PDA

View Full Version : Tauscher: Deal or No Deal?

Brando19
11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081107/PKR01/811080386/1057/PKR&located=RSS

For the first time since Mark Tauscher came to the Green Bay Packers as a seventh-round draft pick in 2000, there's a question of whether the Wisconsin native is in his last season with the team.

The former Auburndale High School and University of Wisconsin standout has been the Packers' starting right tackle for nine seasons, and during that time, he's essentially had two contracts: his rookie deal and a six-year extension he signed in November 2002 after he'd undergone season-ending knee reconstruction surgery. The Packers sweetened his contract along the way and last year added roster bonuses worth up to an additional $1.3 million in both 2007 and '08, but they haven't added any years to the deal.

Tauscher is halfway through the final year of his contract, and the Packers have not approached him about an extension, though that remains a possibility. At age 31, Tauscher has put plenty of miles on his body, but after a slow start this season, he's picked up his play. Barring injury or a major drop-off in performance, he should be in line for one last long-term deal this offseason. The question is whether the Packers will be willing to pay, or if they project someone else, perhaps fifth-round draft pick Breno Giacomini, will be ready to start at right tackle next year.

"I have no idea," Tauscher said of whether he'll be back with the Packers in 2009. "I really don't know."

Though Tauscher was a better fit for former coach Mike Sherman's power run game than coach Mike McCarthy's zone-blocking scheme, he's been a consistent and proficient pass blocker. This season, he's allowed only one sack, according to Stats, an independent statistical firm, as opposed to his six sacks allowed last year.

The Packers also have defended Tauscher's run blocking in the zone scheme the past 2½ years — among other things, the zone scheme places a heavy emphasis on effective cut blocking on the back side of plays — and the coaching staff still appears to have great faith in him because of his reliable health and overall ability. In the last 5½ seasons, Tauscher has missed only five of 88 games.

"Last game he had 10 guys he knocked off their feet, he had four cuts on the back side," said James Campen, the Packers' offensive line coach. "Against that defense, Tennessee, the way they play, that's pretty good. He can do it."

Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive coordinator, said: "(He's holding up) pretty well. He practices all the time. Very, very dependable."

The Packers might be waiting to monitor Tauscher's health and production the second half of the season before deciding whether to re-sign him, and if they feel good about that, could offer him an extension the last week or two of the regular season. But if they decide the risk of injury or risk in a drop in performance is high for the cost, they'll also have to feel good enough about either Giacomini or perhaps Tony Moll as a successor before replacing him.

Moll, a third-year pro, needed a strong rally during the second half of training camp to make the final roster, and his role in the NFL might be as a backup guard and right tackle rather than as a starter.

Giacomini probably is the better long-term prospect because of his tremendous size (6-foot-7, 311 pounds). He moved from tight end to right tackle for only his last 1½ seasons of college at Louisville and entered the NFL as a developmental prospect. The Packers say he's made huge strides.

For the first week or so of camp, the Packers' defensive ends ran over Giacomini on almost every snap of one-on-one pass blocking while he adjusted to the techniques the Packers teach, but he improved enough as camp went on to win a spot on the 53-man roster.

Though Giacomini has been active for only two regular-season games and has played in only one on special teams, he works in practice every day as the scout team right tackle against two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman.

"He's gotten a real good education on the pace you need to play at and the speed you need to play at to be successful in the league," Philbin said. "He appears to be a good effort player. He's got some feet for a big man, we think he bends pretty well for a big guy, moves well, so we're kind of excited about him."

Still, it's a big question whether he'd be ready to play at a solid starter's level by next year. With Giacomini's height, he'll have to learn to play with low pads on every snap so that smaller but powerful defensive ends don't gain the leverage advantage on him when he's run blocking. If he can do that, he has the power to get good push in the run game, and he also has the kind of mean streak teams covet in offensive linemen.

"He displays that every day, a very tough, physical kid that has learned to play with a controlled-type rage," Campen said. "That's to his credit. You can be overaggressive and screw yourself up and start making mistakes. He's learned to control that and put it into his functions, his work, his footwork, techniques."

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Well we all know that Thompson isn't going to redeal Tauscher based on any other than his play and his upside/downside. I would certainly like to see Tauscher end his career as a Packer, but in this day and age he certainly doesn't deserve anything, franchises don't owe the players anything. Besides there are other teams that will give tauscher a bigger contract and then cut him after a year or two and then he will be out of the league. He will get a nice signing bonus from the Texans, or Cheifs, or some team trying to rally their offensive line and squeeze the last bit of pulp out of an aging veteran.

