PDA

View Full Version : Is Bush on his way out? (The Packer, not the Prez)

Patler
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
We all know Bush made the roster because;
1. He has been a very good ST player.
2. He provided some level of backup at both corner and safety.

Clearly he was the #last safety and the #next to last corner at the start of the year, ahead of only Pat Lee, maybe, who was struggling.

Fast forward to game 8. All the DBs are healthy. All the special teams players are back. It was noted by one of the writers that Bush did not play as much on ST as he normally does, even on the ones that he always has played on until now. No reports of any injuries to Bush

When healthy, this team has a lot of good ST players. If Lee has improved, Bush as the 10th best DB maybe more than the roster will support.

KYPack
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
We all know Bush made the roster because;
1. He has been a very good ST player.
2. He provided some level of backup at both corner and safety.

Clearly he was the #last safety and the #next to last corner at the start of the year, ahead of only Pat Lee, maybe, who was struggling.

Fast forward to game 8. All the DBs are healthy. All the special teams players are back. It was noted by one of the writers that Bush did not play as much on ST as he normally does, even on the ones that he always has played on until now. No reports of any injuries to Bush

When healthy, this team has a lot of good ST players. If Lee has improved, Bush as the 10th best DB maybe more than the roster will support.

Bush would have to be a prime candidate. Another guy who seems to be on the "outs" is James Jones. He seemed pissed that he was inactive for Sunday's game, espec in light of the fact Jordy Nelson was supposedly nicked up.

P, do you have the inactive list from Sunday's game?

I couldn't locate it in the Box's that were published post game.

Fritz
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
But of course you have to have someone in the wings whom you see as better or at least having better long term potential. I'm not seeing that person anywhere at the moment.

KYPack
11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
But of course you have to have someone in the wings whom you see as better or at least having better long term potential. I'm not seeing that person anywhere at the moment.

Pat Lee?

Found Sunday's inactives:

QB Brian Brohm (third QB)
CB Pat Lee
RB DeShawn Wynn
LB Desmond Bishop
LB Danny Lansanah
T Breno Giacomini
G Allen Barbre
WR James Jones

Looking at this, DeShawn Wynn could also be a bubble candidate.

Patler
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Could be at a different position though. Carrying 10 DBs is more than usual, unless the 10th is a special guy as a returner, ST player or such. Bush may be losing that designation.

Could even be a guy on the Practice Squad, like Swain or Porter, that they want to see more of. Swain was thought of as a return guy with some potential. If Jordy Nelson is the #3 receiver, maybe they would just as soon not have him returning kicks in the second half of his rookie year, when some rookies burn out anyway. Dumping the 10th DB for a 6th WR is not an unreasonable move.

Patler
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Pat Lee?

Found Sunday's inactives:

QB Brian Brohm (third QB)
CB Pat Lee
RB DeShawn Wynn
LB Desmond Bishop
LB Danny Lansanah
T Breno Giacomini
G Allen Barbre
WR James Jones

Looking at this, DeShawn Wynn could also be a bubble candidate.

Since they have only 3 RBs, I don't see Wynn in much trouble, unless a better back is available.
Lee has been inactive for many games, but that could be because they felt they needed Bush on ST. If that is no longer the case, maybe Lee has passed Bush as a DB. We can hope so anyway!

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Who said Bush was on fewer STs?
Which STs was he on that he's no longer on?

I saw him on ST yesterday. He even made a good play on one of them. It told me a lot when Tracy White said he was the best STs player on the team. I'd like to have some proof that they aren't as high on him on STs. It's not like you only need a few good special teams players.

Partial
11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Bush is the guy that got the hand on the punt. The special teams unit hasn't forced turnovers this year, and Bush is imo the best at doing so. Keep him around.

Patler
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Who said Bush wasn't on fewer STs?
Which STs was he on that he's no longer on?

