PDA

View Full Version : Allen could miss game vs. Packers

mngolf19
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2108

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed at his press conference that defensive end Jared Allen has an AC sprain in his right shoulder and could miss Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

Allen had an MRI this morning but Childress said he had not met with head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman to discuss the situation before meeting with reporters.

”I don’t know exactly what he will be able to do this week or if he will make it to next weekend,” Childress said.

Childress said AC joint sprains range in severity on a scale from 1 to 3. He didn’t know what Allen’s grade was. He said they typically happen when players get dumped on their shoulders.

“There’s a concern [he could miss the Green Bay game],” Childress said. “That’s a painful injury to live with, particularly with the way he plays.”

Allen suffered the injury in the first but was able to continue to play. We have locker room access later today and we’ll see if Allen is made available.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking he'll play. Hell, he finished the last game. Rodgers is playing with a injury to his THROWING shoulder.

]{ilr]3
11-03-2008, 02:48 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2108

Vikings coach Brad Childress confirmed at his press conference that defensive end Jared Allen has an AC sprain in his right shoulder and could miss Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers.

Allen had an MRI this morning but Childress said he had not met with head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman to discuss the situation before meeting with reporters.

”I don’t know exactly what he will be able to do this week or if he will make it to next weekend,” Childress said.

Childress said AC joint sprains range in severity on a scale from 1 to 3. He didn’t know what Allen’s grade was. He said they typically happen when players get dumped on their shoulders.

“There’s a concern [he could miss the Green Bay game],” Childress said. “That’s a painful injury to live with, particularly with the way he plays.”

Allen suffered the injury in the first but was able to continue to play. We have locker room access later today and we’ll see if Allen is made available.

He must have hurt it during that final lunge trying to destroy Matt Schaubs knee

Rastak
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
He should watch films of Harris trying to destroy Peterson's knee to get the technique down...... :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
He should watch films of Harris trying to destroy Peterson's knee to get the technique down...... :wink:

Didn't Peterson have the ball?

EDIT: Where is the wink emoticon?

EDIT: Quite honestly, I have no problem with a defender tackling a guy low in the open field--especially when you consider that the defender will get steamrolled if he tackles a guy high. Just look at the play in the first game this year. I thought Allen's play was a little iffy. The QB had gotten rid of the ball and Allen came in low and quite late. However, I only saw the play once, so I don't know if he was blocked into him or not.

mngolf19
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM

EDIT: Quite honestly, I have no problem with a defender tackling a guy low in the open field--especially when you consider that the defender will get steamrolled if he tackles a guy high. Just look at the play in the first game this year. I thought Allen's play was a little iffy. The QB had gotten rid of the ball and Allen came in low and quite late. However, I only saw the play once, so I don't know if he was blocked into him or not.

To be honest I wondered about some of his hits yesterday as well. Didn't get to see replays enough to make a good determination.

CaliforniaCheez
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
SO WHAT

Jared Allen didn't have a tackle against the Packers in the first game.

What makes people think the vikings did a good thing by trading away 2 third round picks and a first round pick in the same draft for him and then making him the most expensive defensive player in the history of the league?

Haven't you seen enough viking screw ups by now to start laughing at them??

Remember they took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James in the draft instead of Aaron Rodgers.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Allen has been playing well for them. Early in the season, he wasn't making much of a mark. This is a big game though. These are the types of games he's supposed to make an impact on.

mngolf19
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM
SO WHAT

What makes people think the vikings did a good thing by trading away 2 third round picks and a first round pick in the same draft for him and then making him the most expensive defensive player in the history of the league?

Remember they took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James in the draft instead of Aaron Rodgers.

If you want to get into a pissing match over bad picks, you have plenty of your own. As far as was Allen worth it, completely so far. Stats by an individual at that position are not the complete picture of his value.

