PDA

View Full Version : Our time is n.....um, er, in 1000 days!!

HowardRoark
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh, oh. Looks like it's time for a reality check. Could be a long and tough fall for some of our friends on the Left. Here is some advise:

1. Reinvent your routine - if you're used to dancing with saucer eyes most Saturdays then it might be wise to avoid clubbing for a while. It doesn't have to be forever, just long enough for you to get back in touch with having a good time on your own terms.

2. Tell your friends - there's no shame in wanting to straighten out, either for a temporary period or permanently. So let your mates know beforehand. That way, they're less likely to wave temptation under your nose at a time when you're fighting not to give up on giving up.

3. Fill your time - avoiding temptation is one thing, but that doesn't amount to much if you're left with nothing to do but stare at the telly. So be creative with your time, and do things your habit would've otherwise prevented - like driving a car or talking sense.

By Tim Reid, The Times of London

Barack Obama's senior advisers have drawn up plans to lower expectations for his presidency if he wins next week's election, amid concerns that many of his euphoric supporters are harboring unrealistic hopes of what he can achieve.

The sudden financial crisis and the prospect of a deep and painful recession have increased the urgency inside the Obama team to bring people down to earth, after a campaign in which his soaring rhetoric and promises of "hope" and "change" are now confronted with the reality of a stricken economy.

One senior adviser told The Times that the first few weeks of the transition, immediately after the election, were critical, "so there's not a vast mood swing from exhilaration and euphoria to despair."

The aide said that Obama himself was the first to realize that expectations risked being inflated.

In an interview with a Colorado radio station, Obama appeared to be engaged already in expectation lowering. Asked about his goals for the first hundred days, he said he would need more time to tackle such big and costly issues as health care reform, global warming and Iraq.

"The first hundred days is going to be important, but it's probably going to be the first thousand days that makes the difference," he said. He has also been reminding crowds in recent days how "hard" it will be to achieve his goals, and that it will take time.

Bossman641
11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
WHAT??? We were all promised hope and change.

Where is the instant gratification? Where are the magical unicorns that will leave behind trails of money?

I feel so cheated

Joemailman
11-03-2008, 11:09 PM
You mean Obama is saying he can't fix 8 years of incompetence in a week? Shit.

Bretsky
11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Voting tomorrow will be like casting a ballot on who wins the Super Bowl between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears

Partial
11-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Voting tomorrow will be like casting a ballot on who wins the Super Bowl between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears

It's worse than that... 4 super bowls...

But in all seriousness, it will be pretty awful. Welcome to soviet America.

GoPackGo
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm not crazy about Obama, McCain, or their running mates. This is going to suck, just like the canidates have sucked every 4 years since Reagan

digitaldean
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM

Nice analogy, B.

That being said, those are the cards we're dealt and we have to pick one of them.

GrnBay007
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Nice analogy, B.

That being said, those are the cards we're dealt and we have to pick one of them.

In other words.....

Pick your poison. :D

HowardRoark
11-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Wait! Hold it, I thought Bush was dumb and Cheney was the anti-Christ. Now the New York Times of all papers says that there might be some bad, bad people down in Gitmo. "Sobering" they say. No. That can't be.

What the hell is going on out there? Well, at least under an Obama regime the papers will start doing their jobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/us/03gitmo.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Senators John McCain and Barack Obama have said they would close the detention camp, but the review of the government’s public files underscores the challenges of fulfilling that promise. The next president will have to contend with sobering intelligence claims against many of the remaining detainees.

“It would be very difficult for a new president to come in and say, ‘I don’t believe what the C.I.A. is saying about these guys,’ ” said Daniel Marcus, a Democrat who was general counsel of the 9/11 Commission and held senior positions in the Carter and Clinton administrations.

SkinBasket
11-04-2008, 07:04 AM
They make it sound like the plan was for Obama or McCain to go down there, hug them, give them hope and or a stern talking to, and set them free.

mraynrand
11-04-2008, 07:53 AM
WHAT??? We were all promised hope and change.

Where is the instant gratification? Where are the magical unicorns that will leave behind trails of money?

I feel so cheated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

You won't be alone.

Zool
11-04-2008, 07:56 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/burtmommie/churchsign.jpg

Zool
11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
http://azbattlerifles.com/images/sky-is-falling.jpg