PDA

View Full Version : The Cole Train!!

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:23 AM
All Aboard the Cole train!! Next stop - Starting DT by the end of training camp!!

Who's coming aboard?

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm calling it right now. Cole is going to be a monster this season. He's quick for his size, plays with good leverage, and is strong as a bull. While I don't see much pass rush out of him, I think he has the lateral quickness and plays with enough leverage to plug up the middle along with Pickett more effectively then last year. Between the two of them, they should effectively let our linebackers roam and make some serious plays, while forcing virtually every run outside.

BlueBrewer
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
It sounds like he will have to compete with Kendrick Allen

Partial
06-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I think he'll beat him out. I am glad they brought in Allen. That extra competition and his experience is only going to make our guys better.

Without seeing a snap of football, I predict that Allen takes the place of Peterson unless he has a phenominal camp. I think we carry an extra DB and receiver instead of a DT that never plays a snap (Washington) this year.

My understanding is that Allen was a pretty good starter in New York. Is this notion correct? I'm going to do some research right now.

BlueBrewer
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I think he was pretty good in NY, my impression is that he was a casualty of signing Lavar Arrington. He showed up a little overweight and they didn't need much of a reason.

Deputy Nutz
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
I like Collin Cole a lot. I also think that he is going to be the starter next to Pickett, but I don't think it matters all that much with how much the defensive tackles rotate. Between Cole, Jenkins, Williams, Pickett, and Allen your are looking at them dividing about 160 snaps a game between themsevles a game.

Two defensive tackle spots, roughly 80 snaps a game, 2 x 80 = 160

Pack0514
06-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Yes definately a rotation, but I am also high on Cole. He is big man and he hasnt been given anything. He has had to work his way up from the PS. He is also one ugly motherfucker also so thats a good thing. He kinda looks like a frog in an odd sort of way.

http://images.packers.com/images/headshots/cole_colin.jpg

K-town
06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I like Collin Cole a lot. I also think that he is going to be the starter next to Pickett, but I don't think it matters all that much with how much the defensive tackles rotate. Between Cole, Jenkins, Williams, Pickett, and Allen your are looking at them dividing about 160 snaps a game between themsevles a game.

I think if our defense is out there for 80 snaps a game, something is seriously wrong (turnovers by the offense, unable to get off the field on third down, etc.). I'd prefer our defense be on the field for no more than 55-60 snaps. If I'm correct on my math, that means the opposing offense is throwing the ball between 30 and 40 times, and running the ball (hopefully with little success) for about 15-25 plays. Hence, our offense has the ball for 65-75 snaps (I'm going on the basis of about 130 plays from scrimmage per game for both teams, excluding, punts, FGs, EXPs, kickoffs and free kicks).
If I'm wrong on my math or estimation of plays per game, I'm sure someone will helpfully point out my errors.

KYPack
06-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I think he was pretty good in NY, my impression is that he was a casualty of signing Lavar Arrington. He showed up a little overweight and they didn't need much of a reason.

He was streaky with the Giants. Allen played well at times, but not consistently. He wouldn't respond to communication from the coaches at the start of the off-season and that was the final straw. The signing of a buck LB had nothing to do with the release of DT Allen.

I really like Cole mesself, He's a good hustling kid, looking to make a name for himself. He never stops playing hard and backs down to nobody. I think he will have a big year.

Shouldn't it be the "Cole Slaw" instead of the " Cole Train"?

Fosco33
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I am also high on Cole.

Is that legal in WI? :razz:

We also drafted Johnny Jolly in the 6th round this year. The 'Jolly Green Giant' seems to fit pretty well.

IMO, Pack will start Pickett and Cole and have to sort through the rest in July (look at the current roster less Picket and Cole - Kenny Peterson, Kenderick Allen, Johnny Jolly, Jerome Nichols, Donnell Washington, Corey Williams, Cullen Jenkins).

How many of these guys make the cut - 4 or 5? Peterson and Jenkins can also play DE. If you're making the call, who makes it and why?

PackerPro42
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I like Cole a lot to but I think they brought Allen in for one reason and that is to play next to Pickett. However I would really like to see Cole start because he is a beast.

K-town
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Fosco33:
Donnell Washinton is gone. With the RAID-uhz now.

Partial
06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
I like Cole a lot to but I think they brought Allen in for one reason and that is to play next to Pickett. However I would really like to see Cole start because he is a beast.

