PDA

View Full Version : I Am Optimistic

Fritz
11-05-2008, 07:17 AM
As fans, we kvetch and moan and criticize after a loss, and I'm as good at that as most Packerrats. I'm all good with that. It's part of being a fan.

However, I am feeling unusually optimistic this week, despite the loss to Tennessee. I believe that, barring injury, this team will make a serious run and can win this division and do some damage in the playoffs. I think this is a team on the upswing. Again, this depends on the team remaining relatively injury-free, but here's what I see:

The defensive line, with the addition of Harrell and the return to health of Montgomery, is reverting to last season's "it's a group thang" mentality. Guys are going to rotate in and out and do their bit, focusing on what they do best. Situational substitution will make this a more effective line in the last half of the season.

The running game is coming around. The offensive line seems to be gaining some stability - yea, the red zone thing against the Titans was discouraging, but this offense, as Philbin said, went up and down the field against a damn good defense. This is going to help this team get into the red zone too. It'll come.

The Jerkmicheal Finley experiment is over. It was brief, but I think MM got the message. Sure, a million things determine a game's outcome, and one of them might have been MM's decision to activate Jerkmichael instead of James Jones. I think James Jones is a damn good receiver, and with double coverages on Jennings, I look for Jones to make some big plays in the second half. It's not like he's never done it before.

The turnover thang. Yes, Lori Nickel bitched about the dropped intercepts, but that's been the exception more than the rule this year. If Rodgers can continue to make mostly good decisions, the number of turnovers the Pack gives up can stay low, and the team can win the turnover battles most games.

Again, this is all dependent upon the team's health. But if they can stay pretty healthy, I think this is the best team in the NFC North.

Patler
11-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I, too, am not overly disappointed in the loss, other than the loss of position in the standings. Now they have ground to make up. But, while I think their talent over all is as good as the Bears or the Vikings, this may simply be a year in which they do not play to their potential and someone else does.

The Bears have been playing somewhat like the Packers of last year, things have just happened as necessary to get the wins, so catching and passing them will not be easy. Of course, it remains to be seen what the change to Rex Grossman will mean over the next month or more. Grossman is capable of huge extremes in performance. If Orton comes back, will he be the same player?

The Vikings are a very difficult team to get a feeling for. I guess recent past history would tell us that they are not a team to worry about, but they have key pieces that over an 8 game span could win a lot of games. Peterson could go crazy and dominate a bunch of games. The defense is more than capable of putting together a fine run. Frerotte has been around a long time and can be a key factor on offense. All he has to do is just enough in the passing game to prevent defenses from committing 100% to stopping the run. He doesn't have to be anything more than just OK.

MOBB DEEP
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
im sticking to my 11-5 preseason prediction...this team is pretty good imho

oregonpackfan
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I share the overall optimism as well. This is a young team with good, but not outstanding, talent. This is a team with a promising young quarterback who is doing admirably well in replacing a legendary quarterback. Rodgers passed for over 350 yards against one of the best defenses in the NFL.

I like the overall scrappiness of the defensive unit. Except for Woodson, their talent level is average but they hustle and and work together as a unit.

It remains my belief this team can go 10-6 and win one playoff game.

Fritz
11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I agree with Oregon. The trick in the future though, I think, is to find that one superstar (or two!) to carry the team from time to time.

The Shadow
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I am also very optimistic.
I think the change to Aaron Rodgers was the key element to making the Packers into a team built for longterm success instead of the inconsistency of the past.
The additions of players like Hawk, Jennings, Nelson, and Williams help build the kind of foundation championship-caliber teams need.

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree with Oregon. The trick in the future though, I think, is to find that one superstar (or two!) to carry the team from time to time.

I'm with ya win or tie, Fritz.

You lose, you're on your own!

falco
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
falco does not "kvetch"

Fritz
11-09-2008, 11:38 AM
If the Packers lose to the Queens today you will, Falco!

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Wretch, maybe, but kvetch? Never!

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 03:50 PM
13-3 to outta the playoffs.. yummy!

BallHawk
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
13-3 to outta the playoffs.. yummy!

You're trolling attempts grow more pathetic by the day.

Freak Out
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
We should have beat both the Queens and the Titans.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2008, 08:49 PM

ya, but the Queens badly outplayed the packers.

Freak Out
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM

ya, but the Queens badly outplayed the packers.

We won the "lose in the trenches" part of it...glass half........?

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
ya, I guess you give a nod to the packer pass defense and secondary.

all and all, I thought the Vikings played with greater intensity.

Partial
11-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Agreed, but we didn't perform. Our offense is horrendous for the talent we have at that skill positions and on the line.

The Leaper
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Our offense is horrendous for the talent we have at that skill positions and on the line.

What talent on the OL?

Partial
11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Our offense is horrendous for the talent we have at that skill positions and on the line.

What talent on the OL?

