who thinks that we got jobbed by the refs. Trippin'. That was very close to a PI by Chillar. The ball was high and that helped him, but he wasn't playing the ball. He didn't turn around and you can draw a penalty for screening a receivers face even if you don't hit him. The play on Jennings was not legal, but it was a beautiful defensive play. The DB closed on the receiver and used his hand that was screened to pin Jennings off arm without extending his own arm. Really tough to catch and he broke up the catch. If you don't get caught its legal and he did every thing perfectly to no get caught. Respect due.

The MAN did not steal this one from us. We played hard and lost a close game. No whining allowed.

Patler
11-02-2008, 05:58 PM
When a screen pass works because the back slips a tackler, everyone thinks it is a great call, crossing up the defense. When it doesn't work it is dumb, too close to the vest and not, "going for it." That's just the nature of the play.

red
11-02-2008, 06:08 PM
we're at the halfway point of the season, and we've already lost more games then we did last year. with the exact same team minus one #4, and one over rated DT

other then those two, we are the same team, but sucking it up

is it injuries? we're pretty much injury free on offense, where we suck the most

maybe there was more to favre? rodgers is putting up good numbers and is playing great, but we are not winning. did favre inspire guys to play harder, or convince his coaches to have balls?

what the hell is it? how do you go from being one play from the super bowl to being a mediocre team in one season with almost the same team and coaches?

i will not settle and be happy with an "almost win". an 8-8 season would me a massive let down and failure in my book after last season

patler, whats the answer?

Patler
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
we're at the halfway point of the season, and we've already lost more games then we did last year. with the exact same team minus one #4, and one over rated DT

is it injuries? we're pretty much injury free on offense, where we suck the most

maybe there was more to favre? rodgers is putting up good numbers and is playing great, but we are not winning. did favre inspire guys to play harder, or convince his coaches to have balls?

what the hell is it? how do you go from being one play from the super bowl to being a mediocre team in one season with almost the same team and coaches?

i will not settle and be happy with an "almost win". an 8-8 season would me a massive let down and failure in my book after last season

Good lord, man. That's the NFL! One year you play the right team at the right time, and beat them. The next year you play them when they are playing well and you don't. Last year's doormat that you trounce soundly becomes this year's contender for the playoffs (except the Lions!) Games often turn on just one or two plays. Those might be made by you or your opponent. Might be offense, defense or special teams. Games can turn on one or two calls or non-calls by the officials.

Trying to compare one year to the next is futile, at best. Just take them as they come. The Packers actually played quite well in a lot of respects today. If they continue to play that way, there will be a lot of wins yet this season. The Bears and Vikings certainly don't appear to be positioned to run away with the division.

red
11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
quit trying to be rational

i'm looking for reasons to lite the torches

oregonpackfan
11-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree with Patler's assessment that even though the Packers are 4-4, they are still a good performing team.

We all need to remember two things in considering the Packers' level of success this year:

1. They have a different QB than the one who has started the last 16 years in a row. Though Rodgers has made some mistakes as a first year starter, he is a VERY solid replacement for Favre.

2. The Packers are the youngest team in the NFL. Young players tend to make mistakes. In addition, young players need more games under their belts to develop their talents, reduce mistakes, and develop team cohesion.

Yes, we would all like the record to be better than 4-4. The positive outlook is that this young, inexperienced team took the team with the best NFL record into overtime on the road and almost pulled off the upset.

Patler
11-02-2008, 06:47 PM

Sorry, its the only way I know how to be! :lol:

I tend to focus on standings more than records, and I am more concerned with how a team is playing at the end of the season than at the beginning. I've never obsessed too much over any single game, or over the record at this point in the season. I won't care if they are 9-7, 10-6 or 12-4 if they win their division. In this division, 8-8 might do it! :lol:

cpk1994
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM

???

