PDA

View Full Version : Question about a play in Titans game

Patler
11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Many have mentioned MM's decision not to go for it on the last drive, choosing to punt instead. No one (that I have seen) has questioned his decision at the end of the first half. On 4th down at the Tennessee 38, the Packers went for it with 26 seconds remaining.

I'm not suggesting they should have punted, but why not a field goal try? Sure it would have been a 55 yard attempt, but why not with only 26 seconds on the clock?

oregonpackfan
11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
The negative with those long field goal attempts is that the kicker needs to kick the ball at a lower trajectory in order to make it to the goal posts.

The lower trajectory makes it easier for the field goal attempt to be blocked, picked up by the defending team, and taken into the end zone for a touchdown.

Patler
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
The negative with those long field goal attempts is that the kicker needs to kick the ball at a lower trajectory in order to make it to the goal posts.

The lower trajectory makes it easier for the field goal attempt to be blocked, picked up by the defending team, and taken into the end zone for a touchdown.

Sure, but that is true for any long field goal, and teams, including the Packers, try 50+ yarders quite frequently. What better time to try than with less than 30 seconds remaining?

MTPackerfan
11-05-2008, 10:24 AM
The other negative, is if it is missed, Titans would have had the ball on their own 45 with about 20 seconds and the chance to move within field goal range. Although missing on the 4th down, they still got it on their 38.

cpk1994
11-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Sure, but that is true for any long field goal, and teams, including the Packers, try 50+ yarders quite frequently. What better time to try than with less than 30 seconds remaining?Do remember that McCarthy, probably upon conferring with Crosby, detirrmined the maximum FG doable with the wind conditions was 47 yards. It was one of those too long for a FG too short for a punt, so go for it.

mraynrand
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM

Sure, but that is true for any long field goal, and teams, including the Packers, try 50+ yarders quite frequently. What better time to try than with less than 30 seconds remaining?

Yes, they should have kicked it, especially since they deliberately ran the clock down so that, at best, they would have had an opportunity for a shorter kick. McCarthy, either deliberately, or unintentionally ran the clock down so much that they excluded themselves from a shot at the endzone. he was just trying for a shorter FG. Perhaps the kicker said he couldn't make it from 55. I think it was into any wind that was out there, too.

Patler
11-05-2008, 11:13 AM
The other negative, is if it is missed, Titans would have had the ball on their own 45 with about 20 seconds and the chance to move within field goal range. Although missing on the 4th down, they still got it on their 38.

Again, no different than when any other long field goal is tried; and arguably less of a concern when so little time was remaining.

gbgary
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
i remember at the time saying it was a 60 yarder. mason is supposed to have the big-time leg. had we not played soft, instead of the tight man-to-man we normally do, it might have worked out better.

Patler
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Do remember that McCarthy, probably upon conferring with Crosby, detirrmined the maximum FG doable with the wind conditions was 47 yards. It was one of those too long for a FG too short for a punt, so go for it.

But regarding the decision to punt instead of trying a field goal at the end of the game he said this:

The mark was the 40-yard line. I think we were at the 42-, 43-yard line.

They were going the same direction in the 2nd quarter, weren't they?. If the mark was the 40 on the last drive in the 4th, why not try the field goal from the 38 with only twenty-six seconds to go in the 2nd? I really wish he had been asked that question.

Tony Oday
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I just question 6 guys in the box on the last two titan drives...

Fritz
11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Superb question, Patler. One possibility I can think of is that perhaps the wind shifted a bit or picked up in the second half, so a longer field goal attempt was looked upon more favorably in the second half.

The other possibility I can come up with is that MM wanted to strike the dagger blow, and a first down would give him a couple of shots at the end zone before settling for what would have been a shorter field goal.

That's all I got.

The Gunshooter
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I remember the announcers saying there was no wind.

