PDA

View Full Version : Since when is this no longer a penalty??

esoxx
11-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Two times at key moments in the game Adrian Peterson removes his helmet on the field and keeps it off. The first occurred after his fumble on 4th and 1 (after he barked at Chilly to go for it, nice call AP) and then again on the TD run late in the 4th.
This had been called a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty since at least 1999 but I guess it matters who has their helmet off?
The first penatly gives the Packers the ball at the Viking 25. A much better position for a TD versus the subsequent FG they got.
The second penalty gives way better starting position as well and likely a much more makeable FG.
For all the penalties called on GB, they overlook two obvious ones as noted above.
Either throw the flag or amend the rule.

Brando19
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Two times at key moments in the game Adrian Peterson removes his helmet on the field and keeps it off. The first occurred after his fumble on 4th and 1 (after he barked at Chilly to go for it, nice call AP) and then again on the TD run late in the 4th.
This had been called a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty since at least 1999 but I guess it matters who has their helmet off?
The first penatly gives the Packers the ball at the Viking 25. A much better position for a TD versus the subsequent FG they got.
The second penalty gives way better starting position as well and likely a much more makeable FG.
For all the penalties called on GB, they overlook two obvious ones as noted above.
Either throw the flag or amend the rule.

Didn't you know? The refs made alot of money today.

DonHutson
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Speaking of AP with his helmet off, does Trojan sponsor is headwear? He even had a reservoir tip on that condom hat of his.

Bretsky
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Early on this was called often

But I haven't seen this rule enforced in a while

Anybody recall a call of this last year or this year ?

esoxx
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM

It's true they seemed to have thrown the flag less but usually what I see is they will give the guy latitude if he's walking to the sideline and takes it off as he goes.

With Peterson, he had it off in the middle of the field while jaw-jacking with the officials (over what I have no idea) and then takes it off after scoring the TD. That was the exact reason they put the rule in to begin with b/c players kept removing their helmets in a "look at me" type celebration.

If they don't want to enforce it fine, but amend the rule and get rid of it.

BallHawk
11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Speaking of AP with his helmet off, does Trojan sponsor is headwear? He even had a reservoir tip on that condom hat of his.

And I thought I was the only one that noticed this.....

Pacopete4
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM

And I thought I was the only one that noticed this.....

no u def weren't... i thought my dad might go thru the tv yelling and screaming about it.. insane

BZnDallas
11-09-2008, 05:00 PM

if i remember correctly, the packers got flagged for this a couple weeks ago, and at the same time one of the opposition had their helmet off at the exact same time and we got flagged for it!

Ballboy
11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
more about the refs

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34176494.html

MadtownPacker
11-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I was wondering about this too. About three 15 yarders that he got a way with.

bobblehead
11-10-2008, 02:17 PM
yep, just more proof that the NFL was making the pack pay for the favre thing.....well, probably not, but what a horribly officiated game.

Rastak
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
yep, just more proof that the NFL was making the pack pay for the favre thing.....well, probably not, but what a horribly officiated game.

Nah, I saw that a couple of times last weekend and wondered why there was no call. I don't know why they pretty much stopped calling it.

Rastak
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Check that, Vernon Davis just got called. They really need to get these refs on the same page...it either is a penalty or it isn't.

MJZiggy
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Did Singletary eject him from the game for it?

Ballboy
11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
agreed, these refs really need to figure out what is going on.

MadtownPacker
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Check that, Vernon Davis just got called. They really need to get these refs on the same page...it either is a penalty or it isn't.davis did it after the end of a possesion, peterson was doing it while the damn clock was running.

Noodle
11-10-2008, 10:06 PM
No surprise on the different treatment.

One guy is the future of the league at RB (and, if God is a Packer, the future Madden covergirl).

The other is a loud-mouthed asshat.

Jordan rules.