KYPack
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Well we all know that Thompson isn't going to redeal Tauscher based on any other than his play and his upside/downside. I would certainly like to see Tauscher end his career as a Packer, but in this day and age he certainly doesn't deserve anything, franchises don't owe the players anything. Besides there are other teams that will give tauscher a bigger contract and then cut him after a year or two and then he will be out of the league. He will get a nice signing bonus from the Texans, or Cheifs, or some team trying to rally their offensive line and squeeze the last bit of pulp out of an aging veteran.

Cold, hard business realism is the only way to view the modern NFL (any era, really).

I imagine Nutz is right, GB will view Taush from a strict cost standpoint and maybe figure they need to move on. I think they could do real good by resigning him. He's an RT and can play effectively for 2 or 3 more years. It wouldn't be too difficult to structure a fair deal that keeps him on the team for the end of his career.

As many have noted, there are bunch of players contracts coming up in the next two years. They might not be able to work an aging player like Mark into that contract mix.

There are some tought decisions ahead of the team and Tausher may be one of those guys we have to turn our backs on.

Gunakor
11-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Assuming we plug Daryn Colledge in at LT in place of Chad Clifton, who'd be the guy we'd plug in at RT for Taucher? I think we'd almost have to retain Tauch for at least a year or two while we groom his replacement...

Deputy Nutz
11-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Assuming we plug Daryn Colledge in at LT in place of Chad Clifton, who'd be the guy we'd plug in at RT for Taucher? I think we'd almost have to retain Tauch for at least a year or two while we groom his replacement...

Then Thompson should have extended him last year, no I fear that a one year, and even a two year extension will not be enough to keep Tauscher in Green Bay.

Tarlam!
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I have ceased calling for TT to sign vets since the bubba Franks fiasco.

If Tausch gets a new deal, I'm sure the coaches and front office will know that it's best for the team. Same goes if not!

Joemailman
11-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I say deal. If it were Clifton whose contract was up this year, I think it would be no deal.

Packers4Ever
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I say deal. If it were Clifton whose contract was up this year, I think it would be no deal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In light of the shortages on the O that GB seemed to continually be working over, mainly in '07, I think it would be foolish to cut Mark Tauscher when current contract expires. He's a highly-experienced and loyal Packer and could very possibly be the answer to a sudden need on the line next fall.

Of course I imagine that would mean GB would have to come up with a new contract? Or - - ??

RashanGary
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Tauscher has had an OK season. I wouldn't be upset if he left. I'm one of the few that likes Tony Moll around here. He's played so/so at guard, but I think his best position is tackle. When he came in for Tausch a year or two ago (don't remember when it was), he did a really good job. We never complained. It went unoticed, but I saw a guy that can play.

packers.com just had a very complimentary piece on Darryn Colledge. This sounds crazy after the last two years of ups and downs, but he's probably been our best offensive lineman this year.

If I had to rate the lineman right now in order of best to worst based on their play this season only, I'd say:

Colledge
Spitz
Tauscher
Clifton
Wells

Next year I think Sitton will take over for Spitz, Spitz for Wells, Moll for Tauscher and who Colledge will either play LT or LG depending on what happens at LT. I also think Barbre has LT potential. He's dumb, but giving him one on one matchups outside rather than compicated inside assignments might be the way to take advantage of his athletic abitliy while hiding his idiocy.

Pacopete4
11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
ya fuck tauscher... lets bring in one of teddy boys draft picks to make this line even worse... TT is a fool with lineman and I dont expect anything less than him letting our best tackle get away..

Kyle.McCarroll
11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
ya fuck tauscher... lets bring in one of teddy boys draft picks to make this line even worse... TT is a fool with lineman and I dont expect anything less than him letting our best tackle get away..

Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are very good OT's, but the fact of the matter is that they are not ZBS OT's. IMO that is why we have been better with Pass Blocking than with Zone Blocking.

You either have to change your scheme, or bring in the personnel to effectively run it. When Colledge finally takes over at LT and we bring in the new RT (whoever that may be) the cutback lanes will be so big that even Grant won't miss them. :wink:

And it's not like TT is just letting our best OT get away. For one, I don't think Tausch is our best OT. Colledge is. Second, we have LOTS of people to re-sign. We are deep enough in talent there to get away with letting Tausch walk. It's called cutting your losses.

Bretsky
11-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't remotely see this talk of DC being our best lineman

Kyle.McCarroll
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
BTW, my dream scenario would be letting go of Clifton (32) and replacing him with Colledge (26), and letting go of Tauscher (31) and signing Jordan Gross, OT/Car (28). This improves the quality of our OT's, makes them younger and solidifies our line for quite a while.