They brought in Allen on waivers. We'll see what happens with him. He could turn out to be a pleasant surprise or he may not make the roster. We'll have to see.

pittstang5
06-28-2006, 10:49 AM
There's going to be a lot of good battles in TC - WR, OL, RB, DT, LB. I'd want the best, devoted, dependable and hardest working player to play. For DT, if that's Cole....good for him! He's travelled a long and hard road to get here.

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I am jumping on this bandwagon. I saw Cole live at Lambeau for the new years game and let me tell you this guy is a beast. He was trying to get his teammates fired up on the sideline and they seemed to be a bit intimidated by him while he was doing so.

I remember reading something about how strong he is. Anyone recall??

Bossman641
06-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I am jumping on this bandwagon. I saw Cole live at Lambeau for the new years game and let me tell you this guy is a beast. He was trying to get his teammates fired up on the sideline and they seemed to be a bit intimidated by him while he was doing so.

I remember reading something about how strong he is. Anyone recall??

I'm not sure exactly how strong he is but he was supposedly a very good wrestler in high school.

Pack0514
06-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Mike "Ron Mexico" Vick, meet Colin Cole.

http://images.packers.com/pg/cole_colin_2005/photo5.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I think it will be like last year (subbing Pickett in for Jackson). Cole and Pickett will rotate, while Jenkins and Williams will rotate. Hopefully, they all improve. Corey Williams is the guy I see a big jump from. I saw serious improvement last year, but little injuries hurt him early in the year.

Partial
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
He just looks mean in that picture, whoa man!!

Partial
06-28-2006, 11:15 AM
I think it will be like last year (subbing Pickett in for Jackson). Cole and Pickett will rotate, while Jenkins and Williams will rotate. Hopefully, they all improve. Corey Williams is the guy I see a big jump from. I saw serious improvement last year, but little injuries hurt him early in the year.

That would be nice!! I don't care who does it, I am just really hoping we can get some sort of pass rush from the inside

pittstang5
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
That would be nice!! I don't care who does it, I am just really hoping we can get some sort of pass rush from the inside

Inside, outside, farside, nearside....a pass rush is all I want!

Fosco33
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Fosco33:
Donnell Washinton is gone. With the RAID-uhz now.

Thanks! So he never plays a game w/ the Pack and we have nothing to show for that third round pick, huh? Throw in BJ Sanders and you have a terrible draft. What a waste! Missed out on guys like Schaub and Vasher (20-20).

RashanGary
06-28-2006, 02:53 PM

I believe the Packers spread their DE's wide on most plays and ask the DT to occupy more space. If the DT is trying to eat up blockers, it's pretty hard to put pressure on the QB. For the most part, GB rely's on the DE's to bring pressure. Having Montgomery contribute in a big way and keeping KGB and Kamp fresh would be the biggest step t'ward a big pass rush. I doubt it is going to come from the middle. Everything I've read about the scheme GB is currently employing, the DT's rarely even attempt to rush the passer as a primary objective. They do not try to penatrate off the snap.

I think on 2nd or 3rd and long plays, we'll see Jenkings/Pickett or Jenkins/Allen in the middle. That would be a nice pass rush tandem.

MadtownPacker
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Great pick Pack0514!! IT looks like Cole is gonna take a bite out of the diseased one but realizes the health risk!!

Sign me up for the Cole patrol!! Cole patrol!! Cole patrol!! Cole patrol!! Cole patrol!!

Harlan Huckleby
06-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Cole on! Cole on! Cole on!

Mazzin
06-28-2006, 09:18 PM
In that Vick picture he looks like a HUGE Predator....like The old school predator, YIKES wouldn't want that guy lining up across from a loved one! :shock:

FritzDontBlitz
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
colin cole is from iowa, same as aaron kampman. both were coached by kirk ferentz.

enough said

esoxx
06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
I like Cole a lot. I'm definitely on the Cole Train. The word will be out on him by mid-season.

the_idle_threat
06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Sign me up as a fan of Colin Cole. However, I'm not comfortable with "hopping on the Cole train." Something doesn't sound right ...

