PDA

View Full Version : Who is the weak link on the O-Line?

Brando19
11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Our O Line sucks...it's obvious. I believe there needs to be some reshuffling. Who do you believe is the weak link on the O-Line? Don't pick the whole line...just choose one.

Iron Mike
11-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Our O Line sucks...it's obvious. I believe there needs to be some reshuffling. Who do you believe is the weak link on the O-Line? Don't pick the whole line...just choose one.

Bwahahaha!!! Why not????

Brohm
11-09-2008, 02:45 PM
That's a tough call as shit is breaking down everywhere. Between the lack of stength on the inside and the lack of mobility on the outside, it's just ugly.

esoxx
11-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Scott Wells played a horrific game today.

wist43
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
The philosophy is weak...

You guys know where I stand on this... gimme power football, all day, every day.

Look at the Vikings, POS QB, but can run the ball for over 200 yds, and beat down a systematically flawed defense like the Packers. What amazes me, is that the Vikings ever put the ball in the air.

Wells is a blown-up Fullback, Colledge is a wimp, Clifton can't run block - at all... pick your guilty part out of a hat.

Brando19
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Scott Wells played a horrific game today.
I agree. I believe Wells is the weak link in the line.

Zool
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Clifton can't run block - at all... pick your guilty part out of a hat.

Apparently he's lost his ability to pass block as well.

DonHutson
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't pick the whole line...just choose one.

There in lies the problem. They take turns to ensure that someone different steps up to be the weak link on nearly every down. Much the same way the defensive players take turns being the one guy out of position in the run D to allow the big play.

Given that and the complete lack of progress made by any of these guys in the Campen era... well, I've said it before. I just don't think he's much of a coach. Everyone likes to slam Schottenheimer, but at least some of his young players are improving.

retailguy
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I think the weak link changes from game to game. I don't think it is one individual, it is lack of consistency.

The play today was HORRIBLE. Other than Tauscher, you could pick one. It really doesn't matter.

Today, Wells or Colledge. Take your pick. Cliffy seems about washed up, I just hope he's really injured. If not, he's done. I think we should bench Wells, and Cliffy. Stick Colledge at LT, Barbre/Sitton at RT and Spitz at C.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Rodgers

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I think the weak link changes from game to game. I don't think it is one individual, it is lack of consistency.

The play today was HORRIBLE. Other than Tauscher, you could pick one. It really doesn't matter.

Today, Wells or Colledge. Take your pick. Cliffy seems about washed up, I just hope he's really injured. If not, he's done. I think we should bench Wells, and Cliffy. Stick Colledge at LT, Barbre/Sitton at RT and Spitz at C.

Amen.

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Rodgers

No quarterback is going to function with unabated blitzers pounding him all day.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Rodgers

No quarterback is going to function with unabated blitzers pounding him all day.

guys like Roethlisberger, Manning, Favre, Brees, top of the line guys do

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Rodgers

From me this is no longer about who our QB is

But AROD needs to make the throws when he has time regardless of how much pressure he was feeling on other plays. He did not play well today.

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:09 PM
So you're telling me that every single time Manning or Favre or Big Ben runs into pressure like this, they always have a good offensive performance? They've never once had the o-line completely fall apart and have it result in a loss?

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
So you're telling me that every single time Manning or Favre or Big Ben runs into pressure like this, they always have a good offensive performance? They've never once had the o-line completely fall apart and have it result in a loss?

they probably have never had 50 passing yards late in the 3rd quarter.. no matter how bad they've played... he was embarrassing today and im sure brett is chuckling in NY

cpk1994
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM

Today, Wells or Colledge. Take your pick. Cliffy seems about washed up, I just hope he's really injured. If not, he's done. I think we should bench Wells, and Cliffy. Stick Colledge at LT, Barbre/Sitton at RT and Spitz at C.Im assuming you are putting Tauscher at G or meant Barbre/Sitton at RG.

retailguy
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Rodgers

You know, this is utter bullshit.

The weak link in Pittsburg is the OL. And Rothlisberger? Oh yeah, he's HURT and hurt pretty bad from the sound of it.

Indy's OL has been beat up this year. Saturday has been out and so have others. As a result, Manning has looked pedestrian at best. Favre? How many INT's has he thrown? Of all that you mentioned he's played about the best, and it hasn't been fabulous. Brees? Can you say inconsistent? They just lost to the Falcons today.

You really should spend some more time watching this game. Getting the "Why is Favre gone" bias out of your system might help too. Your black goggles are impeding your view.

