PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers resurfacing

Patler
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Former Packers, and players with Packer ties involved in player transactions the last couple weeks:

P.J. Pope - signed by Denver to their active roster from their practice squad.
Samkon Gado - signed by St Louis. What ever happened to Med School?
Thomas Gafford- signed by Kansas City.
Joey Thomas - signed by Miami
Ryan Powdrell - signed to T.B. practice squad
Tyrone Culver - signed by Miami (after cutting him a few weeks earlier)
Robert Thomas - signed by Oakland
Dave Rayner - cut by Cincinnati

Kelly Poppinga - signed to St. Louis' practice squad. (not a Packer, but Brady's brother)

When none of your recent releases are found on other rosters, you know you suck!

falco
11-05-2008, 04:25 PM
how is Joey Haynos doing? i wish we would have kept him instead of Jerfin

red
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i thought joey thomas has been out a football for a couple years

has he been playing?

Gunakor
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Craig Nall was just signed by the Houston Texans today.

RashanGary
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
The Packers are just getting deep at a few positions. I think next year we're going to see more players elsewhere and maybe even starters that were end of the bench backups here. I don't think we cut too many good playres this time around. I think we had just enough good ones to make up a deep roster. Next year, I think we'll be cutting legit players.

Tarlam!
11-05-2008, 05:20 PM
how is Joey Haynos doing? i wish we would have kept him instead of Jerfin

What Mozart said...

Patler
11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Nall! Unbelievable career. His seventh season. He has played in a total of 7 games.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
And, yet....Money Morency remains unsigned despite Partial conferring "it" status on him. :lol:

KYPack
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Former Packers, and players with Packer ties involved in player transactions the last couple weeks:

Kelly Poppinga - signed to St. Louis' practice squad. (not a Packer, but Brady's brother)

Busy couple weeks for Thomas.

This happened today....

Linebacker Robert Thomas was waived/injured.

Guy can't hold down a gig, eh?

Patler
11-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Busy couple weeks for Thomas.

This happened today....

Linebacker Robert Thomas was waived/injured.

Guy can't hold down a gig, eh?

Two week job, signed on 10/21.
Of course 2/17ths of the veterans minimum for him is $85,000+.

Partial
11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
And, yet....Money Morency remains unsigned despite Partial conferring "it" status on him. :lol:

Well Ty... I don't know what to say.. He never recovered from the injury in camp two years ago. I'm not sweatin' it.

Fritz
11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm just looking for a Donell Washington sighting.

Iron Mike
11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Herbert "Whisper" Goodman is apparently now a MMA fighter:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Herbert-Goodman-17512

cpk1994
11-06-2008, 07:36 AM

When none of your recent releases are found on other rosters, you know you suck!What, nobody signed BJ Sander? I mean, Mike Sherman thought he was a real stud, Im suprised other GM's don't think the same. :lol:

BTW, Merlin's boy Rayner cut again? Boy he really can pick em. :lol:

cpk1994
11-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Nall! Unbelievable career. His seventh season. He has played in a total of 7 games.That can't be right. Merlin said he was a stud. Merlin is always right. :P

KYPack
11-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Patler, you have spotted a flat-out trend.

With the Raiders cutting DeAngelo Hall, they needed a guy to play to play corner. So they tabbed Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson is a former Packer who was a Sherm favorite, thought to be a "secret weapon", a corner who allegedly ran a 4.0 40 yard dash at U of Louisville.

Johnson never recorded that kind of 40 time anywhere else on earth and was clueless at corner. Sherm traded him to St Louis for LB Robert Thomas in a trade of flopped players.

The same Robert Thomas the Raiders just signed and cut two weeks later.

Things are wierd.

mraynrand
11-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Culver had a pick this weekend. He also offered a mango custard cone and a large cheeseburger for only 1.99.

LL2
11-06-2008, 09:08 AM

When none of your recent releases are found on other rosters, you know you suck!

Med school doesn't pay...that can wait. From what I remember Gado wants to use his med school training in missionary work helping people in impoverished countries. He's got to make his money now.

Fritz
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Where's Cory Rodgers? Somebody must need a gun-totin', ball-droppin', midget-sized punt returner!

mraynrand
11-06-2008, 02:00 PM

I have a large asphalt parking lot at one of my stores that needs resurfacing. I would be happy to give the job to these guys. I cannot afford, however, to pay the NFL minimum.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Well Ty... I don't know what to say.. He never recovered from the injury in camp two years ago. I'm not sweatin' it.

Right. Never recovered...yet played all last year..and was in camp.

Not only are you a bad talent evaluator..you lack the ability to admit when you are wrong.

red
11-06-2008, 05:50 PM

With the Raiders cutting DeAngelo Hall, they needed a guy to play to play corner. So they tabbed Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson is a former Packer who was a Sherm favorite, thought to be a "secret weapon", a corner who allegedly ran a 4.0 40 yard dash at U of Louisville.