I saw him on ST yesterday. He even made a good play on one of them. It told me a lot when Tracy White said he was the best STs player on the team. I'd like to have some proof that they aren't as high on him on STs. It's not like you only need a few good special teams players.

One of the writers this morning wrote that he didn't play on all the STs that he normally did all the time. (I will look for it) I took it to mean that he played some, but not all that he has in the past. ( For example, some punts, but not all of them maybe?) I didn't read it to be that he was off any one special team completely, just that he didn't play all of the snaps for that ST. Maybe it was an audition for others???

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
One of the writers this morning wrote that he didn't play on all the STs that he normally did all the time. (I will look for it) I took it to mean that he played some, but not all that he has in the past. ( For example, some punts, but not all of them maybe?) I didn't read it to be that he was off any one special team completely, just that he didn't play all of the snaps for that ST. Maybe it was an audition for others???

It would help to know if there may have been another reason for it. Did he get nicked up? The last I heard was that he was a very good STs player. Perhaps the best on the team. Then again, that didn't do much for Tracy White. Just tells you that STs players are expendable--especially if the coaches don't think they'll help on offense or defense eventually.

Patler
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM

It would help to know if there may have been another reason for it. Did he get nicked up? The last I heard was that he was a very good STs player. Perhaps the best on the team. Then again, that didn't do much for Tracy White. Just tells you that STs players are expendable--especially if the coaches don't think they'll help on offense or defense eventually.

I think it was the GBPG "Notebook". It now states specifically that he was taken of the FG defense team in the overtime. It did not state that early this morning when I first read it.

Bush never got the chance to block Bironas’ 41-yard game winner in overtime because he wasn’t on the field. Bush, who has been a regular on the field-goal block team this season, said he was taken off that unit before overtime.

“We made some personnel changes,” Bush said.

Bush said he was not given a reason for the change.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Who almost blocked the FG in regulation? I didn't understand the last block attempt. It seemed like nobody fired off the edges and tried to block the kick--like they did on the FG at the end of regulation.

Patler
11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Who almost blocked the FG in regulation? I didn't understand the last block attempt. It seemed like nobody fired off the edges and tried to block the kick--like they did on the FG at the end of regulation.

Bush claims to have gotten a glove on it, which makes it all the more strange that he was not on the field for the overtime FG.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
The only thing I can think of is that he was close to being offsides and the coaching staff didn't want to get a penalty to make the kick easier.

Patler
11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
The only thing I can think of is that he was close to being offsides and the coaching staff didn't want to get a penalty to make the kick easier.

Possible, I suppose, but he said he was taken off before the overtime, which would mean right after he almost blocked the kick. Seems like an odd response under the situation.

Fritz
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
What I meant was not that there had to be somebody to take over and make Bush inactive on game days - I was thinking of him losing his roster spot altogether. That would mean a free agent, someone from someone else's practice squad, or someone from the Packers' practice squad.

Here's where I wish we still had that Joey Haynos dude on the p.s.

Duct tape Finley's mouth and activate Haynos.

Patler
11-03-2008, 12:54 PM
What I meant was not that there had to be somebody to take over and make Bush inactive on game days - I was thinking of him losing his roster spot altogether. That would mean a free agent, someone from someone else's practice squad, or someone from the Packers' practice squad.

Here's where I wish we still had that Joey Haynos dude on the p.s.

Duct tape Finley's mouth and activate Haynos.

That's what I meant too, and why I mentioned Swain. Currently on the practice squad, but maybe a guy they want to look at.

SkinBasket
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Bush is the guy that got the hand on the punt. The special teams unit hasn't forced turnovers this year, and Bush is imo the best at doing so. Keep him around.

So he's the best at not creating turnovers? The guy hasn't even been getting into positions to make tackles. Time to trim the bush.

mraynrand
11-03-2008, 02:44 PM

So he's the best at not creating turnovers? The guy hasn't even been getting into positions to make tackles. Time to trim the bush.