I'm one that agrees with ya Mission... its redundant horshit week in, week outAnd if anyone knows about(and spews) redundant horsehit, it's you. :lol:

Anyway, I disagree with the OP. I had no problem with the call, You don't force anything. Play the percentages and field position, so when your "D" does its job(which they didn't), you get the ball back and one more shot. What if ARod got picked off and it was returned for 6pts.? You'd be bitching to high heaven that McCarthy was too aggressive.

retailguy
11-02-2008, 06:51 PM

funniest post of the year... :D

Red, sometimes you're a riot! (when you're not threatening to sue! :wink: )

cpk1994
11-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Good lord, man. That's the NFL! One year you play the right team at the right time, and beat them. The next year you play them when they are playing well and you don't. Last year's doormat that you trounce soundly becomes this year's contender for the playoffs (except the Lions!) Games often turn on just one or two plays. Those might be made by you or your opponent. Might be offense, defense or special teams. Games can turn on one or two calls or non-calls by the officials.

Trying to compare one year to the next is futile, at best. Just take them as they come. The Packers actually played quite well in a lot of respects today. If they continue to play that way, there will be a lot of wins yet this season. The Bears and Vikings certainly don't appear to be positioned to run away with the division.Amen!

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
GET SINGLETARY!!!!

:lol: I think he's needed for the Badgers.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:18 PM
man, I can't believe people are bitching about play calling.

OK, a couple questionable calls in key situations, but not stupid.

The Packers had a very smart, balanced attack all day long. If they win the game in overtime, who is complaining about play calling?

cpk1994
11-02-2008, 07:19 PM

The Packers had a very smart, balanced attack all day long. If they win the game in overtime, who is complaining about play calling?Exactly. But its easier to blame playcalling for a tough loss, so thats what is happening.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:20 PM

They have been short-handed on the defensive line all season.

pbmax
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Exactly as predicted. Close game and small failures killed us again. Dropped passes and INTs. A bad personal foul on Poppinga that kept another drive alive.

An int and a fumble. The difference this week were fewer penalties, although the personal in the first half should count double.

This offense is not good enough to overcome this number of errors. When the D doesn't score or shorten the field, we look hamstrung to put together more than 6 good plays together.

I still think its youth, but its getting old to watch this season. And for this game, it was part Rodgers, as he was struggling in the first half.

Good things? Harrell made some plays, then got gassed. Not bad for his first week back. And the O Line held up well with Clifton missing the game. I am stunned Van der Bosch didn't make the Pro Bowl this game. Kudos to Colledge and Sitton. Rodgers played much better in the second half.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
This offense is not good enough to overcome this number of errors.

There weren't that many errors. The PAckers played (maybe) the best team in the NFL into overtime. It was a well-executed on both sides of the ball compared to most games.

Patler
11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
The two turnovers lead to a total of 3 points. So while the interception may have ended a possible scoring opportunity, in the long run the turnovers were not a huge factor. Just one of several.

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
That was my problem with it; if the right guy catches it, It's 7 points, no overtime.

MOBB DEEP
11-02-2008, 09:24 PM

The Packers had a very smart, balanced attack all day long. If they win the game in overtime, who is complaining about play calling?

cris carter actually said that MM is one of the most unserrated play callers

bobblehead
11-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Look, in this league both sides get paid, and tennessee is stocked on the lines and all over on D. I didn't see the game, but given that we played this team tough into OT on the road it seems we are coming along.

We had a rough 3 game stretch in which I felt ARod didn't play well in 2 of the games and injuries hurt us bad in the 3rd. Right now we are playing well and got beat by a very good team....shit happens. My guess is we go 6-2 from here if we keep playing well and make the playoffs.

What did I say about rodgers over favre in the past.

Early on he might struggle and we might lose a few games a veteran like favre would have won, but by the end of the season he will have improved enough that I will take my chances with him over the great turnover artist in the playoffs. We are going to make the playoffs as this team is to talented and to deep not to.

