PDA

View Full Version : Crucial Factors in the Packers' loss

oregonpackfan
11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Overall, I thought the Packers played very well on a road game against the only undefeated team in the league. Coming into the game, I suspected the Titans would win convincingly by 10+ points.

So often, the main difference between a winning team and a losing team lies in the small, but vital, execution of basic details.

Here are some mistakes, I think were crucial factors in the Packers' loss:

1. On several plays, Jennings and Rodgers appeared to have communication problems. For one play, Rodgers threw to the sideline where he thought Jennings was supposed to be but Jennings had taken his route upfield.
On another play around the Titan's 5 yard line, Rodgers was looking for Jennings to go on a route to the corner in the end zone. Instead of even looking for a pass, Jennings was blocking the cornerback. Somehow, he didn't know he was the primary receiver for that play.

2. Ryan Grant still has terrible hands in catching a screen pass. At least twice, he dropped two short passes that hit him in the hands. The Packers should not have to limit their screen passes to Brandon Jackson. Grant needs to be able to catch as well.

3. The Packers' secondary dropped at least 3 sure interceptions. We have seen previous interceptions this season which turned games around to victories. At least one interception, like the one that Bigby dropped, would have been a huge turnaround.

red
11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
On another play around the Titan's 5 yard line, Rodgers was looking for Jennings to go on a route to the corner in the end zone. Instead of even looking for a pass, Jennings was blocking the cornerback. Somehow, he didn't know he was the primary receiver for that play.

tony the goose said that the entire line was also run blocking on that play, and they were lucky for not getting called for being down the field on a passing play

it seemed like rodgers was the only one that thought it was a passing play

falco
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
IMHO, t-will had 2 poor coverages on key plays on the last drive of the 4Q and the OT drive...not sure what the coverage was, but it looks like he played too deep on the 3rd and 6 of the first series of the titans OT drive.

cheesner
11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
No. 3 should be No. 1.

If the Pack makes any of those 3 picks, they win, I believe.

I thought AR had a poor game by his standards. I think he took a couple of sacks that he should not have, and that one pass into the endzone that was picked was just plain foolish. Not sure what he saw on that. His performance overall was very good, but a couple bad plays brings his average down.

The defense played really strong most of the game with just that last drive and the White run where they broke down.

BobDobbs
11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
There were definitely communication breakdowns as well as drops. Even Donald D dropped a couple today and lets not forget about the defensive backfield drops. We literally had this game in our hands.

On that play to Jennings the whole offensive line was blocking run too. I think Rodgers was trying some kind of psychic audible and the signal didn't get through.

gbgary
11-02-2008, 06:03 PM
both teams made plays, both teams screwed up. one team got lucky with the coin toss. should have called tails. the Pack fought hard as did the titans. both teams deserved to win but only one could. should have called tails.

pittstang5
11-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Unlucky, today...Sucks that the stupid Lions couldn't keep a 20 point or whatever lead. I think I'm more upset that the Lions were beating the Bears and the Bears pulled out a win more than I'm upset over the Packers loss.

falco
11-02-2008, 06:28 PM
according to GBPG:

Left tackle Chad Clifton didn’t dress for the game because of an illness, so Daryn Colledge started for him, with rookie Josh Sitton starting at right guard and Jason Spitz playing left guard.

I'm sure Clifton was in there to start - didn't he come out after an injury? Maybe I'm just clueless...

falco
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
according to GBPG:

Left tackle Chad Clifton didn’t dress for the game because of an illness, so Daryn Colledge started for him, with rookie Josh Sitton starting at right guard and Jason Spitz playing left guard.

I'm sure Clifton was in there to start - didn't he come out after an injury? Maybe I'm just clueless...

nevermind, guess i was clueless

oregonpackfan
11-02-2008, 06:36 PM
according to GBPG:

Clifton did play. In addition, I remember him standing on the sideline getting his left wrist taped up.

Patler
11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
according to GBPG:

Apparently you are clueless! :lol:

I missed the first three plays the Packers ran, but on the play right after the delay of game I immediately asked, "Where's Clifton?"

Patler
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
according to GBPG:

Clifton did play. In addition, I remember him standing on the sideline getting his left wrist taped up.

Clifton was shown on the sidelines, but I never saw him in the game, and I was looking for him from the fourth play on offense on.

I have the game on Tivo and will look at their first play from scrimmage when I get a chance.

Tony Oday
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I think 6 in the box the entire OT hurt...a lot.