Rastak
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
SO WHAT

Jane you ignorant slut,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really know your stuff

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BZnDallas
11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
SO WHAT

If you want to get into a pissing match over bad picks, you have plenty of your own. As far as was Allen worth it, completely so far. Stats by an individual at that position are not the complete picture of his value.

you are quite correct... but when you are THE highest paid player in the league on defense, you better have STATS!... just one mans opinion

Rastak
11-03-2008, 09:22 PM
SO WHAT

you are quite correct... but when you are THE highest paid player in the league on defense, you better have STATS!... just one mans opinion

No, you better make plays, be it flushing the QB into someone elses sack, forced fumbles, sacks and hurries. Forcing double teams , allowing others to make plays. Anybody who watches football knows stats don't ever tell the whole story, especially for lineman on both sides of the ball.

Tarlam!
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
If the Vikes fans are delighted with the guy after paying what seems like a horrendous bill, that's good enough for me. I haven't met Golf, but I have met Ras and he is anything but stupid or biased.

I believe him if he thinks Allen is the real deal and I'm glad he might get a week off; even though Tausch has owned his ass the past two outings!

BZnDallas
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
SO WHAT

No, you better make plays, be it flushing the QB into someone elses sack, forced fumbles, sacks and hurries. Forcing double teams , allowing others to make plays. Anybody who watches football knows stats don't ever tell the whole story, especially for lineman on both sides of the ball.

again rastak i agree! stats don't tell the WHOLE story... but when NO other player in the league ON DEFENSE makes as much as you do... you better have stats TOO!... just being in position to help out your fellow teammates doesn't make the highest paid player worth it... IMO

BZnDallas
11-03-2008, 09:37 PM
i have not met ras, but as long as i have been reading what he writes i agree with the majority of what he says... he seems to have a good football mind... but i know quite a few queen fans down here in Dallas that know a thing or two about the game aswell and they agree... when you make the most money a bit of production on paper is warranted... like i said its just my opinion... i agree that if he's happy with it, fine by me... cause i'm happy with it too!

Rastak
11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
SO WHAT

again rastak i agree! stats don't tell the WHOLE story... but when NO other player in the league ON DEFENSE makes as much as you do... you better have stats TOO!... just being in position to help out your fellow teammates doesn't make the highest paid player worth it... IMO

I hear ya. 7 sacks in 8 games if fine for stats though. The Vikings had plenty of cap space and a need at DE.

I'll compare how is is doing with Green Bay's best DE.

Kampman (I like him too, I ain't rippin on him)

27 tackles
6 sacks
0 forced fumbles

Allen

25 tackles
7 sacks
2 forced fumbles

In addition, Kevin Williams has 7 sacks and Allen certainly helped him.

That's all I'm saying. I know it's hard to refute all of California's finely crafted arguments but them's the facts!

BZnDallas
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
SO WHAT

I hear ya. 7 sacks in 8 games if fine for stats though. The Vikings had plenty of cap space and a need at DE.

I'll compare how is is doing with Green Bay's best DE.

Kampman (I like him too, I ain't rippin on him)

27 tackles
6 sacks
0 forced fumbles

Allen

25 tackles
7 sacks
2 forced fumbles

In addition, Kevin Williams has 7 sacks and Allen certainly helped him.

That's all I'm saying. I know it's hard to refute all of California's finely crafted arguments but them's the facts!

lol... i can dig that rastak... he does have some decent numbers, but i'll take kampys 27 tackles and 6 sacks for 4 years 21 mill over allens 25,7,2 for 6 years 73+ million...

Tarlam!
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
lol... i can dig that rastak... he does have some decent numbers, but i'll take kampys 27 tackles and 6 sacks for 4 years 21 mill over allens 25,7,2 for 6 years 73+ million...

Match point, Ras....

Rastak
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Dallas, how many wins in the standings is extra cap space worth? None.

You have a need, you get the guy you need.

I like what Rodgers has done....but

Rodgers 64 mil

Frerotte alot less

both teams records 4-4.

One last thought, today's overpay is tomorrows bargin. Salaries ain't going down.

edit: anyway, good to talk football with a poster who doesn't spew crap but makes his argument.

Tarlam!
11-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Deuce

BZnDallas
11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Dallas, how many wins in the standings is extra cap space worth? None.

You have a need, you get the guy you need.

I like what Rodgers has done....but

Rodgers 64 mil

Frerotte alot less

both teams records 4-4.

