PDA

View Full Version : Donnell Washington has found a new home

K-town
06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Raiders take gamble on defensive tackle WashingtonBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Hoping to demonstrate again that one franchise's draft bust might become an Oakland bonanza, the Raiders on Tuesday signed free agent defensive tackle Donnell Washington, a two-year veteran released by the Green Bay Packers on June 9.

Washington, 25, was Green Bay's third-round choice in the 2004 draft, but he never played a single snap in a Packers uniform in two seasons with the team. Two different staffs grew frustrated at his chronic weight problems and apparent lack of motivation, and first-year coach Mike McCarthy finally decided to cut ties with the former Clemson star after a minicamp earlier this month.

Details of the contract that Washington signed with Oakland were not available. But it is expected to be a modest deal and, if that is the case, the gamble by Raiders officials might not be a bad one. Oakland lacks depth at defensive tackle behind projected starters Warren Sapp and Tommy Kelly and, should Washington ever play up to his enormous potential, the Raiders may have added a good player at a reasonable price.

The Raiders' history is full of examples of players who succeeded after Oakland officials granted them a second chance.

Oakland is also scheduled to meet with unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Grady Jackson, a nine-year veteran coming off a season with the Packers in which he registered a career-best 72 tackles, sometime this week. Defensive tackle remains, for most teams, one of the most difficult positions at which to create depth.

In addition to a third-round choice, the Packers invested $1.245 million in bonuses and base salaries in Washington. And for that, they got absolutely nothing, as Washington never appeared in a regular-season game.

For Washington to be effective and for him to salvage a once-promising career, the Raiders' coaches are going to have to find a way to light a fire under him and to get his weight to a manageable level. Despite their repeated efforts, the Packers could do neither.

So ardently did former Green Bay coach Mike Sherman covet Washington that he traded third- and fourth-round choices in the 2004 draft to move up 14 spots to select him. Washington missed his rookie season with a foot injury, however, and then did little in training camp last summer to justify his draft status. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2005.

He reported to an early spring mincamp at 345 pounds, at least 10 pounds more than the target the Green Bay staff had given him, and McCarthy forbade him from practicing at the time. His weight was better at a second minicamp, and Washington participated in that three-day session and in some ensuing organized team activities.

But apparently, Washington did not impress the Packers coaches and could not convince them he should compete for a roster spot. At 6-feet-5½, Washington has a prototype frame for a defensive tackle and his strength is terrific, with a career-best bench press of nearly 500 pounds. His time in the 40, slightly more than five seconds, is also impressive.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Harlan Huckleby
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
So ardently did former Green Bay coach Mike Sherman covet Washington that he traded third- and fourth-round choices in the 2004 draft to move up 14 spots to select him. Washington missed his rookie season with a foot injury, however, and then did little in training camp last summer to justify his draft status. He was inactive for all 16 games in 2005.

He reported to an early spring mincamp at 345 pounds

What a painful story.

It will grow slightly more painful if he turns his career around in LA!

Rastak
06-28-2006, 12:23 PM

What a painful story.

It wouldn't be the first time. A guy named Gilbert Brown showed up in Minnesota out of shape and not that productive and he caught on with another team and played well for years. Also, Minnesota signed an undrafted free agent Colin Cole but cut him because he couldn't crack the depth chart and he played well for some other team last year.....heck some excellent forum even has a thread about him.....

:lol:

ahaha
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm astonished that the Vikings didn't make a serious run at Washington or Jackson. With their obsession over Packer and Badger players, I thought, for sure, they would grab one of those guys. Maybe they're saving their money, in case we cut Robert Ferguson or Mark Roman.

Partial
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I imagined they'd try and get fergie if we cut him. They are lacking in the quality receivers as well.

Pack0514
06-28-2006, 02:32 PM
For some reason I see Fergy as a guy who could be very good if he'd just get his head out of his ass. Tell me, why is his head in his ass?

RashanGary
06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I hope he does well. The team did the right thing because his wake up call was unlikely to come if he didn't get a big kick in the ass like getting cut. I really won't miss him either way. The Packers have 4 or 5 guys that I like better.

Zool
06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Cause he feels like he's good enough to play without putting in the work needed.

Or he jsut looks better in practice than he actually is. Desire and will are a big part of the game.

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Tell me, why is his head in his ass?

because contortionists make good money. When he's done with football he's hoping to join the circus.

Pack0514
06-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Tell me, why is his head in his ass?

because contortionists make good money. When he's done with football he's hoping to join the circus.

LOL, very funny. :lol: :lol:

wist43
06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Washington can't play... there's no other way to put it.

He's stiff, plays too upright (no knee bend), can't get off blocks, can't rush the passer, can't get down the line, and doesn't play with good leverage. I don't care if you can bench press the world - if you aren't athletic and don't understand leverage, you can't play.

hurleyfan
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Washington can't play... there's no other way to put it.

He's stiff, plays too upright (no knee bend), can't get off blocks, can't rush the passer, can't get down the line, and doesn't play with good leverage. I don't care if you can bench press the world - if you aren't athletic and don't understand leverage, you can't play.

Well said Wist

He supposedly has a ton of talent, but if I remember one of the knocks against him coming out of college, was his "motor", or lack of.. took plays off, disappeared, but made enough plays to entice at least one dumb-fuck GM to take a chance..

Oh yeah, traded picks for him...

Why aren't the Houston Texans signing him :?:

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 06:09 PM

'cause Sherm's not in charge down there.

Deputy Nutz
06-28-2006, 06:24 PM
[quote=K-town]

What a painful story.

It will grow slightly more painful if he turns his career around in LA![/quote

When did LA get a team?

Harlan Huckleby
06-28-2006, 06:34 PM
are the raiders back in oakland? Shit, I can't keep track of everything. I'm a very busy, important man.

Deputy Nutz
06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I thought they were at first talking about the Semi-pro Racine Raiders, but then I realized they went out of business a couple of years ago. WOW, he really got signed by a real NFL team, how about that. I bet his dad the plumber is excited

the_idle_threat
06-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Did anyone else think "Under what bridge?" when they first saw the title of this thread?

Ok maybe it was just me.

hurleyfan
06-28-2006, 07:52 PM

I know Zigg..
just poking fun.. Hoping to get a response from Tank(or TPB - argh) what a great GM Sherm was despite all his screw-ups with his wonderful draft picks :mrgreen:

Iron Mike
06-28-2006, 08:19 PM
I thought they were at first talking about the Semi-pro Racine Raiders, but then I realized they went out of business a couple of years ago. WOW, he really got signed by a real NFL team, how about that. I bet his dad the plumber is excited

IMHO, the Racine Raiders are STILL around:

http://www.racineraiders.com/index.php

woodbuck27
06-28-2006, 08:42 PM
For some reason I see Fergy as a guy who could be very good if he'd just get his head out of his ass. Tell me, why is his head in his ass?

I'm thinking that Robert Ferguson has another year's shot in Green Bay and darn it, I sure hope that he gets there.

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM

I know Zigg..
just poking fun.. Hoping to get a response from Tank(or TPB - argh) what a great GM Sherm was despite all his screw-ups with his wonderful draft picks :mrgreen:

I was just rubbing it in a bit in case you did get a response... :cool:

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 07:45 AM

What a painful story.

Our fail urrr is now a Raid urrr.

Deputy Nutz
06-29-2006, 08:40 AM

IMHO, the Racine Raiders are STILL around:

http://www.racineraiders.com/index.php

See Harlan's excuse on page 1