I despise Ted Thompson. But not for getting rid of Brett Favre. There are so many better reasons than that. Sending Brett to the Jets was the right call, just like sending Joe Montana to the Chiefs. It was time.

cpk1994
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
So you're telling me that every single time Manning or Favre or Big Ben runs into pressure like this, they always have a good offensive performance? They've never once had the o-line completely fall apart and have it result in a loss?Apparently Paco never saw the first 8 times Favre went into the Metrodome.

retailguy
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Today, Wells or Colledge. Take your pick. Cliffy seems about washed up, I just hope he's really injured. If not, he's done. I think we should bench Wells, and Cliffy. Stick Colledge at LT, Barbre/Sitton at RT and Spitz at C.Im assuming you are putting Tauscher at G or meant Barbre/Sitton at RG.

Yes, good catch. Tauscher is the least of the problem...

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
So you're telling me that every single time Manning or Favre or Big Ben runs into pressure like this, they always have a good offensive performance? They've never once had the o-line completely fall apart and have it result in a loss?Apparently Paco never saw the first 8 times Favre went into the Metrodome.

Im not sure.. but if I had to put money on it.. I would guess that favre has NEVER... EVER had only 36 yards passing thru 3quarters... thats embarrasing

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Don't guess. If you want to make an assertion like that, go look it up.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I did.. it was never

cpk1994
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Im not sure.. but if I had to put money on it.. I would guess that favre has NEVER... EVER had only 36 yards passing thru 3quarters... thats embarrasingYes, but Favre completely fell apart many times in the metrodome before he got it right. I remember it all too well. One bad game for Rodgers at the Metrodome doesn't concern me at ll.

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM

I did.. it was never

What's the worst 3Q yardage Favre had?

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM

I did.. it was never

What's the worst 3Q yardage Favre had?

no idea

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Then go actually look it up before you make stupid assertions and then lie about them, troll.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Then go actually look it up before you make stupid assertions and then lie about them, troll.

i dont wanna

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Then shut the fuck up.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Then shut the fuck up.

you shut the fuck up.. if u think its wrong, prove it!

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm not making stupid assertions about no decent quarterback EVER. Ever is a long time, but if you're not ready to back up your stupid assertions, don't make them. Favre was a great quarterback for us, and I've seen every game he played for the Pack. Some of them were stinkers and if you recall he nearly got himself benched a couple times. So if you're going to make claims like these, either back yourself up or shut up.

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not making stupid assertions about no decent quarterback EVER. Ever is a long time, but if you're not ready to back up your stupid assertions, don't make them. Favre was a great quarterback for us, and I've seen every game he played for the Pack. Some of them were stinkers and if you recall he nearly got himself benched a couple times. So if you're going to make claims like these, either back yourself up or shut up.

no?

Partial
11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Scott Wells, but todays problem was the scrambling.

CaliforniaCheez
11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
The coach and his Zone Blocking Disaster!!

Gunakor
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
The coach and his Zone Blocking Disaster!!

The run game was the part of the offense that was working today. ZBS does not apply to pass protection. That was not the issue.

Fred's Slacks
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Rodgers

Yeah, Manning looked great against us. :roll:

Noodle
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
The complaints about the ZBS and the lack of passpro are related, a little, in that you draft smaller, quicker guys for ZBS, and they don't always hold up so well on passpro unless they are strong and have great technique.

You can get big guys who are agile enough to play zbs, but they are hard to find, and if you try to get them in FA, they are very expensive.

MateoInMex
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I would say that weak link in the offensive line is Ted Thompson. His failure to adequately sign veteran free agents who would fit the Packers' scheme and his failure so far to draft better quality linemen are the reason why the line isn't better. I don't think it's appropriate to single out one guy, when there are a few. No matter what line of work or sport, the quality of the product starts from the top, and Ted Thompson is responsible for the quality on the field.

As another poster pointed to me in the game thread... Thompson was quoted as saying "Guards are a dime a dozen".

He better find some new one or the current ones will kill their quarterback.

cpk1994
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I would say that weak link in the offensive line is Ted Thompson. His failure to adequately sign veteran free agents who would fit the Packers' scheme and his failure so far to draft better quality linemen.

As another poster pointed to me in the game thread... Thompson was quoted as saying "Guards are a dime a dozen".

He better he some new one or the current ones will kill their quarterback.You say he failed in FA. Then who should he have gotten? Name names. THere hasn't been any one outside of Hutchinson who would have been worth it and he is severly overpaid.

mission
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

He was only but a seed ... :lol:

Ballboy
11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
In rewatching the game, the Viking sent 5 almost every time.....yet we sent five rarely, and when we did, it was delayed.

Cliffy has certainly lost alot.

Gunakor
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
The complaints about the ZBS and the lack of passpro are related, a little, in that you draft smaller, quicker guys for ZBS, and they don't always hold up so well on passpro unless they are strong and have great technique.