Clifton - very solid left tackle

Tausch - very solid right tackle

Spitz - solid guard

Colledge - solid guard

The problem isn't the OL. They've been run blocking better lately. Pass blocking is a result of two things imo:

1) quarterback holding ball too long

2) quarterback scrambling too much, meaning OL need to block laterally as well

Gunakor
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM

What talent on the OL?

Spitz - solid guard

Colledge - solid guard

The problem isn't the OL. They've been run blocking better lately. Pass blocking is a result of two things imo:

How long, in your opinion, should a QB have back in the pocket to scan the field and deliver the ball before you'd say he's holding it too long? That is to say, at what point does the responsibility shift from the OL not holding blocks long enough to the QB holding the ball too long? IMO if your QB has less than 3 seconds to sit comfortably in the pocket and find the open guy to deliver the pass to, the OL is not doing it's job. If your QB is consistently getting 4+ seconds in the pocket and is still getting sacked, that's on the QB.

Specifically concerning the Vikings game, how many times did Rodgers have 3 or more seconds in the pocket (not by having to create time by rolling out, but actually sitting in the pocket comfortably)? Maybe a few. Most of the time the pocket was collapsing within 2 seconds after the snap, and that's just not enough time for anything but a quick slant or a very short crossing pattern. It's not nearly enough time to let a downfield pattern develop.

rbaloha1
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Packers can still make the playoffs.

The changes imo are with the oline. Clifton's time may be up. Josh Sitton needs to be inserted at RG and Colledge at LT. Unsure if Spitz replaces Wells.

Wish Hodge was around to replace Barnett. Bishop still makes me nervous.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 02:02 PM

What talent on the OL?

Spitz - solid guard

Colledge - solid guard

How long, in your opinion, should a QB have back in the pocket to scan the field and deliver the ball before you'd say he's holding it too long? That is to say, at what point does the responsibility shift from the OL not holding blocks long enough to the QB holding the ball too long? IMO if your QB has less than 3 seconds to sit comfortably in the pocket and find the open guy to deliver the pass to, the OL is not doing it's job. If your QB is consistently getting 4+ seconds in the pocket and is still getting sacked, that's on the QB.

Specifically concerning the Vikings game, how many times did Rodgers have 3 or more seconds in the pocket (not by having to create time by rolling out, but actually sitting in the pocket comfortably)? Maybe a few. Most of the time the pocket was collapsing within 2 seconds after the snap, and that's just not enough time for anything but a quick slant or a very short crossing pattern. It's not nearly enough time to let a downfield pattern develop.Its also hard to step up into a pocket that isn't there from the start.

chain_gang
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Packers can still make the playoffs.

The changes imo are with the oline. Clifton's time may be up. Josh Sitton needs to be inserted at RG and Colledge at LT. Unsure if Spitz replaces Wells.

Wish Hodge was around to replace Barnett. Bishop still makes me nervous.

I agree, that Clifton may need to sit. Actually against Tennessee I felt more comfortable with Colledge at Tackle when Cliffy had to leave the game. Clifton has just struggled in the past two games, he's been struggling since week 3, and his false starts are drive killers. Especially the one where the Packers had to settle for a FG to make it 27-21. The Pack had the Vikes in Defense to completely exploit over the top to Jennings for an easy TD, but ol' twitchin' Clifton had to do his normal false start. I like Cliffy, and appreciate all his great years of protecting our QB. But I think it may be time to move into a different direction, and give Colledge a shot at Tackle, and Sitton a shot at guard.

MOBB DEEP
11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
packs last two loses were in OT to tenn and 1 point to queens

then a blowout of div leadn bears

NOT BAD...

forcast is above decent imo

my 11-5 prediction may be fufilled yet

RUN DAT BALL!

Freak Out
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM

NOT BAD...

RUN DAT BALL!

If the line can play that way the rest of the season were golden.

Partial
11-17-2008, 10:54 AM

NOT BAD...

RUN DAT BALL!

If the line can play that way the rest of the season were golden.

Yep. That will let the skill players, where I believe we have some of the finest talent in the league, play their game. I don't think many teams can touch us if we win in the trenches.

rbaloha1
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Its looking good we win the division.

If the o-line continues performing as against the Bears the Packers are capable of winning the NFC.

MateoInMex
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Its looking good we win the division.

If the o-line continues performing as against the Bears the Packers are capable of winning the NFC.

Very impressive win, and I agree that the Packers can make a run for the playoffs if their o-line continues to play at a high level. I just hope there will be some consistency.

In all fairness, the o-line was next to perfect, but since Bob Babitch took over as Defensive Coordinator for the Bears, the telling story is his defense has went from #5 in the league to #28. The Vikings have a better defense and the Packers made mistake after mistake after penalty after flag after false start against the Vikings.

The loss in the Metrodome was a very big one. Honestly, I think 9-7 probably wins the division, but GB will probably have to run out the last 6 and go 5-1 for some breathing room.

