PDA

View Full Version : At 4-4...What record WILL get GB in the playoffs in 2008?

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Real tough game this last week vs. Tennessee. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that thought we outplayed the Titans for most of the game until our defense softened late in the 4th and in OT. Are we better than 4-4? Maybe. Maybe 5-3, but even at 5-3 would currently put us into a tie for #5-9 in the resurgent NFC.

It looks like with the Colts, NE, Jacksonville declining from last year, that the AFC is the softer conference for the first time in some time.

In our own conference it looks like the NFC East is tough as hell, and will get better when Romo gets healthy as they will at this point take up the wildcard slots, thus meaning, unless we get hot, we'll have to win the NFC North.

Our own division is weird. Can Grossman/Orton win it? Maybe. The Vikes may win 10 games. The crapshoot is that the Lions are so bad that other NFC teams should wax them steadlily thus make the playoffs at least a 10 win affair in the NFC as of now or maybe 11.

I think we have enough talent to win the division and make a run with some wins regardless of schedule, yet I truly believe that it will take 11 wins to make the playoffs this year if tiebreakers come up with the NFC East.

-Snake's Take-

It'll be tough and don't know if we do it, but the Bears look pretty good regardless of QB and this next game is win-or-die with the ViQueens.

My vote is it will take 11 wins to make the playoffs. Your take??

KGB isn't here to do this to Rex anymore. :shock: :lol:

http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/kgb-rex-nye_priceless2.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
11 wins? You really think Chicago will go at least 5-1 in the 6 games they don't play us with Rex as their QB for a month? You think Minnesota will go at least 6-2, possibly 7-1 depending on the tiebreaker, without Kevin and Pat Williams for 4 games?

I'm thinking there's a good chance that 9-7 wins the division, if we win the tiebreaker. I'd be SHOCKED if 10-6 didn't win this division.

We only have to finish ahead of two of those 10 teams. The two in our division.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:03 PM
11 wins? You really think Chicago will go at least 5-1 in the 6 games they don't play us with Rex as their QB for a month? You think Minnesota will go at least 6-2, possibly 7-1 depending on the tiebreaker, without Kevin and Pat Williams for 4 games?

I'm thinking there's a good chance that 9-7 wins the division, if we win the tiebreaker. I'd be SHOCKED if 10-6 didn't win this division.

We only have to finish ahead of two of those 10 teams. The two in our division.

Yes, 9-7 may make it as would 10-6, but what the question was what would GUARANTEE the playoffs. 10-6 maybe....9-7 implies tiebreakers, so 9-7 is out IMO. 10-6 maybe...I stand by 11-5 to guarantee the NFC North.

HarveyWallbangers
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, you didn't mention tiebreakers. Technically, it will take 8-0 to "guarantee" the division. That would mean we'd be 12-4--while Minnesota and Chicago could be no better than 11-5.

If we win the next two weeks, I'll say 10-6 wins the division. If we win the 4 division games (Chicago twice, Minnesota, and Detroit), I'm guessing it would only take 9-7. I don't see Chicago going 5-1 in their other 6 games. I don't see Minnesota finishing 6-1 in their last 7 games.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, you didn't mention tiebreakers. Technically, it will take 8-0 to "guarantee" the division. That would mean we'd be 12-4--while Minnesota and Chicago could be no better than 11-5.

If we win the next two weeks, I'll say 10-6 wins the division. If we win the 4 division games (Chicago twice, Minnesota, and Detroit), I'm guessing it would only take 9-7. I don't see Chicago going 5-1 in their other 6 games. I don't see Minnesota finishing 6-1 in their last 7 games.

I assumed tie-breakers came into the equation. We could win out and LOSE the division to Chicago, yes. I meant your own take on the record it would take to do a reasonable guarantee for the playoffs. I stick by 11 wins. I guess we'll see when the 2nd half of the NFL rolls out here shortly. 10 maybe, I'm saying 11 if we do it. Peace HB. 9 wins...no way.

Patler
11-04-2008, 11:26 PM
We could win out and LOSE the division to Chicago, yes. .

Huh? How? Wouldn't that make the Packers 12-4 and Chicago 11-5 at best? If the Packers win out, Chicago would lose at least twice.

SnakeLH2006
11-04-2008, 11:35 PM
We could win out and LOSE the division to Chicago, yes. .

Huh? How? Wouldn't that make the Packers 12-4 and Chicago 11-5 at best? If the Packers win out, Chicago would lose at least twice.

How do you do the Patlerizing?? Awesome. Yes, I didn't want to imply we'd win out, we won't, but was just saying it will take 11 wins to get us in for sure. Good call, but what does the great Patler think? I was just replying to winning out, not the actual numbers but my bad. My meaning was to beat tie-breakers without getting into specifics, we need to win 11 games to get us in or 10 with help.

Fritz
11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Patler does this really weird thing called research, and practices this bizarre ritual known as logic.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 07:53 AM
He didn't say anything I didn't say... and yet he gets praised. *Sigh*
:D

Zool
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM

No respect for Harv...boy i tells ya.

Patler
11-05-2008, 08:11 AM

Very true, I should have stated, "As Harvey mentioned...."

Patler
11-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Back to the question, I agree with Harvey*. What record it will take really does depend on how it is achieved, tie breakers not even entering into it.

As Harvey has already mentioned*, to really be in the drivers seat that Packers need to win all three remaining games against the Vikings and Bears. If they lose two they are in trouble, I think, especially if they lose both to the Bears. If they win two, it will be a battle to the finish. So going 6-2 to finish 10-6 might be good enough if they beat the Vikings once and the Bears twice. But if they go 6-2 losing two to the Bears, I doubt that 10-6 will win the division, tie breakers not even entering into it.

* See "Harvey Wallbangers" post, Packerrats.com, thread At 4-4...What record WILL get GB in the playoffs in 2008?, posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:07 pm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guiness
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Patler does this really weird thing called research, and practices this bizarre ritual known as logic.

Well, that and he figured out that the Bears have 5 wins, and will have a max of 6 more wins if the Pack wins out. Then he did the unthinkable, and determined that 5+6=11!!!!! :lol:

Fritz
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
How true that is.

And harv, too. He does that stuff.

DonHutson
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Nine wins will probably do it. We don't have to worry about the ten teams in front of us. Just Chicago. And if we take care of business we should put them in the rearview mirror in two weeks.

I'm not saying the Pack will only win nine games, I'm saying that's all it will take. Now that they're as healthy as they've been all year I'm expecting a nice little run through the second half.

sharpe1027
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
12 wins guarantees playoffs, since they will win the division outright.

11 wins gets us in, UNLESS, the one loss is to the Bears and the Bears winning the rest of the games...then it goes to the tie-breakers, which goes all the way down to best won-loss in common games. Since we lost to Tennessee, and the Bears will have won against Tennessee, my guess is that the Bears would have the advantage. Next you would have to check whether or not it would be possible for enough wild card teams to have 11 wins or more AND have the tie-breaker over us.

Basically, almost guaranteed.

10 wins, there are many scenarios where they would not get in, but none of them are very likely.

Very likely.

9 wins, any one's guess.

Probably a 60/40 proposition.

8 wins, perfect storm of events to make it.