Partial
06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole! Colin Cole!

packbro
06-29-2006, 01:57 AM
I think you guys are right Colin will have a good year. Cole is playing for a contract and his NFL life, if he has a good year he can demand some good money from the packers, or another team.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 07:42 AM

I think if our defense is out there for 80 snaps a game, something is seriously wrong (turnovers by the offense, unable to get off the field on third down, etc.). I'd prefer our defense be on the field for no more than 55-60 snaps. If I'm correct on my math, that means the opposing offense is throwing the ball between 30 and 40 times, and running the ball (hopefully with little success) for about 15-25 plays. Hence, our offense has the ball for 65-75 snaps (I'm going on the basis of about 130 plays from scrimmage per game for both teams, excluding, punts, FGs, EXPs, kickoffs and free kicks).
If I'm wrong on my math or estimation of plays per game, I'm sure someone will helpfully point out my errors.

This assessment is very accurate K-town. If we have to defend in 80 plays Our "D" is getting worn out and we are getting shellacked! We have to keep the oppositions offence down, to closer to 65 plays.

MJZiggy
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I think you guys are right Colin will have a good year. Cole is playing for a contract and his NFL life, if he has a good year he can demand some good money from the packers, or another team.

Welcome to the forum packbro. Enjoy.

Joemailman
06-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Cole played well last year, but he faces some very stiff competition, as DT is one of the deepest positions on this team. Last year the Packers finished the season with 4 DT's. I'll assume that is what they will go with this year. Pickett and Jenkins are locks. I think it is unlikely the Packers will cut Johnny Jolly, unless he is a total bust, since they have invested a draft pick in him. That would leave Cole battling with Kendrick Allen and Corey Williams for the last DT spot (I have Peterson listed as a DE). While I think Cole would likely win the battle, it cannot be considered a foregone conclusion.

Of course, it is possible that the Packers will put Jolly on IR for the year. It is also possible that Thompson could swing a trade with a team looking for DT help. The battle at DT is sure to be one of the most interesting battles in training camp.

CaptainKickass
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
What do you think Cole is gonna do against SD this weekend?

anyone?

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM

:idea: That's about RIGHT. :idea:

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 12:04 PM
What do you think Cole is gonna do against SD this weekend?

anyone?

He's going to play hard the way the TEAM needs him to !

GOOD LUCK PACKERS Vs. "the Chargers" !

Scott Campbell
08-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I think it is unlikely the Packers will cut Johnny Jolly, unless he is a total bust, since they have invested a draft pick in him.

I don't think he'll get any special treatment being a 6th round pick. That's a pretty minimal investment.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I think it is unlikely the Packers will cut Johnny Jolly, unless he is a total bust, since they have invested a draft pick in him.

I don't think he'll get any special treatment being a 6th round pick. That's a pretty minimal investment.

We are re-building and we can't keep all of the rookies unless T2 and company see something REAL.

FAITH - PACKERS !!

Scott Campbell
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM

We are re-building and we can't keep all of the rookies unless T2 and company see something REAL.

FAITH - PACKERS !!

That's another good point. With as many draft picks as we had, there are more rookies than usual in our draft class that will inevitably get their walking papers before the season begins.

Deputy Nutz
08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
The Cole Sausage!!!

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
The Cole Sausage!!!

Where's your Badge? :mrgreen:

BallHawk
08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm onboard.

MJZiggy
08-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I think he'll be underestimated and stomp on a few people. I mean who expects to be stomped on by a 6th rounder?

Bretsky
08-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Call me the Cole Troll if you want, but I'm not nearly ready to get on. Yes, he greatly improved last year and I like his fire..but I don't know if he'll ever be anything above average.

But for what it's worth, my wife thinks he has a tight @ss for a big guy. She doesn't add a lot of knowledge when she attends games with me so that stuck out a bit.

Cheers,
B

Partial
08-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Boooooooooo!! Fuck the Cole Troll!!!!!!

Bretsky, you can either get on this train, or get the hell out of the way, but be rest assured this train isn't stopping for anybody!!!

All ABOARD the COLE TRAIN!!!

Partial
08-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Right now we're looking at the starters being

KGB
Cole
Pickett
Kampman

Allen and Jenkins are virtually locks to make the team. The 5th tackle will likely be Jolly.

Who are the back-up ends going to be? I am sure they will go with Montgomery. I think it's likely they'll use Jenkins as a backup end. By doing that, they will be able to keep Corey Williams as well.

That seems like a pretty damn deep line to me. The pass rush will be pretty decent on third down with Pickett, Jenkins, KGB and Kampman, with Poppinga coming from the linebacker spot.

The line on its own may not be dominant and be able to get to the passer consistently, but with the added blitzer in poppinga I think they'll see some success.

