PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Medicine" sidelines Clifton

KYPack
11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Evidently, Chad Clifton was not a chemistry major. An adverse reaction to some meds sidelined him for his Tennessee homecoming. Two minutes before the Green Bay Packers were required to turn in their game-day inactives, starting left tackle Chad Clifton began to have a reaction to medication he took before Sunday’s game against Tennessee Titans at LP Field.

He experienced swelling all over his body and some dizziness after he took an anti-inflammatory pill that was different than what he had been taking recently.

“It was 10:28 (a.m.), and we turn in the inactives at 10:30,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “We had to make a decision.”

The Packers left Clifton on the active list, but he wasn’t ready in time for the noon kickoff. That meant left guard Daryn Colledge moved over to Clifton’s spot and right guard Jason Spitz played left guard. That forced rookie Josh Sitton into the lineup, and he made his first NFL start at right guard.

Clifton has missed just two starts since 2002 and neither was due to injury. He missed a game at Miami in 2006 with the flu. He said he switched medication on Sunday because “if you take the same thing over and over, it doesn’t work as well.”

Clifton said he last took this medication three years ago.

“(It was) something I’ve taken before,” Clifton said. “My body did not agree with it.”

Because the Packers put Allen Barbre and Breno Giacomini on the game-day inactive list, it left the Packers with only one backup offensive lineman (Tony Moll) available for most of the first half. Clifton finally came out of the locker room with a few minutes left in the second quarter.

“He probably could have played in the second half,” McCarthy said, “but we just stayed the course with the group that we started with.”

Colledge fared better at left tackle than he did two years ago at Miami, when Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor beat him for a pair of sacks early in that game.

“I played worse there and we won,” Colledge said. “I think I played pretty good, obviously not good enough to help this team win. I’m growing as a left tackle. It’s my job to be there if something happens to Chad or there’s a situation like that before the game.”

That answers my question as to why they didn't give Barbre the shot at LG. He was inactive and they couldn't use him. Sitton is obviously the first guard off the bench now that he is well.

C'mon Chad. You're an old vet now. It's better living thru chemistry. Learn how to mix then poisons, Bro. That shit keeps you on the field. Know how to put it in your body, fer chissakes.

GrnBay007
11-02-2008, 11:39 PM
C'mon Chad. You're an old vet now. It's better living thru chemistry. Learn how to mix then poisons, Bro. That shit keeps you on the field. Know how to put it in your body, fer chissakes.

:lol:

MJZiggy
11-03-2008, 06:02 AM
Ok, so they weren't sure and the left Clifton active. Why didn't they activate a backup OL in case he couldn't go?

Tarlam!
11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Why didn't they activate a backup OL in case he couldn't go?

Cause they can only activate 45, Zig. Duh.

Zool
11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Ok, so they weren't sure and the left Clifton active. Why didn't they activate a backup OL in case he couldn't go?

10:30AM is the cutoff. They found out at 10:28.

KYPack
11-03-2008, 08:55 AM

Way to read the post, Zool!

I still think I'd use the 2 minutes to activate Barbre. That'd give them flexibility if Wells or Spitz got dinged. Can't say how it would affect ST and that seems to be a big factor to coach Mac and the staff.

Patler
11-03-2008, 09:01 AM

I still think I'd use the 2 minutes to activate Barbre. That'd give them flexibility if Wells or Spitz got dinged. Can't say how it would affect ST and that seems to be a big factor to coach Mac and the staff.

Should have activated Barbre and sat Jermichael Finley.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Did Finley have a bad game? I didn't see any bad drops. I'm glad to see him play and hopefully accelerate his development. They need a better tight end than Humphrey or Lee. And like Jermemy Thomspon at DE, Finley at least looks the part.

I'm very sorry to learn about Clifton's illness. I was hoping that he had been benched as an experiment.

Zool
11-03-2008, 09:19 AM

I work for the department of redundancy department. I suppose they could have, or maybe they thought the reaction might subside quickly. That was the least of yesterdays problems.

Patler
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM

Did Finley have a bad game? I didn't see any bad drops. I'm glad to see him play and hopefully accelerate his development. They need a better tight end than Humphrey or Lee. And like Jermemy Thomspon at DE, Finley at least looks the part.

My point is that at the start of the game, they had only 6 linemen active and available, 5 play so they had one in reserve. They had three TEs. Finley has no impact offensively and has been a detriment on special teams. He was the logical one to make inactive.

On the 45 man active roster to start the game it would seem to have been more important to have another O-lineman than to have a third TE. Even with Clifton, they had only two in reserve for 5 positions. That is risky in itself, most teams most often go with 3 reserve O-lineman on the 45 man roster, and many, including the Packers, only go with 2 active TEs. The Packers often go with just the two reserve O-linemen in part because they cross-train their linemen more than a lot of teams do, but having just one reserve for the first half was really risky, and they had no idea if they would have Clifton at all for the game, apparently.

Had two of the 5 O-linemen gone down before Clifton was available, the Packers would have been in a mess. You can play without TEs, its hard to play without 5 O-linemen.

The 45 man game day roster against the best team in the league, who beats up linemen physically on both offense and defense is not the time to run a training course for an underperforming third string tight end at the risk of running out of O-linemen.