PDA

View Full Version : Resolved: The Packers Have Enough Talent On Offense To Win

pbmax
11-03-2008, 07:27 AM
390 yards of offense. Multiple trips to the Tennessee end of the field and averaging better than 4.3 yards per carry against the NFL's 3rd best run D all on the road.

All the complaints about finesse football, the TEs, the RBs, the O Line and the QB situation are mostly distraction. You don't get those numbers on the road against a good D unless you have the talent to compete at this level.

What the Packers do not have is the ability to get out of their own way. Their own miscues and lack of execution killed them in this game. They should have had a multiple score lead in the fourth. Having it come down to a field goal drive at the end of a game or OT was going to be in Tennessee's favor as they are more skilled in the trenches.

Maybe this is the definition of a finesse team. But this team can win with this talent. The question is, can the coaches stop the players from killing their own chances?

Patler
11-03-2008, 08:00 AM
390 yards of offense. Multiple trips to the Tennessee end of the field and averaging better than 4.3 yards per carry against the NFL's 3rd best run D all on the road.

All the complaints about finesse football, the TEs, the RBs, the O Line and the QB situation are mostly distraction. You don't get those numbers on the road against a good D unless you have the talent to compete at this level.

What the Packers do not have is the ability to get out of their own way. Their own miscues and lack of execution killed them in this game. They should have had a multiple score lead in the fourth. Having it come down to a field goal drive at the end of a game or OT was going to be in Tennessee's favor as they are more skilled in the trenches.

Maybe this is the definition of a finesse team. But this team can win with this talent. The question is, can the coaches stop the players from killing their own chances?

That is the feeling I came away from this game with.

pbmax
11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
And props to wist. While I often think of wist as a cantankerous old coot, he had more than half a point about the Packers. Whether finesse is as much a problem as he foresees isn't something with which I am ready to agree.

But he clearly had a handle on the idea that the Packer's margin for error is smaller than their current rate of mistakes. I don't think you need a Hall of Fame QB to overcome this, but you do need to be clean.

Tony Oday
11-03-2008, 10:03 AM
We have the offense that is for sure. The running game is finding traction and the passing game is getting just sick.

The thing that really hurt us in Tenn I personally think was 6 men in the box in the final two Titan drives. They were getting shut down the rest of the second half then we got burned with some passes and went soft.

Pacopete4
11-03-2008, 10:25 AM
ya, stats look pretty.... not enough points on the board though... need to figure out a way to bear down and put the fuckin thing in the endzone and this team woulda won a couple more games..

Tony Oday
11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
ya, stats look pretty.... not enough points on the board though... need to figure out a way to bear down and put the fuckin thing in the endzone and this team woulda won a couple more games..

Agreed! I mean if you are not scoring TDs something is wrong...It seemed we had the slant almost all day and only ran it two times (that I remember) in the endzone.

This is the part of the zone blocking that everyone hates :(

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Actually, we didn't have the slant all day. You could tell the Titans were playing the slant--knowing that their pass rush could get to Rodgers. That's how we burned them with slant and gos when they were overly aggressive on a couple of them.

Pacopete4
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Actually, we didn't have the slant all day. You could tell the Titans were playing the slant--knowing that their pass rush could get to Rodgers. That's how we burned them with slant and gos when they were overly aggressive on a couple of them.

like the one on the Jennings slant? Finnegan ran the route better than Jennings did ha

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
like the one on the Jennings slant? Finnegan ran the route better than Jennings did ha

The interception wasn't on a slant route. I'm sure you realize that.

Pacopete4
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM

The interception wasn't on a slant route.

ya i brain farted.. i changed it ha

Fritz
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I do think there is enough offense for this team to win.

I also think that the above folks are correct in pointing out that this team has little margin for error. I think that's because this is a group of very good players - there is not that elite player who can bail a team out, whether it's Deion Sanders returning a punt for a touchdown or Brett Favre making a miraculous escape from a sack and throwing a t.d. pass, or Adrian Peterson ripping off chunks of yardage.

BobDobbs
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
For me to believe that this offense is strong enough to win. I need to see more consistency running the ball into the endzone and more contributions in the redzone from the tight ends. Our receivers will move us down the field and score some touchdowns, but until we can be more diverse close to the goal line we won't score enough points.

PackerBlues
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
The Packers have more than enough talent on Offense to win! And they would win more, if the QB and Coach could manage to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

M3 needs someone to call his plays for him when the offense makes it past the 50 yard line.

Rodgers needs to develope "pocket presence" (or put some fucking mirrors on his helmet), cause he is gonna get seriously hurt if he keeps taking those bone jarring (fumble causing) hits that he has been consistantly taking.

Tony Oday
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
The Packers have more than enough talent on Offense to win! And they would win more, if the QB and Coach could manage to pull their heads out of their collective asses.

M3 needs someone to call his plays for him when the offense makes it past the 50 yard line.

Rodgers needs to develope "pocket presence" (or put some fucking mirrors on his helmet), cause he is gonna get seriously hurt if he keeps taking those bone jarring (fumble causing) hits that he has been consistantly taking.

You are watching a different game then. I seem to remember our little AR moving well in the pocket and escaping and getting first downs...

PackerBlues
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM

You are watching a different game then. I seem to remember our little AR moving well in the pocket and escaping and getting first downs...

I seem to remember our lil AR screwing up his poor wittle shoulder on one of those runs. I also seem to remember our lil AR fumbling and coughing up the ball to the Defense in yesterdays game..........or did you miss that because you were watching the Jets game too?

While many have claimed that AR is far better than "Old Man Favre" at scrambling, he (AR) has about as much awareness of whats going on in the pocket around him, as a blind man.

Tony Oday
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
He did fumble but you are saying one extreme and I am saying that he can move in the pocket, has exteneded drives with his legs and escaped preasure from a very good defense.

Actually did watch some of the Jets game because T Jones is my RB. I have the NFL ticket so I watched portions from every game.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
This game reminded me a lot of the Wisconsin game the day before. We clearly had the better team; We clearly outplayed the opponent; Yet our guys found a way to lose.

As much respect as I have for McCarthy's coaching in general, this wasn't exactly his finest hour either. We should have won that game.

Unlike the Badgers, though--who are pretty much effectively screwed now, and truth be told, had fundamental weaknesses right from the start, the Packers still have everything on the table. They still are the obvious choice to take the division and make the playoffs, and the NFC in general is full of parity--and weakness. And that is doubly true for the AFC.

What Packer fans are experiencing these days is afflicting practically all of what were assumed to be the best NFL teams going into the season--Cowboys, Chargers, Colts, Pats, just to name a few, most of them worse off than we are.

I still say the Giants are over-achieving and due for a fall. Ditto that for Washington. Philadelphia is highly unlikely to go all the way without McNabb either getting injured or just plain getting worse. The Bears? Come on! Even if Orton hadn't gotten hurt, no way they were gonna be a factor.

It could be worse; It'll probably get better; And the path is still fairly clear to go all the way.