The Panthers run a ZBS, so Jordan Gross is a natural ZBS OT. Also, Gross can play both OT positions. He played LT for Carolina during the '03, '04, '06 and '07 seasons and played RT during the '05 season. So he could fit in at RT if Colledge is truly our LT of the future, which I think he is.

Kyle.McCarroll
11-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Then you haven't been watching closely enough. The coaches have been constantly praising Colledge as of late.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/11/07/4/

Bretsky
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
BTW, my dream scenario would be letting go of Clifton (32) and replacing him with Colledge (26), and letting go of Tauscher (31) and signing Jordan Gross, OT/Car (28). This improves the quality of our OT's, makes them younger and solidifies our line for quite a while.

The Panthers run a ZBS, so Jordan Gross is a natural ZBS OT. Also, Gross can play both OT positions. He played LT for Carolina during the '03, '04, '06 and '07 seasons and played RT during the '05 season. So he could fit in at RT if Colledge is truly our LT of the future, which I think he is.

I'd be down with this; I don't see TT breaking out the coin needed to sign Jordan Gross though.

Kyle.McCarroll
11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd be down with this; I don't see TT breaking out the coin needed to sign Jordan Gross though.

Yeah I'm afraid he's going to cost a lot. But TT has shown that he will spend the money if he feels that it will help the team. And I think spending money on either the OL or DL is definitely a possibility. But with all of the core players that need to be re-signed, it's not likely.

Patler
11-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Then you haven't been watching closely enough. The coaches have been constantly praising Colledge as of late.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2008/11/07/4/

It's more like they are saying he doesn't suck as bad as he used to, not that he is the best. For the last two years, he has been their worst starter, who repeatedly lost his spot, gaining it back only because of injuries. If Sitton hadn't gotten hurt in camp, Colledge may not have been the starter right now.

Do you not remember some of the early sacks this years, when Colledge barely even touched his guy? He caught a break last weak, facing mostly a backup when he subbed for Clifton. Heck, the article even said he won't make anyones pro-bowl ballot. In other words, he's not as bad as he was, but is still nothing to write home about.

The Gunshooter
11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Tauscher has had an OK season. I wouldn't be upset if he left. I'm one of the few that likes Tony Moll around here. He's played so/so at guard, but I think his best position is tackle. When he came in for Tausch a year or two ago (don't remember when it was), he did a really good job. We never complained. It went unoticed, but I saw a guy that can play.

Off the top of my head I am thinking GB is about 0-5 the last three years when Tauscher is out. That includes being shutout about 70-0 by NE and NYJ and a injured Favre and a broken foot for Rodgers because he was running for his life.

The Gunshooter
11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I forgot to add, if TT doesn't re-sign Tauscher he is making a huge mistake.

Freak Out
11-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Tausch can still ball but if TT won't move he'll go elsewhere and make some loot. He's worth it.

RashanGary
11-08-2008, 10:16 PM

I said earlier in the year that i thought he was playing really well and I had some, including Patler, say they didn't see it. NOw the coaches are coming out and giving him a lot of praise. I stand by my initial observation and back it up with some high praise from coaches that don't tend to blow sunshine up our asses.

Bretsky
11-08-2008, 11:14 PM

I said earlier in the year that i thought he was playing really well and I had some, including Patler, say they didn't see it. NOw the coaches are coming out and giving him a lot of praise. I stand by my initial observation and back it up with some high praise from coaches that don't tend to blow sunshine up our asses.

I read that same article as Patler does. He's becoming more consistent this year. He's been alright and hasn't swooned down. Certainly an improvement over last year.

At face value there is nothing in there that notes Colledge is excelling as a
starter.

Partial
11-09-2008, 12:40 AM
It begs the question of catering the schemes to your personal, or choosing your personal for your schemes.

I really don't care for the finesse running game. It's horrendously in effect in any short yardage situation... which is a primary function of a running game.

Patler
11-09-2008, 05:20 AM

Coaches, like campaign advisers, are prone to spin as much as to objective discussion when needed. Right now, I think it is needed with Colledge. Yes, he is better than he was, but you have to admit for two season he was the worst starting lineman. I think Spitz has played better than Colledge in the first half of the season. I expect Tauscher and Clifton may be better the second half, after slow starts. At least Clifton is now healthy, apparently.