He doesn't have to make the tackle to be effective on teams. The guy is pretty dominant as a gunner, and disrupts punt returns all the time. I could see him becoming expendable if other factors (injuries elsewhere) create a numbers problem.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't know why this worn out discussion came up again--maybe because KGB was finally let go. Bush is different, though, because he makes extremely much less money, and as has been said, his special teams contribution.

It's a toss up as to which Bush gets the most unwarranted disrespect.

There are a lot of worse corners playing, maybe even starting around the NFL--you don't have to be near as good to get by in other defensive schemes. Bush can play either corner or safety good enough to get by in a pinch.

Sooner or later, he will probably move on--and surprise a lot of his detractors around here by being successful in some scheme putting less pressure on corners for man coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
On why Jarrett Bush wasn't out there for the final field goal after tipping the first: Charles Woodson took his spot. Bush was waved off. "That's the decision we made."

I doubt Chuck replaces him full-time. Sounds like a decision that was made to get one of their best players on the field for a crucial play. Did they think the Titans would fake it? I don't like the decision. Bush had disrupted the previous kick.

Patler
11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't know why this worn out discussion came up again--maybe because KGB was finally let go. Bush is different, though, because he makes extremely much less money, and as has been said, his special teams contribution.

I started this, and it had nothing to do with KGB. An early version of an on-line article said that Bush did not play as much on ST as he normally does, even on the ones that he always has played on until now. There were no reports of any injuries to Bush, so I found that odd.

Now the articles simply say he was taken off the field goal defense team for the overtime. If the earlier article had said that, I would not have started this thread. Earlier it implied more absences on his part, which to me was interesting and perhaps foretelling of the GM's thoughts. Ten DBs is more than necessary, and I thought perhaps they had seen progress in Lee or something.

Turns out it is probably irrelevant.

texaspackerbacker
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I saw him on punt returns and the field goal defense team, and I think he was in there on kick offs. I noticed T. Williams in Bush's gunner spot on punts--probably the result of Al Harris coming back.

I'm having a hard time thinking of 10 DBs. Are you sure? Woodson, Harris, Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Williams, Lee, Bush, and Peprah, that's nine. Who if anybody did I miss?

Of those nine, I'd sooner see Peprah gone. He played noticeably bad a couple of games back when he was forced to play by injuries, and I don't think he's capable of playing corner or safety like Bush.

MJZiggy
11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
I would think, though that had Bush fallen out of favor, that he'd have been released to make room for Harrell rather than KGB.

KYPack
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I saw him on punt returns and the field goal defense team, and I think he was in there on kick offs. I noticed T. Williams in Bush's gunner spot on punts--probably the result of Al Harris coming back.

I'm having a hard time thinking of 10 DBs. Are you sure? Woodson, Harris, Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Williams, Lee, Bush, and Peprah, that's nine. Who if anybody did I miss?

Of those nine, I'd sooner see Peprah gone. He played noticeably bad a couple of games back when he was forced to play by injuries, and I don't think he's capable of playing corner or safety like Bush.

LCB 21 Charles Woodson 27 Will Blackmon 22 Pat Lee*
RCB 31 Al Harris 38 Tramon Williams 24 Jarrett Bush
SS 20 Atari Bigby 37 Aaron Rouse
FS 36 Nick Collins 26 Charlie Peprah

* Rookie

Will Blackmon, Tex.
For now, he ain't much of a corner. Great return man, tho.

We'll see if Lionel Washington and the much-maligned Shotty can get him up to speed. I like Bush, too.

Peprah is my bubble guy.

With all the injuries, I doubt anybody gets cut this season

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Special teams coach Mike Stock still isn’t sure if Jarrett Bush partially blocked the fourth-quarter field goal attempt by Titans kicker Rob Bironas, but Stock did provide an answer for why Bush wasn’t on the field when Bironas kicked the game winner in overtime.

