PDA

View Full Version : TT pulls slick maneuver with ARod's contract

KYPack
11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
TT and the Packers braintrust must have stayed up late dreaming this move up. This is from PFT and other sources:

As it turns out, the contract signed by the Packers and Aaron Rodgers was completed on Saturday, November 1. The fact that it didn’t show up on a computer system available to teams prompted some to conclude that the deal wasn’t completed before the November 3 deadline for counting 2008 salary increases against the 2008 salary cap.

So the Packers were able to take advantage of this tweak in the rules.

And did they ever.

Rodgers’ 2008 base salary was increase from $680,000 to a whopping $23.7 million. Since half the 2008 season is over, he’ll receive $12.9 million in total 2008 base salary. (The numbers were first reported by Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.)

Rodgers also is due to receive a $7.42 million roster bonus in early 2009, which as we’re told is fully guaranteed for skill and injury.

Per Demovsky, the deal includes non-guaranteed base salaries of $680,000 in 2009, $6 million in 2010, $7.25 million in 2011, $8 million in 2012, $9.25 million in 2013, and $10.5 million in 2014.

In the end, Rodgers’ cap number for 2008 went from $1.7 million to $13.9 million. And this means that the Packers are now well above the cap floor — and that they still have more than $8 million or so to spend in 2008, if they so choose.

Have any Rats ever gotten 23.7 mil in one annual salary period?

They can sign on or two guys with back weighted deals now.

Not bad there, Teddy & the boys.

Rastak
11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh I assumed they'd cram every last drop into this year. It has a couple small risks but I think it's the smartest way to go.

red
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
i think we're really going to miss brandt

these nembers don't look good to me at all

monster number this year, monster number next year, monster numbers throughout the whole thing

it almost looks like we didn't gain a thing by front loading the shit out of the deal

woodson also signed a massive deal, but wasn't it all front loaded? making his cap numbers very friendly for the rest of the deal

a-rods deal does not do that at all

sheepshead
11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I was wondering about this too. I would like someone to air this one out. I'll be glued to Fox news for the next 12 hours however!

:-P

Patler
11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
i think we're really going to miss brandt

these nembers don't look good to me at all

monster number this year, monster number next year, monster numbers throughout the whole thing

it almost looks like we didn't gain a thing by front loading the shit out of the deal

woodson also signed a massive deal, but wasn't it all front loaded? making his cap numbers very friendly for the rest of the deal

a-rods deal does not do that at all

Rodgers deal is fine, I think, because there is very little guaranteed money counting against future caps. The 2010-2014 salaries are not guaranteed, so he is either deserving of it and getting it, or he will be gone and not counting much against the cap. I'm assuming the roster bonus in 2009 will have some carry-forward impact. It doesn't seem that this years money has any carry-forward impact.Only 2009 appears to have guaranteed "new" money after this year.

The totals counting against the 2009-2014 caps are not that big, comparatively speaking. Favre counted about $10 million or more against the cap each year since 2003, and in 2003 the total cap was only $75 million. After this season, Rodgers proportionate share of the available cap (so long as there is a cap!) will not be all that much. In this period of rapidly escalating salaries, Rodgers salaries won't be that bad, especially since they are not guaranteed. That was also the good thing about Favre, as of several years ago already he was on a "pay as you go" schedule, with little dead money against future caps if he wasn't playing.

It looks like Rodgers counts a lot this year, and only $7.42 million is guaranteed to count against future caps. The rest is "pay as you play".

KYPack
11-04-2008, 05:45 PM
There's a bit of frontloading in this deal. Half of his 23.7 '08 base is booked this season.

This is a deal for an elite QB. You won't find any other marquee QB's with a frontloaded deal in the league. You can do it for top corners or even backers, but q QB's comp package is too big to front load.

We won't miss Brandt even a little bit. TT is real savvy about this stuff and our new cap dude is no NFL rook, he'll do just fine.

There is salary to disperse over time, sure, but it's in line with other QB deals ands surly doesn't do a Sherman-esque cap choke. We did OK on this package for Rodgers.

RashanGary
11-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Starting last year, into this year and looking forward into the imediate future, this team should have a lot of success. There is no reason they should not be competitive for a long time just looking at young talent and cap space. Eventually, hopefully, we'll hit the cap but when that happens hopefully it happens because we have so much damn talent not because we made so damn many bad decisons.

packrat
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
That's what's worrying me. It is going to reach a point where we can't squeeze in the Jennings, Collins, Bigby, Williams, Crosby and other players who will deserve big paydays, so we are going to have to start replacing good players with rookies, just to keep under the cap. The Patriots have been fairly successful with that, though they have the advantage of some players willing to play for less than market value just to be on a winner. Maybe the Pack can get itself into that category, too.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:15 PM
TT and the Packers braintrust must have stayed up late dreaming this move up. This is from PFT and other sources:

As it turns out, the contract signed by the Packers and Aaron Rodgers was completed on Saturday, November 1. The fact that it didn’t show up on a computer system available to teams prompted some to conclude that the deal wasn’t completed before the November 3 deadline for counting 2008 salary increases against the 2008 salary cap.

So the Packers were able to take advantage of this tweak in the rules.

And did they ever.

Rodgers’ 2008 base salary was increase from $680,000 to a whopping $23.7 million. Since half the 2008 season is over, he’ll receive $12.9 million in total 2008 base salary. (The numbers were first reported by Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.)

Rodgers also is due to receive a $7.42 million roster bonus in early 2009, which as we’re told is fully guaranteed for skill and injury.

Per Demovsky, the deal includes non-guaranteed base salaries of $680,000 in 2009, $6 million in 2010, $7.25 million in 2011, $8 million in 2012, $9.25 million in 2013, and $10.5 million in 2014.

In the end, Rodgers’ cap number for 2008 went from $1.7 million to $13.9 million. And this means that the Packers are now well above the cap floor — and that they still have more than $8 million or so to spend in 2008, if they so choose.

Have any Rats ever gotten 23.7 mil in one annual salary period?

They can sign on or two guys with back weighted deals now.

Not bad there, Teddy & the boys.

Wow, if true, that is crazy. I liked the deal initially, yet thought it was premature to give ARod this deal after 7 games when Romo had to wait 17 games (and won games to boot).

Yet if we pay a bunch to eat the cap this year with the previous 20 million plus and 8.2 million after that bonus next year for "reasonable" salaries for the rest of his deal, esp. when QB contracts go up and up....this looks good as long he stays healthy and matures and gets better.

WOW. Good cap move TT if it pans out as this move allows GB to stay under 20 million to sign ANY of our guys for many years...as I think this is TT's master plan (a good one) to stay in the top 5 under the cap EVERY year here on out. Good stuff. Let's just hope ARod is worth a top 5 salary in the NFL for ANY player as of right now.

His production is pretty good, but can he win games? The jury is out yet.