You can get big guys who are agile enough to play zbs, but they are hard to find, and if you try to get them in FA, they are very expensive.

I hear where you are coming from, but this same OL was moving that same DL just fine in week 1. I saw Daryn Colledge move massive Pat Williams back 3 yards on a Rodgers TD sneak a few months ago. Now, they get manhandled. It's not the players, it's the way they are playing right now.

MateoInMex
11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I would say that weak link in the offensive line is Ted Thompson. His failure to adequately sign veteran free agents who would fit the Packers' scheme and his failure so far to draft better quality linemen.

He better he some new one or the current ones will kill their quarterback.You say he failed in FA. Then who should he have gotten? Name names. THere hasn't been any one outside of Hutchinson who would have been worth it and he is severly overpaid.

I'm not a name dropper. OK. Larry Allen, Flozell Adams, Jacob Bell....and I just pulled those out from an ESPN Free Agent list. The point is anyone might be better than what Thompson has right now...with the exception of Mark Tauscher.

Also I didn't specifically say FA was the only option, but it might have helped. I would disagree with noone outside of Hutchinson being worth it as well. If you looked at the GB Packers quarterback today, you and I both know there's got to be someone out there who can play NFL football that can protect the quarterback better today.

I have to take my son out to eat, but I definately want to continue the discussion.

ThunderDan
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Rodgers

I call BULLSHIT on you.

Week 8 Pittsburg at The Giants

Roethlisberger sacked 5 times.

13/29 189 yards 1TD 4INTS

ThunderDan
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM

Rodgers

I call BULLSHIT on you.

Week 7 Jets at Oakland

Favre sacked 3 times.

21/38 197 yards 2 INTS

And that was against Oakland!!!

ThunderDan
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh and that doesn't include his 3 lost fumbles.

PackerTimer
11-09-2008, 08:17 PM

they probably have never had 50 passing yards late in the 3rd quarter.. no matter how bad they've played... he was embarrassing today and im sure brett is chuckling in NY

Were we watching the same game? Rodgers had 98 yards at halftime. Nothing stellar but I'm sure Favre and many other QB's have had those types of numbers.

Keep in mind Rodgers hardly had the ball at all in the third quarter considering an interception return for a TD and the punt return. I doubt he would have put up big numbers considering all that had happened. Besides, your stats aren't even correct.

And don't tell me your counting sack yardage into that equation. Because nobody subtracts sack yardage from a QB's passing yards.

Rodgers played a pretty bad game, but really, RG is 100% right, your Favre man crush has made you a complete and utter idiot when it comes to Aaron Rodgers.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
remember, the Packers O-line pretty well handled the Vikings defensive line in the first game.

The dome is hard on O-linemen, obviously. ITs loud, and the defenders get a better jump on turf.

I thought Clifton was embarassed. But it was more of a group failure, a lot of the pressures on Rogers came from unblocked defenders. That means the O line was confused.

MateoInMex
11-09-2008, 10:58 PM
remember, the Packers O-line pretty well handled the Vikings defensive line in the first game.

The dome is hard on O-linemen, obviously. ITs loud, and the defenders get a better jump on turf.

I thought Clifton was embarassed. But it was more of a group failure, a lot of the pressures on Rogers came from unblocked defenders. That means the O line was confused.

I have heard that playing in the Metrodome is one of the toughest places for opposing teams linemen. And the first game of the Packers/Vikings series 2008-09 seems years ago...but they did play that game in GB. I agree with you Harlan, but I would also say that Brad Childress' record against GB since he took over was 0-5.

0-5!!!!! Childress is on the hottest of hot seats...I would have thought MM would have had his team better prepared going into this game. MM's been to the Metrodome plenty of times, he and his staff know how loud it can get in there.

I am also not sure how much of an issue defensive players jumping off the turf should be made into. That's on the coaches. The Packers themselves practice on turf at the Hutson, so I wouldn't expect them to be surprised at the difference in the jumpoffs, offensive or defensive. They weren't prepared IMO, they overlooked the Vikings...and they played like sh**.
There is only so much manufactured noise the GB sound guru's can plug into the Hutson Center to give it a more real playing environment, but it was the Packer line that struggled, on both sides. But as fans, we hear that all the time...the false starts are major mental mistakes. Being an NFC team, the Packers should NOT struggle that much on false starts in a place they play every freaking year.

RashanGary
11-10-2008, 06:20 AM
I'd say Wells and Clifton are the two weak links. Wells being #1.

Rodgers was also confused today and the pass protection was just unsure all day. The Vikings employed a similar defense to the one that the Giants used to beat New England. They brought 8 up to the line and most of the time dropped the linebackers back to devour slants.

