PDA

View Full Version : DOH! A Deer, A HUGE Effing Deer!

Jimx29
11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
This is a possible record buck (in process of verifying numbers) shot about 50 miles south of me this past weekend.

I swear to gawd that I would piss myself if i ever saw this thing. How can ya hunt if you're all pissy smelling?? :lol:

Here's the video that's been passing around like crazy over the past couple months or so.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1278844113/bctid1770023263

http://i36.tinypic.com/25qw5z5.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/2e2jdhi.jpg

And then here's the story of a guy nailing it with a bow no less. Absolutely incredible.

Measuring up? Experts weigh in on trophy buck

By Julian Emerson and Joe Knight
Leader-Telegram staff

Debate about whether the much sought-after Field and Stream buck named for the outdoor magazine is a world-record deer started in earnest 2 1/2 months ago, and speculation about the topic has exploded since Bob Decker bagged the animal Saturday morning.

A Leader-Telegram story Monday detailed how Decker, of Eau Claire, shot the buck while bow hunting in Buffalo County between Modena and Urne. The deer attracted a feverish following among hunters near and far, who dreamed of shooting the animal hunting experts say could be a world-record typical buck.

Hunters and hunting experts who watched a video posted on the Field and Stream Web site in August showing the massive deer meandering through a Buffalo County woods marveled at its antler size. Several experts estimated its antler total could range between 220 and 240 inches, well above the world record typical buck, which measured nearly 214 inches.

Given the buck's startling potential antler measurement, hunters who have seen the buck since Decker shot it also have pondered whether the animal - a 16-pointer weighing 200 pounds when field dressed - is the new world champion.

"It's a phenomenal animal," said Jack Dodge, the 58-year-old owner of Dodge's Taxidermy in Elk Lake. "You only see a deer like that once in a lifetime."

Bloggers on the Field and Stream Web site have posted comments since Decker dashed the hopes of other hunters by taking the buck. Many said they believe the deer's antlers are typical, potentially making it the world record, while others contend the antlers are nontypical, possibly negating the buck's world-trophy status.

Antler classification depends on shape and formation. To be judged as typical, antler tines must come off of each antler's main beam. The tines also must originate on the top half of the beam.

In contrast, nontypical antlers can come in all shapes and sizes, and one side doesn't necessarily resemble the other. Nontypical antlers are much more common than typical ones.

Judges of antlers follow basic rules when deciding between typical and nontypical, but those decisions can be somewhat subjective, Dodge said.

"This could be measured as a typical. I just don't know for sure," said Dodge, who estimates Decker's buck was 3 1/2 years old.

Dodge declined to reveal a score for Decker's buck other than to say it would total somewhere above 200 inches.

Lu and Ken Zimmerman of Spooner, both certified antler scorers, examined photos of Decker's deer Dodge e-mailed them Sunday night.

Viewed from the front, the rack looks typical, but a photo taken from above shows two tines that appear nontypical, Lu Zimmerman said in a phone interview Monday.

Under the rather complicated measuring system scorers use to measure antlers, those tines could work against scoring it as a "typical" rack, she said.

"It's Boone, but it's not the new world record," she said. "If you look at the Milo Hanson buck (the current world record taken in 1993 that scored 213 5/8 inches), you'll see the difference."

Zimmerman said the rack will have to go through a 60-day "drying" period before being officially scored. Antlers this size, which will probably qualify for all of the record books, will be measured by a team of experts.

Dodge said the tines in question may make it a nontypical, but the jury is still out until it is officially scored.

"This is going to have to be looked at by a panel of judges. This won't be decided by one person," he said.

"It's either going to be something that's never been shot before or it's going to be a super-big nontypical," Dodge said. "I don't think Bob will be disappointed either way."

"It's a great animal, and if it's not the biggest, it's certainly the most popular whitetail around, with all the press that Field and Stream gave it," Dodge said.

Zimmerman said the deer likely will qualify for the Wisconsin record book; the Chatfield, Minn.-based Pope and Young Club's record book, which records archery trophies; and the Boone and Crockett Club's record book, which has the highest criteria. Most Boone and Crockett deer are taken with a gun, but archery deer also qualify.

The world record Pope and Young typical white-tailed deer scored 204 1/2 inches. That deer was shot by Mel Johnson in Peoria County, Ill., in 1964.

In 2004 Michael Beatty of Ohio shot the world record archery nontypical deer, which scored 294.

Until the scoring is complete, Dodge gave Decker some advice about the prize antlers: "Keep them in a safe," Dodge said, "and enjoy the attention this is going to bring."
'Pretty overwhelming'

Dodge was right about Decker's prize buck attracting attention. Both his home phone and cell phone have been ringing nearly constantly since Saturday night, often simultaneously.