MM decisions on the first and last 4th downs were bad. The first one MM was too predictable and TN had the right defense called, the momentum was broken with the timeout by Rodgers and GB had no confidence in picking up a long yard on the ground on 4th down. You have to punt there. Throwing to Finley on any 4th down is dubious at best. What MM should of done is run left in the first place or Rodgers should of just took it himself and run left. GB would of easily made the first down IMO given the overload on the strong side. You can't run the ball 5 times in a row to the right and then again on 4th down. A good coach will take that away just when you need it most and Fischer outcoached MM there.

At the end of regulation I would of went for it. What you say? Simply because you play for the win on the road and play for the tie at home. For all you young 'uns that is one of those old saying like "defense wins championships".

Patler
11-05-2008, 03:19 PM
MM decisions on the first and last 4th downs were bad. The first one MM was too predictable and TN had the right defense called, the momentum was broken with the timeout by Rodgers and GB had no confidence in picking up a long yard on the ground on 4th down. You have to punt there. Throwing to Finley on any 4th down is dubious at best. What MM should of done is run left in the first place or Rodgers should of just took it himself and run left. GB would of easily made the first down IMO given the overload on the strong side. You can't run the ball 5 times in a row to the right and then again on 4th down. A good coach will take that away just when you need it most and Fischer outcoached MM there.

I thought MM said they had the right play called for the defense that the Titans came out in? Execution was bad. The Packers have not shown much of an ability to pick up a long yard or two on the ground in situations like that recently.

MM decisions on the first and last 4th downs were bad. ...

At the end of regulation I would of went for it. What you say? Simply because you play for the win on the road and play for the tie at home. For all you young 'uns that is one of those old saying like "defense wins championships".

With the ball at the 43, 4th down and 8 yards to go, 2 minutes remaining, I think you have to punt. 8 yards is a long way to go on fourth down. The Packer's defense had throttled the Titans in the second half, giving up just 57 yards, The last two Titan possessions had been 3 and out. If the defense holds after the punt the Packers could have had the ball near midfield with time enough remaining for a field goal drive.

KYPack
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM

That's an old baseball maxim.

Maybe we should have bunted in the bottom of the 10th, eh?

The Gunshooter
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM

How about showing a little respect? Oh that's right, you are from KY, whatever the fuck that is.

The Gunshooter
11-05-2008, 06:48 PM

I thought MM said they had the right play called for the defense that the Titans came out in? Execution was bad. The Packers have not shown much of an ability to pick up a long yard or two on the ground in situations like that recently.

MM decisions on the first and last 4th downs were bad. ...

With the ball at the 43, 4th down and 8 yards to go, 2 minutes remaining, I think you have to punt. 8 yards is a long way to go on fourth down. The Packer's defense had throttled the Titans in the second half, giving up just 57 yards, The last two Titan possessions had been 3 and out. If the defense holds after the punt the Packers could have had the ball near midfield with time enough remaining for a field goal drive.

Things are different in the 2 minute drill. They did stop them but by then they were exhausted. Once they lost the coin flip it was all over. The good teams have a way of turning it up a notch when you take the lead or tie them and TN scored in like 3 plays when GB went up 10-6. You could make the argument that it doesn't matter what MM decided because the players couldn't execute it anyway.

If you have a great defense and can run the ball well you play conservative. If you can't do that you better be very aggressive. TN is excellent at being conservative because that is what they are designed for. GB sucks at being conservative.

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:32 PM

How about showing a little respect? Oh that's right, you are from KY, whatever the fuck that is.

Easy there, Shooter,

Was just pullin' yer chain.

Everybody knows ya don't bunt with two out.

BZnDallas
11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
haven't seen this brought up anywhere and was wondering about a different play so i thought i'd see what ya'll think... it looked to me that on one of the passes to the rookie finley, i believe it was the one in the endzone, i thought it looked like jordy nelson was lined up on the opposite side (with no DD or GJ lined up)... if this is correct, why did MM have two rookies split out wide inside the 20 on such a critical down and distance play?... that doesn't make a lot of sense to me and wondered if anybody else noticed...