One last thought, today's overpay is tomorrows bargin. Salaries ain't going down.

edit: anyway, good to talk football with a poster who doesn't spew crap but makes his argument.

lol... we could go down both rosters and determine who the better bargain is ... AR qb rating of 95.3 (6) vs. GF 77.6 (22), () = nfl ranking...but i'm in agreement with Tarlam, if ya'll are happy with paying allen that type of money for the production on and off the stat book... that is fine by me, b/c i'm happy with it aswell...

i do like talking football with you too... so much better than name calling and all that other hoopla... hahaha... have a nice night

Rastak
11-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I ain't paying it!

Anyway, good nite to you too.
Should be a good one on Sunday.

3irty1
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
He must have hurt it during that final lunge trying to destroy Matt Schaubs knee

Thank God Schaub only lost a knee. Its always sad when someone gets hit by a drunk driver. :rs:

Partial
11-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Thank God Schaub only lost a knee. Its always sad when someone gets hit by a drunk driver. :rs:

That's not really funny at all dude.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I haven't met Golf, but I have met Ras and he is anything but stupid or biased.

He's not stupid, but I'd argue that he's biased.
:D

Partial
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Kampman really has 6 sacks already? Wow, I'm surprised. I would have guessed 2.

Bretsky
11-03-2008, 10:50 PM

I'd bet he's argue the same of you :lol:

Tarlam!
11-04-2008, 01:45 AM

O.K. He's biased. And he IS stupid! He's a Vikings Fan. How "stupider" can anyone get!! :twisted:

Rastak
11-04-2008, 05:59 AM

I just thank my lucky stars we have this forum where everyone else but Golf at least is unbiased and I can get the straight story.

:lol:

mngolf19
11-04-2008, 08:07 AM

I just thank my lucky stars we have this forum where everyone else but Golf at least is unbiased and I can get the straight story.

:lol:

here, here :)

vince
11-05-2008, 04:32 PM
They're calling his shoulder sprain a 3rd degree sprain. Here's info about that... (http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec21/ch309/ch309e.html)

Third-degree sprains may result in joint instability and are differentiated from 2nd-degree sprains by stress testing. Third-degree tendon tears disrupt muscle function. Treatment of all tears includes analgesics, immobilization, and, for some 3rd-degree sprains and tendon tears, surgical repair.

{ilr]3]He must have hurt it during that final lunge trying to destroy Matt Schaubs knee
Is Allen a dirty player? Here are the plays against Schaub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXzt-2ENd8) You make the call. I for one am glad for Rodgers and the Packers that he's likely out this week. Highly questionable plays there.

Rastak
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
After finally seeing the replay I thought it was very uncalled for. I haven't seen dirty play from him before that so I'm not sure what to think.

He played a great second half, even with the injury so we'll see what happens Sunday.

sharpe1027
11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Maybe, but I don't recall seeing Allen do much of hose things on your list in the first game. :lol:

Rastak
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM

Maybe, but I don't recall seeing Allen do much of hose things on your list in the first game. :lol:

True enough. He's had two games where he didn't make a big impact and that was one. He had a couple where he played well and about 4 where he wrecked havoc.

I'm cool with his play so far. Teams can scheme to take certain players out of the game although in Green Bay's case it seemed Clifton just did a great job.

Patler
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
After finally seeing the replay I thought it was very uncalled for. I haven't seen dirty play from him before that so I'm not sure what to think.

I wonder if he will hear from the league about those. The first looked like he had lost his balance and sort of dove toward the QB. The second was sort of a roll effort to take his legs out, and even looked a little late, to boot.

Both are the sort of thing the league is concerned with because the QB is a sitting duck back there. As active as the league has been in fining players for other things, it wouldn't surprise me if he received a fine.

Patler
11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Teams can scheme to take certain players out of the game although in Green Bay's case it seemed Clifton just did a great job.

Clifton should be well-rested. He has had three weeks off!

Rastak
11-05-2008, 06:11 PM

I wonder if he will hear from the league about those. The first looked like he had lost his balance and sort of dove toward the QB. The second was sort of a roll effort to take his legs out, and even looked a little late, to boot.

Both are the sort of thing the league is concerned with because the QB is a sitting duck back there. As active as the league has been in fining players for other things, it wouldn't surprise me if he received a fine.