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Tramon getting some love from the national media.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Asrdw5O3n4y5z29Q6gQOVFCA2bYF?slug=packer ssticktorunoverpow&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Packers stick to run, overpower Bears
By Dennis Dillon - SportingNews

GREEN BAY, Wis.—Observations from watching the Green Bay Packers manhandle the Chicago Bears, 37-3, in the 175th regular-season renewal of the NFL’s oldest rivalry (surprisingly, the teams have met only once in the playoffs).

This was a “gold package” home game for the Packers, which meant it was one largely attended by Milwaukee season-ticket holders. No wonder the traffic heading north on I-43 Sunday morning was so heavy.

1. Three’s a crowd

Since the NFL switched to four-team divisions in 2002, the Packers and Bears have ruled in the NFC North. Green Bay has won the division four times, and Chicago has finished first twice. Now, there’s a logjam at the top.

With their surprisingly easy victory Sunday, the Packers raised their record to 5-5 and moved into a tie for first place with Chicago and Minnesota, which fumbled a chance to have the top spot all to itself by losing in Tampa.

This isn’t the league’s sexiest division, and only the winner likely will make the playoffs, but the remaining six weeks could provide plenty of intrigue for the contenders (sorry, Detroit, but you’re not in this discussion).

The Packers, who have only one opponent left on their schedule with a winning record (Carolina), face two division rivals, Chicago and Detroit, in the final two weeks. The Bears have no opponents left with winning records, and they have Minnesota and Green Bay among division opponents. The Vikings, who still must play Chicago and Detroit, have three foes with winning records—Arizona, Atlanta and the Giants—in the final three games.

I’m not a betting man, but if I were, my money would be on the Packers repeating as NFC North winners. And who would have predicted that back in early August, when Green Bay traded Brett Favre to the Jets and ushered in the Aaron Rodgers era at quarterback?

2. Counter intuitive

The Bears came into the game with the 30th-ranked pass defense—the linemen had recorded only three sacks in the last four games—and the fourth-rated run defense. So the Packers came out of their locker room throwing, right? Well, no.

Green Bay dared to go directly at the strength of the Chicago defense, which held the Titans to 8 yards rushing a week ago, and had scintillating success. The Bears were allowing an average of 74.9 yards rushing per game, but the Packers surpassed that mark by halftime, as they rushed for 138 yards on 19 carries in the first half.

Running back Ryan Grant finished the game with 145 yards on 25 attempts. It was his season high in rushing, and only his second 100-yard rushing performance of the season. Maybe like last season, Grant will come on strong in the second half and propel the Packers into the postseason.

The Green Bay line, particularly the inside threesome of center Scott Wells and guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, manhandled the Chicago front seven. It pushed the Bears all over Lambeau Field.

And it wasn’t just the linemen who blocked well. The tight ends and receivers stepped up, too. One highlight moment came when tight end Tory Humphrey lined up in the backfield, picked up outside linebacker Lance Briggs and turned him around on an 8-yard run by Grant.

3. Plenty left in the tank

Reports of the demise of Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher might be exaggerated. Although the ‘05 Defensive Player of the Year has been hindered by a back problem much of the season and his tackle totals have shrunk, he still can be a big playmaker.

In the second quarter, Urlacher lined up close to the line, as if he were going to blitz, and then dropped into coverage. Backpedaling and turning around, he reached up and intercepted a pass intended for Donald Driver at the Chicago 10. It was his first interception of the season.

Later in the first half, Urlacher burst through on a blitz and forced Rodgers to scramble to his right and thrown an incomplete pass.

4. Velcro men

Most teams are fortunate to have one cornerback who can play tight man-to-man coverage. The Packers have three defensive backs who can stick to receivers and practically suffocate them.

You know about starting corners Al Harris and Charles Woodson, but second-year defensive back Tramon Williams, who plays in the team’s nickel package, has the same style. Just ask Bears wideout Devin Hester, who couldn’t get inside position on Williams on a quick slant and saw it get broken up.

Williams was the only Packers defender who broke up two passes in Sunday’s game.

Freak Out
11-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Williams looked pretty good again...I remember him running step for step with Hester a few times.

boiga
11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Tramon looked fine, but he was helped by Hester's lack of ability to come down with the ball. A better receiver would have made a couple of catches on him because while he is a start quality CB, he doesn't have the shutdown corner pedigree of Woodson or Al yet. You could tell that the Bears offensive coordinator was actively targeting him as a potential weak spot while avoiding throwing in Woodson's direction.

They learned quickly that the Packers don't have a weak spot in the secondary, at least not against any matchup Chicago can proffer. My favorite moment of the game was when Hester got knocked on his ass by Al within five yards and Orton threw to where Hester was supposed to be. That was hilarious.

Freak Out
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I had to laugh after Cole got flagged for a personal foul......of course if the score is closer I'm cursing.