PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan in 2012

HowardRoark
11-08-2008, 08:20 AM
As many of you might know by now, I have developed a little bit of a man-crush on this guy. I don't see him speak that often, as I don't live in Wisconsin. Everytime I do hear him talk, I am very impressed.

NOVEMBER 8, 2008

Ryan for the Republicans

The party needs an economic spokesman.

After the shellacking it received at the polls Tuesday, the Republican Party faces a choice. It can put the loss down to the country's fatigue with the Bush Administration and the bad luck of running amid a financial panic and shrug it off. Or it can choose a new direction, with new leadership, and retake the high ground it once occupied, especially on the economy.

These columns are devoted to ideas, not party, and ordinarily we would not insert ourselves into the internal debate over party leadership. But in the current political and economic climate, it is important that somebody offer an effective argument against the interventionist, antigrowth conventional wisdom that dominates the majority party in Congress. And if the Republican Party would offer that counterargument, Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan seems to be the right man to make the case.
Mr. Ryan was first elected in 1998, and he has always won re-election comfortably in a state and a district that are not particularly safe territory for Republicans. Racine County, which represents the biggest piece of Mr. Ryan's district in southeastern Wisconsin, voted for Barack Obama, 53%-46%, but still voted to re-elect Mr. Ryan 62%-37%. He is, in other words, a politician practiced in speaking to and winning over voters who are not necessarily die-hard Republicans.

But the most important reason that Mr. Ryan is the right man at the current moment has nothing to do with electoral calculation. The 38-year-old Mr. Ryan cares about free markets and economic growth and can talk about those subjects in a way that makes sense without falling back on ideology, bromides or oversimplification. He engages these subjects with a vigor that befits his age, and while he has been in Congress for nearly a decade, his is a fresh face on the national scene, one not associated with the bipartisan failures of Congress.

Mr. Ryan is also an effective communicator on television, which will be an important outlet for reaching the American people and presenting an alternative to the economic ideas of Barney Frank, Nancy Pelosi and Charlie Rangel. This summer, with a Presidential election well underway and his party in the minority, Mr. Ryan unveiled a far-sighted "Road Map for America's Future."

It is a remarkable document: Other politicians, including Presidential candidates, boldly declare their intentions to push any hard or painful choices off to blue-ribbon commissions. Mr. Ryan's Road Map puts into legislative language not mere general principles, but a plan to pay for all the promises we've made to seniors while preventing government spending from achieving French proportions. "I want to be the Paul Revere of fiscal policy," he said at the time, raising the alarm on our long-term liabilities even while President-elect Obama and others insist that there's nothing to see when it comes to the long-term insolvency of Medicare and Social Security.

More generally, the Republican Party needs a prominent figure who can discuss the full range of economic issues -- growth, the dollar, global trade and monetary policy included. The economy was the top issue on voter minds in this election, and Republicans lost. The party needs someone who can put these issues into a context that voters can understand and relate to. And looking at the national field, there seem precious few candidates for the job.

Mr. Ryan did not solicit our support, and we should note that he said Thursday that he isn't seeking the leadership job. John Boehner, the current leader, wasn't the cause of this year's GOP losses and is the favorite to retain his position. If that's what House Republicans want to do, so be it. Our job is to say what we think in any case. And Mr. Ryan's economic knowledge and youthful energy make him the best choice to pull his party in a more promising direction.

mraynrand
11-08-2008, 09:11 AM
He needs more ties to radicals to qualify for President.

bobblehead
11-08-2008, 01:35 PM
This just proves my point. The country is in line with Ryan's views, yet obama won the district. This was a referendum on McCain and the big gov't version of the GOP, not a mandate for the democrats.

62% of the people liked Ryan, yet 53% voted for his polar opposite....what does that tell you. The bush/mccain model is refuted, lets get behind the real conservatives.

retailguy
11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
He needs more ties to radicals to qualify for President.

He's not "qualified" to be President. He's been in the house longer than 145 days.

forget about it.

mraynrand
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
This just proves my point. The country is in line with Ryan's views, yet obama won the district. This was a referendum on McCain and the big gov't version of the GOP, not a mandate for the democrats.

62% of the people liked Ryan, yet 53% voted for his polar opposite....what does that tell you. The bush/mccain model is refuted, lets get behind the real conservatives.

Well, now is the time to put your (and Maxi - where is he?) idea to the test. Ryan and Jindal are probably the best reps right now to advance.

Jimx29
11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
can he spend money like a drunken sailer?

wist43
11-08-2008, 08:57 PM
The country will never elect an actual conservative again... all governing from this point foward will be from the Left.

New York, Illinois, California, Florida, and Texas... how many electoral votes there??? I fully expect that those states will never again be "red states". Hispanic population explosions in Texas and Florida effectively take them out of play, and they're committed to turning the U.S. into "Northern Mexico"... completely bankrupt.