I read Clifton got benched again today...that is a huge deal. This is certainly NOT the same team as last year. No veteran run blocking stud TE named franks, no pass rushing specialist DT named Cory Williams, No run stuffing DE named Jenkins who moved inside on passing downs. No rock at LT as clifton has struggled a shitload. We lost our starting safety and CB for what turned out to be a 3 game losing streak.

Last year all the vets played well and stayed healthy, this year not so much. I think we have a ton of talent on the roster that is adjusting to one another and their roles this season. TT and MM have the right plan/program in place to be successful for a long time and if you can't see that you're blind.

GO PACKERS, THIS GAME WAS ONLY A SETBACK IN THE L column. They are playing pretty good and improving every week.

Partial
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
This is a loss I saw positives from.. Very much unlike the Dallas game. We moved the ball against a good defense, we were physical, despite being undersized on the OL, and we showed toughness and tenacity.

The Gunshooter
11-03-2008, 04:15 AM

There weren't that many errors. The PAckers played (maybe) the best team in the NFL into overtime. It was a well-executed on both sides of the ball compared to most games.

GB made way more mistakes than TN. It cost them a huge win and now they will be lucky to make it as a wildcard on the road.

The Gunshooter
11-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Look, in this league both sides get paid, and tennessee is stocked on the lines and all over on D. I didn't see the game, but given that we played this team tough into OT on the road it seems we are coming along.

We had a rough 3 game stretch in which I felt ARod didn't play well in 2 of the games and injuries hurt us bad in the 3rd. Right now we are playing well and got beat by a very good team....shit happens. My guess is we go 6-2 from here if we keep playing well and make the playoffs.

What did I say about rodgers over favre in the past.

Early on he might struggle and we might lose a few games a veteran like favre would have won, but by the end of the season he will have improved enough that I will take my chances with him over the great turnover artist in the playoffs. We are going to make the playoffs as this team is to talented and to deep not to.

I read Clifton got benched again today...that is a huge deal. This is certainly NOT the same team as last year. No veteran run blocking stud TE named franks, no pass rushing specialist DT named Cory Williams, No run stuffing DE named Jenkins who moved inside on passing downs. No rock at LT as clifton has struggled a shitload. We lost our starting safety and CB for what turned out to be a 3 game losing streak.

Last year all the vets played well and stayed healthy, this year not so much. I think we have a ton of talent on the roster that is adjusting to one another and their roles this season. TT and MM have the right plan/program in place to be successful for a long time and if you can't see that you're blind.

GO PACKERS, THIS GAME WAS ONLY A SETBACK IN THE L column. They are playing pretty good and improving every week.

Clifton was sick and GB thought they were playing Philly in 2003-2004. It was a very winnable game down the tubes.

MJZiggy
11-03-2008, 06:08 AM

GB made way more mistakes than TN. It cost them a huge win and now they will be lucky to make it as a wildcard on the road.

What division do you think we play in? Anything could happen here. Detroit could even win a game...

The Gunshooter
11-03-2008, 06:53 AM

What division do you think we play in? Anything could happen here. Detroit could even win a game...

Why do I have this 2006 feeling then?

MOBB DEEP
11-03-2008, 06:58 AM

cris carter actually said that MM is one of the most unserrated play callers

i meant underrated...and i agree with him

KYPack
11-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Sorry, its the only way I know how to be! :lol:

I tend to focus on standings more than records, and I am more concerned with how a team is playing at the end of the season than at the beginning. I've never obsessed too much over any single game, or over the record at this point in the season. I won't care if they are 9-7, 10-6 or 12-4 if they win their division. In this division, 8-8 might do it! :lol:

Last season's 13-3 colossus could have been easily 8-8. We won a number of games last year in the last minutes. This season's team has had some hard luck.

We had to play Dallas when they were on a roll. Now Dallas went from the de facto Super bowl champs to pushovers in a few weeks. We are all right. The roster is now fully turned over and the old guard transitioned to the new boys. We will have a solid team for a few years now as other teams have to turn over their rosters. A couple years from now, Indy, Dallas, and NE will look nothing like they do now, while our young stallions will be coming into their own.