RashanGary
08-11-2006, 02:52 AM
I pretty much agree with that last post Partial. You have to get rid of Kenny Peterson. The rest of those guys just look like gamers to me. There goes another one of Shermans 3rd round picks....gag...

mission
08-11-2006, 09:15 AM
ill definitely hop on the train as long as no sausage is involved! :evil:

Partial
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM

The train will be nothing but sausage. Collin Cole is a big man and we all know he loves to chow down a few good brats before, during and after each game.

Willard
08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I like Cole. It is possible that the Pack will have 3 starting Iowa Hawkeyes on their defense before the end of the season :shock: .

One more observation: the Pack seems to be DT-rich and DE-poor. Assuming TT can't find a DE on the waiver wire anytime soon perhaps the best strategy is to really push one of the more athletic DTs on the roster (Jenkins?) to really learn the DE position -- at least for run defense situations.

Astonishment
08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I like Cole. It is possible that the Pack will have 3 starting Iowa Hawkeyes on their defense before the end of the season :shock: .

So the Cole train runs one way from Iowa to Wisconsin? Than is everyone on the train call "The Cole Patrol" - appologies to Taylor Hicks.

Deputy Nutz
08-11-2006, 03:11 PM

The train will be nothing but sausage. Collin Cole is a big man and we all know he loves to chow down a few good brats before, during and after each game.

Hey Partial a Coal sausage is another name for a black man's penis

Get it, the Cole Sausage?

CaptainKickass
10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Ressurected by me ...so you don't have to.

I rewatched the Colts game and Cole was having a great game. I think he deserves a thread bump.

The thread itself was a good read - until Nutz last coment.

He sure knows how to kill an otherwise interesting thread.

-The Captain

KYPack
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM

I rewatched the Colts game and Cole was having a great game. I think he deserves a thread bump.

-The Captain

Nobody came up with Cole Slaw, eh?

CaptainKickass
10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Further evidence to ressurect the Cole Train:

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/10/22/1/

Great to see him getting positive press.

:D

Fritz
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Call me the Cole Troll if you want, but I'm not nearly ready to get on. Yes, he greatly improved last year and I like his fire..but I don't know if he'll ever be anything above average.

But for what it's worth, my wife thinks he has a tight @ss for a big guy. She doesn't add a lot of knowledge when she attends games with me so that stuck out a bit.

Cheers,
B

Look Bretsky - you wuz right! Sure he played well in the Colts game, but Cole has been the very definition of average since you posted this two years ago.

Bretsky
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Cheers,
B

Look Bretsky - you wuz right! Sure he played well in the Colts game, but Cole has been the very definition of average since you posted this two years ago.

Thanks Fritz; normally people bump threads to shove it on somebody's face (I recall somebody bumping a thread of me criticizing the Harrell pick after Harrell had one decent game last year)..........so it's nice of you to comment I was right for once.

As many opinions as I am never afraid to express.........I'm bound to be right once in a while :lol:

Cheers,
B

Scott Campbell
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
.........so it's nice of you to comment I was right for once.

Have there been any other occurances? :lol:

Pacopete4
10-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Collin Cole made everyone forget about Williams being traded I think... they seem to be about the same player

hurleyfan
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM

-The Captain

That's impressive Captain... going back two years to bump a thread :P :?:

CaptainKickass
10-23-2008, 06:14 PM

-The Captain

It's the whole fricKin' "Cole Train" thing.

If you're old enough to remember "The Soul Train" television show... and the intro to it...it would get stuck in your head too.

Especially when you see the dude making a few plays and you're like "who was that?"... and then you realize...."It's THE COOOOOOLE TRAIIIIIIINNNNNN......"

Impressive? Yes most impressive...but I am not a Jedi yet.

hurleyfan
10-23-2008, 06:23 PM

-The Captain

If you're old enough to remember "The Soul Train" television show... and the intro to it...it would get stuck in your head too.

Especially when you see the dude making a few plays and you're like "who was that?"... and then you realize...."It's THE COOOOOOLE TRAIIIIIIINNNNNN......"

Good ol' Don Cornelius! Just got busted for something I think...

My young Skywalker!

cpk1994
10-23-2008, 06:25 PM

-The Captain

Good ol' Don Cornelius! Just got busted for something I think...

My young Skywalker!I thought he died? Oh wait, that was the movie trailer voice over guy.