Johnson never recorded that kind of 40 time anywhere else on earth and was clueless at corner. Sherm traded him to St Louis for LB Robert Thomas in a trade of flopped players.

Things are wierd.

i think it was a 4.17 or 4.18

still a blazing time, i don't think anyone got within .10 of it at the last combine

too bad he sucked

what happened to the guy that we drafted that played in the arena league before we drafted him. he had only played football for a few years before we got him. i think he was a cb, maybe from oklahoma

patler?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Ty, now working on junior Patler status will answer. Just for you edification..junior status is conferred after a lengthy apprenticeship and a grueling 6 hour exam.

The player you are thinking of is Mike Hawkins. I believe he was last seen in the Vikes camp....that is where all Green Bay players go to die.

Patler
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Where's Cory Rodgers? Somebody must need a gun-totin', ball-droppin', midget-sized punt returner!

Cory Rodgers? Playing in Canada with the British Columbia Lions.

red
11-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Things are wierd.

still a blazing time, i don't think anyone got within .10 of it at the last combine

too bad he sucked

what happened to the guy that we drafted that played in the arena league before we drafted him. he had only played football for a few years before we got him. i think he was a cb, maybe from oklahoma

patler?

Hawkins, that's him

did he ever get another shot with anyone?

Rastak
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM

Things are wierd.

too bad he sucked

patler?

Hawkins, that's him

did he ever get another shot with anyone?

Yea, he played as a dime back for the Vikings for a year but was cut after that year.

Guiness
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I miss James Lee :(

Y'know, the guy they had to call at home to tell him he'd been drafted? I think when they told him, he thought it was friends playing a gag :o

Guiness
11-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Things are wierd.

Chris Johnson's still in the league? Wow, I'd never have guessed. Looks like he actually spent last season on Oak's squad.

All I remember about him is that he hung around for two years because he was injured, and the Pack could never tell if he could play or not!

Blackmon looked to be going the same way for a bit, but seems to have turned it around...

edit: with the talk of Hawkins, I was trying to remember the other DB we drafted the same year as him - it was Marviel Underwood. Turns out Oakland just signed him. Is that who you mean KY?

Patler
11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I didn't think Chris Johnson was so bad. Hawkins was awful, but I thought Johnson had some ability, not great, maybe not a starter, but able to hold down a spot on some teams.

When he was in St. Louis, I think he was their nickel corner back. He also returned kicks and was at least OK at that as I recall.

KYPack
11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
with the talk of Hawkins, I was trying to remember the other DB we drafted the same year as him - it was Marviel Underwood. Turns out Oakland just signed him. Is that who you mean KY?

What do ya mean here G,

Another DB?

Don't get yer drift on this one?

Guiness
11-06-2008, 09:34 PM
You said Oakland tabbed Chris J. when they released Hall - taking a guess at what you meant by tabbed, I figured you meant they picked him up. Maybe you meant he just got promoted?

Turns out though they did just pick up a former Packer DB though, Underwood!

Partial
11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Not only are you a bad talent evaluator..you lack the ability to admit when you are wrong.

Played last year... despite being injured all year.. It was common knowledge that he was never at 100%.

Bad talent evaluator? Well, thats your opinion, but I disagree.

SnakeLH2006
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Now that we are on this topic...

All I wanna know is this:

Is T.J. Rubley still alive? :shock: :x :lol:

KYPack
11-07-2008, 07:51 AM
You said Oakland tabbed Chris J. when they released Hall - taking a guess at what you meant by tabbed, I figured you meant they picked him up. Maybe you meant he just got promoted?

Turns out though they did just pick up a former Packer DB though, Underwood!

Yeah, I meant "promoted". I did actually think Johnson might pan out eventually. He was just very green, but had some skills. Underwood wasn't a bad hand, either. Marviel is a little small for that position. He can help out.

We didn't need him once we improved the skill level at the position group

packrat
11-07-2008, 10:19 AM
We'll know the Pack is good when its castoffs actually are good (assuming the guys we kept are in fact better--though TT's track record is pretty good despite the hyperventilating of his crtics)

Tyrone Bigguns
11-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Played last year... despite being injured all year.. It was common knowledge that he was never at 100%.

No player in the NFL after week one is 100%. Guess he was injured this year in camp. :oops:

Talent: Your record speaks for itself. Yeah, McFadden really sucks. :lol:

KYPack
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Minor bump here.

The Steelers just released Najeh Davenport for the second time.

You have to be careful in using the term "resurface" with Najeh.

I doubt he will.

Resurface, that is.

CaliforniaCheez
11-08-2008, 11:43 AM

It won't happen.

cpk1994
11-08-2008, 06:37 PM

It won't happen.UNless you happen to be at the drive thru of the McDonalds in his hometowm.

Partial
11-09-2008, 12:36 AM

No player in the NFL after week one is 100%. Guess he was injured this year in camp. :oops:

Talent: Your record speaks for itself. Yeah, McFadden really sucks. :lol:

First of all.. Never said he'd suck. I said he's NO adrian Peterson, and is too thin to run between the tackles.

