PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn to start for Browns

Brando19
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3680927

Quarterback Derek Anderson has been benched by the Cleveland Browns, who will start popular backup Brady Quinn on Thursday night against the Denver Broncos.

The switch was confirmed Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!" for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

Patler
11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
and just yesterday he said Anderson was their QB "for now". I guess that meant until he watched the game films!

Mazzin
11-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I expect B. Quinn to do better than Anderson...he wasn't thought of as much leaving Balt. And with the talent around that team on OFFENSE Quinn could light that shit up.

Brando19
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
I expect B. Quinn to do better than Anderson...he wasn't thought of as much leaving Balt. And with the talent around that team on OFFENSE Quinn could light that shit up.

Hope so...I just started him on my Fantasy team.

FavreChild
11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Give me a B-U-S-T!

mraynrand
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM

It will take some time though, I suspect. But at least he has an upside. Why the Brownies were so confident with Anderson going in this year is a good example of delusional thinking.

Mazzin
11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Thank you mr. I appreciate your response...and im sorry for acting like a jerk.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Give me a B-U-S-T!

I appreciate the sentiment, but take this talk to the garbage can.

FavreChild
11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh, well if this thread is getting moved to the GC, then I feel much more comfortable simply saying that Brady Quinn fucking sucks.

Bretsky
11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Give me a B-U-S-T!

I knew it :!: :lol:

mraynrand
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM

No worries. I do need to get out of the basement from time to time....

Tarlam!
11-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Come on Ray. I think she meant it with the "mea culpa".

mraynrand
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Come on Ray. I think she meant it with the "mea culpa".

as did I about the basement.

Guiness
11-04-2008, 07:35 AM
The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!"
Most popular guy on the team is the backup Quarterback...

Badgerinmaine
11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Weird to make the change in a short week to prepare...some rumors suggest the Browns were afraid the fans would skewer Anderson if he got off to a bad start and it would mess up the other players...interesting.

GoPackGo
11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
What do Derrick Anderson, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Romeo Crennell all have in common? They all have failed their team this year. The decision to bench Anderson shows the Browns are playing for next year and want to get a look at Quinn now.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-04-2008, 03:12 PM
One day of practice for Quinn. Yikes!

KYPack
11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
That Anderson is tough to figure out. One game, he looks like a Tom Brady clone. The next week, he'll look like a lost puppy.

I guess Romeo is an old school coach and wants to stick with one starter. You'd have thought he would have worked Quinn into the mix before this.

Savage the GM will blame everyone in the world but himself if the Browns don't have a good season.

Badgerinmaine
11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
What do Derrick Anderson, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Romeo Crennell all have in common? They all have failed their team this year. The decision to bench Anderson shows the Browns are playing for next year and want to get a look at Quinn now.

Or, is it Romeo Crennel trying to pull out all the stops to save his job during a disappointing season?

GoPackGo
11-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Or, is it Romeo Crennel trying to pull out all the stops to save his job during a disappointing season?

I don't know if starting a rookie QB is a good idea when trying to save ones job. Its possible that starting Quinn wasn't what Crennell wanted to do. He might have been ordered to do it by his superiors.

KYPack
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
There is a lot of speculation that this is also salary cap based.

If they bench Anderson, eventually cutting him, they save a pile of cash.

The GM up there has run that franchise in the ground with several foolsih deals (Corey Williams trade, anyone?) and getting rid of Anderson can help save cap & cash.

It's probably part performance, part $, part coach & GM trying to save their gigs.

oregonpackfan
11-04-2008, 07:56 PM
I heard on talk radio that much of Anderson's problems had much to do with dropped passes by his receivers than poor play by Anderson. Braylon Edwards leads the NFL in dropped passes.

This season, Anderson had one stretch of 132 passes in a row without an interception.

I suspect Brady Quinn will not have the immediate "Star" performances that some of the Browns fans think he will have.

Derek Anderson replaced as starter with Brady Quinn
Posted by Aaron Fentress, The Oregonian November 03, 2008 15:54PM
Categories: Beavers, Breaking News, NFL Local Ties

The Cleveland Browns announced Monday that Brady Quinn will start the team's Thursday night game against Denver.

The decision came after Cleveland's 37-27 home loss to Baltimore on Sunday that knocked the Browns to 3-5. Anderson completed 17 of 33 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

But that interception was returned 42 yards for a touchdown by Baltimore's Terrell Suggs with 2:43 remaining in the game and Cleveland driving to try and erase a 30-27 deficit.

According to an ESPN.com report, the decision to bench Anderson was made after coach Romeo Crennel had told the media during his Monday press conference that Anderson was still his starter.

With the playoffs now a long shot the team likely wants to see what it has in Quinn, a first-round draft pick in 2007.

Anderson, after a breakout season a year ago in which he threw 27 touchdown passes, has struggled this season with nine touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

Aaron Fentress; aaronfentress@news.oregonian.com

GoPackGo
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
I heard on talk radio that much of Anderson's problems had much to do with dropped passes by his receivers than poor play by Anderson. Braylon Edwards leads the NFL in dropped passes.

Its easy to point at Edwards dropped passes but DA is completeing 49% of his passes. If Braylon makes all those catches it gets him to around 51-52%. 60% is the minimum acceptable number for an NFL QB.