I'm guessing his wallett will be lighter. After looking at the reply a couple more times, I wonder if he didn't realize the ball had been thrown. He was getting up from the ground when it happened. Either way, it was a low hit that he should be fined for. If he knew the ball was gone then it REALLY was cheap.

As a side note, it is sounding like a fairly serious injury so he may very well be out Sunday.

Guiness
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
After seeing the replays Vince posted I'm thinking he's going to get fined.

The first one didn't look so bad - he was way off balance, and trying to lunge towards the QB - but that second one should cost him a gamecheck!

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
After seeing the replays Vince posted I'm thinking he's going to get fined.

The first one didn't look so bad - he was way off balance, and trying to lunge towards the QB - but that second one should cost him a gamecheck!

That'd be a lotta jack.

He carries a big ticket to the pay window.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
It's hard to measure intent, but I honestly think they looked worse than they were. On the first one, he was stumbling and bumbling. Kind of the same with the second one. He stumbled a bit and was low to the ground. He may get fined, but I wouldn't label him dirty off those two plays.

On a side note, I haven't liked him since he showed he was a poor loser after the Packers beat the Chiefs last year.

Chevelle2
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
On a side note, I haven't liked him since he showed he was a poor loser after the Packers beat the Chiefs last year.

What did he do?

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 10:50 PM

What did he do?

He was up for giving Clifton any credit for shutting him down. He did give him credit after game one this year, I think, but the damage was done. Maybe it was the ugly Joe Dirt mohawk that turned me off.

vince
11-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Didn't he say taht he wanted to hurt Rodgers or something to that effect this offseason?

KYPack
11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Didn't he say taht he wanted to hurt Rodgers or something to that effect this offseason?

Yeah, he did.

Allen and Pat Williams were shootin' their mouths off pretty good in August about the first game:

This is Allen's quote

"Playing Green Bay on Monday night to start the season – that’s everything you want. Hopefully, I can put my helmet square in the back of [Rodgers'] spine. If I can do that and knock the ball loose, it’ll be a good day."

A lot of people made something of the "helmet square in the back of his spine" deal after the ball game.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Given his Hovan-esque hatred of the Packers QB, I find it difficult to believe that he's going to miss the game.

SnakeLH2006
11-07-2008, 12:52 AM
SO WHAT

This man's opinion too. Highest paid Defensive NFL player EVER? Better show up on stat sheets, cuz those other things are cool Rastak, IF, and IF you aren't the highest paid defensive NFL player in history. Like Reggie Whitish shit, not take one for team but I gave effort Gilbert Brownish shit. But hey, that's Snake's Take, and I'm damn glad I didn't give up half a draft and a HUGE contract to sign some redneck named J. Allen.

Go Pack this week!!! 8-) :lol: :lol:

]{ilr]3
11-07-2008, 05:27 PM

Looks like the NFL had a pretty big problem with it:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/07/allen-fined-50000/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXzt-2ENd8

ALLEN FINED $50,000
Posted by Mike Florio on November 7, 2008, 4:00 p.m.
Updating prior reports, Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Vikings defensive end Jared Allen has been fined $50,000 for a total of two improper hits applied to Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.

The hits violated Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12(5) of the NFL Official Playing Rules: “A rushing defender who has an unrestricted path to the passer from any direction is prohibited from forcibly hitting the passer in the knee area or below.”

Allen has said he’ll appeal the fines. But he should be glad he wasn’t suspended. Allen rolls his shoulder pad area into Schaub’s legs in both instances. Allen knew what he was doing; he wanted to knock Schaub out of the game. Here’s the video, once again.

RashanGary
11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
He's very funny and outgoing. I heard him on the radio and I was laughing my ass off. I like players that want to crush the opposition. NOthing wrong with that, although it's probably stupid ot fire up the competition.

RashanGary
11-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I didn't think those hits were too bad. The first one, he was rounding the corner so low that he had no choice. The second was borderline.

Now, when we play them, I would fully expect we take chip shots at his injured shoulder.

RashanGary
11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
And for the record, I think Allen will play. I see Chilly as a sneaky little liar.

CaliforniaCheez
11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
SO WHAT

There is always next year.

Maybe there will be a Jared Allen sighting at a Packer's game then; or the year after that.