PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk about Tight Ends!!

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
If your mind is in the gutter when you read that - it's ok. I stopped aging at 12 years old and still laugh at fart jokes. But on a football note:

Packers.com lists 6 TE's on the roster - Garrett Cross, Bubba Franks, Zac Alcorn, Tory Humphrey, Donald Lee and David Martin

Are we gonna keep 6 TE's? Obviously Bubba, Martin and Lee are the front runners.

What sort of stats are typically associated with the TE's as far as catches/attempts to throw to them in a traditional WC offense? How much TE action can we anticipate from MM's offense?

I recall an article about the acquisition of Garrett Cross but can't find it. I remember being enthused about Donald Lee and I think he is positioned to have a break out season.

:D :mrgreen:

The Leaper
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I think Bubba, Lee and Martin are virtual locks to make this team. The other guys just don't have anything near the talent of the top 3.

I'm hoping Lee can take the next step this year in an offense crafted more around the TE. His speed is going to be needed up the middle of the field to keep LBs honest from jumping the slant routes.

I'm not sure what to expect from MM in terms of the TE. He has made comments that seem to suggest more activity than what we saw from Sherman in terms of getting TEs up the field. Utilizing a 2 TE set would be fabulous...because we have plenty of talent and depth at TE right now.

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm still stuck in the gutter. How tight are we talking here?

Anyway, I do hope they work Franks a lot more and I know Lee will be around. I wonder if they'll be keeping an extra body or two on the practice squad just to see what they can do and in case the injury bug hits again (God forbid).

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 03:45 PM

I guess that all depends on age and milage.

:mrgreen: :D

KYPack
06-28-2006, 03:48 PM

Anyway, I do hope they work Franks a lot more and I know Lee will be around. I wonder if they'll be keeping an extra body or two on the practice squad just to see what they can do and in case the injury bug hits again (God forbid).

C'mon MS Zig.

A male?

Football Player?

With a tight end?

Ya know, I know ya do.

I think Cap't K just didn't realize how far you have to go to be considered "in the gutter" on here.

You think we'll keep two TE's eh?

That might be the case. I don't really have a handle on Coach's offensive philosopy. If he wants to have a strong WCO system, you need 3 TE's. I think we will have 3 decent TE's and if so we'll keep all 3 guys. Jags is an old TE coach. That's what he did here. That makes me think the TE will have a strong presence in our offense. I know Jags HATED the U-71, but likes to use the TE in a lot of different looks. I think we'll keep 3, but we'll see.

pittstang5
06-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I gotta believe that Franks, Martin and Lee are it. I wish someone, anyone, would unseat Martin. I'm tired of his injury prone ass. He's like Fergie...has one good game then disappears or gets injured. I guess the coaches must like him or think they can do something with him since he's still on the roster.

Hopefully Cross looks decent in camp and they can sign him to the Practice Squad. He'll replace Martin when his ass goes on IR this year.

At least Ben, Hands of Steele is gone.

RashanGary
06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I think Martin is gone. Lee took his spot. Martin has reached his potential and it is only good enough to be the #3 TE on this team. I think one of the young guys is going to take his spot. Zac Alcorn has a chance.

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree. I would really like to see one of the younger guys beat out Martin. And we know by now that TT/M3 are not going to be gun shy about getting rid of players from the old regime who have run out of chances.

I thought I read something good about Alcorn from OTAs. Yes, I know - could I be any more vague.

Cross is from Cal, so he would have played with A-Rodg....?

(I think the thread topic was designed to draw high ratings from the female audience. Looks like it worked.)

wist43
06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Martin may have worn out his welcome... he's got talent, but he can't stay on the field.

Franks is a very good blocker and has reliable hands... certainly not worth the 1st round pick they gave up for him, but he's OK.

Lee has the most upside. They need to use him up the seam more and work him into more packages.

Packers TE's have actually caught a decent number of balls the past few years, but most of those catches were dinks/dunks or afterthoughts on busted plays. I'd like to see the TE position be integrated more into the playbook - with an emphasis on getting Lee down the field to occupy the safety over the top and the LB underneath. That would effectively open up opportunities for other routes by the WR's and RB's.

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I agree. I would really like to see one of the younger guys beat out Martin. And we know by now that TT/M3 are not going to be guy shy about getting rid of players from the old regime who have run out of chances.

I thought I read something good about Alcorn from OTAs. Yes, I know - could I be any more vague.

Cross is from Cal, so he would have played with A-Rodg....?

(I think the thread topic was designed to draw high ratings from the female audience. Looks like it worked.)

That's what it was - Cross was all giddy to be here 'cause of A-Rodg.

FC seems to be very astute. How dare I insinuate a dichotomy geared at a specific gender. Shame on me.

Oh yeah - FC - what's "guy shy"?

:mrgreen: :D

FavreChild
06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Freudian slip??

I'll edit quickly before tank finds it and pollutes the thread. :mrgreen:

Let's hear more about those tight ends!

Partial
06-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Martin may have worn out his welcome... he's got talent, but he can't stay on the field.

Franks is a very good blocker and has reliable hands... certainly not worth the 1st round pick they gave up for him, but he's OK.

Lee has the most upside. They need to use him up the seam more and work him into more packages.

Packers TE's have actually caught a decent number of balls the past few years, but most of those catches were dinks/dunks or afterthoughts on busted plays. I'd like to see the TE position be integrated more into the playbook - with an emphasis on getting Lee down the field to occupy the safety over the top and the LB underneath. That would effectively open up opportunities for other routes by the WR's and RB's.

does Lee have playmaker potential?

MJZiggy
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
That might be the case. I don't really have a handle on Coach's offensive philosopy. If he wants to have a strong WCO system, you need 3 TE's. I think we will have 3 decent TE's and if so we'll keep all 3 guys. Jags is an old TE coach. That's what he did here. That makes me think the TE will have a strong presence in our offense. I know Jags HATED the U-71, but likes to use the TE in a lot of different looks. I think we'll keep 3, but we'll see.

I don't have much of a handle on it either. He's made comments about better utilizing the tight ends and if he does that, then they increase in value to the team and it becomes more likely that they keep 2, maybe three and then keep AT LEAST one more on the practice squad in case one of your regular guys goes down. This will be an interesting position to watch once TC starts. Ah who am I kidding? Most positions will be interesting to watch come training camp!! And why is it that tight ends do not always have the tightest of ends?

the_idle_threat
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
And why is it that tight ends do not always have the tightest of ends?

Maybe you've seen too much of the U-71 package. :lol:

CaptainKickass
06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
The rats are just craking me up!

I am sitting at work and my cohorts cannot figure out why I am LMFAO!

I'll tell you why - so far we've used:

fart jokes
How tight are we talking here
Freudian slip
Let's hear more about those tight ends!
why is it that tight ends do not always have the tightest of ends?
seen too much of the U-71 package

All this in a football forum. In fact the only phrase that's missing is this:

"Getting deep penetration in the backfield"

I should change my frickin' name to Captain Context!

:D HAHAHAHAHA!!! :mrgreen:

PackerPro42
06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
I was really impressed with Lee last year.