PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts about the NFL standings and other things.

Patler
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Has any team in the last, oh 40 years or so, been as consistent as the Lions? Too bad it is the wrong kind of consistency.

How in the heck can Arizona be only 5-3, yet lead their division by 3 games?

Parity reigns supreme!

Is Miami really at .500 after 8 games? Still they can't get out of last place in their division!

Is there REALLY a Super Bowl favorite this year? Tennessee is good but certainly a team that can be beaten. Same for the Giants or any other team you want to throw into the discussion. Of course, where did being the favorite get NE last year?

When will the writers and broadcasters realize that there are organizational problems in Dallas that will result in the Cowboys always disappointing the prognosticators?

Will 2008 leave such a bad taste in Holmgren's mouth that it is a certainty that he will coach again somewhere?

Shouldn't I be doing something more productive than this????

PackerBlues
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Parity reigns supreme!

That about sums it up. Not enough talent in the entire league for any one team to "stack up" with it. (and yet, somehow, the patriots seem to do pretty good for themselves)

Boredom is a bitch!

channtheman
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I think with the talent level throughout the league is fairly even. Obviously there are teams with lesser talent but overall it is balanced out. IMO, pretty much every game comes down to coaching. Is the team prepared each week? Are mental mistakes (ie. flags) minimal? Do they execute plays on offense and defense well? If the coaching is there the team will be great. Right now I don't think we are there.

oregonpackfan
11-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Re: the Lions pitiful won-loss records, they have taken the first step--they fired Matt Millan.

The next steps include finding a new owner and locating to another city, IMO.

Patler
11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Re: the Lions pitiful won-loss records, they have taken the first step--they fired Matt Millan.

Those could take a little longer!

Little Whiskey
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

I agree with the firing of Matt Millen. maybe even replacing the coach. But owners and city have nothing to do with the failure of the franchise. Detroit has given the Lions sellouts....until recently. Maybe the Fords like losing money, (hell what US automaker isn't right now.) but I don't think they are intentially hiring lowsy GM's. Maybe their biggest fault is being too loyal.

CaliforniaCheez
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
The last 15 years or so from the Bungles have been consistant.

Actually in 40 seasons they have 7 seasons of double digit wins. 2 of those in the last 20 years!

In the 18 years since 1990 they have 98 wins or an average of 5.4 wins a season. It takes a lot of seasons below 5 wins to hold that average down.

MJZiggy
11-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Nah, I can't.

FavreChild
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
How in the heck can Arizona be only 5-3, yet lead their division by 3 games?

The NFC West is not good. That's for sure.

At least a decent case can be made that the Cards are worthy of a playoff spot, unlike ANY team in the AFC West. Don't even give me any BS about the Chargers and LT's injury. Boo-f'ing-hoo. They are not a good team. It's that simple.

KYPack
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Look at the start of the season.

Many thought it would come down to the AFC big 3 - NE, Indy, and SD & Dallas with their 32 Pro Bowlers. Now, none of those teams are anything but a darkhorse.

We are struggling, but this season you need to keep treadin' water. Dho knows what the next month will bring?

digitaldean
11-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Ironically, the Lions (thanks to revenue sharing) is one of the only things MAKING money for the Ford family these days.

Tarlam!
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Who knows what the next month will bring?

Well, looking at the Packers' schedule, I think quoting Mr. T is appropriate.

"What do you predict for the fight?" (Clubber Lang)

"Pain"

:oops:

Fritz
11-04-2008, 06:25 AM
The Lions...

The Fords have owned this team since 1964 and have zero Super Bowl appearances to show for it, and I think only one or maybe two League/Conference championship appearances. They're famous for being overly, overly patient (see Millen, Matt) which is why GM's and coaches often speak so favorably of the organization. Since the owner hires the GM who hires the coach who runs the team, the responsibility for the Lions' 44 year run of woe must rest with the owner.

As the the Cowboys, I have said repeatedly that the Cowboys are what happens when you let a fan run a team. This emotional, knee-jerk, fire-the-coach and why-don't-we-sign-every-big-name-free-agent-we-know-of mentality is viscerally satisfying but rarely produces results. The House of Jones is crumbling, and Jones traded away any hope when he gave up his first, third, and sixth for a wide receiver who arguably may not be in the top ten in the league.

So, them's my thoughts.

Ballboy
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I really think Holmgren will end up in Frisco with the mess that they have. Maybe not as a coach, but GM type or special advisor. Can't argue with his winning. He will bring in his type of people that know what the hell they are doing.

DonHutson
11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
When will the writers and broadcasters realize that there are organizational problems in Dallas that will result in the Cowboys always disappointing the prognosticators?

Media preseason prognositications aren't about being right. They're about selling magazines, air time. ad space, etc.

Everybody either loves or hates the Cowboys. Either way, talking about them sells more than talking up some talented but not particularly popular team like Tennessee.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Stats are awesome. I love 'em. Yet good teams are more than .500 this year, but the awful teams make them better.

For example the godawful Lion spike the NFC by at least a win making 10 wins necessary this year most like for the NFC to get into the playoffs. Note: see my thread.