Second: stats!

Denver: 9 carries 46 yards 5.1 average 10 long
without long: 8 carries, 36 yards, 4.5 average

Kansas City : 21 carries 164 yards 7.8 average 50 long
without long: 20 carries, 114 yards, 5.7 average

Buffalo: 14 carries 42 yards 3.0 average 12 long
without long: 13 carries, 30 yards, 2.3 average

San Diego: 7 carries 20 yards 2.9 average 8 long
without long: 6 carries, 12 yards, 2.0 average

New Orleans: 8 carries 30 yards 3.8 average 8 long
without long: 7 carries, 22 yards, 3.14 average

New York Jets: 8 carries 39 yards 4.9 average 15 long
without long: 7 carries, 24 yards, 3.4 average

Hurt 2 games... 2 fumbles, 0 combined TDs..

Take out his big game and he has averaged 3.84 ypc... not exactly stellar

While its far too early to tell the story, to this point it is hard to argue he has been anything but a disappointment to this point.

Partial
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
bump since I put a fair amount of effort for Ty to see.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Really, i didn't know you got to take out games. Should we do that when looking at Favre this year?

Disappointment. Right. Why don't we say he is excelling for a disfunctional team that is consistently behind so he doesn't get to run the ball enough.

Partial
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Really, i didn't know you got to take out games. Should we do that when looking at Favre this year?

Disappointment. Right. Why don't we say he is excelling for a disfunctional team that is consistently behind so he doesn't get to run the ball enough.

Excelling? Those stats are not excelling. Adrian Peterson was on a bad vikings team a year ago and excelled. He was a game changer. McFadden seems like more a complimentary player to this point.

With his game changing speed and diverse talents, one would think he would be able to break a long one at least once a game, or take a screen pass to the house, kick return to the house, punt, etc.

Thus far, he hasn't done much, even with his rare anomaly of a game included. I'm not saying he'll forever suck, but to argue that he hasn't been pretty sucky to this point is kind of foolish. His stats are pretty GD bad and certainly not consistent.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Dude, you are hopeless. You call the vikings a bad team last year...if they are bad then the Raiders are a high school team.

When does going 8-8 qualify you as bad?

A 5.1 average is excelling. And, with a terrible team and no passing offense. On their second coach.

Screen pass? LOL Yep, the raiders have been known for their short passing game for years. :roll:

Partial
11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Dude, you are hopeless. You call the vikings a bad team last year...if they are bad then the Raiders are a high school team.

A 5.1 average is excelling. And, with a terrible team and no passing offense. On their second coach.

Screen pass? LOL Yep, the raiders have been known for their short passing game for years. :roll:

Yes... no running back has EVER caught a pass in the flat for the Raiders ever...

5.1 average is misleading.. One huge game against a crummy defense and a team in disarray possibly worse than their own!

0 TDs, 3.8 yard average outside of one anomaly of a game.. The name of the game is consistency Ty, and outside of one rare exception he has been consistently underwhelming.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM

Yes... no running back has EVER caught a pass in the flat for the Raiders ever...

5.1 average is misleading.. One huge game against a crummy defense and a team in disarray possibly worse than their own!

0 TDs, 3.8 yard average outside of one anomaly of a game.. The name of the game is consistency Ty, and outside of one rare exception he has been consistently underwhelming.

Dropped the bad team argument. LOL

Ever: Stupid.

Misleading: Do we do that for all players. Again, should we do that for Favre. Didn't answer last time.

Partial
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Misleading: Do we do that for all players. Again, should we do that for Favre. Didn't answer last time.

Yes, you drop anomalies for all player evaluations imo. Bad team argument dropped? Their is no way even you can dispute that Kansas City is not awful.

While it may not be a big portion of their offense, I'm sure their RBs have caught a fair amount of screens/passes in the flats.

Playmakers make plays and McFadden to this point has not. Theirs really nothing else to argue.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Yes, you drop anomalies for all player evaluations imo. Bad team argument dropped? Their is no way even you can dispute that Kansas City is not awful.

While it may not be a big portion of their offense, I'm sure their RBs have caught a fair amount of screens/passes in the flats.

Playmakers make plays and McFadden to this point has not. Theirs really nothing else to argue.

Are you drunk? Peterson doesn't play for KC, he plays for the vikes, which you called bad last year at 8-8.

Sure: Of course you are. You haven't watched a single game, yet you know their offense. Hmm, leading reciever among backs has 18, followed by DMC at 10. Fargas, the leading rusher is getting less than Bush and DMC. Yep, the leading guy is essentially getting 2 passes a game. So, at best the receivers are getting 4 passes a game. Our 3rd down back has more catches than all 3 and essentially as many as Bush and Fargas combined. My god, why do you make it so easy?

Anomolies: So, then Favre with 10 tds and 11 ints is terrible right. Glad we cleared that up. :lol:

Playmakers: Playmakers need players around them as well..you might have heard of them..they are called blockers.