Rodgers has had a habbit of checking to run or throwing slants against blitz pressure (similar to what NE likes to do) so he would make a presnap read and when the play developed, the LB would be there to get the slant or hot read. Rodgers would then hold the ball and look to his next option. In the mean time, the OL was confused by the stacked line and the Vikings top DL would be having their way with our guys with one on one blocks. Because the hot reads were being jumped and the pressure was to heavy to stop we never were able to gash them deep like we would have if the line held up. Same as the NE game. Remember Bradys big eyes. He was getting crushed.

The Vikings called a great game, the same type of game that gave the biggest SB underdog a win against what was thought to be the best team in NFL history. It all starts with a couple dominate lineman and then when you throw in some confusion, those dominate players get put in positions to succeed. We lost. The Vikings called a great game on defense and their best players played great.

Rodgers and the Packers can learn from this. The OL can get better, but I think it will be without the two weak links.

packrulz
11-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I think Cliffy's knees are so bad he can hardly play anymore, Colledge is average at LG, he might be better suited to back up Cliffy at LT, or cut him. I think they should move Spitz to LG & put Sitton in at RG. I thought it was a typical fistfight at the humpdome, I thought Crosby would make the field goal at the end, oh well. The Packers smoked the Queens in the first game, so I'm not ready to scrap the whole season, it wasn't like they got their asses kicked. The Williams boys make lots of O-lines look bad. I agree with Troy Aikman, M3 doesn't run the ball enough to keep the defense honest, the need to use BJack more too. I like the picks by our D, Woodson is playing lights out, nice return by Blackmon.

cpk1994
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM

I have heard that playing in the Metrodome is one of the toughest places for opposing teams linemen. And the first game of the Packers/Vikings series 2008-09 seems years ago...but they did play that game in GB. I agree with you Harlan, but I would also say that Brad Childress' record against GB since he took over was 0-5.

0-5!!!!! Childress is on the hottest of hot seats...I would have thought MM would have had his team better prepared going into this game. MM's been to the Metrodome plenty of times, he and his staff know how loud it can get in there.

I am also not sure how much of an issue defensive players jumping off the turf should be made into. That's on the coaches. The Packers themselves practice on turf at the Hutson, so I wouldn't expect them to be surprised at the difference in the jumpoffs, offensive or defensive. They weren't prepared IMO, they overlooked the Vikings...and they played like sh**.
There is only so much manufactured noise the GB sound guru's can plug into the Hutson Center to give it a more real playing environment, but it was the Packer line that struggled, on both sides. But as fans, we hear that all the time...the false starts are major mental mistakes. Being an NFC team, the Packers should NOT struggle that much on false starts in a place they play every freaking year.McCarthy could have had them perfectly prepared, but its on the players to take that from the practive field and film room to the game. Thats why I never have bought into the old line "coach X didn't have them prepared" becuase it absolves players of any blame.

AV David
11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I haven't formed an opinion on Scott Wells yet. I had an end zone seat at the game yesterday. From what I could see, the most pressure came from the offensive left side of the line. I use then word "offensive" in its dual descriptive capacity. It was horrible.

I am now ready to join the "scrap the zone blocking scheme" crowd. It has been 2 1/2 years and it just doesn't work here. Whether that is coaching or lack of talent, I don't know.

As an interim measure, maybe the Packers should run a couple of zone plays mixed with more traditional power blocking plays. (I did see a really nice trap play in the first half where Grant gained 10 - 12 yards.)

In my view, the biggest weakness is the guard play, especially on third down or other short yardage runs. The Packers have been describing Allen Barbre as tough, strong and mobile for 1 1/2 years now. I say give him a chance. Same with Sitton. If he was good enough to be named the starter before his injury, he ought to be worth a shot now. I think we have to see what all of these guys can do NOW.

I say move Spitz to center. Put Barbre at LG and Sitton at RG. They are both supposed to be brawlers. If they can handle the nuances of the job, problem solved. If not, at least you know they cannot handle the job. Move Colledge to LT. Leave all of them there until it is clear they have succeeded or it is clear they have failed. In my experience, there is only one thing worse than being screwed: Being screwed and not knowing it yet. You cannot fix something until you know what's broken.

It looks to me the 2009 draft should be heavy on OL and DL.

I need to preface this next remark: I was not on drugs nor was I drunk, but J. Harrell made two very nice plays yesterday. On one he stood up to a double team extremely well. On the next play, he moved to his left and made the tackle for a 2 yard gain. That is all I could really see. Most of the action yesterday was near the far end zone. Thompson did not look good to me at all.