“No. 21 (Charles Woodson) stayed on the field and rather than go out there and have an argument because the clock was ticking, 21 said he’s going to stay and go try to get it because he’s been a field-goal blocker in the past,” Stock said. “So he just said he would take his rep.”

When asked if Woodson has that authority, Stock said: “Well what are you going to do? The clock’s running. You can’t go out there and argue.”

However, there was time to get Bush onto the field if the Packers wanted to because McCarthy called a timeout in an effort to ice Bironas.

“He wanted to stay and do the job,” Stock said of Woodson.

Stock said it was too hard to tell on the film if Bush got a piece of the fourth-quarter kick that Bironas missed. Bush said after the game that he thought he tipped it.

At the time, the ball sure did look funny coming out. I initially thought he got a hand on it. Anybody tivo the game, so they can verify this?

mraynrand
11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Special teams coach Mike Stock still isn’t sure if Jarrett Bush partially blocked the fourth-quarter field goal attempt by Titans kicker Rob Bironas, but Stock did provide an answer for why Bush wasn’t on the field when Bironas kicked the game winner in overtime.

“No. 21 (Charles Woodson) stayed on the field and rather than go out there and have an argument because the clock was ticking, 21 said he’s going to stay and go try to get it because he’s been a field-goal blocker in the past,” Stock said. “So he just said he would take his rep.”

When asked if Woodson has that authority, Stock said: “Well what are you going to do? The clock’s running. You can’t go out there and argue.”

However, there was time to get Bush onto the field if the Packers wanted to because McCarthy called a timeout in an effort to ice Bironas.

“He wanted to stay and do the job,” Stock said of Woodson.

Stock said it was too hard to tell on the film if Bush got a piece of the fourth-quarter kick that Bironas missed. Bush said after the game that he thought he tipped it.

At the time, the ball sure did look funny coming out. I initially thought he got a hand on it. Anybody tivo the game, so they can verify this?

Really hard to tell. The ball and Bush's hand are in the same place at the same time it seems, and Bush was jumping up and down going to the sidelines. Here's the deal - the ball misses to the right, so Bush would have had to get the bottom of the ball, since he was coming in from the right. It coulda happened.

Patler
11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Praise the Lord, I haven't lost my mind!! :lol:

I knew I read it somewhere. From Bedard's blog:
"Speaking of Bush, he's seeing less and less playing time: he's wasn't on a few special teams he normally is."

mraynrand
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM

"Speaking of Bush, he's seeing less and less playing time: he's wasn't on a few special teams he normally is."

yeah, but was Bedard just referring to the same Woodson incident?

Patler
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM

yeah, but was Bedard just referring to the same Woodson incident?

One would hope not. "seeing less and less playing time" implies ongoing changes, not just a single play. It implies something that he has witnessed over time, and that has progressively changed.

Not on "a few special teams" certainly implies more than one unit and/or more than just one play.

I will be very disappointed if he is that loose and inaccurate with the words and phrases he chooses for his articles. It is very misleading if all he is aware of is the one play.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Bush has been on the way out for some years now. I've seen nothing but clean clams since 2003.....errr... :shock: :oops: Jarrett Bush?..my bad, lol. I hope we dump him soon. He's had an occasional good play, but his glaringly BAD plays stand out over and over. He's not worth the space on the roster as he very bad in space or in 1-on-1 as a CB. Is his ST play worth it to keep him on the roster. NOPE.

bobblehead
11-04-2008, 11:26 PM

It's a toss up as to which Bush gets the most unwarranted disrespect.

There are a lot of worse corners playing, maybe even starting around the NFL--you don't have to be near as good to get by in other defensive schemes. Bush can play either corner or safety good enough to get by in a pinch.

Sooner or later, he will probably move on--and surprise a lot of his detractors around here by being successful in some scheme putting less pressure on corners for man coverage.

jarrett...as the other bush brought the shit on himself.

I think they want to keep him one more year to see if he developes as a safety. If he doesnt he will be gone for a younger cheaper ST player that has upside at a position.