Decker was besieged by calls during the weekend from friends and family as word of his hunting exploit spread. On Monday the media joined in, creating a nonstop stream of questions about the buck.

On Sunday afternoon, as Decker discussed the buck with a group of hunters, his cell phone spit out musical tones every couple of minutes. Decker's phones continued to ring into the early hours of Monday morning, and after Decker slept for only a few hours the calls about the buck started again.

"It's been pretty overwhelming," Decker said.

Ed Culhane's Monday was similarly busy. The state Department of Natural Resources public information officer said he was inundated with phone calls from media outlets interested in interviewing Decker.

"There certainly is a lot of interest in this deer and this story," Culhane said.

**Starts holding breath until peta chimes in on this story**

MateoInMex
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
That's a very large animal. I'm not a hunter, but why did this guy just save the antlers?

If that is a possible world record, wouldn't he want to mount the whole head on the wall? Could someone tell me the purpose of just saving the antlers? My thinking is, if you just save the antlers, then you can put them on top of any animal hanging on the wall in a bar. Case and point....antlers on a rabbit and calling it a jackelope.

I would think you'd want to save most of the animal to mount.

mraynrand
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
How can ya hunt if you're all pissy smelling?? :lol:

It Depends (pun intended) on the piss. Why I bow hunt, I coat myself in deer piss to hide my scent. Now that I am a Golden, that will be impossible.

Jimx29
11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
That's a very large animal. I'm not a hunter, but why did this guy just save the antlers?

That's what I was wondering too. I would expect that it should be at least a a shoulder mount. Even if it doesn't break the record, i'd be willing to bet that field and stream would either pay for the fees, or even part of it.

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2008, 11:24 PM

That's what I was wondering too. I would expect that it should be at least a a shoulder mount. Even if it doesn't break the record, i'd be willing to bet that field and stream would either pay for the fees, or even part of it.

Because they most likely won't score it while attached to the skull. I am sure he saved the cape, and then the antlers and the cape will get mounted an a mold. You can pick them out taxidermy books. They are usually made out of foam.

He will get his mount, and then most likely sell it for 100,000 bucks to Cabella's or Gander Mountain.

This buck was a shot off a trophy outfitter. They grow these bucks this way. They control the animals habitat to try and produce big antlered bucks. This is still an unbelievable buck, and it is damn near perfect and a once in a life time animal, but it is not like this fella shot it off his farm or on public land.

Buffalo County has the most trophy quality harvested deer than any where else in the country, mostly because all of the huntable land has been bought up or leased by trophy outfitters who manage it to produce Trohpy bucks and charge 1000s of dollars for a hunt.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Buffalo County has the most trophy quality harvested deer than any where else in the country

You're talking whitetails, right?

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Buffalo County has the most trophy quality harvested deer than any where else in the country

You're talking whitetails, right?

Is there anything but?

We don't have Mule deer in Wisconsin. There is nothing more majestic than the whitetail, still I need to come out to North Dakota and run around the Badlands for some Muleys

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 11:33 PM
http://www.kingsoutdoorworld.com/stories/far_left.jpg

I ain't hatin' on ya. Just giving you shit. I love watching muleys bounce up the side of a large hill in about 5 seconds. I'm heading out Friday. Was supposed to head out tomorrow for a day of checking out the area, but there's a potential blizzard coming through.

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Muleys just look stupid bouncing around out there. I know they are damn hard to hunt because there is no cover. You can't sneak up on a Muley. I have watched a couple of hunting shows where they try to bow hunt Mule deer and damn do the hunters get frustrated. They get in close to perfect position and then they go back to draw, and the deer bolts.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 11:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfF4hXwH3TI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspK7EIMK_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0hs_TFU3I&feature=related

Trying to find one of Muleys bouncing.

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Running a bit. Not the bouncing I'm talking about, but getting there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arfb2MAZrSw

HarveyWallbangers
11-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Pretty nice group of bucks in the Badlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17U-e2qDJGQ

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
A video of some whitetails in North Dakota--for you whitetail guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0jUEwzVUQ

You can get a great feel for the terrain we hunt in this video.
At 3 minutes, the mulies aren't hauling ass. When they are hauling ass, they can get up a hill like that lickety split. Right about 1:58, you can see the doe start to haul ass, but gets behind some trees before she really takes off. He got a pretty nice muley buck at 3:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywTrLRtY6Ro

HarveyWallbangers
11-06-2008, 12:08 AM
And, yes, there are a few people like that.
:D

Also, it's a bit of tradition in North Dakota for a bottle of Schnapp's to be shared by everyone at night--provided you don't get skunked. No Schnapp's if you don't get any deer.