It amazes me that people flee countries with corrupt systems of government, and then set about trying to impose those same corrupt systems here, unbelievable.

swede
11-08-2008, 09:03 PM
It amazes me that people flee countries with corrupt systems of government...

fwiw Ty says that Sarah Palin does not approve of flee research. I do not know if Paul Ryan approves of it or not. He does have nice hair.

bobblehead
11-09-2008, 01:31 AM
The country will never elect an actual conservative again... all governing from this point foward will be from the Left.

New York, Illinois, California, Florida, and Texas... how many electoral votes there??? I fully expect that those states will never again be "red states". Hispanic population explosions in Texas and Florida effectively take them out of play, and they're committed to turning the U.S. into "Northern Mexico"... completely bankrupt.

It amazes me that people flee countries with corrupt systems of government, and then set about trying to impose those same corrupt systems here, unbelievable.

Have faith my child....take note which republicans are stepping down and relinquishing leadership posts and which ones are gaining power...the Jeff Flakes of the world are coming to power and the world will be better for it.

wist43
11-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Have faith my child....take note which republicans are stepping down and relinquishing leadership posts and which ones are gaining power...the Jeff Flakes of the world are coming to power and the world will be better for it.

As you know, I'm not a Republican, except in a theoretical sense, i.e. as our founders were... "... to the republic for which it stands, etc".

That said, the demographics of the country are changing to the point where "minority" groups make up the majority... it's no secret they have their hand out. 95% of blacks vote democrat, a majority of hispanics, a majority of women, the social security class, etc...

All of those groups either have their hand out, or "want to help someone else"...

Did you see that video of that idiot black woman at the Obama rally??? Paraphrased b/c I don't remember the exact quote... "I won't have to pay my mortgage, I won't have to pay my heating bill"... think about that - that's lunacy. Yet that is the prevailing attitude amonst the mob.

The Republicans, in order to compete for "power", which in my view and the founders view, should be very, very small and limited on the federal level, will have to pander to those groups and promise ever more goodies from the treasury.

Can't keep up that pace of give aways... eventually the entire free market system will collapse under the weight of all the programs and corruption, and of course the demagouges will blame it on the greedy business owner, the greedy corporations, and the free market... their solution - of course - will be more government control.

Sound familiar???

falco
11-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Did you see that video of that idiot black woman at the Obama rally??? Paraphrased b/c I don't remember the exact quote... "I won't have to pay my mortgage, I won't have to pay my heating bill"... think about that - that's lunacy. Yet that is the prevailing attitude amonst the mob.

bullshit, thats one video of one person.

wist43
11-09-2008, 08:56 AM

bullshit, thats one video of one person.

bullshit, to your bullshit... that is the prevailing attitude. Doesn't matter if someone wants their mortgage paid, or subsidized, or their health care paid for, or food stamps, or whatever - the genie is out of the bottle. The mob clamours, the ruling elite demagogue it, and raid the public treasury. It's not that complicated.

It's what the mob does... and it will only get worse. Rome, Greece, Lycia, et al... every democracy in history - EVERY ONE - went this same way, MOBACRACY. Just b/c the majority of the mob aren't as far gone as that idiot, doesn't mean that the sentiment isn't a prevailing one. I put Aunt Ida on Social Security and Medicare in the same boat as that pig of woman at the rally.

You see those commericals for the "Scooter Store"... "... if you qualify, you pay nothing, it's free... Medicare picks up the tab"... blah, blah, blah. It's not free to someone else - that someone else is me, the taxpayer. Aunt Ida had her money stolen from her long ago, and now she's turning a blind eye to the fact that she's taking loot stolen from her grandchildren by the government. She's just as corrupt and dishonest as that woman in the video. They are the mob.

falco
11-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I won't debate any of your points, just objecting to your broad brush strokes

texaspackerbacker
11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I won't debate any of your points, just objecting to your broad brush strokes

Like racism in general, it's all about percentages. If you use those broad brush strokes to paint absolutes--"all blacks are this" or "all blacks are that", then it's wrong. Obviously, all blacks or even most of them don't share the views of that lady. Certainly, however, a fair percentage of them do.

And why is that? I say again, because of bunch of Jeremiah Wright-type black preachers and other so-called black leaders are "owned" by the political left and serve as overseers, dutifully delivering 95% of the black vote to the Dems. Demagoguery and propaganda like this paying people's house and car payments are tools they use to that end.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this was about Paul Ryan. What could be better than a conservative from Janesville?

My impression, at this point, is that he is not near well known enough to have a decent chance. If he is as decent a conservative as I have been led to understand, I very much doubt the leftist mainstream media will let him become well known enough--unless they can dig up dirt on him and make him known in a negative way.

We conservatives need to understand the tilt of the field we are playing on.