PDA

View Full Version : Raiders are on the verge of releasing CB DeAngelo Hall.

packers11
11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
www.rotoworld.com

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Raiders are on the verge of releasing CB DeAngelo Hall.

Stunning. The Raiders parted with a second round pick and $8 million dollars for the opportunity to play him half of one season.

Brando19
11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Just goes to show how messed up things are in Oakland. Players must really want to go there...all you do is sign a contract for millions of dollars and move on after a few months.

packers11
11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Ahmad Carroll part 2???

K I won't go that far :lol: :wink:

packers11
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
pft.com

HALL OUT IN OAKLAND?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2008, 8:24 p.m.
Wow.

The DeAngelo Hall experiment in Oakland could be ending, as soon as Wednesday.

Wow.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Raiders would make the move in order to avoid $16 million in injury-guaranteed bonuses.

Schefter reports that the move was going to be made on Tuesday, but that the team decided to wait a day.

If/when Hall is cut, he will have been paid $8 million for eight games, and the Raiders will have squandered a second-round pick.

On one hand, it’s another sign that the Raiders are horribly dysfunctional. On the other hand, at least the Raiders are willing to acknowledge their blunder and not compound it by paying him another $16 million.

Hall would go through waivers, but it’s highly unlikely that anyone would pick up his contract. If no one bites, he’d then become an unrestricted free agent.

As Schefter points out, the teams most interested in Hall when he was traded by the Falcons were the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys.

Our guess is that the Cowboys will bring him in as an alternative to Mike “Tiptoe Matador” Jenkins.

mission
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
That article looks right. I'm sure Dallas has a spot for him.

In before the "maybe he's worth a look" post :lol:

KYPack
11-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Hall is a solid CB. I'm sure you saw him play, Mission.

He just got all screwed up in "The Davis Zone".

Yeah, Dallas needs a solid CB. They can add Hall and cut poor, sick, Adam Jones.

gbpackfan
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hall is anything but a solid CB IMO. He was over-rated in Atlanta and he just plain sucked in Oakland. It always burned me when he got picked to the pro-bowl year after year by name alone.

oregonpackfan
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Ahmad Carroll part 2???

K I won't go that far :lol: :wink:

Maybe Joey Thomas and Ahmad Carroll can join up to be teammates again! :)

KYPack
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Hall is anything but a solid CB IMO. He was over-rated in Atlanta and he just plain sucked in Oakland. It always burned me when he got picked to the pro-bowl year after year by name alone.

He's having a bad year. Oakland does that to you.

Hall may have been overrated, but he was a solid CB. Good against the run, good in coverage with a tendency to gamble too much. I'd take him on my team if he's got his head on straight. He's a big mouth, needs to lose the bullshit and play.

He requires supervison, but suck?

No, he is a capable CB.

Zool
11-04-2008, 10:46 PM

He's having a bad year. Oakland does that to you.

Hall may have been overrated, but he was a solid CB. Good against the run, good in coverage with a tendency to gamble too much. I'd take him on my team if he's got his head on straight. He's a big mouth, needs to lose the bullshit and play.

He requires supervison, but suck?

No, he is a capable CB.

I think getting $8mil puts a new standard on you, fair or no.

KYPack
11-04-2008, 11:05 PM
It's actually 16 million this year and would be 16 million next season.

They've paid him 8 million and owe him 8 million more if he's plays out the year

The Raiders cut him, eat the mil a game they've been paying him and avoid paying the 24 mil they would have to pay him for the balance of the year and a half.

The first point was that Hall sucked as a corner. That ain't true. Was he worth 16 mil a year? HELL NO.

To think they had a guy they could've paid less right on their roster two years ago, boggles the mind. You can see why CWood is so happy to be a Packer. Now he's gone from Pro Football hell.

Yes, Grandpa Al has blissfully lost it.

Zool
11-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Agreed he doesnt suck, but since his fast start in the league he sure seems to have leveled off and possibly regressed. Having Asomugha on the other side has probably hurt his numbers. Teams tend to throw away from him.

Guiness
11-04-2008, 11:23 PM

They've paid him 8 million and owe him 8 million more if he's plays out the year

The Raiders cut him, eat the mil a game they've been paying him and avoid paying the 24 mil they would have to pay him for the balance of the year and a half.

The first point was that Hall sucked as a corner. That ain't true. Was he worth 16 mil a year? HELL NO.

To think they had a guy they could've paid less right on their roster two years ago, boggles the mind. You can see why CWood is so happy to be a Packer. Now he's gone from Pro Football hell.

He'd be a vested veteran, wouldn't he? How do they get out of paying him the other $8mil this year - unless it's written as being incentives.

If this is true, other than wildly overpaying Hall, the contract might even be decently written. If it's a 2yr, $16mil contract, and they can get out after 8 games for $8mil, then there's no long term cap hit.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Personally here's Snake's Take:

Hall is a decent CB. Is here worth the money? OH HELL NO!

Dude has gotten torched for many years, but his flashiness and speed have ALWAYS gotten the attention and too many Pro-Bowl votes when others (C-Wood, Al ((years ago, not now)) have been much better game managers and shut-down corners).

Dude puts up numbers but is vastly overrated. But Al Davis is senile and none of this matters as he should cut Javon and his 11 million salary yesterday. What a joke the Raiders are. 8-)

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

He'd be a vested veteran, wouldn't he? How do they get out of paying him the other $8mil this year - unless it's written as being incentives.

If this is true, other than wildly overpaying Hall, the contract might even be decently written. If it's a 2yr, $16mil contract, and they can get out after 8 games for $8mil, then there's no long term cap hit.

I think it is 16 mil per year in total. If they can cut him half way thru and only owe him 8mil, he's stupid and has a dumber agent. If he signed regular contract, the Raiders would owe the balance of the rest of the year, the 8 million. It will all come out in the next few days.

The goofy Raiders are also rumored to be cutting both Tommy Kelley (a very ordinary DE/DT) and our old buddy, Javon Walker. Walker and Kelley both inked huge deals way out of line with their recent production. It looks like they will both be on the streets in the coming months.

Man, what a zoo Oakland is now. I thought they couldn't be any more screwed up!

Patler
11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I have not seen anything specific, but it does appear that Hall's contract is a bit unusual, with some sort of mid season bonus or something contributing to the $8 million for the remainder of the season. Maybe it is something like what the Packers used with Woodson and many others, a bonus tied to being on the roster on game days. If the player is released or injured, he doesn't get it. The concept isn't unusual, but the amount tied to it would be if that is the case.

run pMc
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Talented player. Takes too many chances and might not be a "team player" based on his outbursts in ATL. Then again, maybe he's just super competitive and hated losing so much.
I think he's a decent CB, but I also think he's overrated and there are other CB's who have been more worthy of a Pro Bowl nod.
TT will never touch him, but he could step in and be a starter on almost any team. DAL looks like a logical place for him.

I'd say this proves Al Davis has lost his mind, if there wasn't already so much proof. To give up a R2 and all that money for a half season of a CB is a scary move.
Would you rather have Tramon Williams or DeAngelo Hall? (Tramon counts a bit less against the cap.)

Who has been the worse GM over the last 5 years: Al Davis or Matt Millen?

Guiness
11-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Kelley as well? I remember when they signed him - made a big deal of it. Some 'blow sunshine up your ass' national writers said it was a great signing, he was a player on the verge of breakout, etc.

Most, however, said Oakland was pulling the whole salary structure for DT's out of whack and make it a lot harder for other team to sign their guys!

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Well the other shoe finally hit the floor.

They released Hall today.

Kelly and Javon Walker lived to play another day and rob Al for another week at least.

They did release former Packer Robert Thomas and several other boys I've really never heard of.

No wonder Mad is a Packer fan. It's tough to root for those lousy Bay area teams.

Guiness
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
The other thread on the NFL 'all disappointment team' reminded me of DeAngelo and this thread.

Did anyone ever see anything about how the Raider got away with only paying him $8mil of a contract that supposedly had $24.5mil guaranteed? There were a few hypotheses in here...

Fritz
01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Talented player. Takes too many chances and might not be a "team player" based on his outbursts in ATL. Then again, maybe he's just super competitive and hated losing so much.
I think he's a decent CB, but I also think he's overrated and there are other CB's who have been more worthy of a Pro Bowl nod.
TT will never touch him, but he could step in and be a starter on almost any team. DAL looks like a logical place for him.

I'd say this proves Al Davis has lost his mind, if there wasn't already so much proof. To give up a R2 and all that money for a half season of a CB is a scary move.
Would you rather have Tramon Williams or DeAngelo Hall? (Tramon counts a bit less against the cap.)

Who has been the worse GM over the last 5 years: Al Davis or Matt Millen?

Now there's a topic that could cause raging debate.

Cue the banjo music in the background...as Al Davis signs DeAngelo Hall to a monster contract, then releases him....

Cue corresponding guitar pickin' in the background, as Matt Millen drafts Charles Rogers...and then Mike Williams....

Duke it out, fellas!

Partial
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Al Davis is beyond awful. Millen was also pretty bad. Millen admits he would have fired himself, so at least he has analytical skills.

Davis will be there forever. He's never going to croak, and the Raiders will forever suck.