PDA

View Full Version : For sadomasochists among us, what if....

Patler
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
What if....

Poppinga had not gotten a penalty when the Packers had forced a punt, thereby extending a drive that resulted in a fieldgoal?

Rodgers had not barely over thrown Jennings when he had a step on the DB early in the game?

Nelson (I think) had made the block instead of getting in Grant's way on one run he broke into the open on?

The Packers had tried a field goal from the Titan's 38 yard line with time running out in the first half instead of going for it unsuccessfully on 4th down?

Driver was successful in jumping behind the DB instead of getting bumped out of bounds on his long reception?

Jennings came up with the ball, or PI was called on Rodgers' perfectly thrown pass in the last drive?

The DBs got one pick instead of mishandling a few?

The DBs got two picks instead of mishandling few?

THE PACKER CAPTAINS HAD SAID "TAILS"!!!

Have I ruined your evenings??? :lol: :lol:

Note: Feel free to add to the list!

RashanGary
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
It was a good, close game against a tough team that didn't beat themselves. I tip my hats to them for doing a lot of the little things right, but we have to do better with ball security and play just a little cleaner and we can beat them or anyone. Certainly not a bad showing against a top tier team, so no, my nights not ruined.

red
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
hey, i've been called a lot of things on these boards

but i've never taken it in the ass

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Nah, Patler, it was my evening was toast anyway. What if Rodgers saw the safety coming on that pick in the end zone?

RashanGary
11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Nah, Patler, it was my evening was toast anyway. What if Rodgers saw the safety coming on that pick in the end zone?

That was a horrible decision. That was vintage Packer football circa 93-07

Bretsky
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
It's hard to be that pissed out this loss if you are a Badger fan; yesterday's game was so much worse.

I wonder what Felon Ferron is doing this evening

:lol:

Freak Out
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Ha ha......keep them above the belt JH.

pbmax
11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
It's hard to be that pissed out this loss if you are a Badger fan; yesterday's game was so much worse.

I wonder what Felon Ferron is doing this evening

:lol:
You aren't just whistling dixie. I am having a hard time listening to Lepay and Lucas on the broadcast because in my foul mood, I want them to hammer the coach and they refuse. Its really causing a rift in our relationship. :lol:

The coaches should be hammered, forgive me for going OT, for the bench penalties they incurred. Dumb.

As for Patler, those are the kind of things we aren't good enough to overcome. There are two ways to rectify it. Get better or execute better. I hope its the latter by Week 12.

Patler
11-02-2008, 07:39 PM

It's getting a bit old JH.

Patler
11-02-2008, 07:55 PM
As for Patler, those are the kind of things we aren't good enough to overcome. There are two ways to rectify it. Get better or execute better. I hope its the latter by Week 12.

Yup, I agree, yet they almost did. That's what games turn on in the NFL. Usually the team with the shortest list of "What ifs" wins the game.

But what if they had only said "Tails".......
Isn't that how we beat Denver last year, by winning the OT coin toss? :lol:

MJZiggy
11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Isn't it the coin toss that usually decides OT games (unless you're Seattle...)?

Patler
11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Isn't it the coin toss that usually decides OT games (unless you're Seattle...)?

At one point a few years back there were statistics that showed there was an advantage in kicking off. If the team didn't score on the initial drive after the kickoff, it usually meant more favorable field position for the team who kicked off. If they didn't lose right away, they were then in better position to win on subsequent possessions. There were even a few coaches who won the coin toss and elected to kick. Of course when it hit home that they could also lose the game without ever touching the ball, they soon reconsidered.

MadtownPacker
11-02-2008, 09:18 PM
What if....

Poppinga had not gotten a penalty when the Packers had forced a punt, thereby extending a drive that resulted in a fieldgoal?

Rodgers had not barely over thrown Jennings when he had a step on the DB early in the game?

Nelson (I think) had made the block instead of getting in Grant's way on one run he broke into the open on?

The Packers had tried a field goal from the Titan's 38 yard line with time running out in the first half instead of going for it unsuccessfully on 4th down?

Driver was successful in jumping behind the DB instead of getting bumped out of bounds on his long reception?

Jennings came up with the ball, or PI was called on Rodgers' perfectly thrown pass in the last drive?

Note: Feel free to add to the list!This just reinforces my belief that the best team on the field did not win today. The players blew what should have been a great victory.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2008, 09:35 PM
they played a good game and lost. it happens, especially against good teams. all the rest is homerism and frustration.

bobblehead
11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
If we win by 3 there is a poster on a titans board with an identical post....we just see our game from the green and gold perspective.

I pointed this out on the JS board when someone showed how brett "won almost every game with great plays". I turned it around and countered with a lot of boneheaded plays.

This is why judges in boxing can't get it right. You see one guys offense and all you see is him landing punches....but its hard to see him get hit unless he is getting pummelled. We see things from one perspective.

Same with the playcalling thread. If the players execute it was a great call, if they screw up it sucked.

cheesner
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Your point is well taken Palter. We had a lot of opportunities to win this game and it didn't happen. We were playing the best/hottest team in the NFL, in their house, and we took them to overtime and lost. We could have very easily won this - so I am trying to remain optimistic about the rest of the season, although it is difficult not to be a bit disappointed right now.

oregonpackfan
11-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Patler, your post illustrates why pro football, and other levels of football as well, are so interesting. There are so many plays and non-plays that can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

Though the Packers lost, I still believe it was one hell of a game. The Packers gave an excellent accounting of themselves. I still believe this team can win the NFC-North and at least 1 playoff game.

Patler
11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Patler, your post illustrates why pro football, and other levels of football as well, are so interesting. There are so many plays and non-plays that can have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

Though the Packers lost, I still believe it was one hell of a game. The Packers gave an excellent accounting of themselves. I still believe this team can win the NFC-North and at least 1 playoff game.

Personally, I never play the "What if" game myself. I started this thread just to tweak the wound a bit on those who immediately begin looking for someone to blame after any close, hard fought loss. I collected many of the "It's his fault accusations" from other threads and combined them in this. You will note my list includes blame for play calling, QB play, numerous other players, the officials, and fate (the coin toss).

It was to get back to a point I made in another thread. Most NFL games are decided by very slim margins, a play or two, decision or two, official call or two and even blind dumb luck can make the difference.

The Gunshooter
11-03-2008, 04:33 AM
What if....

Note: Feel free to add to the list!

Don't forget the Rodgers fumble when he failed to see the guy or protect the ball.

Badgerinmaine
11-03-2008, 06:17 AM

You aren't kidding. Yeah, it was frustrating, but the Packers were in a game all the way on the road with the last undefeated team in the league. The Badger game was just flat out blown with poor coaching and other breakdowns.

But I've got it even worse. I did my undergrad at the UW, but I got my grad degree at Minnesota. The Gophers lost to Northwestern, blowing a tie game in the last 20 seconds on a 35 yard Pick 6--and worst of all, out here where I don't get to see any of my teams as much as I would like, ALL THREE GAMES WERE ON TV so I could watch all the agony live and in color. :doh:
ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

MJZiggy
11-03-2008, 06:19 AM
You can always just take it out on your students... :lol:

Deputy Nutz
11-03-2008, 08:29 AM
hey, i've been called a lot of things on these boards

but i've never taken it in the ass

But you will, oh but you will.