RashanGary
11-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll agree that Spitz was more consistant in his first two seasons. I'm sure you don't track all of my opinions, but I have not been a Colledge supporter from the very beginning until this year. This year I think Colledge has done a very good job. Not perfect, but very good on a very high percentage of the plays. Campen and Philbin aren't the types to heap on praise. The only other real fluff stuff, before this, was about Spitz. This si the first time they've been so complimentary of Colledge adn I think an open mind, simply observing, would have caught that before the coaches praise.

Patler
11-09-2008, 09:06 AM
I'll agree that Spitz was more consistant in his first two seasons. I'm sure you don't track all of my opinions, but I have not been a Colledge supporter from the very beginning until this year. This year I think Colledge has done a very good job. Not perfect, but very good on a very high percentage of the plays. Campen and Philbin aren't the types to heap on praise. The only other real fluff stuff, before this, was about Spitz. This si the first time they've been so complimentary of Colledge adn I think an open mind, simply observing, would have caught that before the coaches praise.

I certainly do not interpret the same level of praise coming from the coaches that you do in the articles that have appeared. Basically they have said that this is a guy whose job we continually gave to someone else because he was very, very uneven in his performances. He has gained it back due to injuries, and now he has become more consistent, to a journeyman level of competence. That's not much praise in my book.

RashanGary
11-09-2008, 09:30 AM
My interperetation was that he was a young player, coming from a small school, being tossed in a position that tends to take time to develop without the luxury of having any time at all. Through that inordinately difficult time he had his struggles, but has shown the drive to get better, to the point where he is one of the most valuable members of this offensive line. On top of that he is starting to become good at more than one position so they can handle losing Chad Clifton without a huge drop off.

I thought it was very postive and very different from what they have said about him in the past. In the past, it was just, "he has to get more consistent". These coaches have been pretty honest. They dont' seem to fill players or media members full of false confidence. You could read it either way. I guess the real evidence will come if/when they decide to extend him. Then we'll see who read it correctly.

Dabaddestbear
11-09-2008, 10:51 AM
The Bears may be looking for a RT next year. He would fit in well with our power running game.

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 10:58 AM
The Bears may be looking for a RT next year. He would fit in well with our power running game.

Yes he would; and he's a Midwesterner. Gosh that would be the ultimate hell for me. An Ex Badger and Packer going to da Bears :lol:

Dabaddestbear
11-09-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes he would; and he's a Midwesterner. Gosh that would be the ultimate hell for me. An Ex Badger and Packer going to da Bears :lol:
I am the same way about any former Bear going to you guys. But strangely enough I cannot remember a Bear or Packer that went to the rival border team and had any type of success.

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 11:02 AM

I am the same way about any former Bear going to you guys. But strangely enough I cannot remember a Bear or Packer that went to the rival border team and had any type of success.

Generally speaking Green Bay figures if the player can't but it with the Bears they won't be worth a crap for us either :lol:

Seriously, though, I'm trying to think of the last ex Bear that had any success with Green Bay

WR Anthony Morgan is the only one I can think of. He started for us for a bit but was a well below average player

KYPack
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Colledge our best Offensive lineman? That is a joke if I've ever heard one.

For one thing, it doesn't remotely say that in any of the articles. For the another thing, it ain't true.

Colledge has improved in his overall play. He hasn't been benched this year, for instance. Colledge has improved by baby steps, but he has continued to improve. But the best offensive lineman on the team? Hell No! I dare you to show me tape where Colledge was the best lineman for one weeks play.

All that said, Colledge may well be the starting LT. If not next season, surely the one after that. The Oline is a man's game and all our little kiddies have grown up. You could see the line being composed of DC at Tackle, Spitz LG Wells and Sitton at RG.

I'd like to see them work out a deal for Mark. We don't have the time to develop and plug in a new RT.

Moll? A valuable back-up, but the guy is not a starter.

esoxx
11-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Hunter Hillenmeyer :?:

esoxx
11-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Generally speaking Green Bay figures if the player can't but it with the Bears they won't be worth a crap for us either :lol:

Seriously, though, I'm trying to think of the last ex Bear that had any success with Green Bay

WR Anthony Morgan is the only one I can think of. He started for us for a bit but was a well below average player

Rob Davis

Dabaddestbear
11-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Hunter Hillenmeyer :?:
I guess I was thinking about the ones that actually made a game day roster at some point for the other team. He was hidden away on the Packers practice squad.

Brohm
11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
No deal unless it's a home team discount. He and Clifton are slipping fast.

Or move him to guard :D

Iron Mike
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Ron Cox.

Dabaddestbear
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM

Ron Cox.
Who ever thought Ron Cox was special in any type of way? His best year was in 90 with the Bears. Was nothing more than a whisper since then.