PDA

View Full Version : Donald Lee unhappy?

Brando19
11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/34127209.html

I hope Rodgers starts throwing more balls to Donald. He has a point, give him the damn ball!

Tony Oday
11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I would say then GET OPEN!

bobblehead
11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
In our offense TE is usually the 4th read...its a lot easier to dump it to a RB coming out of the backfield. As much as I prefer rodgers to favre, BF was an old veteran and getting to the 4th read was easier for him than it is for a first year starter....DLee will get his, he just needs patience.

Tarlam!
11-08-2008, 03:24 AM
He doesn't sound bitter in the article, just disappointed. And, despite it making something for us to discuss, which is a good thing, maybe he shouldn't have talked publicly about it. Maybe he should have talked to McAdoo.

Seems like a nice enough kid and maybe he's putting another log on the fire caused by Finley.

Patler
11-08-2008, 05:39 AM
He suggests that he didn't want to talk to McAdoo because he didn't want to sound like a malcontent. So he talked to a reporter about it instead??? Now there is a wise decision!! :roll: :roll:

Patler
11-08-2008, 05:46 AM

...or, do something with the ball when you get it! After 8 games:

2007 - 29 receptions for 382 yards
2008 - 22 receptions for 163 yards.

7 fewer receptions, 219 less yards. His production has dropped more than his opportunities.

steve823
11-08-2008, 05:58 AM

7 fewer receptions, 219 less yards. His production has dropped more than his opportunities.

Cant always go by stats though Patler. In 07 he didnt break them all out after he caught it..most of them were deeper balls as opposed to his catches now.

Patler
11-08-2008, 06:37 AM

Cant always go by stats though Patler. In 07 he didnt break them all out after he caught it..most of them were deeper balls as opposed to his catches now.

Exactly my point and why I quoted Tony in my response. There are two aspects to it, get open as Tony mentioned, then do something with it when you get it. He has only seven fewer receptions than he had in in 8 games last year. The decrease in receptions is not huge. He is on pace for 44 on the year. Not an extreme amount, but he is not being ignored either. His perforance with the ball once he gets it is poor.

He said he worked in the off season "so when I got those same opportunities I could break 50-, 70-yard touchdowns." Is he doing that? What has he done with the 22 opportunities he has had?

I dislike it when an athletes sees a drop in his production and looks externally rather than internally. He says he is not getting the ball, but he is. He isn't doing much with it when he does get it. Maybe he should look for the things he could do to improve himself as a target and to improve his performance after he gets it. It's easy to look for blame elsewhere.

Patler
11-08-2008, 06:57 AM
The other thing that the article, and Lee, totally ignore is that all the Packers did early last year was pass, pass, pass. Again, after 8 games:

2007 - 308 attempts, 205 completions
2008 - 267 attempts, 169 completions.

He is not that much less of a focus in the passing game than he was last year.

Patler
11-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I had a question about the article when I read it, too. McGinn wrote about 2007:

Despite the fact that Bubba Franks started ahead of him until Week 7 last season, Lee still had 29 receptions for 382 yards by midseason.

Bubba Franks was not the starter at all in 2007, Lee was. Franks had totally a supporting role last season, with no starts. Lee was made the starter in pre-season last year. The only game Lee did not start in the first half of the season was against Philadelphia, when the Packers came out with 3 WRs and no TE. But Lee was still the #1 TE on the depth chart at that time.

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Less risk throwing down the middle of the field with a green QB. The Packers are not attacking the middle of the field quite as often with Rodgers as they did with Favre. Also Favre's ability to sling the ball into a mess of defenders and still hit the receiver allowed guys like Lee to make more opportunity with each catch. Much like Rodgers throw to Jennings in the last preseason game, he threw into double coverage and broke it. Jennings had an easy jog into the endzone.

DonHutson
11-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Lee's just worried because he's got Finley, the coach's favorite, breathing down his neck.

:roll:

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 11:07 AM
let him go to the JETS

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 11:10 AM
let him go to the JETS

Ya, sure

The Jets have a first round draft pick they are grooming to excel

And Chris Baker is pretty comparable to Donald Lee IMO

I doubt they'd have much interest

Fritz
11-09-2008, 11:23 AM
I hate it when our receivers like Jennings say after games that the other team's corner knew exactly what route was going to be run - usually it's the slant. I hope the o-line can play well enough for Jennings/Nelson/Driver (and, I hope, Jones) to be able to fake that slant inside then go upfield long.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
let him go to the JETS

Ya, sure

The Jets have a first round draft pick they are grooming to excel

And Chris Baker is pretty comparable to Donald Lee IMO

I doubt they'd have much interest

twas a joke bretsky! haha :glug: